Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

It definitely takes some time for Kui's meticulous worldbuilding to pay off, and I might have ended up dropping the manga if I hadn't started reading it in the middle of its run. I don't know if the first 3 eps are going to cover up to the point when I first started really getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i think the audience that dubbed anime is trying to reach is way more sensitive to mismatched mouths than stilted dialogue

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

To go a bit beyond the sign without treading into manga spoilers, there is obviously something up with an entire magical kingdom getting sucked underground and turned into a dungeon that later a guy who says he's the king crawls out of, tells people to 'kill the wizard', and immediately turns into dust, which also features weird illusions of said kingdom's past.

Admin edit: This is literally a spoiler from way down the line in the manga

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dont know why this got clapped when it's literally a rundown of the first minute of episode 1

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zeruel posted:

people have to learn at some point that anime doesn't automatically equal kid friendly, especially when episode one opens with a person being eaten by a dragon. maybe they'll learn when watching namari getting her brains blown out by the undine

There's definitely degrees to how graphic the violence can end up being; like this is G-rated getting pierced through the chest by an arrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGlsxYcmfk&t=321s

and like, compared to a still image in the manga the big difference is the shot composition, length of scene, and amount of blood shown

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
laios would go to castlevania just to taste the wall roast chicken

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think the difference is that the orc raid and undine scenes were considerably less graphic in the manga, so the dragon and dark mage fights actually were considerably more violent than anything that had come before

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
she gets 2 jeans, one for each pair of legs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you gotta separate out whether laios and shuro are deliberately or unknowingly ignoring social cues

laios: didn't recognize shuro's indirect cues because he isn't built that way

shuro: wasn't direct with how he disliked laios because his social upbringing taught him to be indirect about it

shuro: didn't tell falin how he felt earlier because of personal hangups

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
asides from the falingon reveal, the other big turning point at this time in the manga is that the plot just goes full steam ahead after this point; every chapter after this point was a total banger

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Are they still gonna eat :ohdear:
:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's a lot of "show don't tell" in dungeon meshi and you decided to bring a bullhorn