Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
God, the shot of the mage alone with Falin, framed by the dragon's bones is so good. And I'm always excited to see Chilchuck having to get over his cool guy act and admit how much he cares

NmareBfly posted:

Sure! I just mean in reference to 'some names don't translate well.'

Caca is poo poo in Spanish.

Someone said Kiki is also peepee but even after several googles leading me to places I didn't want to be, I cannot verify this.

In Bisaya (and maybe some other Filipino languages?) kiki means vagina, so yeah both of them got hit with the unintended meanings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Kabru needs to invent electronics, the internet, and podcasts all so he can chat about mega-felonies

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Shoehead mentioned Griffith, but I know of at least one person who thought a picture of Kabru was Casca

Also, yeah, even the official manga translation guessed wrong on a few characters' genders.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 20, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Everyone else imagines getting useful advice about workers' rights or cooking on a budget, meanwhile the only one I can manifest is Marcille insisting ancient magic is simply the logical endpoint of Be Gay Do Crime

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

amigolupus posted:

"You don't bother to contribute to the discussion at hand, and keep posting reaction tweets from chuds as if we want to see it. Posters who keep making GBS threads up the DnD subforum keeps growing, and good posters in this thread will leave if this continues. That's why...I have to permaban posters like you."

I want to see Kabru as a SA mod if only because it'll likely end in a dozen meltdowns, two offshoot sites, and him eating a 100k probe so he can watch but not interact with his posting enemies

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 23, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I would keep in mind that Swamp Jawn sometimes calls more attention to foreshadowing than the story itself does. We're thankfully past the first big one (Marcille using ancient magic to revive Falin) but there are still one or two things that haven't been explicitly commented on in the story yet. As far as I can recall they haven't outright said what the hints actually mean, so it's "you can see X in the background" and not "X is a hint about Y". Outside of the episode breakdowns, they have another Dungeon Meshi video from before the first episode's release, hyping up the story while showing characters and panels from much later than where we're at now, including one storyline reveal - even the thumbnail is from very close to the end. But that one's not in the breakdown playlist so as long as you stick to that it should be fine.

I've definitely been having fun watching them break down the animation though, and some scenes have a lot going on frame-by-frame that's easy to miss when watching! The latest analysis has a lot of focus on that close-up of Laios emerging from the mushy brick wall and it is both very gross and very informative.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 24, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Goddrat the animation on both fight scenes was so slick. And the voice-acting for the latter one, too :smith:

Poor Chilchuck going through all stages of grief in three seconds at the start of the ep, meanwhile Senshi spends the whole episode minding his business. Love those two

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm still not over the dissonance of having Falin bounce into view with such grace and beauty immediately after smashing someone into a pulp. Truly the storyboarder understands the target audience lol

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Kuro's even the only one of Kabru's party who isn't immediately disgusted with the harpy omelettes and actually seems kinda down with it. Truly he is the goodest boy

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's only on my mind because I JUST turned the episode on in another tab but I like the way Kabru got Shuro to calm down right at the start of the episode by aggressively agreeing with him. Dude always knows the right buttons to push.

Which makes his "I have to kill him" moment with the harpy omelet even funnier. How do you get check mated by Laios.

One panel I wish made the cut was right between Kabru grinning about the reveal and him speaking up, when he realizes it could turn violent if someone doesn't intervene. Specifically, he's afraid that it'll not only turn deadly but that he'll somehow get killed too by standing too close.

I highly doubt it'd have actually gone that far but lmao nonetheless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Laios and Shuro should kiss

Synthbuttrange posted:

He cant Kabru is busy kissing him

Make them all kiss, no one should be left out of the dysfunction

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Some scenes and chapters have been rearranged to accommodate the two-per-episode standard, most notably Dryads being pushed to after Sea Serpent. I remember some people speculating that the nightmares would be pushed back too or that Shapeshifters would be shortened so that some more of Izutsumi's introduction could be squeezed in at the end, but I couldn't see either of those working any better than what we got.

Happy catgirl day, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Ah, I see! And yeah, I do like the narrative flow of "these guys think our heroes might be criminal masterminds! Back to our heroes, here they are lost and starving"

I think the other big change was splitting up some of Kabru's scenes around the time the main party was trying to cross the water. Now that I think of it there are a rare few eps where they did manage to fit three chapters, but some stuff had to be cut in exchange.