Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My adventuring colleague kept complaining that mandrakes kept killing his dogs, so I asked him how many dogs he has and he said every time he needs a mandrake he just went to the shelter and got another one. So I said it sounds like he’s just feeding shelter dogs to mandrakes and his elf wizard companion started crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fun bit of anime/DnD history is that Record of Lodoss War, famously, started out as a narrativized retelling of actual DnD sessions, but when the creators wanted to make an official Lodoss module, TSR told them to go to hell. so they made an entirely new system that eventually became Sword World RPG, which is significantly more popular in Japan than post-AD&D dungeons and dragons has ever managed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

As I understand it Cour is a production/broadcast thing for delineating batches of episodes for broadcast on TV that got picked up by the fan community around the time shows started doing 12-13 episode seasons that only occupied one broadcast block more, rather than half-year or full-year runs

This is also why it’s a little inconsistent on whether a cour is 12 or 13 episodes, because it depends on which block of the year it was scheduled for

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

As someone who likes alliteration Mad Mage is a better name.

There's a point in Trigun where the main antagonists appear and the episodes shift in tone from action adventure to action drama. There's still funny moments throughout but a few characters in particular who switch the tone over to outright horror when they appear, particularly a man named Legato.

More specifically, trigun is a largely comedic series with a lead that acts like a cartoon character with a lot of episodes that revolve around straight up gags, and then halfway through the series the main antagonists show up and brutally massacre a whole village

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Kabru gets that that's likely; he just thinks it's a sign that there's something wrong with Laios for him to be technically competent but still gullible.

This is the big thing; remember that he’s composing laios to the lord of the island, who he previously described as being kind of incompetent.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Killing the corpse retrieval bandits may have come off as harsh but then again, we’re operating under the same conditions as someone who flies a white flag under false pretenses or sounds a fake SOS as bait. Your crime isn’t just that you hosed some specific people over, you’re undermining the whole honor code the wild west system you’re in runs on. What happens when people start hearing rumors about crooked corpse retrievers and start attacking them in the dungeon? The whole system would fall apart.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The more interesting question is how they’d deal with the corpse retrievers after the jig was up. I posit that Chilchuck would immediately go for killing their asses on the very practical basis that they’re loving up the whole system something fierce, but whether or not the rest of the gang would back him up (since he’s definitely not as good at murder as Kabru) is up for debate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It helps that unlike Laios, who appears to be a fairly average fighter who just happens to have some extremely specific skill ranks, Falin is a wizard who’s even acknowledged in-universe to be extremely powerful for her stature even before getting gassed up on red dragon blood

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lmao at shuro trying to get rid of laios with subtle social cues a normal person would get. Buddy, the first time he met you he infodumped you for five hours, in what world did you convince yourself that might work

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think the thing is that a lot of people mistakenly think dungeon meshi is a less sexual work than the anime baseline because it doesn’t have painted-on clothing and constant pantyshots of the female cast, when the truth is that it’s extremely horny, Ryoko Kui is just a monster-fucker

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Do not downplay this

Really he should be shamed for not carrying more projectiles

Dont act like you can expect people to work outside contract scope, he was hired as a picklock and does that very well

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lazy Fair posted:

Another interesting bit from Laios' nightmare, he used to be a soldier but quit? ran away? deserted?

I want to say it was mentioned way back during the ghost episode or another one going into his and falin’s pasts that he left home real young to be a soldier but quit to be a gold stripper/adventurer around the time Falin left school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

https://x.com/geckked/status/1789988977451167833?s=46&t=Eph69498B1QxDhhh3gTqIg