Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maybe this kingdom has a severe overabundance of dogs and killing them is an additional bonus?
Alternatively, the guy who came up with that procedure and helped making it a common thing just really hated dogs.

The strangest part of it, imo, is that you need a well-trained dog, which implies that there is an entire industry of constantly training new mandrake dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

maybe the book has more dog related techniques that make more sense and its like, hey here is one more use for a dog!

Like a disposable dog is just one of the standard multipurpose wizard tools?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frankly it's always been weird how easy it is to summon 1d3 dogs in D&D.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess that really is what it says in the book.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think its even funnier that senshi knew they would be too tough, as if hes tried before

Historically, eating leather is fairly common in times of food scarcity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's an RPG setting where death just means your friends have to pay some priest back at town to revive you. Unless you get fully digested and there's nothing to cast the spell on, which is where the whole thing with rescuing Laios's sister comes from. They don't expect her to somehow magically be alive in the dragon's stomach, they just want to retrieve her corpse before it's too late to resurrect her.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It probably helps to understand that in Japanese, the word "human" is even more synonymous with "person" than it is in English. Calling a fantasy race anything other than human (and even in English they're not different species, just races) is on its face pretty insulting? Dehumanizing, you might say.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In case it's not clear, that's not a spoiler, it's just the artist of the manga drawing Baldur's Gate fanart because she is a Western RPG nerd.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Yeah in Dwarf fortress theres a name generation mechanic where you can customize every syllable of a name which corrisponds to a meaning in the language. For example Koganusân is Boatmurdered
I feel like it would be easier to translate it to other western languages like german, spanish and french. but really hard to translate to an eastern language which is way different in structure.

That's exactly how kanji already work so it'd be super easy actually?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bones = soup stock, that's not even hard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elfface posted:

Yeah, (most?) fish don't have intercourse

A lot of sharks and rays have live births, iirc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elves just age slower so they're like toddlers in their teens.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I assume that's just a Fun Squid Fact.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm glad you shared this because the whole time they were having that conversation, I was thinking "they killed a dragon, surely there's some part of it they could sell to make some money". Kind of odd that they omitted it because it seems important?

They left in a little scene of Chilchuck freaking out about Senshi destroying the parts that sell well, but didn't explain it.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also didn't they say in a previous episode (I think one of the Namari ones) that another member of the old party also had a crush on or wanted to marry Fallin (Shogo who I'm assuming is the samurai looking dude in the OP and ED because Japanese sounding name)

Shuro is the samurai who's in love with Falin, yes.

He's also been shown in the anime during that little flashback of how they would normally fight dragons. He was the main damage dealer of the team.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 22, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's all anime speculation because manga spoilers get modded.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s this, Kabru says they don’t take enough interest in other people, which is why they were getting scammed.

And he's right, there was a joke earlier that Laios failed to recognize Kabru even after stumbling over his dead body twice (yet immediately recognized the kobold). His thesis is that Laios simply doesn't care about other people, and therefore would be a terrible person to possess the absolute power hiding in the dungeon. Of course you also have to consider that part of the reason Kabru thinks this is that it's the exact opposite of him, who pays far too much attention to what strangers are doing. And the implication is he thinks he'd be a much better person to trust with power.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, Laois/Kabru is his most popular ship, iirc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kabru's party seem like okay people, his own preconceptions notwithstanding.

Mickbell's a scab.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pretty sure your soul moves on if your corpse is destroyed. That's why there was a risk of moving Falin's skeleton. They normally don't WANT the soul to move on, so they can be resurrected. I guess there are like actual ghosts hanging about as well, but I don't think there's any implication that this is directly connected to the dungeon's resurrection-friendly soul magic. Like, ghosts are clearly implied to exist on the surface too, commonly enough for spirit mages and wandering exorcists to be a stable job, so I think that's unrelated.

IE: I don't think feeding their bodies to the fishes dooms their souls forever. They just die normally.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 5, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Kabru just gave me sorta fanatical paladin vibes. It’s very funny how bad they are against monsters tho

High charisma, checks out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He's mentioned several times that he carries assorted "seasonings" to add to the meal of the day.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

If it was monster venom he’d definitely be chugging that poo poo just to know what it tastes like, and not understand how fundamentally hosed the reasoning of “we’re in a dungeon so you can just revive me with some pig blood, what’s the problem” is.

Most venoms are meant to go directly into your bloodstream and can't survive your digestive system, it's probably fine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kabru mentioned in a previous episode that Shuro came on a boat with his full entourage, so it seems they were probably just hanging out in town while he went into the dungeon for his training journey. Like, having your retainers fight for you would have defeated the purpose of the training or something? Or he just fell in love with Falin and told them to stay behind so he could join her party.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tade is delightful. I like that these characters obviously have a whole set of issues and dynamics of their own that we're just barely seeing.

However for the life of me I don't understand the bit with the portraits.

The nanny was imagining the uninterrupted line of pure and elegant Japanese noblemen suddenly having a half-white heir after Toshiro marries Falin. She's kind of racist, so the idea puts her off. This is emphasized by having the artstyle of the portrait switch from traditional Japanese to more Western.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the dungeon is its own ecosystem and adventurers are key to balance. They exterminate excess monsters, but it is possible by balancing predatory monsters and prey monsters to create a dungeon without the need for adventurers, a self sustained dungeon if you will. This dungeon is not that, the mad mage is more concerned with his own inscrutable actions than dungeon efficiency.

Eh, Marcille has repeatedly described the dungeon as perfectly balanced in a way she only wishes she could emulate. It is not at all a sloppy dungeon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

He's not psycho or cynical. He's socio- plus any suffix we think is appropriate.

Sociophile.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

One thing to remember is all names are decided by the rights holder and their reasoning aren't always clear. There's been plenty of times where localization wanted to translate a pun and the rights holder wanted it kept in Japanese.

The rights holders have the final say, but most of the time they don't care and will make the translators decide on their own. Like, even asking the original creator what X name was supposed to be in English involves going through at least 3 middlemen, each of whom will regard the question as a huge waste of everyone's time. For the names to be forced, either the original creator has to make a fuss on their own (which they usually won't because they're just a little guy who doesn't want to rock the boat) or there's some big push for merch that they want consistent for branding reasons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with Kensuke is that it completely loses its association with swords in English.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

If you want to get super grognardy about it, the name doesn’t really refer to anything because the “ken” part is written in katakana.

You could just as easily call it Fisty or Healthbert or Ticketike or Tedonthaniel or any of the other million words in Japanese pronounced “ken”.

If you're dumb, sure.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think... we shouldn't be posting all of these just because they are technically not spoilers. It's bad form.

Basically, regardless of the original intentions, they are now being used as a loophole for manga readers to talk about the manga in the anime thread.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 23, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

According to the image, it looks like the feathers are there to help keep the human mammal bits warm in what is presumably a cold blooded creature

Dragons, like dinosaurs, have got to be endothermic. Also, like, birds have feathers and lizards do not so I don't think you understand how that works at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

You think so? I was kind of taken out of that scene honestly. It distracted from what should have been a horror moment to add in some unnecessary titillating content, at least for me.

More or less than Laios calling her cool immediately beforehand? She's supposed to be simultaneously horrific and cool/sexy, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, Shuro very explicitly promised to send his ninjas to smuggle them out if it comes down to it. So they definitely could leave, if not openly. Not to their normal lives though, of course.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Owned by Wizards of the Coast so they'd get sued.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Y'know, I would take Shuro more seriously as a character if he didn't elect to have his entourage/emergency dungeoneering party be made up exclusively of sexy ninja ladies who all adore him, including his childhood nanny.

Only his nanny seems to adore him. The other retainers are fairly professional about it. That particular gif shows them reacting with shock that he's actually being nice to them for once, ie: he is not normally nice to them. They actually seem more attracted to Kabru than Shuro, seeing how they blushed when they first met him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, Chilchuck also interprets it like that, so even in-universe it's meant to look a little weird.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Could've just slit her throat harder if he wanted to take out her upper brain and voice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I read the article, as well as previous ones. I feel like the reviewer just doesn't like Dungeon Meshi very much. Or rather, doesn't understand why other people like it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

So I might have to rewatch the episode but when Shuro said "I'm out, I'm going home" did he mention if he was still going to go through with telling the Western Elves about Falin? Or did he drop that line of thought to give Laios and crew a chance to try it their way first?

Pretty sure he did not mention it. But also, like, they never even tried to get Kabru or his party to swear to secrecy so they might just be assuming that it'll get reported regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Laios would be in heaven if he fell into the Monster Hunter World.

Not episode related, just daydreaming about how Laios would interact with other fantasy settings focused on monsters.

There's an upcoming Dungeon Meshi crossover with Arknights, which has previously had a crossover with Monster Hunter, so Laios could canonically* meet Rathalos at least.

*Canonically to Arknights.