Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Alan Smithee posted:

so how much percentage of the series is the 24 episodes gonna cover?

Going by the pacing of two (sometimes three) chapters per episode, about half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Hihohe posted:

This episode was actually 4 chapters

The first Red Dragon chapter was incorporated into the previous wpisode.

It is the planning part and the pep talk.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Marsupial Ape posted:

Who the gently caress wears open toed shoes into a dungeon? Don’t even think about crushing injuries…think about all the stuff that will get in-between your toes.

Marcille and Senshi both have their toes out.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Chilchuck's reaction to Senshi works in the show as an "oh poo poo he's lighting a fire next to a monster famous for being extremely volatile he's gonna explode". It doesn't work as well as a joke of "holy poo poo he's gonna explode all the valuable parts and we're broke" but it still fits the footage shown.

I am 100% sure Chilchuck’s primary concern was Senshi’s wellbeing in that exact moment.

Normal res magic (aka using healing magic on a dead body and letting the dungeon’s spell do the rest) doesn’t work as well when a body is heavily damaged (plus, seeing how it was inferred that Falin’s soul was hanging on a thread to the skeleton, it seems like there’s a limit to how much damage a body can austain before the person is dead dead. Getting ‘sploded by a giant boom point blank seems like a good way to test that limit) and collecting Senshi’s remains from all over the place to do another devilish ritual seems like a crazy prospect.

Plus, you don’t wanna desensitize Laios to the dark magic res. He would try to commit suicide to get revived with dragon meat or some poo poo.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Chuder Empire.

Gonna repeat myself but I think the Twitter crowd really oversold these episodes being where the story takes a turn into the dark and twisted. It's creepy and ghoulish but still in line with whar has come before. It's not exactly a tonal sledgehammer like when Trigun shifted gears.

And I don't think it's a bad thing, either. It feels consistent with itself and it's striking a fine balance between its darkly comedic moments without diminishing the dramatic parts. It's fun.

Dungeon Meshi has a particular quality in common with the likes of Dorohedoro and Golden Kamuy.

It can be funny and wholesome one moment, dark and hosed up the other, and it can juggle those two extremes with ease. Sometimes it can even be both at once. So yeah, the poo poo gets real and it will continue to do so, but it will never stop being funny. If anything, it gets funnier.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

Childhood friends, he says

Roommates, even!

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Alan Smithee posted:

all that deductive reasoning and he still thinks they stole from them

there was zero eating of monsters this ep

Doesn't help that he is actively hoping it is them.

He said as much.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Yon posted:

Kuro deserves better.

It is funny how Mickbell, who's implied to be an exploitative employer, hates the idea of a union.

Sander fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 4, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Zeruel posted:

kabru's a loving arrogant sociopath
"oh the toudens gave money to their injured party members"
"oh thats nice of them-"
"but the injured party members were faking it and got into illegal manufacturing"
okay? isn't it more likely the party members were not being completely honest with the toudens and just taking their money?
fit to be the dungeon lord my rear end. "boy i hope im there when the mask (that i fabricated in my mind) falls off!!"
new opening nice, new ending crazy good

In addition to the points raised by others on this page, another reason he is negative on the Toudens is that their charity disincentivized those people from exploring the dungeon, as well as enabling them to start criminal activity.

Kabru has this belief that the dungeon should be conquered and its monster population controlled, so that monsters don’t start spilling out and killing people on the surface.

Notice how, when he executed the illusion caster in cold blood, he said “people like you are scaring all the decent folk away”. Anything that is a net negative for his desired dungeon management is enough for him to view you with a negative eye. The way he sees it, either Toudens are gullible morons who’s actions are making things worse, simply indifferent to the fact, or actually nefarious under the surface. The fact that they are among the people closer to solving the dungeon, while not being the correct people to gain this power, in his opinion, just makes him all the more antagonistic.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
If it is allowed to post non-spoiler stuff from daydream hour, then I absolutely have to share this

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Hihohe posted:

I ... just posted that in the last page

But yeah Holm and his sister is cute.

I missed it, my bad

Was this one also posted?

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Dwarves are clearly much, much stronger than tall-men, as we can clearly see in the rematch with the Undine. Like, Laios is a very fit lad, swimming and diving with armor and all and yet Namari had to fill in for him stand up to the Undine waterjet.

So to see her manhandle a fit dwarf like a plushie really puts into perspective how strong ogres are.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Begemot posted:

I think it helps that none of them fawn over him or even seem to like him besides Maizuru. The others are acting like they're just doing their day job (or having fun hitting things with a club).

One of the side comics revealed that one of the ninjas, Hien, is in fact into him, but has pretty much given up after learning that he is down bad for some white woman.

Rest of them aren’t interested in him at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I’ll be a dissenting voice just a bit and say that while they parted amicably and came to an understanding, I find it hard to believe that Laios didn’t take the things Shuro said to him at face value and was instead able to read between the lines.

They are not enemies or anything, but at this exact moment in time, the relationship is not the same.