Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

mcmagic posted:

He's a lock. New York, The Giants are a white hat franchise, 2 Super Bowls, he's a well liked media friendly guy who is VERY visible, "Manning".

This is kinda my point though? There are other famous, title-winning, media-friendly New York quarterbacks. Charlie Conerly married a sportswriter, Phil Simms has been on CBS for decades. Among the league's biggest stars of their eras. None of them are close to getting in, and I don't see how Eli is any more special.

I want to see someone make an argument for Eli that doesn't assume the voters are stupid dumb-dumbs who get distracted by shiny things (and doesn't reflect their actual voting history). Because this whole "debate" feels very strawman-y right now.

Benne fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Benne posted:

Phil Simms has been on CBS for decades.

Right or wrong, though, Simms would have probably gotten in by now if he'd won that second Super Bowl instead of Hostetler. Two rings are just too much for sportswriter brain to ignore.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Black Lighter posted:

Right or wrong, though, Simms would have probably gotten in by now if he'd won that second Super Bowl instead of Hostetler. Two rings are just too much for sportswriter brain to ignore.

Unless you're jim plunkett

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I was so excited about Devin Hester I didn't notice that Antonio Gates got snubbed. Thats crazy. He should be in, and I expect will be next year.

I don't think Eli Manning deserves to be in, but will get in

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Forrest on Fire posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Jim Marshall in.

Probably because his most famous highlight is of him loving up in the worst possible way. Not defending it though, he should be in.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Now that Terrell Davis is in and the NFL admits longevity is irrelevant, Gastineau should be in for a 4 year stretch of being 1st/2nd team All Pro too.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Now that Terrell Davis is in and the NFL admits longevity is irrelevant, Gastineau should be in for a 4 year stretch of being 1st/2nd team All Pro too.

Pretty sure he can only go in as a veteran's committee guy, which means a bunch of his contemporaries would have to forget that he was a loud and vocal scab. So that'll never happen.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

Eli is going to get in but he's clearly not anywhere close to a HOF stats wise.

Believe it or not regular season stats shouldn't dictate the HoF and have no bearing on Super Bowls, something that actually matters. Eli was objectively a better QB than many other QBs that put up better numbers ranging from aptitude to actual success in the playoffs. Not to mention he's better than most of his contemporaries where it actually mattered in playoff stats. It sucks for stats nerds that you can't be a child putting a triangle shape into a triangle hole by pointing out some people had more numbers.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Earl Thomas should absolutely be in the Hall, are you nuts

Overrated. Everyone else on Seattle's secondary made up for his deficiencies. He had some ball hawk status but completely overrated in tackling and coverage.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

The Chargers social media team continues its excellence. I had forgotten Dwight Freeney was a Charger. Apparently he had 4 sacks across two years in San Diego. If Google is to be trusted he is the 7th player from Connecticut to be elected to the hall of fame. Most of the other ones were old time players.

Edit: Google is not to be 100% trusted. Eugene Robinson is not in the Hall of Fame, but Google thinks he is. This was my query, "nfl hall of fame players from connecticut".

Edit 2: Harry Jacunski is in the Packer HOF but not the overall HOF.

That means that there are only 5 HOF players from Connecticut, and Dwight Freeney is the only living one.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 9, 2024

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

Pretty sure he can only go in as a veteran's committee guy, which means a bunch of his contemporaries would have to forget that he was a loud and vocal scab. So that'll never happen.

Oh I missed that entire part nvm id rather have mongo than a shithead scab. I am too young to have experienced the finer points of that era of labor disputes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Benne posted:

This is kinda my point though? There are other famous, title-winning, media-friendly New York quarterbacks. Charlie Conerly married a sportswriter, Phil Simms has been on CBS for decades. Among the league's biggest stars of their eras. None of them are close to getting in, and I don't see how Eli is any more special.

I want to see someone make an argument for Eli that doesn't assume the voters are stupid dumb-dumbs who get distracted by shiny things (and doesn't reflect their actual voting history). Because this whole "debate" feels very strawman-y right now.

OK, here is my good faith attempt to make a case for Eli Manning.

1) RINGZ. Just getting it out of the way, it shouldn't be (and occasionally isn't, e.g. Plunkett) enough, but for QBs it is weighted super heavily for sure, and he as 2.
2) Longevity/counting stats. Again, big accumulated numbers aren't everything, but they clearly do help. He's top 10 all-time in completions/attempts/yards/TDs.
3) Awards. He's meh here overall with 4x Pro Bowls 1x Walter Payton Man of the Year, but the 2x Super Bowl MVP do bump it up a notch. Since he's going to be carried a lot by his rings, the fact that he was MVP in both games and not just A Guy boosts that further.
4) The big argument against his rings is "the defense carried those teams lol". But not only was he MVP in both Super Bowls, in the two Super Bowl runs he combined for 15 touchdowns to only 2 picks. He actually was EXTREMELY instrumental in those playoff runs.
5) Narrative. Both his SB wins were against the greatest dynasty in NFL history in tight games where he made big plays. He gave the Pats 2 out of their 3 Super Bowl losses in the Brady era, including stopping the 16-0 regular season team from getting a ring.

There's no arguing that on paper he's a weak-ish candidate. Pro Football Reference has an index based on how much like prior HOFers a player is, and Eli scores pretty meh there, but also worse-scoring guys have gotten in so he's not WILDLY off based on :siren: the metrics :siren: either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
While I appreciate the effort post, this

sean10mm posted:

5) Narrative. Both his SB wins were against the greatest dynasty in NFL history in tight games where he made big plays. He gave the Pats 2 out of their 3 Super Bowl losses in the Brady era, including stopping the 16-0 regular season team from getting a ring.

is the only thing that matters. Dude led his team to 2 super bowl wins against Goliath while being face of the franchise for 15 years. That is more than enough for the Hall of Fame.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

To all the Eli doubters, I direct you to this reference video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgLCrv4B4M

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

To all the Eli doubters, I direct you to this reference video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgLCrv4B4M

Forget waiting, induct him in the HoF right now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I like seeing people blubber about Eli's regular season stats while "much better" qbs were way less successful than him. It's almost as if a QB in a run first offense for the first 5 years of his career with an OC so bad that he got punched out on the sidelines might have less stats than some shotgun pass first QBs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Puppy Bowl posted:

While I appreciate the effort post, this

is the only thing that matters. Dude led his team to 2 super bowl wins against Goliath while being face of the franchise for 15 years. That is more than enough for the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, people can sneer at the ~narrative~ but like, you just can't tell the story of that Patriots rampage era that basically lasted a generation without the guy who was instrumental in denying them 2 rings and stopping 19-0.

All the other stuff basically just makes it easier for the HOF voters to mash the buttan sooner to let him in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, people can sneer at the ~narrative~ but like, you just can't tell the story of that Patriots rampage era that basically lasted a generation without the guy who was instrumental in denying them 2 rings and stopping 19-0.

All the other stuff basically just makes it easier for the HOF voters to mash the buttan sooner to let him in.

It's this. The 07 and 11 giants are the only ones to slay the beast. Eli went off in both games and was voted MVP. That's enough right there.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Eli to the Hall
Brady to fall.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Can't a line from Eli be drawn to both "Decade of Spectacular Failure" and "Perfect Spherical Tits"? I'm sure of the first one, not so much the second, but if that's the case, how can any goon not support his first ballot entry?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the perfect spheres was literally a post about Eli yes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wandler20 posted:

Eli will get in more because of his name than anything he did on the field.

You can't tell the story of TOM BRADY without the man who kneed him in the balls twice. Eli would get in on his deeds even if his name was Brzęczyszczykiewicz.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's this. The 07 and 11 giants are the only ones to slay the beast.

Sir.

Sir.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
One thing that should be noted in Eli's case was that he's spent his retirement years close to the game in a very visible way making connections through the industry and nobody seems to have any personal beef with him, and that will matter on a vote whether you think it should or not.

I obviously want Eli in the hall and will personally spend a full year dunking on everyone mad about it if he does get in, but I think there's genuinely a fair argument on both sides. His playoff success is his best argument by far. Slaying the dragon twice, winning SB MVP in the process, that poo poo matters and will remain NFL legend. His iron man streak was amazing and only ended because of dysfunction. He finished his career in top ten all time stats for TDs and Yards, despite, as Daltos mentioned, The Giants being a very run-first team for at the very least the first half of his tenure and Eli never having a HoF weapon like Gates to play with. Cruz, Nicks, Plax, Toomer, Shockey, OBJ, all dudes who were good but not HOF good and often left the team after a term or got hurt. He never had his Marvin Harrison or Jason Witten to help.

But, he also never sniffed an MVP award and his best season by far (2011) was still overshadowed by other QBs the same year. There's no year outside 2011 where you can call Eli one of the best QBs that season, and thats kinda damning. He's low on the all-pro and Pro bowl nods for a guy in his era. Wins aren't a QB stat but his overall record is literally .500 and you better believe that is going to affect votes. He threw a lot of picks. These are all fairly reasonable reasons to keep him in the hall of very good and out of the hall of fame, and he's up against what is already a log jam of guys with much better QB nods coming in the following years like Brees and Big Ben and Brady. Now he has to go against Antonio Gates next year too. If he doesn't get in first ballot he might just end up constantly squeezed out until he fades away.

He's first ballot in my heart

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of One of the Best at Their Position. And Eli is famous!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I appreciate this discussion quite a bit for Julian Edelman's eventual HoF induction

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Hall of Fame used to mean being the very best at your position for a long time but now it means being famous which results in the 10th best returner of all time getting in while people ignore that Dante Hall made people talk about special teams well before Hester. You only need two good seasons and a super bowl highlight now. Grats all the mediocre guys out there and ty Hester for for sure securing Eli's place.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

The Hall of Fame used to mean being the very best at your position for a long time but now it means being famous which results in the 10th best returner of all time getting in while people ignore that Dante Hall made people talk about special teams well before Hester. You only need two good seasons and a super bowl highlight now. Grats all the mediocre guys out there and ty Hester for for sure securing Eli's place.

Kalli posted:

I appreciate this discussion quite a bit for Julian Edelman's eventual HoF induction

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

Major knock on Edelman is he's the exact same guy as Wes Welker, Chris Hogan, and Danny Amendola. Should we put all of them in as some grotesquely scrappy chimera? Sure. Just one head of the hydra? Nah.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ya'll better mentally prepare yourselves for "Eli Manning, 1st ballot Hall of Famer". Cause its coming.

Doltos posted:

Hall of FAME, not Hall of STATS

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If Hester gets in, put Mike Alstott in.

Here, I'll even give you an 8 minute video of him doing cool poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxzxWsJIfQ

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Julian Edelman Lmao if he gets in, then just burn the building down. Name it hall of Twitter or something

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Major knock on Edelman is he's the exact same guy as Wes Welker, Chris Hogan, and Danny Amendola. Should we put all of them in as some grotesquely scrappy chimera? Sure. Just one head of the hydra? Nah.

We've determined that narrative and clutchness play key factors, which puts Edelman above the other scrappy white guys

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
If Eli gets in Edleman will have a case but if Eli doesn't get in Edleman is toast

Hester going in is a good sign for both

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Forget waiting, induct him in the HoF right now.

The slayer of dragons deserves such an honor

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've always been of the opinion that if you have the accumulative stats over a long period the no ability like availability vibes kind of kick in, similarly I think you should go in if you can't tell the story of the NFL without that person for more than a year. Eli fits that latter bill pretty readily.

Then you have the third - guys like Luke were just so good for their relatively short careers I think they deserve to be there too.

Then you get guys like Steve Smith / Holt / Johnson etc who have good but not great counting numbers and had a good but not great impact on the game that people will debate. I think if you're putting guys Hester and Davis in Eli, Luke, Smith Snr etc all deserve to go in but I don't mind a big hall. I think the Eli might not have had enough of an impact with the whole 'story of the league" concept but his good counting stats make up the difference if that makes some kind of sense?

TBH I don't like the idea of not putting a player in because a few fans might get mad, when their peers agree with them being in and it means so much to the player to be recognized.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

I've always been of the opinion that if you have the accumulative stats over a long period the no ability like availability vibes kind of kick in, similarly I think you should go in if you can't tell the story of the NFL without that person for more than a year. Eli fits that latter bill pretty readily.

TBH I don't like the idea of not putting a player in because a few fans might get mad, when their peers agree with them being in and it means so much to the player to be recognized.

This is what's gonna get Philip Rivers in

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

The Rivers teeth for eyes photoshop should bar him from getting in, it's too unsettling

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sean10mm posted:

i have no personal rooting interest in the new york football giants or eli manning, but it seems so implausible to me that eli manning would not go into the hall of fame next year. itd bet just about anything on it.

Febreeze posted:

If Eli gets in Edleman will have a case but if Eli doesn't get in Edleman is toast

Hester going in is a good sign for both

these three things dont have anything to do with one another.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doltos posted:

The Hall of Fame used to mean being the very best at your position for a long time but now it means being famous which results in the 1.0th best returner of all time getting in while people ignore that Dante Hall made people talk about special teams well before Hester. You only need two good seasons and a super bowl highlight now. Grats all the mediocre guys out there and ty Hester for for sure securing Eli's place.

You forgot a decimal, don't worry I fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

post hole digger posted:

these three things dont have anything to do with one another.

The idea is that Hester is so overrated and underwhelming as anything other than a returner in the mid 2000's when special teams were still made up of reject LBs that a two time winning Super Bowl MVP is bound to get in.