Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Dante Hall can't sniff Hester's jockstrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Black Sunshine posted:

Dante Hall can't sniff Hester's jockstrap.

If we're not going off more stats gained in two less years they were two distinct different styles in returns. Hester was run fast and scamper with one cut. Dante was put you in a blender. It's like comparing CJ2k to Barry Sanders. They were both very good returners. Dante Hall made people recognize special teams first. He was more iconic for the game. Hester came on in the mid 2000's when most of this board were in their teenage to 20's so he's remember fondly. He wasn't very effective outside of two years and it wasn't just because people were avoiding kicking to him, another thing that happened to a lot of returners throughout NFL history. Neither probably deserve to be in the Hall of Fame over many other players who are waiting.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's the same exact people having the same argument that you had in the december n/v thread. no different points

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Doltos posted:

in the mid 2000's when special teams were still made up of reject LBs

I believe special teams are better now than back them, but aren't they made up of reject LBs anymore? Genuine question, because at least the Ravens still love their Kristian Welches and Del'Shawn Phillipses and Jeremiah Moons and Josh Rosses of the world

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

You know there are some very good arguments here but at the end of the day a majority of voters decided Devin Hester is a hall of famer.

And given this forum can't shut the gently caress up about him I'd say he's famous and noteworthy enough to deserve it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OneMoreTime posted:

You know there are some very good arguments here but at the end of the day a majority of voters decided Devin Hester is a hall of famer.

And given this forum can't shut the gently caress up about him I'd say he's famous and noteworthy enough to deserve it.

Anyone who says the Hall of Fame is about fame is taking it too literally. It used to be more stringent in who they let in as evident of the sheer amount of guys who are way better than Hester still sitting around.

The voters are a bunch of media personalities like Peter King, Sal Paolantonio, Bill Polian, Lisa Salters, IE morons. The man who runs JoeBucsFan.com is a voter. Tony Dungy is a voter. Half the voters work for defunct magazines, radio shows, and random rear end fan websites like the33rdteam. They're not as hollowed as you think they are.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I believe special teams are better now than back them, but aren't they made up of reject LBs anymore? Genuine question, because at least the Ravens still love their Kristian Welches and Del'Shawn Phillipses and Jeremiah Moons and Josh Rosses of the world

It's more that the quality of play across the NFL has gone up huge in the last 20 years and there's a wide mix of WRs, DBs, LBs, and RBs running around actually playing good special teams work which is why return TDs have gone way down, in addition to the rule changes.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Doltos posted:

Anyone who says the Hall of Fame is about fame is taking it too literally. It used to be more stringent in who they let in as evident of the sheer amount of guys who are way better than Hester still sitting around.

The voters are a bunch of media personalities like Peter King, Sal Paolantonio, Bill Polian, Lisa Salters, IE morons. The man who runs JoeBucsFan.com is a voter. Tony Dungy is a voter. Half the voters work for defunct magazines, radio shows, and random rear end fan websites like the33rdteam. They're not as hollowed as you think they are.

It's more that the quality of play across the NFL has gone up huge in the last 20 years and there's a wide mix of WRs, DBs, LBs, and RBs running around actually playing good special teams work which is why return TDs have gone way down, in addition to the rule changes.

Doesn't matter. Devin Hester is in the hall of fame.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Doltos not making a good case for himself in the Hall of Fame Arguments Hall of Fame.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rodger needs to do a hostile takeover of the HoF and drop some of these jabroni voters.

Mike Florio should not be a voter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

If we're not going off more stats gained in two less years they were two distinct different styles in returns. Hester was run fast and scamper with one cut. Dante was put you in a blender. It's like comparing CJ2k to Barry Sanders. They were both very good returners. Dante Hall made people recognize special teams first. He was more iconic for the game. Hester came on in the mid 2000's when most of this board were in their teenage to 20's so he's remember fondly. He wasn't very effective outside of two years and it wasn't just because people were avoiding kicking to him, another thing that happened to a lot of returners throughout NFL history. Neither probably deserve to be in the Hall of Fame over many other players who are waiting.

Now do yards per return. Hester is head and shoulders above everyone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

No Butt Stuff posted:

Mike Florio should not be

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Put Jamaal Charles in the hall.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Agreed.

If it came down to Hester vs Gates, Gates should have gotten the nod.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hesters 11.7 to Halls 10.4? Or are you talking kick return average of Hester's 24.9 to Hall's 23.8? That 1 yard sure does matter a lot it seems.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Doltos posted:

It's like comparing CJ2k to Barry Sanders.

In this scenario Hall is CJ since he was really good for awhile and Hester is Barry since he's the best to ever play the position, yeah sure I'll go with that.

In addition to the return averages, you fail to account for return touchdowns and the fact that teams were so terrified of kicking to Hester that they routinely gave up valuable field position to keep the ball out of his hands. This would also give him less pure numbers due to the lack of touches.

Your counting stat chart is also dumb because it would mean that they let the 8th best returner in the Hall of Fame before the other 7 guys who were surely better...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Again. AGAIN

EVERY ELITE RETURNER HAS BEEN KICKED AWAY FROM. THEY KICKED AWAY FROM JOSH CRIBBS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Doltos posted:

Again. AGAIN

EVERY ELITE RETURNER HAS BEEN KICKED AWAY FROM. THEY KICKED AWAY FROM JOSH CRIBBS. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They probably shouldn't have. I've heard that kick returners don't really have a big impact on the game. :ssh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nobody should be this malding about Devin Hester, NFL Hall of Famer.

Anyway, kick returners aren't the best. It's a team sport!

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Doltos posted:

Again. AGAIN

Then they clearly need to put that man in the Hall of Fame since he has more return yards than Hester who is in the Hall of Fame.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
This level of anger over Devin Hester lol just imagine the seething level of fury from stat heads when Eli makes it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

This level of anger over Devin Hester lol just imagine the seething level of fury from stat heads when Eli makes it

Eli is much easier to justify

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The anger is towards people who don't watch football, not Hester. He was a great returner. There are other great returners not in the hall. Stats and eye test both prove that. You're loving joking me if you think he deserves to be in the hall over Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Roger Craig, Steve Smith Jr., Torry Holt, Hines Ward, Jahri Evans, Eric Allen, James Harrison, Vince Wilfork, or John Abraham.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

None of those people are the best to ever play their position. Frank Gore shouldn't really get in either aside from being a medical miracle.

Count more stats and get mad, nerd

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not sure you've ever watched another returner than Hester. I don't even need to count stats to know that he was just a one cut speed freak that couldn't hack it as a WR.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

drat Hester got the bears an extra 3 yards of average punt distance in his entire career. What a game changer. Truly striking fear in the hearts of teams across the NFL.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

So now we're holding it against players who can't play other positions very well?

Every corner is just a wide receiver that can't catch. Deion Sanders was a hack folks!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cavauro posted:

it's the same exact people having the same argument that you had in the december n/v thread. no different points

except now doltos gets to seethe extra hard because all of us who said that hester owns were proven right, once again. can't wait to see his meltdown once frank gore rightfully gets in

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Disliked DeSean Jackson more then Hester as an opponent, ngl

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Black Sunshine posted:

Then they clearly need to put that man in the Hall of Fame since he has more return yards than Hester who is in the Hall of Fame.

now mohammad massequoi, there's a wideout you can set your watch to

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Black Sunshine posted:

So now we're holding it against players who can't play other positions very well?

Every corner is just a wide receiver that can't catch. Deion Sanders was a hack folks!

I don't think Deion Sanders is the example you want to use for someone who can't catch a football but I don't really expect a lot out of you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Borsche69 posted:

except now doltos gets to seethe extra hard because all of us who said that hester owns were proven right, once again. can't wait to see his meltdown once frank gore rightfully gets in

I feel like since this board is mostly mock drafts and twitter feeds there's been an overall dumbing down of football intelligence reflected by peoples opinions aligning with Peter King

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Doltos posted:

Hesters 11.7 to Halls 10.4? Or are you talking kick return average of Hester's 24.9 to Hall's 23.8? That 1 yard sure does matter a lot it seems.

well yeah it does unless you're gonna argue that Leonard Fournette is just as good as Barry Sanders

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Strong "It's not me, it's the kids who are wrong" vibes in here

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doltos posted:

I feel like since this board is mostly mock drafts and twitter feeds there's been an overall dumbing down of football intelligence reflected by peoples opinions aligning with Peter King

i dont think this place was ever a bastion of high IQ, and twitter feed poo poo is like 10 years old at this point. hof, to me, is not something to take super seriously. its like some comic book canon poo poo where you ignore the poo poo you dont like, and then go 'hell yeah' at the poo poo you do. its very empirically stats + 'vibes based' meaning that its not really worth getting worked up over. i think hester belongs in the hall because hes cool and made cool plays and dragged a really ugly bears team to a superbowl loss. put josh cribbs and dante hall in there as well if that makes you feel better, they probably both deserve it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

yanda should be first ballot hof btw

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Borsche69 posted:

i dont think this place was ever a bastion of high IQ, and twitter feed poo poo is like 10 years old at this point. hof, to me, is not something to take super seriously. its like some comic book canon poo poo where you ignore the poo poo you dont like, and then go 'hell yeah' at the poo poo you do. its very empirically stats + 'vibes based' meaning that its not really worth getting worked up over. i think hester belongs in the hall because hes cool and made cool plays and dragged a really ugly bears team to a superbowl loss. put josh cribbs and dante hall in there as well if that makes you feel better, they probably both deserve it.

I can respect this take

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well yeah it does unless you're gonna argue that Leonard Fournette is just as good as Barry Sanders

The only reason we place Barry above Fournette is because Barry was around during our formative years!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You do realize there's a huge difference in magnitude between RBs and returners right or..

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Doltos posted:

You do realize there's a huge difference in magnitude between RBs and returners right or..

Would you say the difference is about a yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Borsche69 posted:

yanda should be first ballot hof btw

I wouldn't argue but IOL usually have to wait a couple years to get in it seems for whatever reason.