Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
One thing that should be noted in Eli's case was that he's spent his retirement years close to the game in a very visible way making connections through the industry and nobody seems to have any personal beef with him, and that will matter on a vote whether you think it should or not.

I obviously want Eli in the hall and will personally spend a full year dunking on everyone mad about it if he does get in, but I think there's genuinely a fair argument on both sides. His playoff success is his best argument by far. Slaying the dragon twice, winning SB MVP in the process, that poo poo matters and will remain NFL legend. His iron man streak was amazing and only ended because of dysfunction. He finished his career in top ten all time stats for TDs and Yards, despite, as Daltos mentioned, The Giants being a very run-first team for at the very least the first half of his tenure and Eli never having a HoF weapon like Gates to play with. Cruz, Nicks, Plax, Toomer, Shockey, OBJ, all dudes who were good but not HOF good and often left the team after a term or got hurt. He never had his Marvin Harrison or Jason Witten to help.

But, he also never sniffed an MVP award and his best season by far (2011) was still overshadowed by other QBs the same year. There's no year outside 2011 where you can call Eli one of the best QBs that season, and thats kinda damning. He's low on the all-pro and Pro bowl nods for a guy in his era. Wins aren't a QB stat but his overall record is literally .500 and you better believe that is going to affect votes. He threw a lot of picks. These are all fairly reasonable reasons to keep him in the hall of very good and out of the hall of fame, and he's up against what is already a log jam of guys with much better QB nods coming in the following years like Brees and Big Ben and Brady. Now he has to go against Antonio Gates next year too. If he doesn't get in first ballot he might just end up constantly squeezed out until he fades away.

He's first ballot in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

If Eli gets in Edleman will have a case but if Eli doesn't get in Edleman is toast

Hester going in is a good sign for both

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

This level of anger over Devin Hester lol just imagine the seething level of fury from stat heads when Eli makes it