Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Benne posted:

This is kinda my point though? There are other famous, title-winning, media-friendly New York quarterbacks. Charlie Conerly married a sportswriter, Phil Simms has been on CBS for decades. Among the league's biggest stars of their eras. None of them are close to getting in, and I don't see how Eli is any more special.

I want to see someone make an argument for Eli that doesn't assume the voters are stupid dumb-dumbs who get distracted by shiny things (and doesn't reflect their actual voting history). Because this whole "debate" feels very strawman-y right now.

OK, here is my good faith attempt to make a case for Eli Manning.

1) RINGZ. Just getting it out of the way, it shouldn't be (and occasionally isn't, e.g. Plunkett) enough, but for QBs it is weighted super heavily for sure, and he as 2.
2) Longevity/counting stats. Again, big accumulated numbers aren't everything, but they clearly do help. He's top 10 all-time in completions/attempts/yards/TDs.
3) Awards. He's meh here overall with 4x Pro Bowls 1x Walter Payton Man of the Year, but the 2x Super Bowl MVP do bump it up a notch. Since he's going to be carried a lot by his rings, the fact that he was MVP in both games and not just A Guy boosts that further.
4) The big argument against his rings is "the defense carried those teams lol". But not only was he MVP in both Super Bowls, in the two Super Bowl runs he combined for 15 touchdowns to only 2 picks. He actually was EXTREMELY instrumental in those playoff runs.
5) Narrative. Both his SB wins were against the greatest dynasty in NFL history in tight games where he made big plays. He gave the Pats 2 out of their 3 Super Bowl losses in the Brady era, including stopping the 16-0 regular season team from getting a ring.

There's no arguing that on paper he's a weak-ish candidate. Pro Football Reference has an index based on how much like prior HOFers a player is, and Eli scores pretty meh there, but also worse-scoring guys have gotten in so he's not WILDLY off based on :siren: the metrics :siren: either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Puppy Bowl posted:

While I appreciate the effort post, this

is the only thing that matters. Dude led his team to 2 super bowl wins against Goliath while being face of the franchise for 15 years. That is more than enough for the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, people can sneer at the ~narrative~ but like, you just can't tell the story of that Patriots rampage era that basically lasted a generation without the guy who was instrumental in denying them 2 rings and stopping 19-0.

All the other stuff basically just makes it easier for the HOF voters to mash the buttan sooner to let him in.