Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I dislike the giants and have no reason to like Eli, but he's a first ballot lock. He has two superbowl wins, both over the Tom Brady pats. He's guaranteed.

Glad Hester got in. He's the best that's ever been at his position and there's never been another like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mcmagic posted:

Eli is going to get in but he's clearly not anywhere close to a HOF stats wise.

The most important stat for a QB is ringz and he’s got two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

To all the Eli doubters, I direct you to this reference video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgLCrv4B4M

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, people can sneer at the ~narrative~ but like, you just can't tell the story of that Patriots rampage era that basically lasted a generation without the guy who was instrumental in denying them 2 rings and stopping 19-0.

All the other stuff basically just makes it easier for the HOF voters to mash the buttan sooner to let him in.

It's this. The 07 and 11 giants are the only ones to slay the beast. Eli went off in both games and was voted MVP. That's enough right there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

If we're not going off more stats gained in two less years they were two distinct different styles in returns. Hester was run fast and scamper with one cut. Dante was put you in a blender. It's like comparing CJ2k to Barry Sanders. They were both very good returners. Dante Hall made people recognize special teams first. He was more iconic for the game. Hester came on in the mid 2000's when most of this board were in their teenage to 20's so he's remember fondly. He wasn't very effective outside of two years and it wasn't just because people were avoiding kicking to him, another thing that happened to a lot of returners throughout NFL history. Neither probably deserve to be in the Hall of Fame over many other players who are waiting.

Now do yards per return. Hester is head and shoulders above everyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I went and dug up my old hester post. I went and got all of the pfr data on returns for each category. I use these as my counting stats and rank all of the players on the list with the highest person getting the most points and the lowest getting 1. I also do their per return stats and rank them the same way. I then sum up their points from each category. Brian Mitchell barely outpaces Hester in the counting stats as he's the frank gore of returns. He is not even top 10 for per return stats.

Per Return Stats:
pre:
Player		per return rank
Devin Hester	494
Jamal Agnew	470.5
Jakeem Grant	462
Leodis McKelvin	453
Billy Johnson	451
Josh Cribbs	439.5
Dante Hall	436
Deion Sanders+	420
Tamarick Vanover 418
Jacoby Jones	416
Counting Stats:
pre:
Player		counting stats rank
Brian Mitchell	792
Devin Hester	773
Allen Rossum	736.5
Darren Sproles	729
Eric Metcalf	729
Dante Hall	728
Mel Gray	715
Ted Ginn Jr.	701.5
Josh Cribbs	700.5
Dave Meggett	689.5
Both counting and per stat rank:
pre:
Player		Overall Total
Devin Hester	1267
Dante Hall	1164
Brian Mitchell	1151
Josh Cribbs	1140
Mel Gray	1115.5
Darren Sproles	1091
Jacoby Jones	1081.5
Tamarick Vanover 1057
Allen Rossum	1048.5
Eric Metcalf	1039
Devin Hester owns and the numbers prove it. Daltos is just salty about the kick six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

To be very clear I like Hester and I'm more mad at the DeSean Jackson return than the FG return ever could make me.

DeSean Jackson made the cowboys look silly a bunch, and likewise draws my ire. He also fumbled at the 1 yard line more than once celebrating too early which is hilarious.