Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

My time there was 1993. One crazy summer.

it hasn't gotten any less crazy, that's for sure.

for real though, making it illegal for gas stations to sell shooters has vastly (like >90%) reduced the amount of those things you see laying in the street everywhere in town in just over a year and a half.

you want shooters, now you have to go to a grocery store that sells them and have them unlock the cage next to the self-check for you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

I still have nightmares of CT's blue laws. Package stores only. No sales after 8PM. No sales on Sunday.

It was so brutal.

We got rid of those in like 2012

E: grocery stores can sell beer and are trying to get wine passed but the package stores are fighting it hard. You can buy up to 9pm Mon thru Sat, 6pm Sunday.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

redshirt posted:

I've always thought of CT as a Quadrant of Madness.

North / South of rt 2, east / west of the river

West of the river is irrelevant so that's why rt 2

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
As I understood it as a kid, nips was short for nippers which is what the old timers called the bottles

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

North / South of rt 2, east / west of the river

West of the river is irrelevant so that's why rt 2

You got your New York side, and your Boston side...

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

redshirt posted:

You got your New York side, and your Boston side...

Upper Left - Retired New Yorkers / People with lots of money.

Lower Left - People actively working in NYC.

Lower Right - Navy / Electric Boat / Almost Rhode Island.

Upper Right - Here be dragons.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Anderson Koopa posted:

Upper Left - Retired New Yorkers / People with lots of money.

Lower Left - People actively working in NYC.

Lower Right - Navy / Electric Boat / Almost Rhode Island.

Upper Right - Here be dragons.

Along the river - A surprisingly robust Aerospace and Defense industry. Also, the poors.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Those little bottles are “shots”. Because they hold 1 shot of liquor.

Also I’m not a huge fireball fan, but they had a mini keg of fireball at the liquor store last time I went and it looked dope.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
(Oregon) When I worked at 7-Eleven, we did not sell these but customers would ask about them all the time. There never was a name for them, they would just describe them. "You know, like those little bottles of fireball whiskey."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

We got rid of those in like 2012

E: grocery stores can sell beer and are trying to get wine passed but the package stores are fighting it hard. You can buy up to 9pm Mon thru Sat, 6pm Sunday.

Grocery stores can’t sell beer on the holidays that package stores have to be closed, which is so annoying. I didn’t get to the store before it closed Christmas Eve so I was SOL on beer/wine for Christmas.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
one time i popped one of those from a hotel fridge cuz im fuckin stupid and it wasn't even alcohol. jack daniels my rear end

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Grocery stores can’t sell beer on the holidays that package stores have to be closed, which is so annoying. I didn’t get to the store before it closed Christmas Eve so I was SOL on beer/wine for Christmas.

It's a little tradition of mine to drive to vermont on thanksgiving and christmas after family stuff is over lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

We call them nips

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Now I want to go to the store to get some. It’s tacky but I like it when they look like the big bottles.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my mom wont let me drink until i turn 69

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Along the river - A surprisingly robust Aerospace and Defense industry. Also, the poors.

Here be Dragons more like LETS GO SOX!!!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
art is everywhere if you know how to look

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Vermonter here, yeah, they're nips.

Fun little thing about those "Fireball" nips that have become real popular:

Plenty of states, VT included, can only sell liquor in dedicated liquor stores (VT is weird in that technically you can put a state-run liquor store inside an otherwise privately owned store, but all liquor sales go through a dedicated, state-owned "liquor only" register.)

But beer, wine, malt beverages, etc.. can be sold anywhere. So most of those "fireball" nips (some places even have pint bottle-sized) are not the same as the "regular" Fireball (which I think technically is a whiskey, albeit a very poor quality whiskey with nasty cinnamon flavoring.)

Instead, the ones sold at gas stations near the counter are a cinnamon-flavored malt beverage designed to kind of taste like the cinnamon-flavored whiskey.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/27/1151...s%20misleading.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The entire North East quadrant has too many specific terms for things. You people need to settle down with that poo poo.

Well Jeezum crow, you can get yourself right outta my dooryard with that; you ain't gettin' any of my creemee with that attitude. Gettin' me wicked pissed.

Why don't you bang a u-ey and go back up that road, you flatlander. I'd say go back where you came from, but can't get there from here.
But before you go, help me bring these boxes of dungarees down cellar, would ya'? They're heavier than a dead minister.

I'll give you half my grinder, only been in the ice box a couple hours.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best use for airplane bottles is stuffing a pinata with them

Not the glass ones obviously

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I kinda want a glass pinata now

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The tiny bottles I see business guys buying at the ABC Store and then putting in their pockets

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Business beverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Vermonter here, yeah, they're nips.

Fun little thing about those "Fireball" nips that have become real popular:

Plenty of states, VT included, can only sell liquor in dedicated liquor stores (VT is weird in that technically you can put a state-run liquor store inside an otherwise privately owned store, but all liquor sales go through a dedicated, state-owned "liquor only" register.)

But beer, wine, malt beverages, etc.. can be sold anywhere. So most of those "fireball" nips (some places even have pint bottle-sized) are not the same as the "regular" Fireball (which I think technically is a whiskey, albeit a very poor quality whiskey with nasty cinnamon flavoring.)

Instead, the ones sold at gas stations near the counter are a cinnamon-flavored malt beverage designed to kind of taste like the cinnamon-flavored whiskey.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/27/1151...s%20misleading.

Well Jeezum crow, you can get yourself right outta my dooryard with that; you ain't gettin' any of my creemee with that attitude. Gettin' me wicked pissed.

Why don't you bang a u-ey and go back up that road, you flatlander. I'd say go back where you came from, but can't get there from here.
But before you go, help me bring these boxes of dungarees down cellar, would ya'? They're heavier than a dead minister.

I'll give you half my grinder, only been in the ice box a couple hours.

Maine has something similar - all liquor sales are technically state run, but the local gas/pizza/convenience store also sells hard liquor if they are part of the state agency system(there's a dedicated sign for it). No separate registers though.