Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

I know it’s not quite the same but he did play and succeed in the SEC, which isn’t known for being a conference full of small players

Everyone in the NFL is an amazing athlete though. Even the best college defenses don’t have NFL talent across the board. Maybe a few guys on a Georgia or Bama defense will be starters on Sundays. The physical limitations get magnified when you jump from college to the pros.

I don’t think his size is/was disqualifying, he was a really good college QB and in a way that could translate to the pros, it just has to happened so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Everyone in the NFL is an amazing athlete though.

You may not like it but this is what peak male performance looks like.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cultivating mass is what makes an NFL QB.

Bryce has a long road ahead of him.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

he was a really good college QB and in a way that could translate to the pros, it just has to happened so far.

What way was this? I don't watch college football unless paid to, but watching him play in the NFL is pure pain, and I would love to know what people saw in him that they thought would translate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1742266528605589969?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

oh poo poo

come to Baltimore

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Minimal usage, but he still only averaged 3 ypc.

I'm sure some playoff team will be desperate, but it sure would be great if he just got told to gently caress off.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
“Fresh legs”

The dude’s washed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ozymandius1024 posted:

Minimal usage, but he still only averaged 3 ypc.

I'm sure some playoff team will be desperate, but it sure would be great if he just got told to gently caress off.

67 carries for 3ypc lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just tired of seeing Melvin Gordon activated

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's definitely making it through waivers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

What way was this? I don't watch college football unless paid to, but watching him play in the NFL is pure pain, and I would love to know what people saw in him that they thought would translate.

He was elusive, could throw off platform, generally made good decisions, seemed to read defenses well, was creative when things broke down. His offensive line wasn’t great so you could accuse him of coasting on superior talent across the board. He didn’t get flustered easily.

The assumption was that based on what he showed in college he had the processing ability to run a modern NFL offense. His arm wasn’t amazing but it was good enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Yeah like YOLO said Bryce was a fine prospect in my opinion. He could make all the throws you needed to make, sure as hell looked like he could read a defense, and did a lot of things when plays broke down that most people couldn't. Not in a total bullshit way I guess, but he was able to evade pressure and make things happen.

I'm sad for the dude, I think he ended up in the wrong place. And now it might be too late already.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

oh poo poo

come to Baltimore

We have Justice Hill and hopefully Keaton Mitchell and JK Dobbins. I think if anything we should try to find someone who can replace Edwards who is probably gone.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

Drew Brees was pretty successful but upon a cursory internet glance he's listed at 6'0".

He was listed as 6’0” but having had family stand right next to him, he was probably an inch or two shorter. That said, Bryce’s build seems a lot slighter, and Brees infamous had to tilt his head in odd ways to see over or around the offensive line at times

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kawalimus posted:

We have Justice Hill and hopefully Keaton Mitchell and JK Dobbins. I think if anything we should try to find someone who can replace Edwards who is probably gone.
I think people were saying Cook to the Ravens for the playoffs because Keaton is out for the year.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

regardless of size, wasn't brees one of the most accurate and precise qb ever? like, he really could pinpoint his passes with ease.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

abelwingnut posted:

regardless of size, wasn't brees one of the most accurate and precise qb ever? like, he really could pinpoint his passes with ease.

Yes. People also ragged on Brees for his size too and Bryce is smaller

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The thing about Bryce isnt just his height its that he looks like he has the muscle mass of a HS freshman too - he's small in every sense of the word

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think people were saying Cook to the Ravens for the playoffs because Keaton is out for the year.

Oh I somehow missed that. Ok I could handle that instead of Gordon.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i believed that bryce could turn the corner with a better coaching staff until i saw that hit where he spun 180 in the air like a rag doll. dude is just as likely to die on field as he is to become an average qb

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Parallax posted:

i believed that bryce could turn the corner with a better coaching staff until i saw that hit where he spun 180 in the air like a rag doll. dude is just as likely to die on field as he is to become an average qb

15 yards when it happens though

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

it's really disappointing that Bryce seems so unlikely to pan out now, I really liked the idea of this tiny QB just darting around the field and lighting it up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The337th posted:

it's really disappointing that Bryce seems so unlikely to pan out now, I really liked the idea of this tiny QB just darting around the field and lighting it up

that guy already exists, his name is Kyler Murray and even he's not great

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Bryce is a textbook development project you use a 3rd day pick on. Mind boggling that anyone thought he was 1st round worthy or could start in the NFL his rookie year.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Alaois posted:

not tiny enough

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

The337th posted:

watch replays of philly/arizona from this past week

edit: nuts, beaten

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't Bryce just a product of the Alabama system? A team of semi-pros is going to make the QB look good in most of the games against most of their opponents.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Alaois posted:

And he's got a cannon arm compared to Bryce and is way faster.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't Bryce just a product of the Alabama system? A team of semi-pros is going to make the QB look good in most of the games against most of their opponents.

I thought he was a product of his receivers, notably how much he regressed once Jameson Williams went pro. The classic 'Saban QB' was never a first round pick and that didn't change until the shift five years ago to Tua and Mac Jones throwing to a bevy of first rounders instead of pounding the ball nonstop with 3 future NFL RBs rotating carries.

Heck, Bryce's Heisman year he absolutely torched Georgia with Jamo running wild, then in the remarch Jamo got hurt and Bryce had 2 ints in a foregone conclusion loss. Last year, Bryce was throwing 50 times a game to put up big numbers but Gibbs was the real weapon.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 3, 2024

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

The chiefs could use another RB

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

No, not really. There are lots of guys on very talented teams who simply don’t look very good and don’t get drafted high. Jalen Milroe looks like poo poo this year. Stetson Bennett went in the 4th. Hendon Hooker had gaudy numbers but got knocked because of the scheme he played in and Jalen Hyatt being a cheat code in college. It’s possible to look at how a guy plays and figure out if it’s all just scheme and talent around him or if he’s legitimately doing special things. It’s very funny to have to explain this to a big Brock Purdy booster, but Bryce was a legitimately good college QB, not just Jake Coker with better publicity.

trevorreznik posted:

I thought he was a product of his receivers, notably how much he regressed once Jameson Williams went pro. The classic 'Saban QB' was never a first round pick and that didn't change until the shift five years ago to Tua and Mac Jones throwing to a bevy of first rounders instead of pounding the ball nonstop with 3 future NFL RBs rotating carries.

Heck, Bryce's Heisman year he absolutely torched Georgia with Jamo running wild, then in the remarch Jamo got hurt and Bryce had 2 ints in a foregone conclusion loss. Last year, Bryce was throwing 50 times a game to put up big numbers but Gibbs was the real weapon.

Bryce had a kinda lovely line in college and his OC was BoB. He had good receivers in 2021 but I dare you to try and name one of his 2022 WRs without looking. Gibbs only had 440 yards and 44 receptions in 2022 and Bryce threw for 3300 yards, 32TDs and 5 Ints in 12 games. Who were the guys who were elevating his play?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The thing with Brees / Bryce is that for starters Brees was good when he arrived in New Orleans because they built a lot around him, lots of quick hitting rythymn throws to after the catch guys, an all universe interior line for almost a decade, consistent and constant investment in the run game and offensive line and a coach who was able to recognise what Brees did well and do a lot of it.

I can do a long post of where the Panthers hosed up this year and to be fair those mis-steps are fixable but I am struggling to see the path forward at this point given who the owner is and what he's done in the past.

If Bryce had of gone to San Franciso or the Rams, Seattle or Miami for instance I think he'd have been absolutely fine (yes, I know they're the better teams in the NFL etc etc but my point is more what they do to put the pieces in place).

Yeah he's a little small, he has an arm thats effective but not advanced or elite but he can make things happen coming off platform and moving around and I still think he could be a player in the NFL but the Panthers have allowed him to be sacked 60 times this year and I read a stat the other day that he's been tackled just beyond the line of scrimmage when the protection has completely broken down and hes managed to scramble for a yard something like 9 times in the last 8 games alone. If you consider those sacks because that's what they functionally are he's already been sacked more than David Carr was in his first year in the league.

To put it another way if you were going to put a QB in the worst possible situation to succeed it would probably look a lot like
-Give them an average supporting cast at receiver
-use poor protection
-take the emphasis off the run game
-pair them with a defense that allows long sustained drives
-put them in an unfamiliar offense that asks different things in terms of presnap alignment and reads
-change that scheme and how it operates 3 times in the season
-fire his QB coach mid year
-fire his head coach mid year
-reduce the possibility of future investment by not maximizing capital

We're pretty much checking every box. Sure "he small lol" posts are cool and good but it's about 10% of the actual issue in his development. Its worse than how Alex Smith was handled in San Francisco. It's probably the worst development of a QB prospect I've ever seen following the NFL.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doug Flutie is probably the most successful short QB and he's three inches taller than Bryce and was built a lot heavier.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Comparing Brees and Bryce is absolutely not fair. You’re giving way too much credit to Bryce there.

Drew has a stronger arm, hes bigger, and he’s more accurate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It would be very funny if somehow Bryce ends up on the Lions and then Jamo/Gibbs/Bryce ball out

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Drew has a stronger arm

I think I'd quibble with this part a little bit in theory. Drew had to set his legs and launch most of the time if he was going deep or even intermediate, he wasn't doing some things I think Bryce can maybe do potentially.

But yeah he was definitely a lot bigger and when you're saying Drew Brees is a lot bigger than someone that's troublesome. And it's not like Bryce is truly elite in the arm area anyway.

...and of course one of them is a hall of famer and one will be out of the league after his rookie contract it seems at this point.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It would be very funny if somehow Bryce ends up on the Lions and then Jamo/Gibbs/Bryce ball out

I really really want this how do I make it happen?

@MCDC Please trade for tiny QB he's from a broken home and just needs some TLC to truly shine

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tbh I didn’t realise Jamo and Gibbs were on the same uni team until that post lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I think I'd quibble with this part a little bit in theory. Drew had to set his legs and launch most of the time if he was going deep or even intermediate, he wasn't doing some things I think Bryce can maybe do potentially.

But yeah he was definitely a lot bigger and when you're saying Drew Brees is a lot bigger than someone that's troublesome. And it's not like Bryce is truly elite in the arm area anyway.

...and of course one of them is a hall of famer and one will be out of the league after his rookie contract it seems at this point.

I may be wrong but I haven’t seen Bryce throwing anything near Brees’ 60ish yard max. Or maybe I’m just flat out making it up in my head