Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bryce had a kinda lovely line in college and his OC was BoB. He had good receivers in 2021 but I dare you to try and name one of his 2022 WRs without looking. Gibbs only had 440 yards and 44 receptions in 2022 and Bryce threw for 3300 yards, 32TDs and 5 Ints in 12 games. Who were the guys who were elevating his play?

Same guys as this year. Burton and Bond. I mainly remember Bryce doing Houdini acts away from pressure with that bad line and then throwing to someone who's found a hole in the zone but I was never that impressed. Frankly, reminded me a lot of Manziel in the "run around until someone gets open" sense.

It really is so hard to tell though. Mac Jones looked a million times better with Bama, but had a way better supporting cast. Is Mac better than Bryce in the NFL? Maybe?

But yeah Bryce was better than Sims, Coker, McCarron et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

I may be wrong but I haven’t seen Bryce throwing anything near Brees’ 60ish yard max. Or maybe I’m just flat out making it up in my head

He has a different motion and style, he also doesn't have that heater with the shoulder twist that Brees used to have. He's got more of an arm like Tua where he'll throw it fast, but not far if that makes sense and he can hang them at times, but he can throw dimes, adjust his release angle and all that stuff. He also can throw a half decent flat fast ball when he needs to. Mechanically he's pretty decent on and off platform, even if he is a little toesy in his set up.

He really needs an interior line though. Having 6 different starters at guard since preseason has been a big, big problem.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

fartknocker posted:

Brees infamous had to tilt his head in odd ways to see over or around the offensive line at times

Neck Strong?
No, Neck Flexible

Looking for that I found this one, and I think a good off-season project would be collecting gifs and mp4s of players going :gonk: or :bang: mid-play. This one, Michigan punter, Geno going "oh my god!" versus Aaron Donald, "God Damnit Donald!", etc.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

abelwingnut posted:

regardless of size, wasn't brees one of the most accurate and precise qb ever? like, he really could pinpoint his passes with ease.

Brees has 3" and 40 lbs on Bryce.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Reminder in these trying times that this was flagged as a penalty.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Even if Bryce were the 2nd coming of brees (physical traits be damned), it took brees 5 years and going to a different team with one of the top 5 modern offensive coaches to achieve that hall of fame caliber play. Maybe Bryce gets there, but people seem to think brees just came out of college phenomenal rather than him nearly washing out.

So basically, look forward to Bryce being a hall of famer when he goes to the raiders in 3 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Coldforge posted:

Reminder in these trying times that this was flagged as a penalty.

And is probably why the Seahawks won the super bowl.

If that is ruled correctly, the 49ers win and get HFA in the NFCCG and probably win.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

And is probably why the Seahawks won the super bowl.

If that is ruled correctly, the 49ers win and get HFA in the NFCCG and probably win.

Uh the reason the Seahawks won was because the 49ers tried Sherman with a sorry receiver like Crabtree. That would have been the case home or away.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1742232121501196497#m

yesss. glad to see this coming back around. I understand the devaluation of running backs, you really can get good ones on the cheap. but linebackers? you can barely get a good one in the first round, and they're gonna take like two years to really understand how to play what might be the most difficult position on the defense. every good OC knows how to put bad linebackers in hell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

really queer Christmas posted:

So basically, look forward to Bryce being a hall of famer when he goes to the raiders in 3 years.

Who the gently caress do you think is coaching the Raiders when he arrives?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mllaneza posted:

Who the gently caress do you think is coaching the Raiders when he arrives?

Could be Harbaugh from the latest rumors

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

a neat cape posted:

Could be Harbaugh from the latest rumors

Harbaugh made Jed grow up; maybe it’ll work for Mark, too.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

yesss. glad to see this coming back around. I understand the devaluation of running backs, you really can get good ones on the cheap. but linebackers? you can barely get a good one in the first round, and they're gonna take like two years to really understand how to play what might be the most difficult position on the defense. every good OC knows how to put bad linebackers in hell.

the only problem is that ILBs typically have an RB shelf life. but yeah - god i remember being stoked about arthur brown cause I was convinced he was gonna be the new meta of coverage linebacker

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

trevorreznik posted:

Same guys as this year. Burton and Bond. I mainly remember Bryce doing Houdini acts away from pressure with that bad line and then throwing to someone who's found a hole in the zone but I was never that impressed. Frankly, reminded me a lot of Manziel in the "run around until someone gets open" sense.

It really is so hard to tell though. Mac Jones looked a million times better with Bama, but had a way better supporting cast. Is Mac better than Bryce in the NFL? Maybe?

But yeah Bryce was better than Sims, Coker, McCarron et al

Hmm...

quote:

Mac Jones looked a million times better with Bama

Ah....

quote:

Bama

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’ve mentioned this before but I literally gasped when I saw Bryce in person.

As small as he looks on television it’s even more pronounced in real life.

I refuse to believe Frank reich, who knows what it takes to play NFL qb in a way few coaches do, sat by him at dinner and didn’t feel the same way.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

AndrewP posted:

Yeah same with KC. When they had Anthony Hitchens, Reggie Ragland and even Daniel Sorensen playing ILB it was a disaster. Any Tight end or running back had a free MOF route for them. Now with Dru Tranquill and Willie Gay things are much better.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ve mentioned this before but I literally gasped when I saw Bryce in person.

As small as he looks on television it’s even more pronounced in real life.

I refuse to believe Frank reich, who knows what it takes to play NFL qb in a way few coaches do, sat by him at dinner and didn’t feel the same way.

Mac Jones got poo poo for being too small and Bryce Young is way smaller than him

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

Mac Jones got poo poo for being too small and Bryce Young is way smaller than him

I don't remember hearing him being too small - he's 6'3". More that he was just a really lovely athlete. And boy is he!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

FizFashizzle posted:

He probably knew the job was a sham when Tepper made him hire the cast of Captain Planet instead of people who shared any of his vision for the Panthers and were loyal to him. Someone made a great point that it makes you understand why Nepotism is such a thing.

When Tepper said that Bryce Young was a point guard and would eliminate the need to draft elite wrs, I'm sure Reich knew, but he has always had a problem saying no or admitting defeat...

jaadee
May 3, 2013

pasaluki posted:

When Tepper said that Bryce Young was a point guard and would eliminate the need to draft elite wrs, I'm sure Reich knew, but he has always had a problem saying no or admitting defeat...

It's the anniversary of The Comeback today so kudos to you if that's why you slipped that in there. I remember being brutally cold at that game and asking to go home at halftime but my dad was too cheap to give up on the tickets he'd bought on the side of the road.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't remember hearing him being too small - he's 6'3". More that he was just a really lovely athlete. And boy is he!

I wouldn't say he's a lovely athlete, he can move around better than you'd think he can looking at him. Don't you remember everyone saying he was small and needed to get bigger when he got drafted, especially after he got hurt in training camp and had to start wearing the knee brace.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

jaadee posted:

It's the anniversary of The Comeback today so kudos to you if that's why you slipped that in there. I remember being brutally cold at that game and asking to go home at halftime but my dad was too cheap to give up on the tickets he'd bought on the side of the road.

Father knows best.

I remember there being stories of Bills fans trying to rappel or climb back into the stadium like they were Assassin's Creed characters.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

jaadee posted:

I remember watching that game with my Mom and my Uncle when I was real young, and for years afterwards she would bring it up to chide me for giving up on a game too early. To this day I feel bad turning a game off at halftime, and every time something like Jags-Chargers happens, I think of my mom going 'See?' lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

One of the things I noticed a few years back with Tua, is that in college he would take really deep drops on most pass plays, as Bama was mostly unconcerned with getting beaten around the edge. But he was really struggling with short sets in the NFL. I wonder if that's the major issue with Bryce Young. He's uncomfortable with short sets, and NFL edge rushers will get to you if you drop deep all the time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Lighter posted:

I remember watching that game with my Mom and my Uncle when I was real young, and for years afterwards she would bring it up to chide me for giving up on a game too early. To this day I feel bad turning a game off at halftime, and every time something like Jags-Chargers happens, I think of my mom going 'See?' lol
I didnt have that moment and I turned Jags / Chargers off after the third TLaw int. I laughed my rear end off when a friend told me he threw a fourth. Then I ignored my friend when he told me the game was getting good and the Jags stood a chance. I have regrets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Uh the reason the Seahawks won was because the 49ers tried Sherman with a sorry receiver like Crabtree. That would have been the case home or away.

Yeah, you're right. The play didn't matter. If Seattle didn't get the 1 seed, they wouldn't have had a game at home where they had the biggest HFA in the league and would have had to play an extra game while the 49ers would have had a bye. And then when they played in San Francisco at Candlestick which was loud as gently caress back in the day the game would have gone exactly the same, every single play from beginning to the end would have been the same. A game where Seattle barely won.

You are absolutely correct.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, you're right. The play didn't matter. If Seattle didn't get the 1 seed, they wouldn't have had a game at home where they had the biggest HFA in the league and would have had to play an extra game while the 49ers would have had a bye. And then when they played in San Francisco at Candlestick which was loud as gently caress back in the day the game would have gone exactly the same, every single play from beginning to the end would have been the same. A game where Seattle barely won.

It appears u mad

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Echoing this because I've seen the Eagles this season try to play defense with arguably the worst LB corps in the league at the moment and they're getting picked apart week after week. They're trying to compensate by having Reddick play a hybrid edge/LB role but that just neuters the pass rush and it all goes to hell

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 3, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Waltzing Along posted:

lol imagine replying like this to a (clear, v good) joke

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shyduck posted:

They're trying to compensate by having Reddick play a hybrid edge/LB role but that just neuters the pass rush and it all goes to hell

isn't that what they had him doing in Arizona and his mediocre production is why he was available to the Eagles in the first place

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Waltzing Along posted:

It is good that you understand the way of the world.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

AndrewP posted:

This is a genuine question not trying to be a smartass as I don't know the contract details but with CMC wouldn't the 49ers be a good example of the value of a top-tier RB?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Can someone edit Kam into Kyle Hamilton? Thanks in advance.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Tom Tucker posted:

This is a genuine question not trying to be a smartass as I don't know the contract details but with CMC wouldn't the 49ers be a good example of the value of a top-tier RB?

Top-tier RB's are generally luxury products in the NFL. They can be absolutely amazing if the rest of your team is already there but you'll run them down if that's all you've got. See CMC in Carolina vs CMC in SF.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I would say that CMC is a luxury the 49ers can afford because they're not paying a QB.

Jaylen Warren is making like $800k a year. Achane makes whatever a 3rd rounder makes. These guys are awesome and dirt cheap. Not AS good as CMC of course, but good enough that an OC like Shanahan could probably get 70-80% of CMC's value with them at a fraction of the cost.

I mean I'm a Ravens fan and have been dealing with RB-by-committee for the last decade but it seems to work

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 3, 2024

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

pasaluki posted:

Father knows best.

I remember there being stories of Bills fans trying to rappel or climb back into the stadium like they were Assassin's Creed characters.

There’s a great line in the Four Falls of Buffalo 30 for 30 where various Bills players/staff talk about fans who were at that game, where it’s at the point where (IIRC) Steve Tasker says “I’ve met 1.2 million people who were in that game and climbed fences to get back in.”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Elijah Mitchell is also pretty good for the Niners and makes less than a million/year. He absolutely doesn’t do everything CMC does, but he also has some advantages, like a 4.40 vs CMC’s 4.49.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rjmccall posted:

Elijah Mitchell is also pretty good for the Niners and makes less than a million/year. He absolutely doesn’t do everything CMC does, but he also has some advantages, like a 4.40 vs CMC’s 4.49.

And (granted against a terrible defense) the Niners didn’t miss a beat when they sat CMC last week, Mitchell had an identical y/rush. He absolutely isn’t as flexible a weapon but the Niners are still a top 5 offense with him in

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nervous posted:

Top-tier RB's are generally luxury products in the NFL. They can be absolutely amazing if the rest of your team is already there but you'll run them down if that's all you've got. See CMC in Carolina vs CMC in SF.

Yeah, if you look at the rest of the top 10 RB's by APY it's a laundry list of injured, bad or guys producing averagely on middling offenses.

Sadly, don't pay running backs continues to be the correct approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

I wouldn't say he's a lovely athlete, he can move around better than you'd think he can looking at him. Don't you remember everyone saying he was small and needed to get bigger when he got drafted, especially after he got hurt in training camp and had to start wearing the knee brace.

he moves around like a 60 year old man in the pocket

he's a dumpy slow dude

rjmccall posted:

Elijah Mitchell turns to dust anytime he has to get more than 5 carries in a game.