Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I will amend my anti-dynasty take for the Joe Flacco dynasty

I am entirely here for, and completely supportive of, Joe Flacco winning a ring for and on every single AFC North team before he retires and is inducted into the Hall of Fame. If he decides he only wants to do it for half the teams (Ravens and Browns), hosed up but fair, as we all know in our hearts he could do it for the other half too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Black Sunshine posted:

Do the locals appreciate the rebirth of Joe Flacco, elite NFL quarterback?

The 38-fold Path

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just lol at Flaccid styling on the "welp lost our QB, what can you do?" Jets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AndrewP posted:

It’s so hosed up that Browns fans love Joe Flacco
It’s weird to me too but I think it’s only possible because if his time in the jets being a backup. If he came straight over from the Ravens it would be a different story.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So you're saying a QB from the 2012 Superbowl can come in cold off the couch and blow away the 20% of journeymen backups that are currently starting?

Hmmm weird wonder who else that might apply to?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It’s weird to me too but I think it’s only possible because if his time in the jets being a backup. If he came straight over from the Ravens it would be a different story.

Don’t forget his time with the Broncos and Eagles!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Flacco did kinda suck on the Jets, but he also managed the most improbable comeback in the last 25ish years while on said Jets, so he wasn't completely washed.

It kinda shows how good a coach Stefanski is, and just how horrible Watson is now that he only looks on par with a rookie and an XFL MVP compared to a truly elite QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

It kinda shows how good a coach Stefanski is, and just how horrible Watson is now that he only looks on par with a rookie and an XFL MVP compared to a truly elite QB.

How much did this whole thing screw with Deshaun on the field? I mean he was/is a bad person, he has plenty of money despite that and will be getting more, that's all terrible. But he wasn't a bad QB on the field before the missing year and ending up with the Browns.

Now until proven otherwise he just sucks. At the very least on a benching Russell Wilson level sucks if he were healthy and I think he's worse than that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I have to imagine he at least suffered a ton of stress from all this poo poo going on and having to actually answer for his transgressions, plus the amount of hate he gets for the terrible things he did. He may not show remorse, but considering how big a step back his play has taken, it's definitely hosed with him mentally.

Now imagine how big a blow his ego would take if the Browns won a Super Bowl because some other quarterback came in and saved the season. Wentz wasn't happy that Foles got all the glory of winning the Super Bowl, and Wentz was a major reason the Eagles even made the Super Bowl! Watson doesn't even have that, once Chubb went down no one gave a poo poo about the Browns offense until Flacco. Nobody would argue the Browns wouldn't have reached the Super Bowl without Watson, it was the defense that carried the team for a large chunk of the season.

I definitely understand not wanting to reward Watson for being a piece of poo poo, but I think the Browns winning the Super Bowl would be a worst-case scenario for him.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
FWIW Watson didn't look terrible this year, he looked mostly mediocre on the whole. He had some bad games, particularly Cinci and Pittsburgh he was like throwing the ball in the dirt in front of wide open receivers all day. He had two pretty good games against bad teams Arizona and Tennessee. He also had one really good quarter against the Ravens that was key in us winning arguably our hardest game of the year in Baltimore, but was bad the rest of that game. He looked better than Walker and DTR, but not by nearly as much as he should.

What the Flacco success does is eliminate the argument that he was an good or even elite QB just doing what he could on a bad offense, shaking off rust, finding a rhythm etc. I feel like posters here would never have made that argument but I heard it a lot from local sports media, fans at bars, etc. It makes him look like a mediocre starter being paid top tier elite money. I feel like even people I know were supporting him before have absolutely turned and it's going to be funny watching what happens next year unless he turns a corner in a big way.

One interesting comparison between Flacco and Watson statistically is how Watson has 2x the drop rate that Flacco has(DTR has more than 3x). A bunch of guys that looked like drop machines the rest of the season suddenly look sure handed with Flacco throwing to them. Watson is among the worst in this stat league wide while Flacco is among the best.

Another fun one is intended vs completed air yards. Their intended air yards per attempt are within .1 yard of each other, but their air yards per completion Flacco is 30% higher. This is because Watson sucked at throwing beyond 10-15 yards this year. Note that Flacco is top tier in this stat and Watson while worse is about average and coincidentally tied with Baker Mayfield.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 29, 2023

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Watson has some 200+ mil in gaurenteed money. I don't think he cares one way or another and no amount of whataboutism changes that. Feels like a waste of effort to mentally construct what situation hurts him most

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

wilderthanmild posted:

FWIW Watson didn't look terrible this year, he looked mostly mediocre on the whole. He had some bad games, particularly Cinci and Pittsburgh he was like throwing the ball in the dirt in front of wide open receivers all day. He had two pretty good games against bad teams Arizona and Tennessee. He also had one really good quarter against the Ravens that was key in us winning arguably our hardest game of the year in Baltimore, but was bad the rest of that game. He looked better than Walker and DTR, but not by nearly as much as he should.

What the Flacco success does is eliminate the argument that he was an good or even elite QB just doing what he could on a bad offense, shaking off rust, finding a rhythm etc. I feel like posters here would never have made that argument but I heard it a lot from local sports media, fans at bars, etc. It makes him look like a mediocre starter being paid top tier elite money. I feel like even people I know were supporting him before have absolutely turned and it's going to be funny watching what happens next year unless he turns a corner in a big way.

One interesting comparison between Flacco and Watson statistically is how Watson has 2x the drop rate that Flacco has(DTR has more than 3x). A bunch of guys that looked like drop machines the rest of the season suddenly look sure handed with Flacco throwing to them. Watson is among the worst in this stat league wide while Flacco is among the best.

Another fun one is intended vs completed air yards. Their intended air yards per attempt are within .1 yard of each other, but their air yards per completion Flacco is 30% higher. This is because Watson sucked at throwing beyond 10-15 yards this year. Note that Flacco is top tier in this stat and Watson while worse is about average and coincidentally tied with Baker Mayfield.

What was that quote from Cooper? "His balls are just easier to catch"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Chris James 2 posted:

I will amend my anti-dynasty take for the Joe Flacco dynasty

I am entirely here for, and completely supportive of, Joe Flacco winning a ring for and on every single AFC North team before he retires and is inducted into the Hall of Fame. If he decides he only wants to do it for half the teams (Ravens and Browns), hosed up but fair, as we all know in our hearts he could do it for the other half too

Wouldn't that just be winning with the Browns twice?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Wouldn't that just be winning with the Browns twice?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
No, because the Ravens left that clown poo poo back in Cleveland.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Yeah yeah, just because your first team is stolen doesn't make it right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Browns wouldn't have won a Super Bowl if they stayed in Cleveland, that's why the Baltimore Ravens won two and not the Baltimore Browns. Similarly it's why the Houston Oilers never reached a Super Bowl until they became the Tennessee Titans, it's because Cleveland and Houston are cursed cities for football.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah yeah, just because your first team is stolen doesn't make it right.

We live in the world we have, not the one we'd like. NFL had plenty of opportunity to expand into Baltimore. They didn't for 12 years. Browns got their team back in 3 years and have bitched about for the past 20. Frankly, now that they look decent they should probably move again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I hope Joe thanks Art Modell in his post-Super Bowl interview

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

We live in the world we have, not the one we'd like. NFL had plenty of opportunity to expand into Baltimore. They didn't for 12 years. Browns got their team back in 3 years and have bitched about for the past 20. Frankly, now that they look decent they should probably move again.

Bring em to Portland after forcing the Haslems to sell and immolating nasty man

AndrewP posted:

And Lamar

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I love Portland, but this would be a dog poo poo football town.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I love Portland, but this would be a dog poo poo football town.

Isn't it basically a Seahawks market anyway?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

The 49ers have a ton of sway too. Also the Chargers. Oregon fans followed him to the league from college football.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

a neat cape posted:

It is.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Plot twist: it will be Portland, Maine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Put a goddamn team in Tokyo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The 49ers have a ton of sway too. Also the Chargers. Oregon fans followed him to the league from college football.

I always love the little splotches of the country that get random nfl games due to a college QB. Like Oregon getting Titans games for a while because of Mariota.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I always love the little splotches of the country that get random nfl games due to a college QB. Like Oregon getting Titans games for a while because of Mariota.

That was dope.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Portland's too small to have an NFL team. San Diego should probably have one though along with St Louis, San Antonio, Orlando, & Sacramento

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Portland's too small to have an NFL team. San Diego should probably have one though along with St Louis, San Antonio, Orlando, & Sacramento

Portland's rough now, you can't throw a cat without hitting a homeless person nowadays

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember when the Raiders were contemplating their move that Portland was a possible destination as them being an AFC team meant it wouldn't interfere with the Seahawks.

I don't know if I could handle Portland becoming a Raiders town.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nervous posted:

Portland's rough now, you can't throw a cat without hitting a homeless person nowadays

What do you live in SW Washington or something? Portland is fine.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Portland was nice. I used to live in Beaverton

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wilderthanmild posted:

much like sacks, drops are a QB stat in 95% of cases

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

Portland was nice. I used to live in Beaverton

Beaverton has the best Thai and Chinese Hot Pot.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think mxpx had a song about Beaverton and i remember thinking what a silly name that is, while living in a place called Tromsø

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Beaverton has the best Thai and Chinese Hot Pot.

There was a place called Changs when I was there. Best Mongolian BBQ I've ever had.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What do you live in SW Washington or something? Portland is fine.

idk, I heard there are freaks just walking around throwing cats at homeless people, sounds bad

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

There was a place called Changs when I was there. Best Mongolian BBQ I've ever had.

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/5596520?t=erL2v3gu5bEWxvk0cWVQlA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

AndrewP posted:

This is some real sick poo poo to put out into the world