Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

What is this?

Midnight suns is a card based tactical rpg set in a Marvel universe.

Okay, I realize that sounds bad. A lot of people are justifiably tired of the marvel cinematic universe and digital card games, but this game is unironically really good. It was developed by Firaxis and lead by Jake Solomon, the guy who did the Xcom reboots, and they know their stuff. The core tactical gameplay is tight and satisfying without being as unforgiving as their previous work. And the writing is a surprisingly good superhero adventure, that knows both how to write good quips and when to stop joking around.

LP structure

This is going to be a minimal grinding run, more for pacing purposes than for the challenge. This does mean that I won’t be able to max everyone’s friendship meters before the end of the game. If there is demand for it, there might be postgame updates grinding up everyone’s friendship. We’ll see if we get that far. I plan on completing the main game, DLC campaign, and the Abbey sidequests, but will probably not include most of idle dialogue in every section of the game-there’s a lot of it.

I will also be minimizing the use of some obviously overpowered things, to keep the game interesting.

Audience participation

Because the cast is quite large, using them all in the course of the main story is rather impractical. So you, dear readers will be given a chance to vote on who we will be focusing on, once we are out of the tutorial section. There’s also some character creation choices that will be left up to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
reserved

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Eastern European nation of Transia

You know how much I hate this hocus pocus nonsense Faustus. Now you wanna tell me just what the hell is so important?

You who rise with the moon in the darkness, who prepares the path for the Midnight Sun...
...Turn your merciless eyes upon us and ARISE!!!

Lilith...
My child...

Six months later southwest USA

Trouble in the air. More innocent blood joinin’ ya soon.

Head back you your magic castle. You ain’t welcome here.

It’s called a Sanctum. And welcome or not this is where fate has determined the Sorcerer Supreme needs to be.

Tell “fate”, answer’s no.
This is the secret guardian you dragged me 5000 miles to meet?
Who’s the mouth?
Mr Stark is brash by I assures you he can be trusted
Wait... You seriously don’t know who I am?
The fabric of magic is shifting, Johnny. The Prophecy of the Midnight Sun is upon us.
Your last crusade cost me plenty. This time I intend to look after my own.
Hey pal. I don’t think you understand. Things are changing. 2+2 now longer equals 4. Up is sometimes down and Strange here is actually starting to make sense!
Do I look like someone who gives a drat ‘bout any of that?
No you look like you should be bouncin’ for the Double Deuce. Listen, all I know is Hell’s comin’ and my pal here says you can help.

You’re welcome, Robo-Man

Iron Man. It’s okay, it’s fine! I know what he meant...

Johnny Blaze has sacrificed a great deal for this world already. I am certain he will come around given time
I thought you said time was the one thing we didn’t have? Alright. let’s just wrap this up. I think I’ve got sand in my nanopolymer weave.

And we’ve got gameplay. Just pick a blast card, and click on one of the souless minions to get blasting. Iron man automatically will move into position, with his new location after completing the attack shown in green.

Every time an attack card is played, you gain a point of heroism. This heroism can be spent on more powerful “Heroic” cards, like Air Support, which will blow up the other two minions.

After ending our turn, another pack of souless rush in for the second section of the tutorial, and we get to use some of Dr Strange’s cards. All heroes have their own decks of action cards, which are combined together into a single deck. From this combined deck, you can play 3 cards per turn. It doesn’t matter if those are from the same hero, or different heroes.

Strange’s basic attack is a tutorial for knockback cards. One of the reasons this game isn’t just a turn based RPG, knockback shoves an enemy a short distance, doing a bit of damage to both objects if it hits another enemy, object or hero. As Strange says, this is pretty much just an upgrade over Iron Man’s blasts because it sometimes deals 5 extra damage to another enemy, but that doesn’t really matter. The tutorial uses simplified cards to teach mechanics, these versions of blast and winds won’t be used anywere else. I’ll go into more detail about card viability when we actually get real decks.

Next Iron man finishes off the wounded enemy.

And we can use Strange’s heroic to take out the other tough enemy.

Iron man takes a hit, but in the tutorial enemy damage is negligable.

Now that I have their attention, perhaps a blessing is in order... something protective?

[img]https://lpix.org/4644978/vlcsnap-2023-12-24-18h29m29s961.png[/url][/img]

Guys, I just said enemy damage is negligable in the tutorial! Well, we don’t have any other cards to play, so we may as well put a shield on strange.

Skill cards are a grab bag of cards that don’t do damage or cost heroism. Using them provides 2 heroism instead of the 1 provided by attacks, to pay you back for their lack of ability to beat up bad guys. Heads up grants a bit of block, additional health on top of your base health. You can’t have more block than you have max HP, but it otherwise works just like real health.

The front minion is too far away from anything for Winds to kill it, so all we can do is beat down one minion and one regular souless. The two surviving enemies beat ineffectively at Strange’s block.

Round three, and while there is a lot of enemies spawning, we’ve got a reserve of heroism from last turn and drew Air Support.

This whittles down the pile of enemies, and lets me take out all but two. Now if only we had more some way of doing damage without play cards.

Oh right, rocks!

All battlefields in Midnight Suns will have a variety of environmental objects that can be weaponized against the baddies. These cost a small amount of heroism to use but don’t take a card play. This is a really clever bit of design-because environmental attacks are done on top of your primary action economy, they stay relevant throughout the game without completely overshadowing the actual deck you build. Lots of other tactical RPGs with environmental attacks have trouble balancing them, either being a pointless gimmick or overshadowing the actual character you have built.

Throwing two rocks at the last surviors ends the first tutorial fight.

If I’m being honest, that encounter went better than I expected.

Ya see, this is why you shouldn’t eat spicy food, Bruce...
...localized in the West Villiage, converging on the Sanctum...
Wanda!

Ya don’t say. You okay kid?

Yes. Are you?
Let’s put a pin in that.

Carol!?
Bruce and I’ve been trying to reach you. He’d have come himself but he’s-
You did the big green guy proud.

I really should up my homeowners insurance.

Hail Hydra!
Ms Maximoff, the wards of protection if you please.
Stephen, I can fight. I’ve got control now.
Then show me by activating the wards. In the meantime, in honor of our missing companion, the rest of you may feel free to “smash” away.
We picked up some crazy gamma readings coming from here.

Yes, but not why you failed to use the front door.
How about we discuss proper hero landing etiquette after we take down the bad guys?

Tutorial battle round two. We can take out the minions on the right with Winds and the convenient rock created by Carol’s landing, but that will only get me so far.

With only two attack cards, I don’t have enough heroism to afford Captain Marvel’s heroic. Thus, we get introduced to redrawing-every turn we can pitch two cards (1 in the tutorial) to get others. This gets us another attack to finish off the wounded hydra goon.

Next turn we get introduced to a new environmental element-sliders. Unlike the rocks from last misssion, these have to be shoved away from the hero activating them-they aren’t useful unless you can get in postion. To get the sofa lined up, the tutorial introduces the move mechanic. One hero per turn can take a free move to wherever they need to go. Other heroes have to get angles by strategically playing cards and using environmentals.

Silders are very powerful and even more satisfying. Not only can we destroy these two pirate goons, we can also smash even more of Strange’s antique furniture to splinters.

That does leave us with three goons to fight, and I realize I really should have had Strange throw the couch so he could knock the two on the left into each other as follow up. I throw some attacks out, killing one.

With that, Hydra finally runs out of goons, and we can beat the last two down over a couple turns, because this is the tutorial and they do negligable damage.

How do these guys keep showing up?

Despite the fact that there is a lot of them, I now have photon beam and the heroism to use it.

We’re three of the world’s strongest heroes, right? Doesn’t it seem like this should be easier?
I’ve punched through Skrull Starcruisers that went down faster... something’s up.
Yes, Hydra has clearly raised their game... and I have a terrible suspicion as to how.

The wards-something’s blocking them.
Not something. Someone.

Gozer?
Lilith. Mother of Demons, Harbinger of the Midnight sun. Prophecy or not you overstep. Challenging the Sorcerer Supreme at his very Sanct-

Be silent.

What just happened?

Be gone.

NO!

A fellow daughter of Transia.

You remind me of my own beloved-

Well done, Ms. Maximoff. Your unique energies surprised her.

Strange may talk too much, but he does know his stuff. Lillith may be powerful, but she was overstepping attacking Strange in his sanctum.

I’m fine! What? I’m fine.
The prophecy is in motion. Lilith is still out there, growing stronger each second the Midnight Sun approaches.
Define stronger.

I won’t go back there.
We all must eventually face our demons, Ms. Maximoff. However, one of us should remain behind to maintain the Wards of Protection.

See you on the other side...

The fabric of magic is unwinding. We are fortunate to be here at all.
And where is here exactly?
Salem, Massachusetts. Well, a pocket dimension in Salem, Massachusetts.
Oh, suburbs. Nice.
Welcome to the Abbey, home of the ...
Midnight Suns

What the hell is this? Lilith’s Junior demon league.
Wait, it’s that jerk from TV
Which one?
Now if everyone would just take a moment-
ENOUGH!

It’s been a long time Sara
It’s Caretaker now.
If I could have avoided this moment I would but-
Oh, spare me the speech. I know Lilith’s back. We are sisters after all.
Guess we’re suddenly invisible now...
Shall we chat, Stephen?

I only hope they are up for the task once more...
You wizards always make everything sound so lofty. I raised my sister’s only child as a weapon against her.
And saved the world in the process.
Now you want me to dig them up and ask them to do it again.
I did not write the prophecy, Sara. Besides, I am no common grave robber. We are simply reuniting their ethereal essence with their corporal form...
Speaking of, it would help to have a mental image for the proceedure. Spare no detail. Spiritual identity theft is no laughing matter...

What do you want our hero to look like?

Also do you want to follow the exploits of an Idealistic, Trusting, and Self-Sacrificing Hero or an Pragmatic, Cynical Anti-Hero

mr_stibbons fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 18, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like how everyone more or less looks like how they're supposed to, but Johnny Blaze is an old rear end man

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Female and Idealistic, Trusting, and Self-Sacrificing Hero for fun

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Idealistic, Trusting, and Self-Sacrificing Hero
Let's go with a girl with big hair.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DLord posted:

Empty quote.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I like how everyone more or less looks like how they're supposed to, but Johnny Blaze is an old rear end man

That's not Johnny.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game was really awesome and it's a shame that it didn't find a good audience. The combat system was a lot of fun and hanging out with your super hero buddies was well written.

I vote that the main character acts super naive and heroical, except if they are talking to a person who they feel comfortable opening up to.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's not Johnny.

What? He got a title card and everything.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 30, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
One of the things I love is that when Roboman makes his quip about how Blaze looks like an extra from Roadhouse, Blaze actually smirks briefly in response.

DLord posted:

Voting for this.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
My PC couldn't handle this when it came out, so I've only completed it within the last week or so. Yeah, it's a pretty good game with GREAT combat and I'm still in the mildly obsessed phase.

DLord posted:

This is a good way to go.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019

DLord posted:

I agree with this!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

DLord posted:

Totally.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's not Johnny.

???

DLord posted:

sure, why not

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
This is a game that had a ton of potential but really dropped the ball in some areas. I still enjoyed it (though I used mods to reduce the grindiness) but here are what I see as the major issues:
  • The social and combat elements are not well-balanced. You are constantly doing missions that seem like they hinge on doing something quickly, but then you need to go through 2-3 rounds of social time, and often one more non-story mission, before you can continue the mission chain. I think they would have been a lot better served with having the social segments be rarer (every day is way too much), but let you do more activities per social period. That way you'd break up the combat with the hero interactions I did quite enjoy, but it wouldn't feel so much like you are forced to run around the Abbey for 15-20 minutes between every mission.
  • As alluded to above, there is a serious amount of grinding involved to get resources for card crafting and card modding. Thankfully this can be significantly reduced by mods.
  • Heroes are very poorly balanced. Some heroes like Iron Man and Doctor Strange are fantastic while others like Wolverine, Deadpool and Captain America are quite bad by comparison. If they had done a better balance pass amongst the heroes, I think that would significantly improve game enjoyment.
  • Other than the Hunter, most heroes have what I consider to be woefully few card options, with something like ~10 cards total, of which almost always at least 2-3 are directly outclasses by another card in their set or which try to do some directly contrary to the hero's kit. If each hero had something like 3 more commons, 2 more rares and 1 more epic, I think that would help a lot (as would making sure each card has some valid niche).
Unfortunately, the DLC was also a casualty of the game's overall lukewarm reception, as all four hero DLCs have identical sets of enemies, which makes them feel very samey. I think the same story could easily have been told in a single or at most two DLCs, with each of the others having a more unique spin.

It is a shame that Firaxis more or less immediately disavowed a future for this one, as I'd have loved to see a sequel that improved on these elements.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's not Johnny.

The confusing part, is that even though someone in the art department decided to mock up a character that looks like Carter Slade, that is indeed Johnny. While there was a brief period where he did rock the facial hair (it was after one of the many times he died and/or lost his power) -- they never aged his character. So the game not keeping him a dirty blonde is the thing that I think is throwing everyone off.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 2, 2024

megane
Jun 20, 2008

grandalt posted:

Idealistic, Trusting, and Self-Sacrificing Hero
Let's go with a girl with big hair.

:yeah:

Superheroes I can take or leave, but the combat in this sounds pretty fun. Any game where you can throw couches at people gets some bonus points.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Hear the voice of those who beseech thee and...

WAKE UP!

Sara... where... is she
As far as resurrection spells are concerned... I’ve seen worse. Particularly on myself...

That thing wakes up and takes a bite outta ya, don’t blame me.
Visiting hours are over.

Later

There’s nowhere else I should be.
Just saw that Stark guy poking around behind the Mirror Table...
Find me as soon as they awaken. And Blade... be nice.
Always am.

I know this place... In my dreams, it was always empty. But now I sense...

There was one hair related vote, and while I am trying to honor it, I may just lose control of myself at some point.

Have to admit Hunter, you make one hell of an entrance. Guess that makes two of us
You should have struck when you had the chance, vampire. You will not live to regret your error.
Cute. And caretaker told me to be nice. Relax slayer. I’m a friend. You just don’t know it yet.
Yes... I saw you with Sara... before. But what would she want with a vampire, unless...
The name’s Blade and I’m no ordinary vampire. I get you’ve been outta commission, but I thought you’d notice since we’re having this little showdown under the freaking sun.
A dhampir? Daywalkers were a myth, even to me.
Says the half human, half demon, monster hunter.
You appear quite well versed in my history, Dhampir...
Heard my fair share of stories from Caretaker. The Legendary Hunter. Child of Lillith, last champion of the Blood. Some call you angel, some demon. Probably a little of both. Led the Knights of Wundagore against the armies of darkness until you fell at--
Fell?
Shoot. This is why they don’t normally have me do the meet and greets.
I can see why

Agreed. The prophecy is in motion. I can feel it. We have wasted too much time here already.
Man, the others are really gonna love you.
Others?
Yeah you’ve got a little fan club, I think. But why spoil the surprise. Hope you’re up for the challenge, chosen one.

The witch who called me back from the grave?
Ooor Nico. But either works. And this is-
Robbie Reyes! Oh man, never thought I’d be standing next to you. Got quite a rep. I mean, Caretakers’s told us... stories.
That’s Illyana.
Frivyet.
And I think you already met Blade.
Of course. Caretaker has re-formed the Midnight Suns.

The existence of the “real” Midnight suns in this plot is one of the first things that made this game catch my eye. The fact the four pretty obscure characters are taking a central role in the narrative, instead of the usual cast of big names and characters being pushed by Marvel is a good sign, as is the fact that the story arc this game is technically adapting is one the nobody who wasn’t reading comics in the 90s has ever heard of. It shows that there’s some actual passion and creative freedom in this game.

So... welcome home. I guess we-
I never left.
Right. Well we can fast forward through the tour then.

Course that doesn’t stop us from making some improvements. We can all thank Robbie for the wifi.
Oh! And one more thing. We’ve got some new houseguests now. You think we’re a fun bunch, just wait until you meet them. Speaking of... We’re here.

And you look... older. How long was I in that crypt Sara?
No more than a few centuries. You were missed.
Centuries? And... what of Lillith?
Fallen by your hand... until now.
Yeah, so speaking of Lillith...
Tony.
What? The kid’s literally speaking of Lillith.
Tony!]
That’s my name. Tony. That’s uh, Carol and Doctor Spooky over there. Here to help.
Help with what exactly?

Do you recall anything of that last encounter, child?
There was ... a voice. The rest is... hazy
A voice? That’s it? A voice?! That’s what we have to go on?
Results of your long crypt-sleep most likely.
A minor inconvenience. Everything required to restore those memories is contained within the sanctum. I will simply alert Wanda to prepare the necessary rituals.

Some Sorcerer Supreme.
Must be mystical interference caused by this little pocket dimension of yours.
Perhaps Agatha can help?
*Awkward silence*
Allow me. Allatou
Whoa. What kinda network you running there?

We just call it the “Mirror Table”

That’s impossible. Nothing on Earth could possibly affect those wards!
Wanda’s in trouble.
Wanda is trouble.
I’ll go.
You’ll need my help... of course.
Then let us make haste, Doctor Spooky. Our hunt begins now.
*Glowers at Tony.*

You are a Sorcerer Supreme. Can you not predict her movements?
Normally, yes... But since your mother breached the Sanctum, my sense of the future has grown velutinous in nature.
...Is that another language, or...
“Fuzzy.” My predictions are “fuzzy.” For the first time as Sorcerer Supreme, I cannot foresee how the future unfolds. And with my apprentice in danger, we cannot tarry.
Your Sanctum will survive. We shall see to that.

Friendship point get! All of the other playable heroes have a friendship meter, which is influenced by dialog choices and also other mechanics like taking them on missions with the MC. Every few points you’ll get a small scene with them and assorted bonuses.

You’ll probably be glad to hear that none of these go in an explicitly romantic direction. Between everyone’s vague ages and the various cannon love interests that everyone has, that would have been an absolute disaster.

I do not doubt Wanda’s capability. But without my predictive acumen, I cannot bolder the wards, should she need it. Still.... the wards are woven into the Sanctum’s very essence. They should hold.
In any case, all will be revealed in time. I suggest we make use of it while it still functions.

Not just about time, Mr. Brooks. Time, space, reality. The building blocks of magic all musty be constant for my portals to work properly. Yet as we now know – that is no longer the case.
We’ve heard.
Several times.
Otherwise I would still be hunting Dread Maidens in my sleep...
Indeed. And while I certainly appreciate the view of this vista, I fail to see how it will hasten our return to the Sanctum.

No, as I’ve just stated, magic is the problem.
Your magic is. Not ours. The ground you are standing on exists within two worlds. A mystical anchor point to Illyana’s realm that allows her to- well, I’ll just let her show you.

Any more questions?

Are you certain of that? Because I am sensing all kinds of-
Dark energy? That feeling you’re being watched? General hellhole vibe? You think this is crazy, wait until you see Manhattan.
From here, Magik can open gateways to just about anywhere on our planet... and beyond. We don’t want to risk punching through the wards protecting your Sanctum, Doctor, so we’ve chosen a safe exit a few blocks over instead.

Well, at least we know the wards of protection are still in place...
For now.
I suggest we hurry.

Arm Alpha in position. No one’s getting through.
Welcome to New York.

Looks can be deceiving I’m afraid. There’s no way these foot soldiers are behind the disruption of the wards of protection.

We got real cards now. Strange’s knockback card now has the quick keyword. This means that if it successfully K.O.s an enemy, you get your card play back. This keyword is a pretty key part of the heroism economy. Using quick cards on minions gives you heroism points without using card plays, which you can then spend. Quick knockback cards are are particularly great because they spread some extra damage while turning minions into heroism.

Since there are still minions around, try to do it again. Agomotto’s Gaze is another of Strange’s starting cards, which gives you back the last two attack cards played. This is a little situational, but it also will give you back the card play you spent on it next turn, which makes things a little more attractive.

Next bonk the other minion

Next, we use a new environmental to get some damage on the hydra officer. Vaults, various big square blocks, let heroes do pretty high damage to anyone on the other side by jumping on them. These do a lot more damage than throwables, but are trickier to line up without spending a move. Hunter starts lined up on the officer, which helps

Strange’s starting heroic, which I will only refer to as “Axe” has gained a couple new pieces of functionality. It now debuffs the target, and will spend two extra heroism if available to double the damage. Annoyingly, this is not optional. In this case, I used the vault to get below 4 heroism to avoid overkill.

Hunter’s starting heroic, whip, just launches an enemy a long distance in any direction. Like, into that unsafe looking electrical conduit. Unfortunately this card discards a random card every time you play it, which is profoundly annoying.

Turn two, blade take a hit from the surviving goon, but the hydra officer loses his turn to electrical conduit. Two new minions rush in, which is going to be happening basically every mission for the rest of the game.

We’ve drawn blade and hunter’s quick attacks, so the minions are summarily converted to heroism points.

With the heroism, Hunter steps over to the other side of the dumpster, and finishes off the officer with it. Then Strange uses his other skill to increase the damage of the other cards, though more importantly, gain more heroism.

Blade wraps things up by using his heroic. Stake does decent damage and also heals Blade for the damage dealt.

You were saying?

Glowing green demon goop-the answer to any an all questions about how these idiot fascists are so dangerous.

...fail!

Oh god.

Exactly.

Nope.
I’ll handle it.

It calls itself Venom. Until now a pale imitation of a very heroic young friend of mine.

We will feed your ugly tongue to the Spider, wizard. Marinate it in his stomach juices and eat it with his spleen.

It’s time for a supervillian fight. Supervillians have several privileges over basic goons. They have two actions every turn, and consequentially they do not show their target hero like regular enemies. In addition, stun effects can only reduce them to one action, not fully stop them.

So, let’s start with a blessing for more damage.

Then Blade can open things up. Strike is a chain attack, after the first attack it hits the same or a nearby target again. This synergizes with card Strange’s buff, doubling it’s effect.

Hunter can then get behind Venom for her basic attack. Unfortunately Venom is slightly too far away from promising red barrel, but I’ll settle for bouncing him into a minion.

For Venom’s first action, snares Blade in a puddle of symbiote goo.

Then he tosses hunter into the conduit she was standing beside. That was sloppy on my part.

So, right now only strange can still take action. Thankfully you will never draw cards for a hero who isn’t able to act, so strange has some options.

So Strange flies over to the other side of Venom, then uses Winds to knock him into Blade. Bound heroes are mechanically converted into a 1hp immobile enemy, and are freed when the enemy is KO.ed. So winds can free blade without spending a card play.

And while Venom may be smart enough to stay away from explosive barrels, the minions are not so smart.

This time, I’ve got more heroism that I know what to do with, so I drop the full power Axe on Venom.

This triggers Venom’s passive ability, Symbiotic skin. Whenever Venom is hit he has a 50% chance to trigger this, and then anyone hitting him for the rest of the turn with a melee attack will automatically be bound. I could just brute force it and have Blade hit Venom anyway, but that would be a bit of a hassle. I just throw another buff up and end turn.

Venom spends both of his attacks continuing to beat up hunter. This would have knocked hunter out, but Axe’s debuff, weak, halves the damage Venom is doing.

No escape from me, demon!

Hold up, We don’t know what we’re dealing with yet!

SUCH... EASY... PREY

Hey, big guy!

I was in the neighborhood, you know, being friendly, seemed like you folks could use a hand, Doc.
SPIDER-MAN!!!

WE WILL RIP YOUR FACE OFF AND SUCK THE MARROW FROM YOUR BONES!!
Always nice to see you too, buddy.
So... I’m thinking your friends here could use a little break. How about I take Eddie here for his afternoon walk?
*ROARS*
Don’t worry Doc, that’s just his way of saying he cares...

New world or not, some things remain unchanged...
The look.
What look?

Fire Dragoon. My memories may be fragmented but as I recall I killed the bastard.
And all it cost was a village.
Ah, of course! I see it now. The look!
Cut em some slack. It wasn’t that simple.
It never is.. Which is why I sent you to help. If Spider Man hadn’t come along today, we could have lost far more than...
Than the Sanctum?
Or Wanda?
She means I could have died. Again. Putting an end to her eternal crusade against my mother.
You’ve been through a lot. For now, it’s enough that you all made it back in one piece... more or less. We’ll talk more later. Get some rest.

There are so many layers of hosed to the relationship between Caretaker and the Hunter. They love each other, but they don’t trust each other. And they both know that as much as Lillith needed to die, training Hunter to kill her mother was a monstrous thing to do.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
This should be a bit of fun. I also like the hair.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

On the stark scale of reckless yet daring heroics I give it a solid six out of ten. Don’t worry, you’ll get there. With a little help.
Your support is...appreciated.
No problem. Already got a few ideas cooking. You’re not allergic to mimetic poly- You know what? Never mind, why spoil the surprise?
I couldn’t help but overhear Auntie Caretaker over there telling you to get some rest. Sounds like a good idea to me. I supposed I could keep you company on the way... seeing as our rooms are in the same direction and all.
Besides no one should be forced to walk the hallways around here alone.

Full transparency Hunter, there’s another reason I asked to join you here-other than my abject terror of this entire facility.

Teasing him here would be wrong. But it would be very amusing.

I assure you, there is nothing to fear here.
Well it’s easy to say not to be scared of things that go bump in the night when you are a thing that goes bump in the night. I supposed I should leave before whatever monstrosity that is most definitely hiding under your bed jumps out, rips my face off and then proceeds to feast on my soul. I’ll leave you too it.
May your sleep be filled with pleasant dreams, Tony.
Right back at ya. Oh, and if you hear the shrieking of a grown man, please ignore it. It’s just me walking to my room.

Now that Tony has left, we have a present of his to open.

When I’m not saving the world, I solve the world’s problems with technological means-like the one you’re holding. I call it the Spark, a secure information and communication device, built only for SuperHeroes
It does all the usual—private messages, pictures, and calls, for some reason. But it also comes with access to Superlink, a private social network exclusively for your cape-wearing, world-saving compatriots.
You might ask, “Tony-- aren’t you just repurposing a failed product from your communications division?”
If you do, I’ll revoke access and let everyone else know you’re a jerk. I call it the “Wonder Man” Rule.

Yes, we have our own personal chat room for the team. Such is life in the 21st century

I probably won't be showing all of the random chatter in superlink, just the ones I find relevant or particularly funny.

Then we have to pick a civillian outfit for running around the Abbey. I go with a pretty conservative sweater, because hunter is from the 1700s.

And after that it's time for sweet dreams.

The book! Is she reading from the book?!
Then we advance
No! Hold the line! I can stop her! Only I can stop her!
Child

I know, I know. I missed you too.

Aww, It must have been so hard on her.
Not just her. I suppose that’s why I might have been a little curt before.
A little

We do not choose our destiny
But we can choose to duck
First lesson you ever taught me
And still the most important. Especially now that you have all these eyes on you.
I have noticed
To these people you are a being of myth and legend – a grand hero of old. And they’re right – you are a hero
But I also know the battle that rages within your soul. It’s not enough that you are a hero, you need to decide what type of hero you will be.

This was a lot easier when it was just you and I beheading the Dark Legion as we traipsed through the woods.
Don’t forget about Agatha.
I never could.

Indeed. I met a Gabba Ghould once. We definitely do not want to invoke one of those right now.
So... Spider-Man?
Not that easy. These boys move too drat fast.
Keep at it. Even in New York City, those two stand out.

Think you can tell your friend inside there to turn it up a few hundred Kelvin?
I could. However, it might shatter the containment spell preventing him from incinerating this facility.

*Furnace Roars*

I think we’re good

The Forge has certainly changed.
Right. Caretaker said that this all happened after your... Siesta. What spooky castle would be complete without it’s own Babylonian demon powered furnace?
Sumerian Fire Demon. His name is Babs.
Now it all makes sense. Well once you get past the estoric terror of the situation. I’ve found this thing actually has some uses. Molecular bonding, breaking down evil gamma serums, fashion accessorizing...
Yes, speaking of...

Thought you could use an upgrade.
Well-hammered... Well-fired. Caretaker did not mention that you two were such skilled... Smithies.
Yup. I am Iron Smithy.
Perhaps you should just try it on.

Hunter, your new Attire suits you quite well. But how are you holding up on the inside?

You mean a physician of the medical arts? You jest.
I assure you, Hunter, I do not jest. They don’t call me Mister Strange now, do they? Except for Tony.

Your awakening ritual was admittedly a touch more chaotic than I had originally intended, and after your violent encounter with Venom, my oath to Hippocrates compels me to check in with you. Simply put, how do you feel?
You lost much yesterday, Doctor. I am the one who should be asking you how you are feeling.
I appreciate that Hunter. I, for one, do not know if I will ever feel one-hundred percent again after the events of yesterday. I still can’t believe what transpired. The Sanctum, all that knowledge... Wanda. Lost. Swallowed whole by the black mouth of that foul Venom creature.

Lilith’s power has placed a dark shroud over us all, Doctor. You are not alone in this.
Your words are appreciated. Still I must not allow the underlying truth of the situation to become shrouded as well. It is not just the Sanctum Sanctorum that was lost yesterday. It was my protege Wanda. She was, is, my charge, my responsibility and I failed her.

Wanda’s story is quite tragic, and perhaps not mine to tell. There was an accident on the Abbey grounds not long ago... Involving Agatha.
I feel like everyone is avoiding mention of Agatha.
I can’t say I’m surprised, but I’m afraid it’s really not my place. You should speak to Sara about her when you’re ready.

Who would have thought mystically-bound demon power would be so drat energy efficient. Or carbon neutral. Certainly got that new suit of yours done a lot faster than I expected. Speaking of... what’s the verdict, boss?
It is nice having an armorer on demand.
Any time I tried to make this version a little less palatable to that symbiote thing. Was this close to making it menthol flavored.
I’m betting you have questions. So... Ask away, Hunter.

Seen anything strange around here?
Other than my roommate? Boom! Roasted.
But on a more serious note, this place is legitimately haunted. Mirrors look back at you, my room rearranges itself, and worst of all... magic cats.
It just “poofed” in next to me out in the Yard. Small, black, furry. Cute little thing, probably some kind of shapeshifting monster knowing this place.

This is a hint to a secret. In addition to Charlie, there is also an Abby cat who can be pet for rewards. Said cat is hidden much better than Charlie, and while I do know all the possible hiding spots, it’s a pain to go check them, and we won’t have most of them unlocked for a couple hours anyway.

Thanks for keeping me up to date.

Anyway, remember that creepy gamma goop you found from that hopped up Hydra solider? Well I gave it a peek and that explains a lot.

I appreciate that.
Closest I’ve ever seen to this substance is pumping through Bruce’s veins. Part gamma accelerant, part unknown element. Calling it C.O.I.L for know, given it’s unique atomic structure. Man, I love acronyms.
They are using it to get stronger.
Exactly. A few drops would make your average salamander look like Fin Fang Foom.

You are not suggesting we start injecting ourselves with it.
No! No, nothing like that. Though I can see some future applications for my energy drink line. I was thinking we apply this stuff towards upgrading our equipment.
I like where this is going.
Just give me a little time here and I can whip up some pretty fun toys.

New cards! You can basically forget that wall of technobabble up above. Gamma coils are just new card packs, and you get one every mission even if it makes no sense for you to be able to retrieve some gamma goop. We have seen all these cards before, and I take another copy of slash.

Now we need to take a short hike over to the other card management station out back.

Caretaker put me in charge of your training. Too bad she didn’t listen to me yesterday. Now that we know what we’re up against, I think we could all use the practice.

Out in the yard you can use duplicate cards to upgrade cards. Each card has one unique upgraded state, and like pretty much everything in the game, they aren’t terribly well balanced. Some are very good, some are basically meaningless. Upgrading slash is one of the better ones. Upgrading to Forceful Knockback is effectively a 50% damage boost in most situations, and it opens up more options through the extra knock back distance.

Anyway, now that training is complete, we can bug Blade. You get a friendship point for getting down to business before trying to pry his backstory out of him.

Is your name really Blade?
Is your name really “The Hunter”
Yes...?

That is how I understand it.
It takes all kinds.
So is your name really Blade?
No.
So what is it?
It’s private.
Is it embarrassing?

You do not consider me a friend.
Not yet. Don’t take it personally.
So how old are you, Blade?

Much of the last century was a blur. I have occasional memories, almost like coming up for air before being yanked back into the depths.
What happened?
I killed a lot of vampires. I hadn’t lost my mind, exactly, but I got into a rhythm and never stopped. Never had a reason to stop.
What brought you to the abbey

Did she ever say why?
She said she thought I’d be able to kill more vampires if I was acting on more than just instinct, but I know it was more than that.
She gave me safe haven, here at the Abbey-- something I’d never known. Must’ve read half the books in the library by the time I headed out. So when she reached out and asked me to be part of this weird little club, of course I showed up.
What do you think of the Midnight Suns?

And I think we’re pretty green. But enough training will get us through it.

Well that was interesting. Next up we have to have a chat with the last Avenger on site.

I’m Carol. Carol Danvers, but you can call me Captain Marvel.
Kidding, Carol’s fine. Just thought I’d throw a bone to the Avengers PR team. Not gonna lie, going a few rounds in vampire guy’s magic Thunderdome sounds like fun, but we’ve go bigger fish to fry.
Well, not so much fish as that ginormous invulnerable sewer monster that swallowed the Sanctum.
Every lock has it’s key.

Strange, Caretaker and the rest of the funky bunch can try and “magic” their way through that shield all they want. If my time as a pilot taught me one thing, it’s that sometimes you’ve gotta find a workaround...
As in Hydra. They’ve gotta know a way inside. Steve’s always said they aren’t much for talking. But then again, I’m told I can be rather persuasive when I need to be.
Well, if there is any time to put your powers of persuasion to work, now is the time, Captain.
Trust me, Hunter, I’m looking forward to it. Hydra’s been a thorn in me and Steve’s asses for years. Can’t wait to remove them for good. Find me in the War Room when you’re finished here.

We waited all year for that game, and you know the Skrulls would have spoiled it for us if they got the chance.
Can’t you just-
Work my magic again? See, that’s the problem. This time I am working with actual magic. And let me tell you, it sucks!

If the gamma signature from the Sanctum is really that unique Bruce, then couldn’t we just -

*kicks machine*
We should be able to track this new gamma signature to it’s source then, right? I’d do it myself, but we seem to be having a little IT trouble today...
Please, Ol C.E.N.T.R.A.L. here’s ready to grind through that data like chum.
What exactly is a Central?
CENTRAL. Cognitive Encryption Net Transmogrification... Eh, we’ll figure it out later.
Sending co-ordinates now. Hope your gremlins enjoy gamma spectroscopy.

I heard that.

That makes two of us.
Hey, come one. Happens to everyone. Well, okay, not everyone...
Nice work, Bruce

My favorite kind. Anybody up for paying it a visit?
Definitely
Multi-million dollar piece of experimental technology... And she kicks it.

Gamma signatures and unstable isotopes aren’t really in my wheelhouse, so we’ll be patching Dr Banner through from Avenger’s Tower.

Probably can scratch “abandoned” off the description of this place.

Johann Fennhoff. That hack. I heard he was dead. Well hoped is perhaps the more accurate description.

Calls himself Faustus now.

That’s magic coming from those crates. I can feel it.

Yeah? How about Gamma radiation?! You feeling that too? Because that’s some pretty evil looking Hydra tech down there.

Kill them.

Faustus apparently couldn’t spring for some interesting Hydra goons, just a pack of minions and grunts. This is somewhat tolerable, because I have Captain Marvel through this mission. With all due respect to people who like the character, as a unit in Midnight Suns, she has issues.

First though I can break out our new upgraded slash to oneshot a goon by bouncing him into an explosive barrel.

That gives up a level up. Characters level up by playing cards, which increases their health and damage. All cards do damage based on some multiplier of a character’s attack stat, not a flat damage value, which is why I have avoiding ever mentioning the numbers on attack cards when discussing how good they are.

I’m not a great fan of this system, because it just makes the game less readable at higher levels. They probably would have been better off not having the card damage and enemy health scale, but who am I to argue with the siren song of numbers going up.

With that and a quick shot from Blade we’ve got enough heroism to use Captain Marvel’s only decent card, Fists of Radiance. This smashes the poor goon down a drop. Whenever an enemy gets knocked down a drop they have a chance to be instantly killed depending on their current health, starting at 25% for full health. Minions always fall in, and supervillians are immune.

Then blade does some more minion cleanup.

Some more minions come in, and they conveniently stand next to yet another explosive barrels.

Things wrap up easily.

The perfect opportunity to field test Mother’s device.

Watch out

Get her!

For the record Bruce, I did not smash that thing.

Captain Marvel is designed around a central mechanical gimmick-after you play three of her cards, she can enter the Binary state. This doubles her offence and gives her block equal to half of her health, and the state ends if she loses all her block.

With all due respect to the developers, balancing the normal and double damage states is a bit of a nightmare, but this system is largely to Captain Marvel’s detriment. Most of her cards are really bad in her base state, which makes getting to Binary major sacrifice, and in later levels, half your health in block vanishes alarmingly fast.

Now, because this is the Captain Marvel tutorial mission, she starts this half already in Binary, so we can have some fun.

For instance, Binary Photon Beam oneshots basic grunts.

Hunter and blade are basically on minion cleanup duty.

Explosive barrels can be detonated by spending a heroism if you can’t find a way to hit enemies into them, but it always feels a little bad.

Anyways, there is an objective here. You need to recover the artifact, and to do that we need to deal with the big shield dude who just dazed Blade. You have three turns to remove all his block then you can play the recover artifact card to secure it.

Binary Fists of Radiance solve all manner of problems. Shield guys are immune to knockback with their shields up, but the base damage is still enough for the job.

Artifact get.

One less thing to worry about. Approximately 16,342 more to go. I suggest starting with the remaining Hydra forces in your vicinity.

However, now I have to deal with the other problem with Captain Marvel. Half of her starting deck is 2 and 3 cost heroic cards, and that’s just too many heroic cards. I’m heroism screwed, and have the choice between playing a heal that I barely need, or a card draw card that is entirely redundant because you draw to six cards every turn.

Now that his shield has broken, Shield guy opens up with his secret move-exploding himself. This really hurts, but as you get an entire turn of warning, it’s not actually much of a threat.

Heroes are pretty intelligent about these kind of damage areas. You can see here that blade is going well out of his way when shooting a minion to make very sure he isn’t ending his movement in the blast radius.

And explodey shield goons aren’t immune to knockback, or immune to being knocked out by an angry Captain Marvel.

Bad guy crate. Full of bad guy stuff.
I know those symbols. From the time of the first Hunt. That glyph means “barrier” That one “almighty” something something “gods and demons”
So it’s a spooky bad guy crate
Very spooky. Designed to contain powerful magic. Be careful.
Got it. Don’t cross the streams.
Never do. How about we get this thing back to the Abbey and see for ourselves?

Kid? You do know that I am a good three centuries older than you, right?

Okay. Abbey Tournament. Tonight.

The eternal Spirits of Vengeance take technical fouls very seriously. Especially in the 4th quarter.

It is always movie night.
Exactly

Well if the parking is free, clearly no one from Manhattan.

Come on, you should hang out.
I... should rest. Another time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Fun game so far. I will continue to follow this thread.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, it goes to get better as more is unlocked.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
There are a lot of little details this game gets right. That includes having a piano that a few characters will play sometimes. My favorite is that you will see Tony and Strange playing chess at one point and if you look at the board, you’ll see they’re only a few moves into the opening and are playing the Bongcloud.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Narsham posted:

There are a lot of little details this game gets right. That includes having a piano that a few characters will play sometimes. My favorite is that you will see Tony and Strange playing chess at one point and if you look at the board, you’ll see they’re only a few moves into the opening and are playing the Bongcloud.
That's amazing. Love me some good chess humor. This game owns in general.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Enjoyed the game. The writing was amazing, loved the chatter, the easter eggs, the world building.. Combat I was ambivalent on but that's mostly on me not being super fond of card battlers. Got it as it was Firaxis and Marvel turn based. Worth it!

Game had pacing/content issues, and fairly odd scaling patterns.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
And sadly issues getting it to open with Steam

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game seems dope. I admit I only know about it because they did a crossover thingy with Marvel Snap, but still.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Card update #1-Blade, Hunter, and Captain Marvel’s starting cards

As mentioned before, cards in this game don’t do flat damage, instead doing a multiplier of a Character’s attack stats. I’ll be using the notation of X*offense when talking about damage.

Also, there was a slight recording hiccup, and I had to replay some stuff. So the Slash+ I got last update is now a Strike+, and I’ll be more careful about manual saves in the future.

Remove minion, gain heroism. Quicks are an important part of your decks, and this upgrading into a knockback quick is a major upgrade that adds multi target potential.

While the starting attacks for all heroes top out at 1*offence,1.5* offence is the baseline for rare and upgraded cards. After upgrade, Slash is the gold standard for attack cards in the game. It hits the 1.5* offence damage baseline to the primary target with an impact, and the knockback can damage other enemies or take advantage of explosives or conduits.

Your official panic button. This is a huge amount of healing that is stuck to the MC which will let you grind out earlygame fights if you can’t get a quick advantage. As the game progresses, I’ll probably drop down to one copy, but it’s good to have in your pocket

Discarding a random card is profoundly annoying to use even if you aren’t at risk of running out, and this really isn’t offering a powerful enough effect to be worth the hassle. It’s good at taking advantage of environmental effects in the early game, but not much more than that.

As the protagonist who is mandatory on most story missions, it’s a relief that Hunter’s starting cards don’t hold her back. 2 quicks 2 attacks 2 skill 2 heroic is a nice safe deck composition, and none of the cards are stinkers, though slash really needs it’s upgrade.

One of the worse quicks in the game, the fairly niche upgrade leaves this very cuttable once other heroes have better upgraded quick attacks.

So strike badly needs it’s upgrade to hit that baseline, strike plus is a competitive attack card that is reliable and flexible. It also synergizes well with Make em bleed, letting you spread bleed onto multiple targets.

Right now, this is pretty questionable. Bleed is potentially a lot of damage, doing 1* Blade’s offence every turn, but it requires leaving an enemy alive to beat you up for two turns, which makes it a bit niche. Later on, as Blade gains more cards that care about Bleed, this turns itself around, this becomes a key part of Blade’s gameplan, providing the bleed and digs for more Blade cards to apply and take advantage of bleed.

Another Blade card which badly needs an upgrade, but with that is a solid workhorse card that’ll stick around for a good while, doing good damage while offering some healing utility.

Blade’s starting deck has the same safe composition as Hunter, but with a lower average card quality. Still, a solid inclusion in the early game, especially after a few upgrades.

The poster boy for captain marvel’s problems. Without binary, this is one of the most do-nothing attacks in the game, the small amount of damage and block just doesn’t really advance the game state in your favour. With binary, it gets to the lofty heights of above average, doing baseline 1.5* damage with a good bonus of all the block. Good, but not so good to be worth the work you are putting in.

The way binary works, it rewards non damaging skill cards, as they don’t do damage, and thus move the binary meter without suffering from the lack of damage buff. Unfortunately, the developers thought of that, and left Captain marvel with some pretty bad skills. In a game where you draw back up to a full hand every turn and get two redraws, card draw is a fundamentally low value effect. You’re not going to run out without a lot of ways to play extra cards, and you’ve got a pretty decent card selection. And this one does nothing if you’ve drawn a lot of Captain marvel cards. To be charitable, drawing captain marvel cards does help with binary. One of the problems you’ll run into with binary is you use all your Captain marvel cards getting to binary and then don’t draw any more to take advantage of binary. But you’re still sacrificing tempo just to get more cards.

The one actually good card in Captain Marvel’s starting deck. It starts as a slightly subpar damage card at 2* offence for 2 heroism, but then becomes an amazing 4* with binary. This is a case study in why conditional double damage is a balance nightmare- If the base damage was only a little bit lower, the card would be pretty bad. The upgrade is pretty minor, but as mentioned above, more Captain Marvel cards are useful, and you can get the card by bouncing the target into a minion.

Another Captain Marvel card, with a story you’ve heard before. It’s pretty bad without binary, and a little above average with it. Line attacks have some caveats, they generally are going to take your move to get a good angle, and even with the extended width hitting more than three enemies takes a bit of luck.

Captain Mavel’s general design issues are seriously exacerbated by her starting deck, which has someway too many heroics and some pretty bad cards with weak upgrades. It’s really annoying how often she is mandatory in the early game. She does get better with more cards, but a lot of players will write her off completely because of her bad starting deck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I know its game mechanics, but is there any actual reason why Captain Marvel couldn't chump the hydra goons solo with one hand tied behind her back?

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Its the wierd goo and Lilth making them a bit more tough

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Blade is regrettably terrible because bleed only activates at the end of the turn (i.e. after the enemy gets their action) in Vanilla. If you use the mod that has all bleed effects activate at the start of turn for all characters, it really improves his kit and also makes enemies that inflict bleed more interesting.

Captain Marvel starts a bit rough and only becomes at best average later in my view. The primary issue is that a lot of her cards are Taunt or block based, but the best strategy is just to kill everything, making both Taunt and block sub-par. I would have loved to see them have a Taunt+ or something, that on application had the enemy attack the hero in question immediately, as that would be a significant boon toward making it useful.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Blood magic stuff. Cool room. Spacious. Aww, is that bed for Charlie!
Yes.

Wait, where was Charlie sleeping before this?

So, if you’re planning on giving me some sorta brooding “code of the stoic warrior” speech, I’m immune. Just ask Blade or Magik

Work?
Yeah, talking to people, making friends, basic human stuff... or quasi human. You’re a Midnight Sun now. One of us.
Nico I was just “Hydra bombed”. I could use some rest.

I will meet you outside.
Yes! I’ll go nuke us some popcorn and you pick our a movie! Oh, and it may just be the two of us. The others went outside, needed to cool off. Really need to hang a fan over that Forge. Or maybe crack open the Casket of Ancient Winters a little...

Hunter has been adopted. Resistance is futile, friendship is inevitable.

I know this entire situation’s gotta suck for you. Not just the whole “resurrected chosen one” thing. I get why facing Lilith won’t be easy. I was fifteen when I found out my mother was Capital E Evil.
Was your father there for you when you found out?
Uh, dad was evil too. Long story, lots of drama. There was a cool dinosaur- I’ll fill you in later.

Makes me hate her even more.
I did not realize you carried such pain.
I just leaned to bury it. You think I can afford a therapist on a Super Hero’s salary?
I’m kidding. We don’t get paid for this.

So the first thing you need to know-the glowing briefcase is a metaphor.

We have just completed our first hangout! Hangouts are short scenes with other playable heroes that provide large amounts of friendship points. Different characters like different activities, but for the tutorial Nico insists on one of her favourite activities. Hangouts are sometimes available in the night.

So? What did you think of the movie?
I understood more than I shouldn’t
How? You’ve been dead for three centuries

...Dreamt.
Of what?
Of everything. Much of this world is familiar to me. I know it from my dreams
That’s not creepy at all. So... Do you know everything?
No, I... Think of it like this. I know what a car is, but I have no idea how to drive.

Just what you shared earlier.
You’re always free to ask
Tell me about your old team.
The Runaways? Sure thing.
Were you all heroes who banded together?
No, we were normal kids. We saw each other once a year, when our parents got together to reminisce. Then we found out two very disturbing things.
First, our parents were supervillians who sacrificed children to evil gods. Second, each of us had some sort of powerful birthright. Our parents wanted us to follow in their footsteps.
What did you do?

You know, typical kid stuff.
Where are your friends now?
Molly attends Xaviar’s School for Gifted Youngsters. Karolina left earth to marry alien nobility. Gert... She, uh... She didn’t make it.

After Gert passed, Chase and I had a falling out. The last I heard, he and Old Lace are living at his family home in L.A.
How does the staff of one function?
It’s blood magic, so my own blood is required to summon it. You wouldn’t belive how many bandages I go through each year.
What about the words you speak?

If each magical effect is unique, do you worry you will run out of words?
Not really. I only use the staff’s power when I need it. The rest of the time I rely on more conventional means. Like, y’know, magic.

This is a bit of a cheat on the games part, Nico is generally not that well versed in regular magic, but it is kinda necessary for a card game, and being tutored by caretaker does provide an excuse for why she has more magical skill in this continuity.

I should go.
Um ahem good timing-looks like Caretaker wants to speak with you.

I was planning on getting some rest but-
...things are moving at a frantic pace. For all we know I’ll be landing a jet on the roof with Mr. Stark this afternoon. Now quite like it was in the good old days

I’ll give you that. But there were times back then I wouldn’t trade for anything. With both you and...
Agatha? Where is Agatha?
I’m sorry, I should have had this talk with you much sooner, but you should know... Agatha... She’s no longer with us.
What? That is impossible. She was so...
Fierce? Indomintable? Or maybe just kind to a fault.
You do not have to do this.

And more so than anyone you deserve to know.
Agatha died in an accident caused by her protege Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch. The Midnight Suns latest recruit, a powerful spellcaster in her own right, perhaps the most powerful Agatha and I had ever seen.
Agatha was killed.

So I did what needed to be done. I sent Wanda away to the Sanctum Sanctorum. To study under Doctor Strange. I know the others still harbor a great deal of resentment towards me for it.
Was Wanda so different from me as a child? Was it that easy to send her away?

I thought she would be safe with Strange. On that part I was clearly mistaken. Wanda, Agatha... It seems we have lost them both now.
I conjured a small shrine to Agatha’s memory on the grounds, hoping to find some solace, a way to move forwards. You should pay your respects. Maybe you’ll find what I couldn’t

Charlie helpfully leads us to the shrine, though it’s not really necessary since objective markers exist.

Agatha!?

You always did have the most remarkable eyes, Hunter. Just like your mothers.
The first?
To commune with the spirits of course...
Is this a trick of some kind? Because I am not amused.

I actually find it quite liberating.
...you are dead.
Always straight to the heart of things. That’s my Hunter.
You seem strangely at ease about this whole thing.

And what have you been doing all this time?
Meet me by the cave just over there... you know the one.

I think we can safely lift the veil on a few more of our secrets, what’s the worst that can happen?

That ominous looking portal is known as a Blood Gate, and you’re the only one among us who can pass through it.
Blood Gate? Caretakers handiwork

I have noticed that.
What lies beyond is meant for you as much as it ever was for her. Assuming you’re up to the challenge that is...
You know I am.
I do, but it’s always polite to ask.

There was a time when the Blood stood within these celestial halls to prove their worth.

Sara- Caretaker, was here?
Nothing ever comes easy, dear. The Elder Gods felt their descendants needed to earn their blessings. Which is why they created these trials to begin with.
Trials? I should have known.

And this is my challenge.
Yes, but I may have found a loophone they never considered. Why don’t you try summoning your four legged friend.
The old Gods are responsible for a great many creations, including your faithful companion. I think even they tend to forget that.

Agatha has dragged us into a special combat challenge, which only Hunter and Charlie can participate. Charlie isn’t a real hero unfortunately. She can only appear in fights under specific circumstances, like in these challenges. She always has the same deck consisting of three cards whenever she helps out.

The most important by far is Howl. This skill applies the marked status condition to all enemies in an area. Marked basically makes all cards quick against marked enemies, you always get your card play refunded when they die. Against the swarm of minions in this encouter, one howl provides 3-4 additional card plays.

To take advantage of all these plays, Charlie has bite, a fairly basic attack that lets you draw a card when it K.O.s an enemy.

With these tools, Hunter has plenty of heroism to pick off the rest of the minions with the plentifyl supply of rocks around the arena. Charlie, sadly, cannot use environmental attacks.

So, you may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned what difficulty I’m playing this game on. That is a way to show off the way this game’s difficulty works. On a new game, you only have the two difficulty options-normal and story. However, as you play through the game, six additional difficulty levels will slowly unlock. I really like this, by giving players intermittent reminder about the difficulty it encourages new players to step things up once they’ve gotten comfortable with normal.

I immediately slam the difficulty slider up to Heroic 1. I’ll probably be gradually stepping this until Ultimate 1, and then going based off my comfort level. I’ve played this enough times that I can handle myself, but I’m not going to beat my face against a wall to prove myself to the goons.

Good girl, Charlie! Oh, and you too Hunter. You’ve finished this trial, but don’t worry... the other gods are waiting.

Anyway, let’s head into the spooky cavern that opened up after beating the challenge.

The two of you, as well as your mother, are the last of your kind- The Blood. Your lineage follows an unbroken line to the Old Gods themselves. And if you call upon them, you might just find they’re actually listening.

Why don’t you ask the goddess Oshtur for her aid in dealing with that barrier over there.

Putting the plate on the platform unlocks one of the words of power. These are a series of minor spells that can be used to explore the abbey grounds between missions as part of an extended sidequest. It’s a nice break from missions every now and then.

It’s hard to believe Lilith and Caretaker brought this place all the way from Transia. This are is particularly attuned to the forces of magic.

And why our sanctuary here has remained all but impregnable over the centuries.
Hmph... and now I’m rambling on like an old Sorcerer Supreme. Why don’t you come see me in the library tomorrow night.

Goodnight, Hunter.

I’m going to have to break this here, I’m going to need a vote at the end of next update, and this is good stopping point, even though the update is shorter than usual.

mr_stibbons fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 21, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Truly, it was Agatha all along.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013

This should have Hunter talking instead.

Still Like this a bit of a call back kind of to the show.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

DLord posted:

This should have Hunter talking instead.

Still Like this a bit of a call back kind of to the show.
Thanks for the help.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Ah, yes. The “spooky crate”
The very one. Though it is far from any mere container, I assure you. I am detecting powerful emanations from inside. If this is a sign of what Hydra is after, I fear we are all in grave danger.

Or we could open it, Tony. And perhaps use the mystical energies I sense inside to our advantage.
I heard a “we” in there. Green goopy gamma serums are one thing. I’m not opening boxes full of mummy curses.
You don’t have to. Hunter, if you’ll allow me...
Your second funeral, boss.

And you think you can do it with whatever is in the container?
Tony has one of the greatest scientific minds that I’ve ever seen. I, of course, have an unparalleled understanding of the mystic arts.
I have no doubt that we can find a way to research whatever we find in there and have it work in our favour.
I hope the two of you create something powerful. I want to stop Lilith quickly and decisively.

His discomfort with the esoteric nature of the arcane might be a problem. But Tony’s eccentricities aside, I know you can make this work.
If I can find items to research, I can give the Midnight Suns every possible advantage over Lilith and her disciples.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What? Is it worse than you expected?
No, it’s... totally unexpected. It’s the Eternitiy Dagger. This was in a place of honour in my bedchamber in the Sanctum for years. The Sanctum Sanctorum is no common domicile to be burgled. These barbarians have no idea what they possessed.

A distressing thought. If they had my dagger, who knows of what others of my priceless possessions have passed through their greedy fingers. The Cube of Nothingness, the Tear of Prophia and most worrisome of all...
Your Toothbrush? You, uh, had a little coffee thing going on this morning with your breath.

I believe Carol is already working on it.
Now that this artifact has been returned to its proper owner, we shall see if we can make use of the mystic forces contained within.

We’ve unlocked research! Collecting Strange’s lost possessions will provide access towards a wide variety of bonuses to tactical combat and the strategic layer. Research project have two requirements to start- the first is research level, the total of Strange’s knickknacks we’ve recovered as mission rewards. The second is a small mission tied to a specific hero. Usually this is taking them on missions or upgrading a certain number of their cards. It’s a blunt but effective way to encourage players to put some effort into every hero.

All the research currently available is level 1, so that’s not an issue. There are two research projects that are immediately unlocked from the mandatory hero selections on the previous missions. Strange unlocks the item bench and combat item system, but we’re going to start with Captain Marvel’s, which let’s us pick two cards from four options every day instead of one from three. There’s a lot of cards that need upgrading. There’s also a currently locked research project from Blade which is really, REALLY important, but we can’t get until I we can put Blade on another mission.

We also get our daily cards. After retcons, we already have a strike+, and I’d like to spread the upgrades around a bit. Cosmic ray, despite being a new card, is really bad. It requires both Binary and targeting enemies targeting captain marvel to be useful, which is too many hoops. So I’m picking Holy Flame, which is also a pretty questionable card, but taking it let’s us upgrade Slash, and Holy Flame isn’t that much worse than base slash.

Hey hunter, could you meet me in the Forge?

The Forge is pretty badass, but the creature trapped inside riles up my own inner demon. Uh, speaking of... There’s something you should know about me.
You are bonded to a Spirit of Vengeance.
drat, you’re good! How could you tell?

Three centuries ago.
Oh, man. Um...
Sometimes when I have crap to work through, I like to get my blood pumping. Why don’t we hit the Yard for a sparring session. I know Sparky’s excited to meet you.
“Sparky”?

Also, he’s not allowed inside after the... incident with Caretaker’s Sumerian sofa.
It would be my honor to spar with a Spirit of Vengeance.
Ha! Wow, he’s real excited. Never thought he’d get “bouncy,” but here we are.

So, the final part of our daily routine is sparring. Every day we can practice with one hero for some friendship points with them and some other minor bonuses. This one grants Ghost Rider a small bonus on the next mission he’s on, but you can also get free resources or bonus levels.

It is indeed, Daywalker
And that op against Faustus. The way Captain Marvel just absorbed that bomb. Unbelievable, isn’t it?
That bomb was clearly meant for me. I am in her debt.
Yeah, but I don’t think she sees it that way. She just saves people. Amazing. Smart, quick witted, fearless... Hell. She even glows...

Yes. No. Wait... what are you trying to say?
You are not used to expressing feelings of affection, are you?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

My apologies. Of course it is not. Whatever a rodeo is.
Yeah, well, now that we settled that, maybe I should go, uh, sharpen my stakes or something. And maybe we should keep this, uh, chat to ourselves for now.

I would like to make very clear that the key used to interact with objects in the Abbey is normally “E”.

There’s a variety of collectibles hidden around the Abbey, including set of marvel themed Tarot major arcana that will give you rewards if you pick up all of them. Generally, by the time you can actually get the full sets, the reward isn’t a big deal. I won’t show most of them, but the old midnight suns graves are a little interesting.

You called for me, Captain?

Got a lead on some particularly gnarly Hydra operations happening in the city. But we need to move fast if we want to intercept them in time.
Then let us get going.
My thoughts exactly. There’s just one problem, though. We seem to have lost our gatekeeper- Magick
Lost

There is no passage to New York. Or anywhere for that matter.
Now you see my problem.
Do not worry, Captain, I will locate and alert her of the teams needs.

Then I shall make haste.

No, but there were some pretty crazy energy flashes coming from the dorms a few minutes ago. Usually means she wants to be left alone. Trust me on that...

Wanda. It belongs to Wanda.
Let me guess, you are to ask me to do the one thing the others value me for, opening their precious portal. Well I am in the middle of something. Come back later.
It is never easy to lose a comrade. I know this too well.
We did not “Lose” Wanda. We let her go. Before any of this happened.
Wanda’s first grimorie. Agatha gave it to her when she was teaching her witchcraft, the dark arts. She was trying to help Wanda control her powers.

I am going to execute the light side run that was voted on in the first post. However, there is no chance that lecturing Illyana here is going to move this conversation in a productive direction. There is no shortage of points in this game, so I am going to be diplomatic and pick the middle option.

I do not suppose there are any spells in there that will banish Lilith and save the world?
Hard to say. These incantations appear to have been written for Wanda alone. Maybe a world without Wanda is one we are not meant to save.

Your heart so filled with soot that it chokes out all the bright parts of you, until you are just a dark thing of smoke and ash...
I cannot let such a fate happen to her.
We will find her. I can feel it.

Illyana. Just open the portal.
You are like an Avenger. All you do is take, take , take. You expect too much.
Okay. I will open your drat portal.

Well. That went poorly.

When Hydra isn’t preoccupied with world-ending scenarios, they spend a lot of their free time terrorizing the citizens of New York through various low-level operations.
It’s fairly routine stuff for heroes these days, and worst case we’ll still get some fresh intel in the process. Why don’t you check on the mirror table and see what we’ve got on our plate?

For the first time, we get to pick a hero to bring with, and we might as well bring someone new. The instinct of most new players would be to pick Ghost Rider, since he just got a combat bonus from the sparring tutorial, but that’s probably not the best idea. We’re locked into Captain Marvel, and like her Ghost Rider has a starting deck that is half heroic cards. Bringing them both is not the best idea. You may also think the bring Magik, to let her see some action after that last conversation, but Magik doesn’t really work until we’ve completed Blade’s first research. So, instead we’ll bring Nico, because Tony is boring.

Nico is too cool for superhero codenames or costumes.

We’re sending you straight to the coordinates Captain Marvel identified in New York. Dr Banner has confirmed that the gamma signatures in the area match those of Faustus’ weapon. We need to recover whatever intel we can if we’re going to find out exactly what’s going on down there.

Ah, heroes... a single world-ending calamity is never enough to satiate your appetite for destruction. You insist on meddling further, forcing our hand yet again.
Oh, that’s just lovely. Faustus has a radio.
I’m assuming whatever Hydra is attempting to flee with on that chopper is our target. I suggest we stop it and see for ourselves.

Nico is mostly a support character, though she has a bit more damage options than Strange. One of her most notable cards is Empower, which just makes every heroic card in the hand cost 0 heroism.

Which means we can just drop a beam through some minions and into the objective helicopter. There is a time limit on this mission, but it’s extremely generous, and not really a big deal to get damage on the copter.

Then she’s in the right position to jump on a hydra grunt. Hunter follows up on the same grunt, but doesn’t KO.

We are dealing with hydra officers again, but unlike in the first mission, this idiot is actually going to take some turns. Hydra officers apply a random minor debuff to the hero they hit. In this case Captain Marvel will now do half damage next turn.

They can also turn hydra minions into bombs. This doesn’t take their action, which is fair, because it’s not terribly threatening.

Nico just walks out of the blast zone while making an attack. The minion will knock himself out in the blast.

Nico is the game’s obligatory random character. Several of her cards have the Roulette keyword, which randomly selects one 3/4 variations of the base card when it is drawn. This is pretty tolerable by the standards of RNG mechanics. You know exactly what the card will do on play, and you can just use your redraws to get rid of the bad results.

Curse is a weak attack card that applies one several debuffs based on the roulette roll. This one marks this goon.

Hunter finishes the goon off, with a fair amount of overkill. This is often what happens with Mark mode curse, it just doesn’t do enough damage to be the difference in getting a KO, it’s mostly just a free point of heroism.

Doing so gives us access to a mission card. Certain enemies in carry blue mission cards that are added to your hand when they are defeated. These cards usually do not cost or provide any heroism. The actual value of these are pretty varied. Delay helicopter for instance, just steps back the mission timer one turn, which really shouldn’t be necessary. More useful is Weak point, an OK attack that when used on an objective causes it to take 50% more damage for the rest of the mission. I drop it on the helicopter with my last card play.

I then realize that all the enemies have been picking on Nico all mission, so I need to waste two heroism dropping a lamppost on a minion.

Turn 3 I drop a heal on Nico to get her back to full, which will give me the heroism to use Fists of Radiance on the Officer.

Folling that up with a knee strike let’s Captain Marvel enter her binary state... with a grand total of one enemy still on the field. Classic Captain Marvel.

To finish things off we use Nico’s starting heroic, Swarm. This is a one heroism attack just does variable amounts of damage to a single target, but on average, its damage is excellent for the cost.

That should keep them grounded. Now let’s get everything back to the Abbey for analysis.
Such arrogance. Our brave soldiers will never allow-
Oh shut up already. Take them down.

One annoyance with the game is it’s not explained if you’ll have to clear out the surviving enemies after completing the objective or not. The general rule is that if the objective has a time limit, completing the objective prevents you from losing but you’ll need to finish off the enemies afterwards If there’s no time limit, the mission will end when the objective is completed.

Last? There are more heads to the Hydra than you will ever comprehend heroes. This is a minor setback at most.
Well at least we won’t have to listen to you any longer today. I consider that alone a victory.

You could say that. I’ve been staring at the night sky trying to figure it out. You’re observant, Hunter. You tell me.
You are trying to figure out how to bring Wanda back.
Close, Hunter, but no.

Sinister?
When I was holding back the trans-dimensional door for you back there, I sensed something was there at the docks with you. Something dark and familiar.
What did you see, Illyana?
I did not see, I said I sensed something there. But that’s not the only thing I sensed today.
Oh?

All I know is that whatever is happening is also strangely familiar to me. And when all you knew was darkness and despair growing up, that warm fuzzy feeling of familiarity is not just a warning sign, but and alarm bell.
We should inform the others of any potential danger.

The Avengers are already unsure of us. I do not need to add to that. Best not say anything until I am better able to articulate it.
I’d like to be left to my thoughts now, Hunter.

After that awkward conversation, we have More Hangouts. Not everyone is available to hangout on hangout nights, so we’ve got a limited options.

Who do you want to hang out with
Carol (Captain Marvel)
Robbie (Ghost Rider)
Tony (Iron Man)
Doctor Strange (Doctor Strange)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Let's get to know Robbie better since we didn't take him along with us on the mission.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I can't post much about combat strategy and tactics as I never went above Heroic 2 difficulty for long in my playthroughs. Past that point you can't really afford to fool around with suboptimal play and builds based on things like shielding against hits, but IMX Heroic 2 is forgiving enough you can do what you want without raising your blood pressure in the process.

I will say that I appreciate how well they matched the dynamics of characters to their playstyle. Tony is a huge attention hog. Strange is probably the best support character in the game, with enough punch that he'll get to KO stuff occasionally. Nico has support but some good attacks, too. And so on. Hunter has more available cards and builds and can run however you want, though not using her as a damage dealer is going to make the game a lot harder since killing enemies is almost always better than healing or shielding.

Captain Marvel is a tough character because undoubtedly she has to trigger Binary to operate properly, but needing to play three cards at the start of every mission makes that just a little too difficult. I think it's a sign of how the game is balanced that she'd probably become too effective if she started missions in Binary and only had to recover it after losing all her shields, but that I'm unsure whether she'd be too good if she only had to play one card to trigger her initial Binary (and then three for subsequent plays), or if she'd still be a little too weak if she had to play two. If I were modding the game to improve her, I'd probably do that; she needs the shields to keep Binary up while taunting and she's built too much around taunting to function otherwise unless you modded all her cards.

Blade is on the attention-hog side of things, but really it's a reflection of the fact that he's used to fighting alone and not as part of a team. Once we see his cards that can take advantage of bleed, he's theoretically better as a team player when paired with someone else who can cause bleed, though that's actually rare enough to be a bit of a problem. The DLC maybe fixes that somewhat, but it's complicated.

I really like Nico, and unsurprisingly she pairs well with Magik. She's multi-function and she has a lot of flexibility, perhaps in part because she has fewer cards that just aren't worth taking. Her biggest problem is that, like Strange, you can find yourself reluctant to leave her on the bench for a while.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I rolled a d4 and got 4 so Doctor Strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for Captain Marvel. She's cool.