Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
This is a game that had a ton of potential but really dropped the ball in some areas. I still enjoyed it (though I used mods to reduce the grindiness) but here are what I see as the major issues:
  • The social and combat elements are not well-balanced. You are constantly doing missions that seem like they hinge on doing something quickly, but then you need to go through 2-3 rounds of social time, and often one more non-story mission, before you can continue the mission chain. I think they would have been a lot better served with having the social segments be rarer (every day is way too much), but let you do more activities per social period. That way you'd break up the combat with the hero interactions I did quite enjoy, but it wouldn't feel so much like you are forced to run around the Abbey for 15-20 minutes between every mission.
  • As alluded to above, there is a serious amount of grinding involved to get resources for card crafting and card modding. Thankfully this can be significantly reduced by mods.
  • Heroes are very poorly balanced. Some heroes like Iron Man and Doctor Strange are fantastic while others like Wolverine, Deadpool and Captain America are quite bad by comparison. If they had done a better balance pass amongst the heroes, I think that would significantly improve game enjoyment.
  • Other than the Hunter, most heroes have what I consider to be woefully few card options, with something like ~10 cards total, of which almost always at least 2-3 are directly outclasses by another card in their set or which try to do some directly contrary to the hero's kit. If each hero had something like 3 more commons, 2 more rares and 1 more epic, I think that would help a lot (as would making sure each card has some valid niche).
Unfortunately, the DLC was also a casualty of the game's overall lukewarm reception, as all four hero DLCs have identical sets of enemies, which makes them feel very samey. I think the same story could easily have been told in a single or at most two DLCs, with each of the others having a more unique spin.

It is a shame that Firaxis more or less immediately disavowed a future for this one, as I'd have loved to see a sequel that improved on these elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Blade is regrettably terrible because bleed only activates at the end of the turn (i.e. after the enemy gets their action) in Vanilla. If you use the mod that has all bleed effects activate at the start of turn for all characters, it really improves his kit and also makes enemies that inflict bleed more interesting.

Captain Marvel starts a bit rough and only becomes at best average later in my view. The primary issue is that a lot of her cards are Taunt or block based, but the best strategy is just to kill everything, making both Taunt and block sub-par. I would have loved to see them have a Taunt+ or something, that on application had the enemy attack the hero in question immediately, as that would be a significant boon toward making it useful.