Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Artix posted:

I enjoyed Tunic but I really dislike when games that are ostensibly [Genre] (Puzzle Platformer for Fez, Zelda/Dark Souls for Tunic, etc) decide "Actually, we're going to throw all that out and become a weird language puzzle instead. You want a true ending? gently caress you, time for something completely different and probably not at all what you liked about the first half of the game." Environmental Station Alpha is probably the biggest offender that I know of, but I'm sure there are others.

:siren: Part 5: Warriors Not Love Death :siren:

We leave behind the Devotees for the domain of the Warriors, where they tell us a blatant lie. Warriors *love* death, as long as they're the ones doing it.

Unless I wasn't paying attention, I thiiink you might have missed a whole scene, and that caused some confusion when you suddenly were asked to fill in go/stop.

After messing with the Rosetta stone, when you walked back into the first room with the warriors, there was one of those shiny things there indicating a completed interaction.
My guess (not having played this myself) is that the first time you come in, they talk to you (so you learn stop and go), and the next time they attack. But by completing the Rosetta stone first you skipped a progress flag and it just moved past that first scene entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Carbon dioxide posted:

Unless I wasn't paying attention, I thiiink you might have missed a whole scene, and that caused some confusion when you suddenly were asked to fill in go/stop.

After messing with the Rosetta stone, when you walked back into the first room with the warriors, there was one of those shiny things there indicating a completed interaction.
My guess (not having played this myself) is that the first time you come in, they talk to you (so you learn stop and go), and the next time they attack. But by completing the Rosetta stone first you skipped a progress flag and it just moved past that first scene entirely.

Wouldn't that shiny thing be the scene when the warriors are doing their marching outside when you first get there? Because that one happened.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

The shiny thing is to replay the scene of the troops marching in from the right, then entering the door, like LPFinale said. They absolutely attack if you go say hi on the first visit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: Warrior God? Carry weapon! :siren:

After a slightly obnoxious stealth sequence, we can finally move around with relative freedom. How long will it take us to do something stupid and die anyway?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Aaand this is why the "how do you do, fellow Warriors?" earlier got a chuckle out of me :)

That long stealth room is probably the most annoying one in the game*, mostly because of its length and the fact that it doesn't consider most of it "safe" for checkpointing purposes so you keep having to restart it (unlike a lot of more forgiving stealth sections). Still, at least you're past it. And yeah, suspicion will build up slowly if you stand right next to a Warrior in your disguise, and quickly if you block their movement.

* there are some later ones I find scarier because I'm a big baby, but that long room's probably the most annoying.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 12, 2024

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The sense of relief when FP realised it was big/small.

And congrats on making it through the stealth segment, hope you enjoy some actual talking and exploring again.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The sense of relief when FP realised it was big/small.

And congrats on making it through the stealth segment, hope you enjoy some actual talking and exploring again.
That scene with the crates was honestly the point I started to get a sense of the Warriors' language, since I kinda "flubbed" the Rosetta Stone lesson earlier. Plus it's just funny watching them engage in the mundane bureaucracy of "checklist says we need this many big boxes and this many little boxes, get to it".

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
What I found amusing my was that the PC crouched and hid behind a wall the entire time listening to this interaction… for the purpose of figuring out the words “big” and “small”.

Stealth action translating!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: Plural impure not build music :siren:

The only thing scarier than having to learn five languages is having to translate between them.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's probably a little early to say a lot but I'm amused at how you missed the context of those guards so thoroughly. Though you also ended up going the same way I did first, which I don't think the game expects.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The translation puzzles are cool and good, though I wish the language selection could be reordered alphabetically or something once you finish a language. Having it just be whatever order you found them in makes finding the right ones for a conversation tricky, as you saw.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't think the guy actually expects you to bring him a bottle, he's just making a joke to him comrade (which helps teach you another word). "The warriors wait for (something) chosen, but (me?) waiting for a bottle."

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The translation puzzles are cool and good, though I wish the language selection could be reordered alphabetically or something once you finish a language. Having it just be whatever order you found them in makes finding the right ones for a conversation tricky, as you saw.

Maybe just the ability to drag and drop glyphs into whatever order you like, whether that's alphabetically, by type of word (verb, person, etc), or whatever. Really if that were in the game there wouldn't be much more I'd want to add.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: Bellman loves bottle :siren:

We wrap up the Warriors by meeting with an extremely relatable fellow.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The chosen await the call.
The impures await death.
The bellman awaits the bottle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can go back and complete that devotee/warrior translation conversation now I think.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
There are definitely times where the pictures in the book are really not clear on what it wants. Oh, and in another silly little achievement from this video: After performing the call of the chosen ones, everybody leaves and you can no longer get caught. So you get an achievement for going back to the armoury and assembling an incorrect disguise any time after that point.

Good luck with this next section. :shepface: Let's see how quickly you all grasp a certain fact, because I had difficulties with the very first piece of text.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Lone Badger posted:

You can go back and complete that devotee/warrior translation conversation now I think.
Yeah, when you next find a warp point it's a good idea to go back and sort that.

Now we've got a complete translation of Warrior, a couple of points of interest:

- It does feel notable that the Warriors are into astronomy. I suppose it makes sense: they travel by sea, the stars are a great tool for navigation. Still, nice to see they've figured out that the Earth goes around the Sun. They're clearly not just meatheads. I did think this might play into the eventual Warrior - Alchemist conversation, but that one is about a rather more direct problem the Alchemists face.

- The Warriors have no words for "you" and "I/me", which I think was a bit of a stumbling block for you at times. Which gives a sense that they operate as a collective to a large degree: some of them give orders and some of them take them, but I almost feel like that's because someone's gotta carry the clipboard and someone's gotta pick up the big crate. Maybe they take it in turns.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm starting to get the sense that given how one of this game's main themes is miscommunication with the tower of Babel motif, I think that the Devotees are the Chosen Ones the Warriors are waiting for and thanks to the language barrier and incomplete information, they've convinced themselves that the Devotees are actually the Impure instead. It will be interesting to see going forward if they game starts to pivot from not just bridging the gaps between the languages, but bridging the gaps between the people as well like the fast travel minigame(s) suggest.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Chants of Sennaar is currently 25% off on Steam.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 9: Idiot Warrior Plural Be :siren:

The gardens are, at a glance, a much nicer place than the fortress. But look a little closer and you find something just as bad, maybe even worse: An artist commune.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
These guys are objectively the worst race in the game. You barely understand them, but you already know that they are massive pricks and it only gets worse the more you learn about their society.

But I am really impressed with your ability to solve languages. You figured some of that stuff out way before having the relevant clues.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bard language took me forever to get a good grip on because I had plural and pass the wrong way around and somehow never tried to exchange those until I solved half the language. Probably shouldn't have been playing way late at night.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

cant cook creole bream posted:

These guys are objectively the worst race in the game. You barely understand them, but you already know that they are massive pricks and it only gets worse the more you learn about their society.

But I am really impressed with your ability to solve languages. You figured some of that stuff out way before having the relevant clues.
Yeah, the Warriors grew increasingly likeable the more I learnt about them, but the Bards are very much the opposite of that. But at least their language is interesting. That crazy object-subject-verb structure, and they also have a fair few more symbols (you can see how many by counting up all the blank symbols on the notebook screen, they have 42) than the Devotees (34) or the Warriors (36). The Alchemists also have 42 symbols, but ten of theirs are the digits 0-9, so it's probably fair to say the Bards have the most complex language.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least they aren't arrogant enough to consider themselves "chosen ones". The warriors see them as such but to them they're just bards.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I'm going to enjoy seeing your reactions to the decadence on top, and the slave caste running the machinery literally underfoot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So the Warriors like music, they think the Bards are the Chosen Ones because they play music, they think the Devotees are the Impure because they think they don't like music, but now they've changed their tune now that they've learned the Devotees also like and play music. Meanwhile the Bards think the Warriors are idiots because they think they don't like music which is patently false. It'll be interesting to see how the Bards react to learning the Warriors like music.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
I will literally never tire of folks doing their first translation, realizing they're actually bringing people together, and reacting with at least a little bit of glee. It brings me joy every single time.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
"Aw they talk like Yoda, goddamn it." My thoughts exactly, Artix. And the 'oh this is bad' was also my reaction, because I did not pick up anything from this language for several screens. :shepface:

And yes, there's an achievement every time you bother to go and see what's changed after a translation. (Some devotees are also hanging around in parts of the warrior area now, admiring statues.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yapping Eevee posted:

And yes, there's an achievement every time you bother to go and see what's changed after a translation. (Some devotees are also hanging around in parts of the warrior area now, admiring statues.)
If you go back to the telescope, you can see that one of them's taking a look through it!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
ah yes, love dealing with narcissistic hedonists.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 10: Question Compass You Seek Question? :siren:

Not content to simply keep a slave caste in the sewers, we're now being asked to navigate said sewers for a shiny. Truly, the bard's realm is cursed.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Re: monkeys, all the fruit for them are in those first few screens, before you even go underground. Artix almost moused over one in this video.

And yes, the sewers suck. There's a Steam Guide that's just a crappy MS Paint map of them, because of course there is.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah, I think this is the first time that forgetting or at least not using the middle mouse tech from the tutorial has really bitten you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Impressive as it is that you've figured out most of the monkey text without seeing the images that go with it, I hope the monkeys aren't going to go hungry :ohdear:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 27, 2024

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The monkeys will be fed, if for no other reason than they lock a page of glyphs for the bards. It's pretty trivial to figure out what those glyphs mean, but they're not confirmed drat it!

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 27, 2024

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
The boats are not powered by the serfs, but the fans definitely are. There's something you can do later which shows it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I find it really odd that the Universal Translator (or whatever it is that switches in once you decode all the words) is rendering the bard language with unusual grammar. This seems to imply that either a) the Translator is 'imperfect'; b) the Translator is racist; c) the bards themselves are speaking with stilted grammar, possibly a dialect or in indication that this is not their native language, and the Translator is doing its best to convey that. There isn't really an in-game explanation for the Translator that we've seen, so the first two possibilities would seemingly reflect the game designers' choices rather than any character's. The third seems interesting, especially if we find another group speaking the same language with a different syntax.

It was seemingly disproven by the handshake tablet, but I was also half-expecting that the bard script would be RTL, since VSO would be more likely than the rare OSV it seems to have. Although that might also be explained if the bards are being 'poetic' in their speech.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think they render it that way so the words in the translation continue to be in the same order as the words in the written phrase, so it doesn't switch-around when you get the full translation and confuse people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
All three of the languages we've seen have different grammar/sentence structure/etc from English, the Bard language just feels the weirdest in translation.