Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I think they render it that way so the words in the translation continue to be in the same order as the words in the written phrase, so it doesn't switch-around when you get the full translation and confuse people.

Yeah, I think it's probably mostly this. Especially since the Japanese localization does not retain the OSV syntax in full translation and while nobody has an easy time translating into Bard, I feel like the Japanese LPers I've watched have had a harder time than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

malkav11 posted:

All three of the languages we've seen have different grammar/sentence structure/etc from English, the Bard language just feels the weirdest in translation.
That's because art isn't for plebians. Only real artists understand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

That's because art isn't for plebians. Only real artists understand.

Find me a group of people who misinterpreted "Art for art's sake" any worse than these douchebags did.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 11: Wine Plural Me Plural Be :siren:

Today we meet the only good bards on this whole drat floor. The Wine Brothers aren't smart, but they are having a great time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, you want to leave this perfect floor where you get to sing and act all day? What the gently caress is wrong with you you goddamn sheeple. You rube. You slave.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It took me a few tries to get through the windmill obstacle course. I'm glad there's no fancy "game over" screen for those times you can get yourself killed, you just restart the screen right away.

Also the Bards are assholes.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm guessing the condition to lock in the last three glyphs is locked behind the monkeys?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Correct. We could actually leave right now, the only conditions for going to the next floor are seeing the play and having both the torch and the compass.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It might even work without the play, if you've seen it before, or are into brute forcing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 12: Men, We Are Not :siren:

We're happy to leave the bards behind in this video, but the sneak peek at the upcoming floor is awful in a different way.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Devo, We Are!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hadn't noticed the Bards moping around, wondering where the drinks are and how tools are supposed to work, after the Serfs hosed off to the Abbey.

And screw 'em, the Bards are assholes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress you Bardimore

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

IMJack posted:

I hadn't noticed the Bards moping around, wondering where the drinks are and how tools are supposed to work, after the Serfs hosed off to the Abbey.

And screw 'em, the Bards are assholes.

They're also standing around staring in confusion at the "automatic" fans and similar conveniences that have stopped working.

The fruit gathering seems to really burn anyone who forgets the "highlight interactables" key. The game does generally avoid nonobvious interactable objects, it's not a pixel hunt, but that fruit should probably wave slightly in the wind or something.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yeah, I'm real glad I was playing with the interactable highlight toggled on at all times.

And now it's time for science~ :science:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress you Bardimore

IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A NEW SERF THIS WEEKEND, YOU'RE A BIG ENOUGH SCHMUCK TO COME TO BIG BARD HELL'S

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Thoughts on the previous episode, since I didn't comment on it at the time: haha yeah my initial reaction to the brothers was to think that the word for "brother" was "drunk", too. But at least they're having a good time. I did nearly brute force the Lost Woods section in the darkness at one point, I managed to get about four symbols in to it at one point. Probably for the best that I didn't follow through on that!

Thoughts on this episode: oh wow I don't think I went to that room where the serfs were planning an uprising (to be fair, can you blame me for not thoroughly investigating everywhere in the sewers?). I also didn't see any of the Bards' reactions to not having a slave caste any more! Although I did see that one Serf chilling with the beggar outside of the church - if you look closely at the begging bowl, you can see it's now full of the same kind of fruit that you gave to the monkeys.

I'm a scaredy-cat, so the bit with the monster freaked me out - it is at least a more straightforward stealth section than the Warriors had, though. To make matters worse, the first time I encountered the monster, the alarm went off on my new phone for the first time, and it wasn't an alarm I was familiar with. So it was a case of "all right, I get that they want to make it scary, but did they really have to add the creepy music box music?... wait, where's that coming from anyway? is it directional, do I have to search for it...? oh". Sometimes I'm very silly :v:.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Clearly what needs to be done is to convince the Bards to move one level up the tower. That'll solve a whole slew of problems in short order, I'd imagine.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO BUY A NEW SERF THIS WEEKEND, YOU'RE A BIG ENOUGH SCHMUCK TO COME TO BIG BARD HELL'S

At Big Bard's, a deal, you find, you believe? My rear end, you kiss!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Minor fridge logic: how did the serfs get to the abbey? The warriors are in the way.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Minor fridge logic: how did the serfs get to the abbey? The warriors are in the way.

I think they missed this in the LP since they went directly from the bells to the exit of the Fortress. After they rang the bells, they saw dozens of Warriors running further into the Fortress. If they had gone back one screen to the walkway that overlooks the amphitheater, they would have seen the entire population of the Fortress waiting for the Chosen Ones to arrive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 13: Me Plural Seek Transform :siren:

After dealing with the Bards for far too long, let's see if we can do better on floor 4.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fun fact, the way that the Alchemists' number system handles place notation is very similar to Cistercian numerals, the number system used by the Cistercian order of monks. Good job on figuring it out so quickly (after an initial understandable hump with that first control panel), and for correctly intuiting that there's no real puzzle to the calculator, it's just a way to teach you 0, 6, 7, 8 and 9 and how place notation works that's presented in an organic way through a tool the Alchemists might actually use.

Overall I would say that language-wise the Alchemists are a bit of a step down from the Bards - we're back to good ol' SVO and although they have 42 symbols like the Bards, ten of them are just the digits 0-9 - but the complexity of the puzzles does ramp up a bit. At least they know how to design a map, though (something the Bards' sewers could stand to take a hint from)!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2024

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I spent way too long on this floor because I couldn't figure out I had to click and drag those calculator buttons.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I never figured out how to turn the "dials" on the calculator. Thank goodness there are enough other places to get and figure out the numbers elsewhere in the level.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei posted:

Devo, We Are!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 14: Diner Closed :siren:

Look, is their word for "a place to eat" actually "diner"? Almost certainly not. But it should be.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Since you've forgetten that the middle mouse button highlights interactable locations, there were multiple interactable display cases in the library you missed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
loving Alchemist Denny's

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

loving Alchemist Denny's

still better than Waffle Atelier

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nine-gear crow posted:

loving Alchemist Denny's

I'm pretty sure it's just an Alchemac Donalds.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nweismuller posted:

Since you've forgetten that the middle mouse button highlights interactable locations, there were multiple interactable display cases in the library you missed.

We finished recording the game like two weeks ago. :ssh: As with the bards, we're gonna circle back around for anything we missed at the end of that particular section.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I am embarrassed at how long it took me to figure out the diner. I had everything else on the floor solved and translated except what's in there. It never occurred to me to look at the clock except to note that it had no new words on, and I ignored it after that until it finally clicked.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Between the queue for the "diner" and the guy who has seven barrels and needs nine, there's definitely something very relatable about the Alchemists.

Or maybe that's just because they're nerds :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 10, 2024

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 15: Refectory is open! :siren:

Is "refectory" better or worse than "diner"? We'll let the audience decide.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Artix posted:

Anything would be better than "refectory". The abbey probably has a refectory.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

refectory??? drat near killed ory

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

It's exactly what a bunch of shut-in nerds would call a diner. Also good job inviting the Bards up to Science Town, they're gonna ruin everything on multiple levels of the tower now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Could be worse, could be "buttery".

Anyway, even if you haven't figured out exactly what all the words mean, I think you've figured out all the information you need to solve the area's big puzzle!

I think the devs calling the Alchemists the Alchemists rather than just Scientists may have been a mistake, since it got you thinking about the four classical elements rather than nope, actual modern periodic table elements - Gold, Silver, Copper and Carbon.

Side note: it's not quite as extreme as the Warriors straight-up not having symbols for "me" and "you", but it's interesting that you only find the Alchemist symbol for "not" from a Rosetta Stone tablet, because it's needed for translation - none of the Alchemists use it in their daily lives. A very can-do attitude, maybe?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 13, 2024