Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big whiteboard says the three elements plus fire make transformation. So presumably you need to mix them in the right quantities then heat?

I wonder what will happen to you if you make the Cursed Formula and if you're supposed to figure out how to fix it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I will say I like the Alchemists and the Devotees. Both seem pretty friendly and reasonable types overall. Unlike the Warriors or (ugh) the Bards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I will say I like the Alchemists and the Devotees. Both seem pretty friendly and reasonable types overall. Unlike the Warriors or (ugh) the Bards.

The warriors have their charms and are chill once you translate between the languages and help them connect with the other castes. There is no redeeming the bards, feed them all to the Beast.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Interesting detail about the Alchemist language, BTW- 'laboratory' is 'place to seek' and 'library' is 'place to find'. Of course, by implication, knowledge being what is sought or found- either looking for new knowledge or looking up what's already known.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I watched the first two videos, and so now I'm going to have to buy this game and play it myself....which means I won't be able to watch the rest for now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nweismuller posted:

Interesting detail about the Alchemist language, BTW- 'laboratory' is 'place to seek' and 'library' is 'place to find'. Of course, by implication, knowledge being what is sought or found- either looking for new knowledge or looking up what's already known.

The glyph for "alchemist" is also the glyph for "me" with the people modifier.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 16: Scientist Plural Want Help Impure :siren:

Friends, we've come a long way and solved many problems on our way up this tower. But I think we can all agree that this one was the most important one of all. Crop Crop is no longer die.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Crop crop no longer die! :toot:

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Artix posted:

Crop Crop is no longer die.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

:3:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Crop crop live!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Me Love Crop Crop Not Die!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 17, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This would be a hell of a gangtag.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so glad Crop Crop Not Die anymore.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

:hmmyes:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The change for Alchemist-Warrior is actually in Lab 1, where the monster is under guard by warriors while alchemists are studying a cure.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are the Alchemists the only culture in the tower that aren't into music? The Devotees and the Bards both make it, the Warriors practically worship it, and the mural of the fairies creating the door implies they use it as a tool. But the Alchemists seem to have no opinion on it at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alchemists only listen to music on wax cylinders, for that warm soundfeel

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The person inwardly screaming at you for repeatedly missing the display cases was me. But hey, at least crop crop not die.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

The Lone Badger posted:

Are the Alchemists the only culture in the tower that aren't into music? The Devotees and the Bards both make it, the Warriors practically worship it, and the mural of the fairies creating the door implies they use it as a tool. But the Alchemists seem to have no opinion on it at all.

They don't even have words for music or instrument, at least not that we learn. You probably shouldn't read too much into it, though. The language vocabularies in Chants are heavily driven by the puzzles in the area, so for the Alchemists you end up with a lot of dictionary space taken by numbers and elements.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

nweismuller posted:

The person inwardly screaming at you for repeatedly missing the display cases was me. But hey, at least crop crop not die.

Same here. He just waved the mouse around to fast to actually see anything. Shame his "see things" button is busted.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It seems a bit jarring to have what appears to be largely a pre-industrial society on the levels below the Alchemists (with the exception of the observatory) and then hit the alchemists' tier and it's suddenly an OSHA filled industrial zone.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

kw0134 posted:

It seems a bit jarring to have what appears to be largely a pre-industrial society on the levels below the Alchemists (with the exception of the observatory) and then hit the alchemists' tier and it's suddenly an OSHA filled industrial zone.

The conceit of the game is that the levels of the towers have been cut off from each other for [period_of_time] until you come along with your magical powers of translation. I'd say the harsh differentiation is part of selling that narrative.

Besides, the increase in technological sophistication as you ascend is pretty consistent and steady. The Devotees live in (relatively) simple houses and grow crops, then the Warriors live in a giant fortress powered by wheels and winches and simple machines, then the Bards have intricate, artisan-made machinery powered by clockworks, windmills and waterwheels, then the Alchemists have mines, chemical laboratories and automated, industrial machinery.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Xerophyte posted:

The conceit of the game is that the levels of the towers have been cut off from each other for [period_of_time] until you come along with your magical powers of translation. I'd say the harsh differentiation is part of selling that narrative.

Besides, the increase in technological sophistication as you ascend is pretty consistent and steady. The Devotees live in (relatively) simple houses and grow crops, then the Warriors live in a giant fortress powered by wheels and winches and simple machines, then the Bards have intricate, artisan-made machinery powered by clockworks, windmills and waterwheels, then the Alchemists have mines, chemical laboratories and automated, industrial machinery.

You misspelled "slave labor".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Slave labor is a form of waterwheels.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Echoing that this was great and would be an equally great gangtag.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I feel that the first three levels are all within the sort of technological level you'd find in a Biblical setting (even the clockwork would be predating the New Testament, the Antikythera mechanism being dated variously between 100-200 BCE) and then you get this massive jump in technology. It already does a very good job with differentiating the levels with simple use of lighting and clothing, the devotees and the bards levels being brightly sunlit and filled with water (or piss in the case of the bards), the warriors having an oppressive darkness with long shadows and monumental architecture and art, the alchemists get a cozy late afternoon space with implied electrical lighting. I think it would have fit the progression better if there was not as huge a leap from fans being secretly driven by slave labor in your Greco-Roman self-indulgent level and then a scene that could be like something out of Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. Even the alchemist architecture feels very Art Deco, Jazz Era New York.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

only ancient aliens could have built, and named, this refectory

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

only ancient aliens could have built, and named, this refectory

None of these languages have a "but" glyph of syntax, so unfortunately "I'm not saying it's aliens... but it's aliens" is not a valid statement.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

None of these languages have a "but" glyph of syntax, so unfortunately "I'm not saying it's aliens... but it's aliens" is not a valid statement.

Sounds like a job for one of the unused Warrior glyphs.

It makes sense, they got the telescope to look for them and everything!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think the concept of "but" would be hard to make a picture off. Unless you add a t off course.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think the concept of "but" would be hard to make a picture off. Unless you add a t off course.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I was thinking of the pictures in the notebook to identify the word, but that works too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was thinking of the pictures in the notebook to identify the word, but that works too.

just a picture of the aliens guy with [but] and [alien] glyph slots

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 17: We are the people of Exile :siren:

We've finally reached the top of the tower, where we meet a people capable of putting even the bards to shame. Welcome to the floor of the GAMERS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God this game turned into Rime real fast.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So you're saying gamers are worse than slave owners. I hestitantly agree.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God only knows how many Anchorites broke their necks on those lovely stairs before they invented hover seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It is a bit odd that the Anchorites' language is handed to you so quickly, though it does fit in with their technologically advanced society that they would have universal translators and yeah, unlike the other peoples, there's very few people to talk to since they're all a bunch of shut-ins and there's like one guy left who's trying to fix things. Really the language complexity peaks with the Bards - by this point in the game, it's part victory lap and part setting you up to go after the much-hinted-at Good Ending.

And yeah, re said Good Ending, it's interesting that the Steam achievement for getting it is slightly more commonly achieved than getting the Bad Ending (this is perhaps even more impressive considering that a patch made it so you get the Bad Ending chievo as part of getting the Good Ending, because people who care about getting 100% achievements complained about having to do multiple run-throughs). I wouldn't say getting it is trivial exactly, but it's also pretty easy to intuit what you have to do, and if you've reached this point in the game you pretty clearly have the means, opportunity and motive to truly fix things.