Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The real game was the friends we made along the way.

Except for real this time, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Felt to me like they either couldn't figure out good puzzles to teach you the gamer language's compound words other than the little bit we got, or they ran out of time/money to make it more interesting than spinning three terminals worth of Rosetta stone.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Here's the thing: you were created by the leader of the Anchorites explicitly to do what you're doing. So of course you get run through their language quickly and with instructional devices - they're literally for you, to teach you the language.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In case anyone is curious about the word, an Anchorite is an extreme type of hermit most common in the Christian monastic communities of the Middle Ages. They would literally be walled in to a room that they could never leave and interact with the outside world only through a small window, dedicating their lives to prayer and contemplation.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In case anyone is curious about the word, an Anchorite is an extreme type of hermit most common in the Christian monastic communities of the Middle Ages. They would literally be walled in to a room that they could never leave and interact with the outside world only through a small window, dedicating their lives to prayer and contemplation.
Thanks for this! It was one of those things where I thought the word was curious (especially considering every other caste has a reasonably straightforward name) but hadn't considered looking it up.

It's a little odd because the only time the word is mentioned in-game is when you complete the decipherment of their language, although their name does also show up on their Steam trading card (so I knew in advance what they were going to look like and what they were called :sweatdrop: )

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

malkav11 posted:

Here's the thing: you were created by the leader of the Anchorites explicitly to do what you're doing. So of course you get run through their language quickly and with instructional devices - they're literally for you, to teach you the language.

Seems to me like the terminals were made to teach the peoples of the tower to all speak each other's languages, not just for you. No wonder the Anchorites decided to cut themselves off, they built their entire civilisation around making sure everyone could live in harmony and it all went to poo poo anyway :smith:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

RabidWeasel posted:

Seems to me like the terminals were made to teach the peoples of the tower to all speak each other's languages, not just for you. No wonder the Anchorites decided to cut themselves off, they built their entire civilisation around making sure everyone could live in harmony and it all went to poo poo anyway :smith:
The thing is that without learning another language you have no other referrant to align the glyphs to give the translations. If any of the other inhabitants came across the terminal it'd be meaningless to them; they can recognize their own language but can't make sense of the majority of the glyphs on the screen. This is likely a game play conceit more than anything but as it stands it's not a very helpful Rosetta stone unless you happen to be a polyglot already.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 18: Are you afraid to die? :siren:

At the end of the game, we finally have an honest-to-god villain in Exile. Is this an improvement? I...guess?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Well, that's an ending. Or not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:siren: they remembered the highlight function :siren:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

for like a minute

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
You did a completely different order of the tower levels than I did, but I think you got the same progression of sneaking rooms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Congratulations on beating the game! Pretty underwhelming ending though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I like this end.
After all, what is there to do at the top of a tower? Sit around, look at the clouds for a bit. All the people who are now talking to each other are inside, not up here.

Hwurmp posted:

:siren: they remembered the highlight function :siren:

Does holding tab even do it? I always held scroll wheel down for it.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Malachite Dragon pointed out to me that the game that the Anchorites are having to play in Exile is the developer's other game on Steam, Varion.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 19: God, duty, beauty, transformation, exile :siren:

Turns out, everyone was searching for the same thing the whole time. It's a poignant way to end the game if nothing else.

Anyway, that's Chants of Sennaar! I liked it a lot, although with some time to think on it since we finished recording the game, it's got some fairly large missed opportunities. The big one for me is that it's weird that there's no real changes in language once you learn their glyphs; for a game that is otherwise about helping people communicate and overcoming boundaries, it's really weird that the Warriors are still using the same word for both the literal monster that lives in the mines on the fourth floor...and also the entire caste of people who live beneath them. Like, surely you could have had a "secret" word unlock after you connect two peoples where they either learn a word from the other's language, or update of their existing ones to match their new understanding.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

presumably the Devotees count as Chosen Ones now, since they do music

the Warriors will still need a new word for "Chosen Ones Who Don't Practice Slavery"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 26, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
At last, now that the game is finished we can finally reveal the identity of the man under the hood:

do not blame me, this was requested by both Artix and FP like a month ago

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

At last, now that the game is finished we can finally reveal the identity of the man under the hood:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

nine-gear crow posted:

Seems legit to me.

The ending was nice, as it's not triumphant, but definitely positive. Communication For The Win!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

What can't he do? :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

What can't he do? :allears:

The game DOES end in a very Dash way of just brute forcing a language puzzle solution and then punching a computer off :hmmyes:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thank you all for showing off this great game, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I do honestly hope that there's some DLC for this game, or a sequel. Or something in the same vein. I liked it!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It was super fun to commentate on this and I really enjoyed the experience!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Chants of Sennaar is an excellent little experience, charming and nifty and clever. Between this and the Case of the Golden Idol, craving more of this logical deduction experience started me on the path to then playing Return of the Obra Dinn, which is also really cool if not quite the same thing.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slaan posted:

The real game was the friends we made along the way.

Except for real this time, apparently
I didn't want to say at the time, but the real god (or duty, beauty, transformation or exile*) was indeed the friends we made along the way.

Thanks for the LP, great LP for a great game!

* still feels a little weird that the symbol for Exile gets put in the same category as all the other "key" concepts, but I suppose after you see it the broken links in the symbol get "unbroken"?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Sennaar's a fun, satisfying little puzzle-adventure game. The first couple of videos in this thread intrigued me enough that I picked it up and powered through it in a weekend. Thanks for the LP, good work on this.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Mark me down as another one who saw you play through the demo, then picked up the game and binged it. Was really interesting, and fun to notice new detail I'd missed through your discussions.

I'm also curious, since listening to you all deciphering the language was one of the best parts, wondering if you've encountered the game Heaven's Vault? As it's another one where deciphering language is the main point of the game.

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 27, 2024

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
That was a very fun thing to watch you go through. I really enjoyed Chants, and seeing some other people go through it was a treat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tindalos posted:

I'm also curious, since listening to you all deciphering the language was one of the best parts, wondering if you've encountered the game Heaven's Gate? As it's another one where deciphering language is the main point of the game.

Heaven's Vault

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

There was a fair bit of discussion of Heaven's Vault early on in the thread. I do love it, but I think my personal conclusion is that Chants of Sennaar is the better game, but Heaven's Vault is the better language-deciphering experience. Actually it was interesting to read a few "making of" articles for CoS and learn that the one of the devs played Heaven's Vault, didn't like it, and decided that he could do better.

But I suppose now we've seen pretty much the entirety of CoS, it's fairly easy to conclude that it's a short-but-sweet, one-and-done kind of game (which is great, don't get me wrong!). Aside from one or two little achievements and seeing all the conclusions of the different castes linking up with each other, we've pretty much seen all there is to see - and that's for the good ending. Heaven's Vault meanwhile is very much built around being a visual novel with multiple endings, and importantly the idea of a New Game Plus where you keep all your confirmed words but the sentences get more complex. But yes, the non-translation gameplay is nowhere near as strong and certainly isn't as well-linked-in with the translation gameplay as CoS's is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I also bought and played Chants of Sennaar after the third(?) video in this thread, so chalk up another note of thanks because I really enjoyed the game.

I tried Heaven's Vault as well but I agree with the emerging consensus that while the translation mechanic is interesting, the setting is great, and the mystery is a hell of a hook, I don't actually like playing the game all that much due to its branching narrative structure. I know it's designed for multiple playthroughs but it's still super frustrating to realize that I just got closed off from a route or piece of information that would have been great to know, plus the conversation system gives almost no indication what the tone or content of the thing the PC will say. It's just "ask a question" or "make a statement" or "reply" and more than once at the start I got pissed off that "reply" led to a thing I didn't want to say and pissed off the person I was talking to.

Maybe I'm too used to Bioware-style conversation wheels, but if you want to encourage multiple playthroughs, make the points where the paths branch out more clearly obvious because I might as well have just been flipping a dang coin to determine my responses.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Heaven's Vault

Oh whoops, you're right completely, my mistake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for this LP it was only like the third or fourth one I watched through. Really a great game. The music at the end was really pleasant too.

Hwurmp posted:

Heaven's Vault

That name is just so great!