Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

https://www.gentoo.org/news/2023/12/29/Gentoo-binary.html

Gentoo Linux posted:

You probably all know Gentoo Linux as your favourite source-based distribution. Did you know that our package manager, Portage, already for years also has support for binary packages, and that source- and binary-based package installations can be freely mixed?

To speed up working with slow hardware and for overall convenience, we’re now also offering binary packages for download and direct installation! For most architectures, this is limited to the core system and weekly updates - not so for amd64 and arm64 however. There we’ve got a stunning >20 GByte of packages on our mirrors, from LibreOffice to KDE Plasma and from Gnome to Docker. Gentoo stable, updated daily. Enjoy!

Earth-shattering news from the world of Linux! But I think I'm going to keep compiling my own packages. How about you?

PS, important note:

quote:

My download is slow.

Then pretty please use a local mirror instead of downloading from University of Oregon. You can just edit the URI in your /etc/portage/binrepos.conf. And yes, that’s safe, because of the cryptographic signature.

Let's have a moment of appreciation for our friends at the OSU Open Source Laboratory, providing the default mirror because someone has to. I think my machine usually downloads updates from a server in Vienna for some reason, so German intelligence is probably keeping track of all my console-ricing packages and selling my profile back to the NSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

how i dwnload prn?

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-misc/curl

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Prettz posted:

Now it's easier than ever to have a lesser, inferior experience!

Twitter, Reddit... wow, now we're even picking up Phoronix refugees