Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

Feliday Melody posted:

Your videos gave me an interest in lets plays, and I've been looking up ones for games that I had no chance to play when I was young. And games that I own but can't find the energy to get through on my own. But finding your style of LPs can be very hard.

https://i.imgur.com/WbE61rQ.mp4

YouTube is a rough landscape for artists, I suspect.

The downside of having so many choices for entertainment is that it can be hard to find something tailored to your tastes specifically. I'm influenced by a very specific era of Let's Play content that was pretty common from around 2011-2012, comprehensive LPs by people who really know the game and want to share as much of it as possible. Stuff like ChipCheezum, SuperGreatFriend and that kind of crowd. (I'm aware ChipCheezum is still going pretty strong with that style but it was easier to find more people doing it at the time) Streaming has caused a bit of a paradigm shift for gaming content, so it's hard to find newer channels making that kind of content since it doesn't really do numbers anymore, but fortunately for those who like my videos this is just a passion hobby to me. I do always love it when people vibe with what I'm doing, a comment I got that really made my day once was someone complimenting the video since it reminded them of the kind of videos they haven't seen since 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

It's a very good mix of calm, reasonable videos with a lot of knowledge of the game that's very hard to find. I feel anyway. But it suits me very well. I do want trivia and little facts about the game and the items, etc.

I can't really enjoy loud and high paced videos, or people going in blind and struggling as much as I would.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Random trivia for today! Earlier in the thread discussion arose about why Buckman's group was in the dungeons to begin with, and I offhandedly mentioned they were in search of the acting Captain of the dungeons, Rudimer, who is also the Crow Mauler. The bulk of information about Rudimer and his slow descent into madness is discovered through his diaries, but to fully confirm his fate you must defeat the Double Headed Crow Mauler. When searched, the Double Headed Crow Mauler carries the Crow Emblem Key much like his singled headed version, but also contains the third and final Captain's Diary. It reads as follows,

"Captain Rudimer - 5th of August, 1590 -

I've had feverish dreams for the longest time now. In the dreams - the patterns on the walls, the caws of the crows, the swirling clouds. They haunt even my waking hours.

I haven't had a moment of tranquility in months. It almost feels like the dreams become wilder, as the madness in these dungeons grows ever more stronger. I don't know which is the result of which. Did the dreams come before the madness, or are the dreams results of the ever ensuing chaos?

Everything I see, seems to remind me of the dreams' otherwordly patterns. I swear the intestines of a gutted prisoner from yesterday took the very same shape...

But when I try to describe its organic, evershaping pattern to scholars, or draw it down on this very paper - I fail to do so.

Like a bonfire, with flames reaching out to a night sky - so is its shape without a concrete form. These shapes are dangerous without a doubt. Effects like these are far too much for mere humans to comphrehend. I'm the epitome of their obsession, so I know it better than any.

I know it better than any. Maybe I am the only sane one left to acknowledge this? Is it my responsibility to clean everything up once again?

The crows - They give their testament to my suspicions. I will start the purge. I will root out the madness. Only I can do it."

Naturally, I don't think you need to have too advanced a reading comprehension level to figure out the implication here. Interestingly, this also implies that the Double Headed Crow Mauler is also the same as the standard Mauler encountered in the dungeons, indicating he can resurrect and mutate further should he be defeated. O'ssa's backstory in Termina also implies this kind of resilience of the Crow Mauler as he makes an appearance despite being over 300 years old at that point. Incidentally, there's also a 4th diary within the game files that is unobtainable within the game itself. This diary reads as follows,

"Captain Rudimer - 5th of the nineth moon of 1490 -

The tree haunts my waking hours, it haunts my feverish dreams - I haven't had a moment of tranquility in months.

Everything I see, seems to remind me of it's otherwordly patterns.

I swear the intestines of a gutted prisoner from yesterday took the very same shape...

But when I try to describe it's organic, evershaping pattern to scholars, or draw it down on this very paper - I fail to do so.

Like a bonfire, with flames reaching out to a night sky - so is it's shape without a concrete form.

The tree is dangerous without a doubt. Effects like this is far too too much for mere humans to comphrehend. I'm the epitome of obsession, so I know it better than any.

That is why I isolated the tree to inner courtyard with no doorways leading to it's embrace. I had walls built around it.

Still through the walls, I can hear it's lure. It won't let me go..."

Very similar to the third diary, though this one swaps out references to crows with references to the twisted tree connecting to the thicket. I'm guessing this was the first draft of the third diary that got re-written when the implication connecting Rudimer to Crow Mauler just didn't come across strong enough. This diary seems to more be alluding to Rudimer succumbing to the influence of the God of The Depths, and I guess you're supposed to draw the line to Crow Mauler from that. Note that I copied this directly from Tormentpedia, and due to the lack of [sic] tags I am unsure if the various typos are found in the diary itself or if whoever transcribed this didn't do a second pass of what they wrote. Notably the date is 100 years off from when the game actually takes place.

One final tidbit, Rudimer is the brother of Ser Seril, which is likely another contributing factor for the attempted rescue mission. Tragic that it was a waste of time, sanity and possibly life for all involved.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Huh, that's messed up. I thought corvids believe in eye for an eye, not... wait no that makes sense now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh hey, I caught up to the funger LP.

This game is fascinating, and also extremely not for me. Orange clearly knows what he's doing. The man wrote his university thesis on effective horror in videogames using sensitive subject matter, and his practical example was the F&H demo. This game uses "bad game design" (RNG, unpredictable gotchas, intentional softlocks, very hosed up events) to make you profoundly uncomfortable and that is legitimately brilliant, even if it means that I'm stuck experiencing it through video essays or a LP like this one.

Looks like I am just in time for the end. I already knew most of the endings and a lot of the big mechanics, events or strategies for getting through the game but I never saw the process of getting there and the small things involved, including events that aren't talked about much like the Torturer and Buckman's quests that I had zero knowledge of. I feel like I learned enough that I could probably play it and beat it on my own now, but I'm still apprehensive of the whole... Everything it has going on.

It was brought up a few pages ago but I too gel with this format so much better than I do with the blind streams, so I'm very glad for the old school informative style LP. Cheers.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I could never in my life play this game. But watching an LP of it is fantastic.

I found out that I had actually tried this game once. A few years ago. I was killed by dogs, restarted and was killed by dogs, and then I went to the next game on my steam to-do list.

I'm a little impressed by the RNG system. It's random.... But random within a frame that is still relatively forgiving.

It's like.... If you need a minimum of 100 "points" worth of items to beat the game. Then the game will offer you 100 rolls at 50/50 chance to earn ten points each. Scaling up and down depending on difficulty.

So, even with bad luck. The probability to beat the game at all. Will never be zero. The difficulty can go up and down. Skill and experience will weigh in a lot. But you are never doomed from the start.

I don't know if you can be 100% doomed from the start on the hardest difficulties. I know torches are tricky, but certainly there are more and less optimal torch routes? You might not always be able to beat the game with your preferred ending. But certainly "an" ending.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Ending E can absolutely be obtained with a 100% success rate, so there’s that at least. While I do dislike the torch mechanics, I have yet to be completely screwed by it. (Though I’ve definitely cut it close) On the whole, I’d say there’s enough guaranteed loot that makes the game more than beatable and once you know what you are doing, you can have a general plan for every run that can be adjusted by the unexpected good things rather than adjusting for bad RNG. I think it’s notable that any problems I had in the past few runs came down execution errors or misplays, and I’d had perfectly cleans clears of the game if not for those.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

How good would a skeleton be with a War Scythe? On the one hand, I know it has an accuracy penalty so it's less likely to hit anything at all, but it does at least mitigate one of the skeleton's problems of "does not hit the thing I want it to hit." Can't hit the wrong target when you're hitting every target, after all!

I'm already figuring that "it's RNG that shows up late, so not very good," but it's a thought, you know? :v:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The more pressing problem is it’s a two handed weapon, so skeletons can’t use it unfortunately.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh, I didn't know skeletons had a "no two handers" restriction. So much for that idea!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yeah, Skeletons can’t use any two hander except for the Bone Shears which has its own set of problems to contend with. Strangely though, they can still use Heavy Armor, which means that if not for their naturally lower attack stat they’d actually be better than Enki in terms combat statistics.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

It's rough to be Enki.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if it's any consolation, the two 'spellcaster' characters in Termina, Marina and O'saa, are much better from what I've read.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Re: loot chat

While not possible in Hard mode, you can save scum in other modes by clearing an area to prevent sleep ambushes, saving, and THEN looting the place. While not practical for things like torches (2% per the fearandhungerwiki.gg. That's the good one, right? I assume the bad wiki is the fandom one), it's more doable with things like scrolls (10%, though only after passing the coinflip).

What's more interesting is that, according to Frapollo (F&H youtuber and modder), loot spots have a higher chance of giving you things that you need at the time. Torches, which are probably the trickiest resource, have a higher chance of appearing as loot if you have less than 2 torches in your inventory, regardless of whether you have the materials to craft more or not. Similarly, the game will give you more food if you're running out, clothing fragments if you're bleeding, white vials if you're poisoned, etc.

I've not seen this statement backed up by anyone else but, if true, it is surprisingly merciful from the game... Then again you could argue it's also more cruel because it might result in prolonging what is probably already a lost run by a few minutes more. I just think dynamic difficulty is cool.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I am very skeptical of that claim since the loot tables on the wiki are just pulled directly from the game by opening up its files in RPGMaker, I feel like someone would have hard data on how it works if its true. I won't rule out the possibility but that does very much sound like confirmation bias than an actual thing in the game.

There actually isn't much I recommend save scumming in this game because the extremely variable item pools means you can be doing it for a long time without getting anything useful in return, or something useless like Plate Mail for Enki. It's a bit more advisable in Termina as there are a handful of save spots near coin flip chests, and there are some extremely valuable accessories like Arm Guards and especially the Salmonsnake Rune that can only be obtained from chests.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

That's one of the reasons I think games should just program out save scumming to the best of their abilities. It would probably make everyone feel better if the option to grind a chest for hours just wasn't there. An optimal way to play the game would still develop. But probably around a more interesting way to spend your time.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 10, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I've personally never had a strong stance against Save Scumming so long as its not something the game either forces on you or makes it inarguably the best option for getting through the game. The one time I save scummed a chest in Termina, it only took me around 5 minutes to get what I wanted so I don't think it's that pace killing should the player decide to use it. Of course Hard Mode of F&H1 takes the pragmatic approach of nerfing save scumming as a tactic by just removing your ability to save outright.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The penalty for save scumming is save scumming. If you want to sit there and grind a chest for however long it takes to get something decent, you do you. You're the only one hurting yourself.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do get where Feliday is coming from, if there's an effective tool that revolves around exploiting the games mechanics at the expense of the game's natural progression, you can very easily find yourself with a nagging sensation in the back of your mind about it. I could do this for a huge boon, but is it even fair to do so? What if it ends up not being necessary? If I do commit to it, what if I get bad luck and spend a bunch of time on it regardless of if it's helpful or not? Approaching it like that, I can get why it's preferable if it just didn't exist.

As a counter-point though, I think its existence actually compliments the core of Fear & Hunger's difficulty. A lot of it is derived from exploiting people's mindsets, and if you approach the game with the wrong attitude you're going to have a much harder time with it. A lot of new players want to prove something by succeeding in a difficult game, and will commit to runs no matter how badly they go and try not to exploit meta knowledge to make the game easier. But Fear & Hunger is all about trial-and-error, experimentation and using meta knowledge to succeed in difficult situations that are just simply impossible to naturally react to. So a lot of people spend hours throwing themselves at every task in the game and bank on luck to carry them and often have a miserable experience. By that same token, having that internal hang-up over whether or not you should use a cheesy strategy goes along well with the overall mind game that the game plays with people.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6WBdj8Z9U

Part 15 is out! This go around we're checking out Enki's S Ending, which is the second hardest one to get. Had a couple false starts, but fortunately the full run ended up being amazing. This is probably the best item RNG I've gotten in awhile and it made the route I took an absolute breeze. There were several things I did not need to do, but I wanted to stick as closely to my original game plan so it was clear what I'd do if I found myself RNG screwed. We've just got one more run and by extension one more video, and I've saved the hardest for last! Before we get to that though,

How Do You Get This Ending?

This one's a little esoteric but it's not really any more complicated than Cahara's broadly speaking.

1.) Step out of the shadows when encountering Nosramus in the entrance to the mines. Politely introduce yourself, which sets the first flag for Enki's S Ending. It's important to note, YOU DO NOT need to talk to Nosramus in his first hideout in the mines. This is very commonly listed as a requirement and it is not true. Doing this requires defeating the Old Knight, which greatly complicates the route due to the party limitations you have to contend with, so I want to emphasize this every chance I get. If you do happen to visit Nosramus though, make sure to avoid pissing him off. Stealing from his chest while he's in the room will terminate the quest line.

2.)After collecting the Cube of The Depths and reaching the Catacombs, visit our old pal Isayah again to steal his maps. We will need Walk on Water to finish this run, and the 70 silver coins can also come in handy as a fringe perk.

3.) Defeat Valteil and talk to him in the present Ancient City right after. Enki will get additional dialogue here in Hard mode about the path to Enlightenment, which sets the next ending flag.

4.) Nosramus will have moved to his second hideout at this point, which is where we need to talk to him next. If you have spoken to Valteil in the present, you'll be able to inform Nosramus of what he said which will prompt Nosramus to provide you with the Spirit Anchor, an equippable accessory. This is the final piece needed to get Enki's S Ending, now it's just a matter of actually getting to it.

5.) Enter the Golden Temple of the past, defeat Francois and sit upon the throne to enter The Void. For the purposes of this run, I just Empty Scroll'd the King's Passage Key, but you can feel free to get in the legit way if you want to challenge yourself more.

6.) Once in The Void, make your way to the Ascended Enki and fight the T&S/Hard mode exclusive boss along the way. Once the fight is over, equip the Spirit Anchor and approach Ascended Enki. While Ending D seemingly plays out like normal, so long as you have the Spirit Anchor equipped you will get Ending S instead once the Ascended Enki "battle" concludes. It's important to note this is the only point where you actually need to equip the Anchor, you're more than welcome to use a more helpful accessor everywhere else in the Void until this point.

Overall, this is a pretty simple ending to get all things considered, it's just a matter of knowing the steps to get the Spirit Anchor and the game becomes a standard run once you have it. The limited capabilities of Enki and the skeletons can make this run pretty hard if you approach it without Empty Scrolls, especially if you don't get the amazing luck I did, but there are plenty of things you can do regardless of anything to give you a good shot at success.

Is It Canon?

Yes, and most likely almost exactly as it's portrayed. The Skin Bibles in Termina are actually penned by Enki and contain the knowledge of the older Gods as well as The God of Fear & Hunger that he gained while studying in the Grand Library. The only thing that's unclear is if Enki is still alive by the time of Termina. While the ending itself establishes Enki discovered the secrets to a prolonged life much like Nosramus, whether he chose to live unto eternity or decided to bow out after a point is left ambiguous.

Unique Equipment Available

Spirit Anchor: This actually does have an effect beyond being necessary for Enki's ending, though it's a pretty useless one. The Spirit Anchor gives you immunity to the Mumbler and Greater Mumbler's Soul Binding Skill. Mumblers are pathetically easy to kill even without going for head shots and Greater Mumblers are easy to avoid, so this is probably the most worthless status protection in the game.

Extra Notes

-Enki has by far the roughest early game, so while you do want to pick up Blood Portal eventually it might not be a terrible idea to dedicate his early soul stones to picking up Loving Whispers or learning attack magic. The short sword is complete trash and it'll be a little bit before you can secure better equipment.

-If you're trying to beat the game without Empty Scroll usage, take God of The Depths as your max affinity instead as Locust Swarm is very important for the final boss of this run and you can't get it otherwise. Since I wasn't banning Empty Scrolls, I took Gro-Goroth so I could get Necromancy ASAP.

-Definitely dedicate all your lucky coins to Bookshelves, starting with Alchemilla Vol 1 means Enki has one less thing to pull from bookshelves before the Grand Library and greater chances to get Loot Loops.

-Relatedly, it's totally possible to just keep reloading your starting save file and fish for good books from the Level 1 bookshelves if you so desire. I accidentally end up doing this since I got eaten by Jaggedjaws after entering the dungeon, but you can totally use this strat on purpose if you want.

-One thing that has not come up in runs to this point is that you cannot form a Marriage in S Ending runs, it will terminate the quest lines for them. This is most unfortunate for Enki since his equipment restrictions really hurt him in combat. Funnily enough though, you CAN still use the Penance Armor and Enki has no restriction from equipping that, so you can potentially route it into a run if you avoid Trortur and secure an Empty Scroll for Steal early on.

-As stated before, you just need to make a good impression on Nosramus to set the first flag for the S Ending. Talking to him until the next trigger is hit is a waste of time and resources. It can still be worth it to defeat the Old Knight since there's a guaranteed Empty Scroll in the first Nosramus lair, but I'd just save that for later if the RNG has been unkind to you.

-Once again, just kill Isayah for his maps. We'll be doing this for one last time in Ragnvaldr's run as well.

-Valteil can be super random, so don't approach him with anything less than the best stuff you can manage for the fight. I was fortunate enough to be able to get all the best gear possible for this fight, which ended up not being necessary since he spent all his turns doing nothing save for one where he threw the weak headbutt move.

-You can talk to Nosramus in the second hideout before talking to Valteil, though this accomplishes nothing so may as well just visit him after you get the Valteil flag set.

-Combustion is a cheap and effective attacking option, so there's no reason not to grab it while you're there. One thing to note is that Skeletons can use Combustion as well, which is a worthwhile option if any one of them has been disarmed.

-I really would not recommend fighting the other New Gods to gain access to the Golden Temple, but if you choose to do so it's a good idea to pick up the Salmonsnake Soul and Pheromones for this task. For Skin Granny, redirect her attacks onto you defensively strongest skeleton and make sure you have double turns by any means necessary to stay ahead on damage and healing. For the Tormented One, bring explosive vials to jam the wheels of Torment in a single action and poison him, and just deal with the fact your skeletons will take a huge HP debuff from fracture.

-Locust Swarm isn't fully necessary for Sylvian with the loadout I had, but it does make the fight much safer. The White Angel soul is ideal for Enki in this fight because it is totally possible he'll be ensared by Entangle, and that can be a disaster and a half depending on how many of the tentacles actually decide to attack. Leg Sweep is a good opener since it effectively halves the chance Sylvian will deal out any damage.

-Sometimes the ending still bugs out and shows you the front of the dungeon for a half second before switching to the proper still. Given the nature of how you get this ending, it can be a very harrowing image to see.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

In unrelated but much appreciated news, an archive channel for NoCommentary has been created and is slowly uploading archived content. It doesn't have the full extent of their uploads, but they are steadily rolling out what is presumably all the currently lost content. You can find it at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/@NoCommentaryArchive/videos

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I guess for once it doesn't suck to be Enki

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

We're makin' it out of The Void with this one, toobz.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

CullenDaGaDee posted:

In unrelated but much appreciated news, an archive channel for NoCommentary has been created and is slowly uploading archived content. It doesn't have the full extent of their uploads, but they are steadily rolling out what is presumably all the currently lost content. You can find it at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/@NoCommentaryArchive/videos

Did we ever find out what happened?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Jesus Christ Enki.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

If you ever need to hitch a ride, Enki is the wingman to have with those legs. Who wouldn't stop for that?

Feliday Melody posted:

Did we ever find out what happened?

Unfortunately I have no idea, but the termination notice indicates it was deleted by the account owner. Why they did that is up for speculation.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So I don't know if it was brought up in the video (probably not), but Phase Step is actually disabled in the Void, probably to keep the player from breaking the script that loops the map. So you can't cheese getting past Sylvian - you have to fight her. Enki cannot avoid this if he wants his enlightenment.

...is what I would say, if there wasn't a way to break the Phase Shift ban. Because of course there is.

What you do is cut off your arm (yes, really), and you can use Phase Shift again for some reason. I couldn't tell you why that is, but you can use it there to just teleport onto the cliff with the Reflection and just finish the story.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I actually know very little about Phase since it's a borderline debug skill and I've never been interested in using it. I do know a similar ban exists in the Mines so you can't bypass Walk on Water, I wonder if that work around applies there as well.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I actually know very little about Phase since it's a borderline debug skill and I've never been interested in using it. I do know a similar ban exists in the Mines so you can't bypass Walk on Water, I wonder if that work around applies there as well.

It probably does, but Walk on Water is far more feasible to acquire as Enki, and it's... well, more economically viable to only use one arm in pursuit of knowledge instead of both of them.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Oh absolutely, it's not practical at all I just have a fondness for each instance of spaghetti code in this game.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I was thinking about the pinecone pig (as one does). It makes sense that it works from the inventory in game one. Since the game only has 1 accessory slot, and using that for the pinecone pig would probably be really risky.

In game 2. Does it work if you equip it on a companion?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It'll work so long as anyone has it equipped. It goes off a lot more frequently in Termina as well since it needs to be equipped, as well as the fact that you can't craft it and need to dedicate a ritual circle to getting it.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBmTWtbw_w

The grand finale is out now! We finish with the toughest challenge in the game, Ragnvaldr's S Ending done relatively honestly. While I don't hesitate to make use of any advantage the game throws at me, I do go about obtaining this ending via the intended method rather than using Empty Scrolls to simply skip the toughest parts. I got pretty good luck with items in this run, so a number of the things I had in my RNG proofed game plan were skippable allowing for a fairly clean run with not too much backtracking. Let's break it down.

How Do You Get This Ending?

Ironically despite being the toughest ending to get with the longest playthrough involved, the conditions for Ragnvaldr's ending are ridiculously straightforward. There are only two conditions to be met and then you can waltz out the front of the dungeon to get your ending, but the first condition is very involved.

1.) You have to obtain every unique soul in the game. While the plotting of this ending makes it clear this is meant for proof of the kill rather than having any special significance, this does mean there's an amusing work around where you can skip problematic boss fights with Empty Scrolls if you want. While I do use Empty scrolls, I do go about using them to just make doing this the intended way less of a hassle. It's also important to keep in mind you need Soul Stones for a good chunk of these, though not for the New God souls thankfully. For a refresher on the unique souls and a little breakdown for obtaining them,

Black Witch: The Black Witch can be fought in the Level 2 Basement Flipside or the Ancient City Library, but her soul can only be obtained in the Library so that settles that decision. Not a terribly difficult fight if you have a full team of Skeletons, it's just advisable you're capable of laying out 400 damage in a single turn so you can eliminate her Black Orb casting left arm. En Garde also simplifies the fight. Not worth an Empty Scroll if you want to go that route, but amusingly in earlier versions of the game you had to Empty Scroll this one since the Witch could only be fought in Flipside.

Iron Shakespeare: Very easy to kill since he has very low torso HP, often you can one shot him if you got the Sergal Spear like I did. Not worth an Empty Scroll in any capacity.

Butterfly: You don't need to kill for this one, you just need to slice the organ in the present day Golden Temple. We have to fight all the New Gods anyway, so we'll be heading there regardless. Obviously not worth an Empty Scroll.

Crow Mauler: Definitely worth an Empty Scroll. You absolutely need a Red Vial to fight Mauler safely or risk a decapitation, so that's one piece of RNG to deal with. Additionally, we have heavily constrained options for engaging him since he despawns when we enter the Ancient City. Ma'habre has a number of useful items as well as ritual circles to build affinity, so getting prepared without going there is a hassle. Fortunately, most of the stuff we need to beat him solo are guaranteed. Loving Whispers, the Iron Mask, and the Eastern Sword for damage are all obtainable with no RNG, and Mauler does low enough damage that we can just wing shots at his torso and hope for crits while healing as we need to. The Red Vial is the only thing up to chance, and fortunately we were able to obtain a throwing dart for the safer poison kill strat. If you're able to get Necromancy before entering the City, you can also use Ghouls as punching bags. If you don't plan to Empty Scroll the Soul, setting up for Crow Mauler should be your first priority for this run because of the issues he presents.

Cave Mother: Ridiculously easy if placed at the end of the run. Just equip limb protection and you're fine. As demonstrated, her torso HP is so low that the Sergal Spear one shots her. Not worth an Empty Scroll.

Salmonsnake: Definitely kill this guy as soon as you have a full team of Skeletons. He's fairly unthreatening in terms of damage and has lowish Torso HP, so you can kill him without much issue. Not worth an Empty Scroll for the most part unless you want to take on limb destroying enemies with no risk ASAP.

White Angel: He's fairly easy to kill if you have Limb Protection, and En Garde makes the fight no hassle at all. Two Sergal Spear shots is enough to kill him. Definitely have limb protection if you can't secure an ambush. I find attacking the Heart to be too unreliable, so I recommend setting up for Torso shots. Taking him on after the Skin Granny means you can get En Garde without having to Empty Scroll, removing an RNG element from that strat. Not strictly worth an Empty Scroll, but the soul itself is quite useful like the Salmonsnake, so that might be something to consider.

Old Guardian: This guy has big damage potential but is a serious glass cannon. With a full team, he's easy enough to kill in a single turn with no issue. I Empty Scroll'd the Old Passage Key to get to him, but you can cut out the middle man and just Empty Scroll his soul directly. It's a bit of a time and torch investment to go out of your way for this guy the proper way, so it's definitely a worthwhile consideration from that angle.

The Endless Soul: Skin Granny is scary, but with the right set up she is not much of an issue. As long as your skeletons are kitted out properly, you can just have Ragnvaldr War Cry and Guard while they go to work. Fast Attack is a good idea for this fight so Ragnvaldr can heal himself if the RNG is unkind on the arms getting destroyed. The biggest consideration is that the Endless Dream takes a bit of time to go through, is out of the way, and the Endless Soul itself gives access to a bunch of good skills. Give it consideration for an Empty Scroll.

The Tormented Soul: The Tormented One is really obnoxious to fight with skeletons since you have no control over what wheels they attack and both outer wheels need to be hit in a single turn in order to make him vulnerable. Fast Attack can take the RNG out of this, but of course I made a typo on the Empty Scroll and screwed myself out of that skill. He's not too difficult overall, just kind of annoying. I actually wouldn't recommend Empty Scrolling him, since you need to actually kill him to get access to White Angel, meaning you'd need another Empty Scroll if you skipped him.

The Enlightened Soul: Actually very easy to beat if you have the Eastern Silk Robes and the Salmonsnake Soul. I decided to just risk Ragnvaldr getting slammed with Black Orb and Headbutt instead, which isn't the smartest move but it ended up going okay. Definitely could have done this fight cleaner. I'd only really recommend Empty Scrolling this guy if you have absolutely no otherworldly protection and are super paranoid about Ragnvaldr getting deleted by the rare whombo Combo.

The Dominating Soul: Francois is essentially a free kill, but your skeletons can cause problems for the fight if they smash his torso down. Pay close attention to how many hits his torso eats and guard if it looks like the phase switch is going to happen before you can destroy his arms. Keep the White Angel Soul on Ragnvaldr so you can use the talk command on your Extra Turn if necessary. Not really worth an Empty Scroll since you need to enter the Golden Temple anyway to cut the organ there, so you may as well just fight Francois the intended way.

2.) Confirm Le'garde's death. We can leisurely do this on our way out of the city as we backtrack to pick up the Cave Mother and Butterfly souls.

After those two conditions are met, just return to the entrance and leave through the mist.

Is it Canon?

Most likely, though the finer details are probably a bit different from how they're portrayed in the game. Le'garde definitely makes it out of the dungeons, so if Ragnvaldr confirmed his death then D'arce would have done Rebirth of The Beloved shortly after. Ragnvaldr's lineage persists in the time of Termina, so in some capacity or another he made out of the dungeons, and this seems like a fitting path for him to take.

Extra Notes

-Picking the short bow and getting Marksmanship can make the early game safer in places, but having the Axe allows me to equip all my skeletons if I get bad book RNG and can't obtain Blue Sin. I ended up getting a bunch of equipment options that rendered the axe worthless, but it's unwise to bank on that so I'm confident the choice I made was a good one. The wooden buckler is a nice bonus.

-Food is basically no issue in this run due to Devour and skeletons not needing to eat, just be mindful to not eat anything you want to harvest a soul from.

-As mentioned at the start of this post, I had a number of RNG proofing plans in place, but I got really good RNG in this run. I'll make note of what I would have done if not for certain lucky loot drops.

-With the Axe, Ragnvaldr pretty consistently deals enough damage to the Guards to destroy their cleaver arms in one shot, but you do have to still worry about misses. That secure us our one and only reset for the run.

-This is the one time you absolutely want to enter the Thicket in a Hard mode run as opposed to taking the Mines route. The sooner we get the Eastern Sword the better.

-As mentioned previously, dealing with Crow Mauler is the first important thing of this run. The guaranteed things we want are Loving Whispers (just need to do the orgy and get a Soul Stone), the Iron Mask and the Eastern Sword. (Worst case scenario, we could take the Explosive Vial from the Level 6 mines and just deal with running around the Miner Spectres.) The RNG objects we have to contend with are the absolutely necessary Red Vial and the not required but helpful Throwing Dart. If I was unable to get a Red Vial after searching every loot spot in the dungeons, I'd have just said screw it and Empty Scroll'd the Crow Mauler soul.

-Once Crow Mauler is dealt with, that's when we're good to begin with making our team. If you didn't get Greater Blood Magic like I did, I'd recommend buying Elixirs of Mind from the Bug Eyed figurine to make sure you can cast Necromancy as much as you need to.

-The Penance Armor was not in my route plan at all, but I did have the option so I took it. If I couldn't have gotten it, The Gaunt Armor has the exact same defensive values minus the limb protection, so I'd have gone for that. The Penance Armor does make the run a little harder in some ways, because it doesn't protect against blindness and since it can't be taken off I cannot sub in the Eastern Silk Robes for the Valteil fight.

-The Ghouls aren't necessary to resurrect, but they are an easy way to get the Sergal Spear, which is very helpful in this run.

-With the Sergal Spear, Eastern Sword and Miasma as things we can collect guaranteed, we have the Axe left over for our final skeleton in the absolute worse case scenario. Luckily for me, I was able to set up a Bone Shears comp, so I didn't need to waste time grabbing Blue Sin even though I did get the capability.

-If you skip out on the Sergal Spear, I'd recommend keeping the Purified Eastern Sword on Ragnvaldr. His crits with the weapon go way beyond anything the Skeletons could hope to accomplish with it.

-It's definitely a good idea to kill the Black Witch before taking on any other bosses, Poison is just too good.

-The best way to deal with Valteil is to have Ragnvaldr equip the Eastern Silk Robes and Salmonsnake Soul, and then have him War Cry. He can heal as needed, has protection against Hurting blasting off his limbs, and the skeletons can do the heavy lifting. Alternatively you can Pheromones a Skeleton with the Robes and Soul equipped. I screwed up on learning Pheromones and had the Penance armor, so neither of these strats worked out and I decided to play the Valteil casino.

-If you Fast Attack or some other method of getting a speed buff, the Tormented One fight is much simpler. The central wheel takes ludicrous damage from the Sergal Spear, making the fight go by way faster than how it went in the video.

-Remember that the White Angel only becomes active after defeating Tormented One, so you'd need two Empty Scrolls to get both their souls if you want to skip the Tormented One.

-Skin Granny is super easy with the Penance Armor/Gaunt Armor and a Salmonsnake Soul, just War Cry and Guard while your skeletons go to town. This is another situation Fast Attack would have helped a lot with since the Sergal Spear can do enough damage to oneshot the Granny's arms as well as giving me opportunities to heal if I got bad RNG.

-The Old Guardian is a massive time sink to get to the intended way, making the Old Passage Key the one Empty Scroll I fully intended to use to get to him no matter what. I'd recommend cutting out the middle man and just Scrolling the soul itself to save time in a more casual run. (As casual as Hard Mode runs can get in this game anyway)

-Again, be mindful of how much your skeletons are hitting Francois' torso for. His Coin Flip attack goes through even if you have the Penance Armor and getting hit by it can be a disaster scenario.

-One Tooth Bite is the ultimate in RNG screws with its random limb destroying attribute, so I really would just recommend saving the Cavemother for one of your last kills. Sergal Spear makes the fight a cake walk.

-You can also take out Iron Shakespeare on the return trip for the Butterfly soul, but I wanted his Empty Scroll so I took him out earlier.

And that's a wrap for the LP! I'll definitely write up one more post for final thoughts once I've had dinner for tonight. If you're interested in seeing more hardcore versions of this run with riskier strategies used, Garen Oak has a clear with absolutely no Empty Scrolls used. Some of his choices are questionable for how he got through this, but it's an impressive accomplishment regardless. Fear & Hunger speedrunner and certified mad man Ihukne has the current world record time for clearing this run glitchless. By throwing all caution to the wind and letting RNGesus take the wheel, he cleared the ending with a ridiculously fast time of 33 minutes and 16 seconds. Makes my video seem pretty inadequate, eh?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

And with that, Fear & Hunger has been completed! That was definitely a demanding series to make, both in the actual recordings and writing up the supplemental posts. It was definitely a fun endeavor though, I'm always eager to share games that are special to me and hope it comes across to the people who see what I put out. Certainly this is far from a comprehensive Let's Play of the series, there are many small events I passed over or didn't cover, but I think I did a good enough job showing off everything decently notable the game has to offer. To my knowledge, Orange has no plans to update this game further, whether with more content or to fix some of the more egregious known bugs, so this Let's Play should be completely capped off. Who knows what could happen though! Still waiting on that Termina update, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll have the Termina thread going on here once I can resume that game.

I want to give huge shout outs to everyone who has followed along with the thread, commenting both in it and on the videos. It means the world to me that anyone was able to get enjoyment out of these videos and it's great to be able to talk with others about the game. I wasn't sure if people would be too put off by the game or if the quality of my content just wasn't good enough for people to want to engage with, and I am so thankful people did end up enjoying it. In my mind at the start, if I did get any interaction on the LP, I was pretty sure it was going to be like my Devil Survivor LP where most of the discussion revolved around the written content rather than the video content. You can never tell just how whatever you make is going to go over! For real though, a massive thank youse to all who followed the LP, I was dead set on getting this out into the world regardless and having it reach people is one of the most gratifying feelings in the world. Hope to see you around, I have plenty I want to work on this year that I think will be pretty cool!

*Art by @KingjoshuaArt

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was nice to see a goon take a shot at doing this LP in a proper fashion rather than just a general breakdown of the game and I'd say you did a good job exploring both the game mechanics and lore around it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Materant posted:

What you do is cut off your arm (yes, really), and you can use Phase Shift again for some reason. I couldn't tell you why that is, but you can use it there to just teleport onto the cliff with the Reflection and just finish the story.

My guess is that the various states of having limbs (all, missing arm, missing leg, etc) are what the Phase Shift ban applies to, because the leg ones (and later the arm ones) both restrict the moves you can use on the map. So the Phase Shift ban applies to the intact Enki, you cut his arm off, and the one-arm Enki didn't have the Phase Shift ban applied to it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This has been an amazing adventure.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

ChaseSP posted:

It was nice to see a goon take a shot at doing this LP in a proper fashion rather than just a general breakdown of the game and I'd say you did a good job exploring both the game mechanics and lore around it.

I really appreciate you saying so! Part of the reason I wanted to make this is that while there are plenty of videos for this game, few actually tackle it in a comprehensive manor that actually effectively conveys how to play it. There's story analysis videos, uncommentated challenge runs, blind and casual playthroughs where the players just crash headlong into every obstacle until they eventually finish the game, but little in the way of comprehensive playthroughs that actually explain what to do and why you should do it. Consequently, Fear & Hunger is the most extreme example of "World's biggest [X] Fan excited to play it for the first time!" I've ever seen. There's loads of misinformation out there and terrible advice on how to play the game, which even affected this LP as there were numerous times I'd try something I read or heard about just to find out it's a huge pile of dookie.

Feliday Melody posted:

This has been an amazing adventure.

Glad you liked it! Having people along who enjoyed the ride makes the journey that much more worthwhile.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I also really enjoyed this LP.

I couldn't get into your Termina run,though. Not sure if it is because I am less familiar with the game itself or because you LP skills improved since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Termina has a much slower opening, so I imagine that could be a factor from a viewer perspective. I feel that run really picked up around the mid game since I was able to hit more locations in single videos.