Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ragnavaldr having dialogue for being stuck in the poo poo pit is a nice touch.

Good LP. I think you nailed it with the "World's biggest Fear & Hunger Fan excited to play it for the first time!" meme. I'm glad a comprehensive LP exists that explains how things work exists at last because there were so many holes in my knowledge of how things happened in this game.

Termina sounds like a much more interesting and, well, playable game in general, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about it later, and probably play it when the promised patch that hopefully expands the playable roster comes.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
To end things in the shitter seems really appropriate for Fear and Hunger.

In terms of the canon, it's rather funny to me that Cahara is the only one who doesn't get his S ending in some form, since someone has to lead the Girl to the Depths. I think Enki's S ending basically happens entirely intact, whereas I don't think Ragnvaldr's does (I feel he'd be the one to leave with Moonless, but you can't do that in S...). Whereas for D'Arce, I feel her path would honestly be S that chains into the C ending.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
My personal perspective on Ragnvaldr’s S ending is that it did happen but the finer details are much different to what's actually doable in the game. There’s very much a broad strokes canon going on with the Endings because no combo fully lines up with things as they are in Termina. The biggest example is Nas’hrah being burned in Termina. There is no way how that event happens in F&H is canon since it occurs in the fight with Gro-Goroth which always results in the death of whoever reaches that ending. My best guess for it is either Nas’hrah made his way to Gro-Goroth by himself somehow, or he was actually immolated by The God of Fear & Hunger. It's kind of like Resident Evil, where canonically Barry and Rebecca survive the first game but there's no way to get an outcome like that in any version of RE1.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 13, 2024

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I can't believe it all went to poo poo in the end. Thanks for the videos, I really enjoyed watching them and taking in the experience that is Fear and Hunger.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Great LP, thanks! Definitely in the category of wouldn't play, will watch.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, I guess I'll take the opportunity now to watch your Termina LP.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The Termina LP is very good. I liked it a lot. Probably due to the great variance in environment, tech level and characters.

The mix of gothic architecture, old churches, gasoline, manual action guns, old trucks, sparking electronics, and dark magic. It's very good. It suits me a lot

The train sets the tone very well.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 13, 2024

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CullenDaGaDee posted:

My best guess for it is either Nas’hrah made his way to Gro-Goroth by himself somehow, or he was actually immolated by The God of Fear & Hunger.

Couldn't he just be brought there by Cahara, who doesn't need to be alive for anything in Termina?

EDIT: Oh wait. No Gro-Goroth in that case, I forgot. For some reason I thought there was a way to fight them back-to-back.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 13, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Ending B really seems to exist as one final troll to the players who made it through the most dangerous area in the game without having The Girl in order to trigger the actual reason you’d be there. Really emphasizing this is the fact Gro-Goroth was added as a boss in the game with Orange not even bothering to confirm if he was beatable or not.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Very interesting journey. Chalk me up for another person who will not play this, but it's a hell of a trip to watch, so thanks for the experience.

Also grateful that you spared us viewers the more gratuitous aspects of this game. I'll definitely check out Termina next!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Do you have any future LP projects after this, then?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Already working on practice playthroughs for two different games, definitely planning on doing a less demanding game after this. I have another really demanding LP in the pipeline that’ll take awhile before I can begin work on it. I’m also still eagerly awaiting the Termina update. Once that drops I’ll probably stream my first impressions and begin familiarizing myself with the new content so I can make new parts for that LP, as well as port over the existing thread for it to SA.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Sounds very cool.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for running this LP. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have properly played this game myself. It was an enjoyable experience to follow along with.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Thanks, I truly do appreciate the kind sentiments. It took a decent chunk of time and effort to get this together, and while it is far from perfect I am really happy at least a few people found parts of it that shone.

This is as good an opportunity to wish everyone a Tranquil and Satiated Valentine's Day!

Shout outs to KingJoshuaArt, they do good work.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Appreciate the comprehensive LP of a game that's cool but I would never have had the patience to mine all this out of. I do kinda wish there were reasons for more things/fights to be worth doing even if they were usually not optimal. Weird edge case kinda stuff. 'cause it's cool to have to plan your run and vary what exactly you do and don't take on based on your starting setup and what resources you luck into on the RNG, but I'm not really a fan of having just straight up traps for the novice player (aside from the toilet, which is just funny - and early enough not to be too much of a pain) even in a game whose aesthetic is this deliberately hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

That is the one downside of doing things the way I did this LP, there's a lot a blind player is more likely to see just through experimenting than someone who's beaten the game 10 times by the time they've started the LP. Even the stuff I did cover for demonstrative purposes, it'd be interesting to see someone try and play it out after getting hit with something nasty as opposed to just treating it like a throw away scenario.