Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

We all have that one guilty pleasure movie. The one that in our heart of hearts know is bad but love it anyway. And no matter how many times you hear why people hate it you stand your ground and love it regardless. I wanna hear which movies those are for you and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxANWqgmsFc

Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows - it's a complete departure of style, none of the actors from the first are involved, in fact it treats the first movie as just that - a movie that the characters in the sequel went and saw and became obsessed with. By all rights it's not that good of a movie - but I love it!

It's interesting. Movie sequels are usually not as good as the first and sometimes just the same movie again but worse or different location. This one goes in a completely different direction, and by the end of it it has you asking if what you saw is what actually happened. And when you watch it again you can find a lot of little hints as to what is actually happening. I love this terrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Star Trek: Nemesis

It's a fun examination of the nature vs nurture argument, plus Shinzon's ship is bad rear end.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Hudson Hawk. Watched it a bunch on HBO, then took a risk years later and still liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrVwG3AsPs

The trailer really does not help.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
\/\/\/ The Red Elvises, who feature in that movie play in my town like twice a year, but they only do so on a fuckin awful monday night when absolutely nobody is out. I go to every show, but I'm only ever like one of eight people :(

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Dec 30, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Six String Samurai

It's just dumb and fun and has a unique vibe to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have an eternal soft spot for Equilibrium. It's just so earnest and self-serious despite being utterly silly, and the action still owns. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfklP_tyagQ

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Dec 30, 2023

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!

widefault posted:

Hudson Hawk. Watched it a bunch on HBO, then took a risk years later and still liked it.

I never understood why nobody seemed to like this movie, it's great!

Same goes for the Last Action Hero and Mystery Men. What's not to love?!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beezle posted:

Last Action Hero rules and feels like it's ahead of its time. My wife bought it for me at Play and Trade in the mall and the dude working there made fun of me through my wife. gently caress that guy.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Beezle posted:

Mystery Men was loving awesome and I look forward to watching it with my niece and nephews when they're older.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

widefault posted:

Hudson Hawk was awesome. Me and my best friend at the time saw it in the theater. Later that year we went on a high school trip to Europe and would recognize locations from the movie while we were there. We would then point them out when we watched it over and over on VHS after that. :v:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I loved Howard the Duck as a kid.

Hot Rod is one of the greatest comedies of the 21st century.

I've seen A Night at the Roxbury more than a few times and even made a friend watch it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Eclipse12 posted:

made a friend watch it

pervert poo poo

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Beezle posted:

Saw Last Action Hero in the theater and loved it, then was super confused when it became obvious people didn't get the satire.

Eclipse12 posted:

Having seen it again recently, I think I like it more now.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

widefault posted:

Having seen it again recently, I think I like it more now.

The Dark Overlord creature design is badass

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Star Trek V. "What does God need with a starship?" Is a cheese classic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lots of people love Dark Star. Me included.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

I've seen A Night at the Roxbury more than a few times and even made a friend watch it.

wait do people not like Hot Rod? It rules!

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Well, I'm pretty sure it flopped in theaters and the RT score is pretty rough.

That said, anyone I've shown it to loves it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think a lot of people have it as a guilty pleasure at this point but Southland Tales is amazing and terrible. I cannot get the scene where leslie knope and avon barksdale get blasted by Jay Sherman in front of Stiffler and Dwayne The Rock Johnson out of my head. Or the scene where Justin Timberlake gets really high, and the movie basically stops while he looks right at the camera and has a song and dance number to All the things I've done by the killers.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Super Mario Brothers: The Movie from 1993 is a movie that I couldn't get enough of as a kid and still enjoy today. I didn't grow up playing the Mario games (we could only afford a Genesis), so I pretty much went into the movie with no expectations. It's just such a bizarrely entertaining experience between the lighthearted music, braindead characters, and the dystopian pseudo-cyberpunk setting that I had a blast the first time I watched it.

I'm pretty sure every time we would go to Blockbuster it was always in our pile of tapes to rent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alien: Covenant is not especially well-rated but it's one of my favorite Ridley Scott films. The pure nastiness and misanthropy that pervades the entire piece is simply delightful, and Michael Fassbender turns in one of his best performances as David. It's an entertaining movie to watch for whenever you have a rather low opinion of humanity and need a good giggle at the same time. I love it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Barbarella rides a wavering line between campy sexploitation and artful, inspired cult classic. It's an encapsulation of the wildness of the 60's, the thought experiment of guilt-free or post-sexuality of the distant future, wild sets and imagery, and a weird earnestness from Fonda playing the innocent, who bounces from situation to situation with wide-eyed wonder, drawing the viewer in to experience it all alongside her (though 'innocent' is an unlikely word here). It is a futuristic fetishy fashiony fairy tale, wonderfully and weirdly unique, and we will never see its like again. It was one of those right-time right-place right-people filmings. Any attempt to remake it would probably trod heavily over the line in one or another direction - too campy, too much focus on the sexual element, visuals that are garish without the cohesive vision. The plot is admittedly choppy, and feels cheap at times, but it's almost like that's part of the fun, an episodic fever dream.

It's easy to see its artistic influence on subsequent 'wild comic-book future' movies like The Fifth Element and Valerian, and a lot of campy sci-fi music videos.

The acting is delightful to me - digging into the roles with abandon, without overt winks about how over the top it is. Marcel Marceau has his first speaking role. John Phillip Law as a rigidly insane blind birdman/angel. Pallenberg/Greenwood combining to give the Black Queen role shades of seduction and death simultaneously. And Fonda, who surfs seemingly effortlessly across the top of the waves.

It's not even that I love this movie and others hate it or don't understand it or lump it in with sensationalist schlock - I just mourn that there aren't more movies that come close to what this one does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cats.

No, I'm not talking about a different movie called Cats, I'm talking about the one you're thinking of. I saw it at the cinema twice.

People seemed to hate it for one of two reasons:
  1. It's not the same as the live, stage version. And to those people, I say "good." I haven't seen it but it sounds poo poo. I don't want to see it and every change that you say ruined the movie sounds like an improvement to me.
  2. It's weird. And to those people I say "yes, that's why it's good." It's an incoherent mess and you never really know what's happening or why, or what to expect next. It's an experience.

James Corden is loving awful though. The movie would be perfect if they'd just cut him out of it.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Not a movie but I LOVE the album Chinese Democracy by GnR.

Better
Street of Dreams
There Was a Time
Catcher in the Rye
IRS
This I Love
Prostitute

All awesome.

History will vindicate Axl Rose

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Battlefield Earth.

I rented it a couple of times on vhs back in the days and liked it because it has the underdog humans kick the dumb alien overlords' asses. Also the cavemen ride harriers and in the end they nuke an entire planet! :black101:

The wikipedia article says the movie was panned for pretty much anything. I'm sure that's true but I don't remember it at all and that's fine with me.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

10,000 BC

I am a sucker for any media which purports that the pyramids of Giza were built long before the rise of the ancient Egyptian civilization.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’ve seen all the Mila Jovovich Resident Evil movies multiple times. I love that practically each one ends with a reveal that the next movie just throws away in the first five minutes.

Whoa, Mila has an army of clones now? Can’t wait to see how the next movie deals with oh wait they’re all dead already, okay.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know if it's quite hate/love, but I like the John Carter movie and if other people even know it exists all they know is that it was a massive flop.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

I’ve seen all the Mila Jovovich Resident Evil movies multiple times. I love that practically each one ends with a reveal that the next movie just throws away in the first five minutes.

Whoa, Mila has an army of clones now? Can’t wait to see how the next movie deals with oh wait they’re all dead already, okay.

The Goosebumps strategy. Each chapter ends on a cliffhanger that is walked back in the very next sentence.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I love Freddy Got Fingered.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chip McFuck posted:

Super Mario Brothers: The Movie from 1993 is a movie that I couldn't get enough of as a kid and still enjoy today. I didn't grow up playing the Mario games (we could only afford a Genesis), so I pretty much went into the movie with no expectations. It's just such a bizarrely entertaining experience between the lighthearted music, braindead characters, and the dystopian pseudo-cyberpunk setting that I had a blast the first time I watched it.

I'm pretty sure every time we would go to Blockbuster it was always in our pile of tapes to rent.

clicked here to post this. classic schlock. adore it.

Everybody walk your dinosaur.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i love the robert altman weird ham handed attempt at an 80s teen comedy "o.c. and stiggs". fans of teen comedies hate it because it's robert altman style. fans of robert altman HATE it because it's a weirdo teen comedy. i think it's great

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tank Girl (1995) was a B-budget comic book adaptation that managed to get a pretty decent cast together with Lori Petty as the titular tank girl, Naomi Watts as the sidekick and Malcolm McDowell as the main antagonist. It also stars Ice-T in a kangaroo suit as one of the mysterious Rippers who turn out to be a bunch of horny dorks.

It absolutely bombed. The plot is dumb, most fans of the comic hate it. The humor is full of very crass jokes, but at least it's true to the source material in that regard. Its only saving grace is the comic book style animated clips spliced in between scenes. I've read that Naomi Watts refuses to talk about the movie.

And I love it. It's the perfect movie to just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Xanadu (1980) was the film that was supposed to capitalise on the success of Grease and propel Olivia Newton John to mega-stardom by cashing in on the hip new dance sensation, Roller-Disco. But it took so long to pull together they were still rewriting the script when it came to shooting and only kept ahead by locking Joel Silver in a room with a load of cocaine and not letting him out until they had pages to shoot. By the time it came out the craze had long passed, nobody could work out why Gene Kelly also appeared in the film, the whole thing was barely held together camp nonsense and was instantly killed by the one word review "Xana-don't". It later went on to inspire the creation of the Razzies. Possibly BECAUSE it was so notorious the tie in 10 inch promotional picture disk of the main theme is now one of the rarest and most expensive records on the collector market.

But, but. It wears it heart on its sleeve, any time Olivia Newton John is performing she just radiates joy, the ELO-provided soundtrack is a time capsule of a less cynical era, and who doesn't love camp nonsense? Well, lots of people. But I saw this when I was 6 and fell in love with it, believed in muses, and even though on a rewatch I can't defend it on just about any level, I still kinda love it. It's trash, but I love it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Tank Girl (1995) was a B-budget comic book adaptation that managed to get a pretty decent cast together with Lori Petty as the titular tank girl, Naomi Watts as the sidekick and Malcolm McDowell as the main antagonist. It also stars Ice-T in a kangaroo suit as one of the mysterious Rippers who turn out to be a bunch of horny dorks.

It absolutely bombed. The plot is dumb, most fans of the comic hate it. The humor is full of very crass jokes, but at least it's true to the source material in that regard. Its only saving grace is the comic book style animated clips spliced in between scenes. I've read that Naomi Watts refuses to talk about the movie.

And I love it. It's the perfect movie to just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

When the crew of Expedition 6 made it to the International Space Station the first thing they did was watch Tank Girl. Some fun Tank Girl trivia for you.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Isomermaid posted:

Xanadu (1980) was the film that was supposed to capitalise on the success of Grease and propel Olivia Newton John to mega-stardom by cashing in on the hip new dance sensation, Roller-Disco. But it took so long to pull together they were still rewriting the script when it came to shooting and only kept ahead by locking Joel Silver in a room with a load of cocaine and not letting him out until they had pages to shoot. By the time it came out the craze had long passed, nobody could work out why Gene Kelly also appeared in the film, the whole thing was barely held together camp nonsense and was instantly killed by the one word review "Xana-don't". It later went on to inspire the creation of the Razzies. Possibly BECAUSE it was so notorious the tie in 10 inch promotional picture disk of the main theme is now one of the rarest and most expensive records on the collector market.

But, but. It wears it heart on its sleeve, any time Olivia Newton John is performing she just radiates joy, the ELO-provided soundtrack is a time capsule of a less cynical era, and who doesn't love camp nonsense? Well, lots of people. But I saw this when I was 6 and fell in love with it, believed in muses, and even though on a rewatch I can't defend it on just about any level, I still kinda love it. It's trash, but I love it.

Loved it as a kid, love it now. The introduction of the muses really holds up considering the state of the effects industry at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DhJdGNuu8

Thought of another, Dream a Little Dream (1989) starring The Coreys, Meredith Salenger, and Jason Robards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBzIXPVt1bY

Corey Feldman pretending to be Jason Robards, ridiculous 80s music covers, and a surprise Harry Dean Stanton.

And, of course Corey in the early part of his Micheal Jackson phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIvq1ObEOrs

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

widefault posted:

Loved it as a kid, love it now. The introduction of the muses really holds up considering the state of the effects industry at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DhJdGNuu8

And the song "I'm Alive" makes more sense when you see the movie.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Isomermaid posted:

Described often as "the movie that killed Gene Kelley" and probably the best most apt description I've heard is "so bad, it's mesmerizing."

I also own it on DVD and have the soundtrack. Which fuckin' slaps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCm0_93WCCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Eclipse12 posted:

This is it

I'll lob The Day After Tomorrow onto the table, and will take this whole post to make the same point Roger Ebert made in one sentence:

quote:

What's amusing in movies like "The Day After Tomorrow" is the way the screenplay veers from the annihilation of subcontinents to whether Sam should tell Laura he loves her.

He nailed it, as always. The tonal shifts in this movie kill me every time:

[pretty consistently solid/realistic CGI of tornadoes shredding L.A. and people getting absolutely waxed left and right]
- Oh man this is a little unnerving, I would not call this a joke

[bunch of shamelessly stupid bullshit about the high school kids and Jake Hyllenhaal's puppydog eyes for Emmy Rossum]
- OK nm this is silly, I guess the whole movie is pretty silly

[classically-trained vet of Shakespearean theater Ian Holm cruises by and drops some really bad dialogue that is somehow rendered solemn and meaningful by his flawless delivery]
- Oh wow, now I feel sad/bad, he's right this is very serious

[hilariously bad science dialogue in the Wargames NOAA command center cheerfully rips any shred of credibility away]
- haha this is ridiculous and I am watching a dumb movie that makes no pretense of being anything but dumb

[wave of supercold wind freezes pilot dude solid in .8 seconds]
- oh man that is crazy and even a little sobering, perhaps I should

[running from the cold wave into the library, "quick burn more books! More books! Hurry!"]
- okay what the actual gently caress is going on here, pick a lane goddamnit

The end is unfiltered Emmerich where the camera gives us little four-second shots of every loose end - awww the dog survived! awww the old guy made it, that's great - awww nerdy kid got the girl, she's cuddling up to him in the rescue helicopter, what a happy ending - awww the dad w a friendly/fatherly grin at his son who is now a man, I guess everything's gonna be OK here for our plucky heroes pay no attention to the millions of corpses littering the Northern Hemisphere Welp, off to Mexico who has cheerfully accepted President Cheney's apology and has opened their borders to their good friends from the north

There are times when the whole thing feels like one of those flicks with two different directors in charge at different times, like one got fired so the other one took over? Except no, it's just one director and this was clearly his plan the whole time. And yet for all of that dissonance, the movie is undeniably entertaining. It's like a trainwreck but if the conductor was like, "what's the problem, trainwrecks are badass!", and was kind of right.

Couple of timeless quotes:

quote:

Physicist: The Canadians are reporting tremendous circulation moving from the Arctic. In Siberia, there's a low-pressure system unlike anything we've seen. And Australia just saw the strongest typhoon ever recorded.
Head Scientist: Hang on - are you saying these things are interconnected???
Physicist: We have to consider the possibility
goddamnit, I was so sure all this poo poo was just a big coincidence!

quote:

Vice President (obvious dead-ringer for Cheney): Mr. President, Los Angeles has been devastated by a series of tornados. On top of that, the FAA wants your approval to suspend all air traffic.
President (obvious dead-ringer for Bush): What do you think we should do
:xd: