Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

Toys

I watched this movie with a few of my friends and they didn't really like it, I understand why but I can't bring myself to not love it.

Plot: Famous toymaker dies and instead of leaving it to his son (Robin Williams) he leaves it to his general brother (Michael Gambon) who in turn enlists his son (LL Cool J). He decides to MOTHERFUCKING INVENT DRONE WARFARE and recruit kids using video games. This movie was released in 1992.

Why I love it:

-The set design is surreal as hell. Most shots look like they come from a fever dream.
-Soundtrack is great. Has the superior Frankie Goes to Hollywood song on it. (Welcome to the Pleasuredome).
-Weird things just happen in scenes and the characters just roll with it. One scene has two characters drive through the factory and they stop to let toy ducks cross. No one mentions this.
-You think you know where it's going, but you really don't.
-Weaponized MTV.
-"Sorry folks, the general needed more room."
-The outdoor shots were fillmed on the Windows XP background.

Nobody, not even bad movie podcasts, talk about it. Wish more people would check it out.

The Worst Idea of All Time did an episode about it: https://shows.acast.com/worstideaofalltime/episodes/review-toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Worst Idea of All Time did an episode about it: https://shows.acast.com/worstideaofalltime/episodes/review-toys

New podcast. Cool. I'll listen to it at work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

New podcast. Cool. I'll listen to it at work.

They're fun, although doing one-off reviews is not their usual shtick. Their network's ads are 1) automatically inserted with no respect to the show content, and 2) utterly loving atrocious, though.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

Toys rocks. I don't make a habit to watch it often, but I always have it on hand just in case someone is over that hasn't seen it and we've got some time to kill.

You know, I don't recall ever seeing the trailer with Mork standing in the grass and talking to the camera, but when Mr Burns did it I knew exactly what it was and what it was from.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I knew Robin Williams was in it, but Michael Gambon and LLCool J? I love weird casting. And Gambon.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
And Joan Cusack as Robin's sister. Who is also a robot.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Toys is really good. So, so bizarre and confident. Got that really good Tori Amos song, too. I love how LL Cool J just suddenly appear sometimes, being in the raddest camouflage and stuff.

Also, I'm glad some of you also posted movies that I don't like, because I was starting to suspect that I have horrible taste in movies(I do.)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Even if It is an ironic attachment, I delight in the Twilight movies and they are wildly engaging once you get past the first one. Whenever the Twilight movies get brought up I just have to spill about the details that are still burned into my mind

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
If I'm being honest with myself, I probably rewatched Event Horizon more than Alien and I'm okay with that.

Also, Godzilla: King of the Monsters is maybe my favorite Godzilla, and I still believe that there's some really seriously thought out themes in there that get overlooked because of some really bad dialogue.

And The Last Jedi is the most interesting Star Wars ever got after the original trilogy - but it probably should have been the final episode of the trilogy, and not the middle.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I will never stop defending Event Horizon. Also Mortal Kombat 97. The rest of Paul WS Anderson is poo poo. Except for Soldier, of course.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Narzack posted:

I will never stop defending Event Horizon. Also Mortal Kombat 97. The rest of Paul WS Anderson is poo poo. Except for Soldier, of course.

Did he do Soldier? God drat, I never thought I'd say this but Paul WS Anderson made three decent movies.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

Did he do Soldier? God drat, I never thought I'd say this but Paul WS Anderson made three decent movies.

Yeah seems 90's Paul WS Anderson was actually a pretty entertaining shlocky director. Then the 2000's happened.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Narzack posted:

I will always stand behind Mortal Kombat as the first (and for a long time only) good video game adaption. They took some core aesthetics for the game to be recognizable, built a functional story around it and filled all the gaps with legitimately solid martial arts.

You know what, while I'm at it I will also go to bat for the Resident Evil movies. Those are dumb as poo poo, but I can't help but admire their audacity and complete lack of restraint. Plus, Milla Jovovich. :allears:

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I recently happened to look up The Ninth Gate, a movie in which Johnny Depp plays an unscrupulous rare book dealer who stumbles upon a book reputed to allow one to gain great power. I knew it was never really a hit, but I was a little surprised to learn it has very low reviews and scores. Apparently it's bad.

I loved it from beginning to end. He gets pulled along by circumstance as well as his own draw to the mysteries he encounters, and he always seems almost entirely out of his depth. He never has the power in any interaction, and more importantly as he bumps up against the types of people who are after the promises in "the devil's bible" it's very clear he is not actually part of that scene. He's not like them. He's neither a cultist nor a "satanist". And yet...

Reviews and critical reception I guess weren't kind, I still loved it though.

Yeah it's a great film. It's one of those watch it again and study it closer and it will unveil things.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Freaked is wonderful and woefully underrated.

The OG Super Mario Brothers film has a cover of Roxy Music’s Love is the Drug I think about once a month. The whole movie, much like Freaked, is primo 90s kooky. You can’t replicate it. I hope it never is replicated.

I might rewatch Radioactive Dreams soon, with the new Fallout series. Here’s a trailer in German because :shrug:
https://youtu.be/3pV1GcqOPfE

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Narzack posted:

who the gently caress says Event Horizon is a bad movie? Some people say the effects are bad these days but dude, I watch it and the loving everything is perfect. I still use the "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see." and "Hell is just a word. The reality is far worse."

Let's hit on some crap animated movies, like the bad bad ones. Don Bluth did amazing with American Tail and Land Before Time (the first ones at least for both) and I love All Dogs Go to Heaven, but everything else kinda was just....so bad. Titan AE was perhaps the best of the bunch, and even that was weird (and cut the explanation of how the bad guys could get erased, there should have been buildup over the movie, and aside from Nathan Lane's character, everyone else was pretty forgettable).

I remember my neighbor had like every lovely Bluth movie, and the kids didn't even want to watch the poo poo. Talking Pebble and the Penguin, which I liked most of the songs, and how loving ridiculous the bad guy was (voiced by Tim Curry) even if everyone else again, poo poo. I could not get into the designs of Rock a Doodle or the Central Park troll movie though.

Remember Swan Princess? Amazing soundtrack, and the best scene ever in any princess movie:

The prince has proposed to the princess, everyone in the ballroom is clapping, and she asks why he wants to marry her.

Prince: You're beautiful!

Princess: And what else?

Prince: .........what else is there?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There was a period in 95-96 where my Swan Princess tape was just on a nonstop loop. I haven’t seen it in at least 20-25 years??

Occasionally Thumbelina was there too, but the Beetle guy wigged me out a bit. Sometimes when I do my makeup I feel very Mrs. Toad, I have a matte pink that’s a dead on for hers.

Speaking of, finding out that John Cusack was NOT involved with the actual Romanovs was crushing. In hindsight, weird but bold that they even had a movie based on Anastasia, given the uh, actual ending.

Had an obsession with her as a kid as well, there were these series of books for girls about royal women, I read the Anastasia one constantly, and the Marie Antoinette one as well. I’m noticing a pattern, ask me about Elena Ceaușescu! Please tell me there’s a bad movie about Elena Ceaușescu I will watch it, I need it.

E: yes I liked The Great

teen witch has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 15, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's hit on some crap animated movies, like the bad bad ones. Don Bluth did amazing with American Tail and Land Before Time (the first ones at least for both) and I love All Dogs Go to Heaven, but everything else kinda was just....so bad. Titan AE was perhaps the best of the bunch, and even that was weird (and cut the explanation of how the bad guys could get erased, there should have been buildup over the movie, and aside from Nathan Lane's character, everyone else was pretty forgettable).

The Secret of N.I.M.H.
is amazing and I will fight you :colbert:

(Even if it deviates from the book :ohdear:)

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The Secret of N.I.M.H.
is amazing and I will fight you :colbert:

(Even if it deviates from the book :ohdear:)

When I was a kid, the scene where they mice were getting experimented on really scared me.

teen witch posted:

^user name

My wife has loved Teen Witch since she was a kid. We both agree Ryan Reynolds chose the wrong sister.

Cowslips Warren posted:

who the gently caress says Event Horizon is a bad movie? Some people say the effects are bad these days but dude, I watch it and the loving everything is perfect. I still use the "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see." and "Hell is just a word. The reality is far worse."

I remember my neighbor had like every lovely Bluth movie, and the kids didn't even want to watch the poo poo. Talking Pebble and the Penguin, which I liked most of the songs, and how loving ridiculous the bad guy was (voiced by Tim Curry) even if everyone else again, poo poo. I could not get into the designs of Rock a Doodle or the Central Park troll movie though.

Remember Swan Princess? Amazing soundtrack, and the best scene ever in any princess movie:

The prince has proposed to the princess, everyone in the ballroom is clapping, and she asks why he wants to marry her.

Prince: You're beautiful!

Princess: And what else?

Prince: .........what else is there?

I think it was kind of a flop when it came out, but I will be glad to know that more people like Event Horizon. Also, I like Titan A.E., but I agree, it could definitely have used more time in the oven.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Jumping Jack Flash. Penny Marshall's first joint starring Whoopi Goldberg.
"I'm a little black woman in a big silver box"

Oscar starring Sylvester Stallone as Snaps Provolone, Peter Riegert, Tim Curry, and Marisa Tomei.
includes this Clue throwback , "You're a butler now! Butle!"

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
Isn't Event Horizon a cult favourite these days? There are people out there bemoaning the loss of the full footage and still dreaming of a Director's Cut.

Also, the dress v. shredder scene in Jumping Jack Flash is fantastic. One of Whoopi Goldberg's best roles IMO.

My pick: Shadow Run (1998) (available online, and Ebay UK usually has a few copies)

Michael Caine has been in some poor films, but Shadow Run tries to meld a gritty heist flick, and an unlikely friendship between an aging gangster and a bullied choirboy (no! not like that!), and the result is...different, in the same way a Stilton and Nutella sandwich is different. Here it is in Caine's own words:

‘It’s a small English thriller, very quirky and quite strange. It’s the kind of thing I pick up on and if I’m interested I do it. I play a Cockney again, a real London gangster, but there’s a lot more to it than that. I started to read the script, it intrigued me and I thought, I’ve never seen anything like this before.’

I'm pretty confident no-one has seen anything like this before. Some highlights:

* The schoolboy finds a heisted van in a Herefordshire lay-by, blood dripping from beneath its rear doors. He stares long and hard at this disturbing sight before Caine's character, Haskell, pops out in a mask and bungs him twenty quid, telling him he didn't see anything. Of course he tells all and sundry and no-one believes him...which is odd, because the murdervan is right where he last saw it. I'm not sure if we ever find out if West Mercia's finest bother to investigate. Perhaps the van's still there to this day.

* Haskell and his posh crook boss, Landon-Higgins (played by the usually-reliable James Fox) discuss how their heist is going outside a snooty fancy-dress party. Fox sports a Grand Vizier-style turban, and I've never seen an actor so clearly wish he was literally anywhere else.

* Haskell is knocking on a bit, but he's still a killer who throttles people to death with his belt. One murder takes place next to a field with a cow in it, and in my memory, the film cuts at least once between Caine and his thrashing victim, and the cow chewing its cud. Maybe twice. I might be imagining this, but I don't think so.

I don't think everyone hates this movie, but only because so few people know that it exists. But it has near-legendary status in my family, and my brother and I still say 'The van is a computer!' at each other far too often.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

There was a period in 95-96 where my Swan Princess tape was just on a nonstop loop. I haven’t seen it in at least 20-25 years??

Occasionally Thumbelina was there too, but the Beetle guy wigged me out a bit. Sometimes when I do my makeup I feel very Mrs. Toad, I have a matte pink that’s a dead on for hers.

Speaking of, finding out that John Cusack was NOT involved with the actual Romanovs was crushing. In hindsight, weird but bold that they even had a movie based on Anastasia, given the uh, actual ending.

Had an obsession with her as a kid as well, there were these series of books for girls about royal women, I read the Anastasia one constantly, and the Marie Antoinette one as well. I’m noticing a pattern, ask me about Elena Ceaușescu! Please tell me there’s a bad movie about Elena Ceaușescu I will watch it, I need it.

E: yes I liked The Great

i remember bringing Swan Princess over for my nieces to watch. They grew up with Cinderella and Ariel, i got them onto Mulan and Avatar, but the Swan Princess they thought was hilarious for the scene I mentioned (they both hated the prince after that) and mocked the "go shopping for a princess" song. They did, and I did, enjoy how the bumbling friend sidekick actually helped save the day. And the frog who thought a princess kiss would turn him into a prince. Spoiler: it did not. He was still a frog.

I liked NIMH as an adult, but as a kid, I hated it. I hated the crow, I hated the whiny mouse kids, I hated the magic amulet. I also didn't understand why the rats were all males.

I remember seeing Titan AE and knowing that yeah, purple hair girl is totally gonna get with the Blonde Hero dude, but damnit, Nathan Lane's alien was just so much cooler.

Another rat movie: A Mouse and His Child. Apparently I watched this nonstop as a kid, but it's a living toy movie that I don't think anyone else remembers. I do recall the scene that always gave me nightmares, when a toy says he's too tired to work, and one of the rat masters literally rips him to shreds; you only see the shadows and hear the toy donkey screaming that he'll work, he changed his mind. It was all very weird hand-drawn animation as befit cartoons in the 80's, but it was not Disney or Bluth.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

One summer when my youngest sister was 5, she insisted on watching the VHS of Where the Red Fern Grows--or "Billy", as she called it--pretty much every single day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who are the rear end holes who think Event Horizon is a bad movie, I will fight them with fists and kicks

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh! I finally saw Young Einstein and I get the jokes now! It is genuinely pretty terrible but if I was a kid I think I’d like it far more. The music was solid though??

Pham Nuwen posted:

One summer when my youngest sister was 5, she insisted on watching the VHS of Where the Red Fern Grows--or "Billy", as she called it--pretty much every single day.
Good god was your sister made of steel? We read the book and watched the movie once in our fifth grade class and both book and movie turned into a room of children weeping.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

teen witch posted:

Oh! I finally saw Young Einstein and I get the jokes now! It is genuinely pretty terrible but if I was a kid I think I’d like it far more. The music was solid though??

I loved that movie as a kid! I hated the part where that guy was making pies with kittens, though. I always fast forwarded past that. :ohdear:

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Apr 16, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

I loved that movie as a kid! I hated the part where that guy was making pies with kittens, though. I always fast forwarded past that. :ohdear:
If it’s any consolation, I’m turning 33 in less than two weeks :negative: and even I got very nervous. I just don’t like kitties in peril! Ever!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cowslips Warren posted:

i remember bringing Swan Princess over for my nieces to watch. They grew up with Cinderella and Ariel, i got them onto Mulan and Avatar, but the Swan Princess they thought was hilarious for the scene I mentioned (they both hated the prince after that) and mocked the "go shopping for a princess" song. They did, and I did, enjoy how the bumbling friend sidekick actually helped save the day. And the frog who thought a princess kiss would turn him into a prince. Spoiler: it did not. He was still a frog.

Another rat movie: A Mouse and His Child. Apparently I watched this nonstop as a kid, but it's a living toy movie that I don't think anyone else remembers. I do recall the scene that always gave me nightmares, when a toy says he's too tired to work, and one of the rat masters literally rips him to shreds; you only see the shadows and hear the toy donkey screaming that he'll work, he changed his mind. It was all very weird hand-drawn animation as befit cartoons in the 80's, but it was not Disney or Bluth.

Mouse and his child is a stone classic book, in that litfic but for kids, Phantom tollbooth way.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

teen witch posted:

My dad loved that movie so I saw it many times as a kid, it's really genuinely terrible and I'm sort of amazed it exists

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

teen witch posted:

Good god was your sister made of steel? We read the book and watched the movie once in our fifth grade class and both book and movie turned into a room of children weeping.

I read it in the 4th grade, and I think it was for class. It absolutely broke me as a kid, and even now, in my 40s I can still recall being devastated. The sequel Summer of the Monkeys was much more light hearted.

Also, as a lark I decided to look it up on amazon, and it showed up on a list of Frequently Purchased Together along with Old Yeller and Bridge to Terabithia in some demented Childhood Trauma pack. Throw in Shiloh for good measure.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I need to get back to watching maybe bad movies, my letterboxd is sparse. I mean, I’m to perhaps watch far better ~films~ or ~cinema~ but I want my slop, I require my slop.

CzarChasm posted:

I read it in the 4th grade, and I think it was for class. It absolutely broke me as a kid, and even now, in my 40s I can still recall being devastated. The sequel Summer of the Monkeys was much more light hearted.

Also, as a lark I decided to look it up on amazon, and it showed up on a list of Frequently Purchased Together along with Old Yeller and Bridge to Terabithia in some demented Childhood Trauma pack. Throw in Shiloh for good measure.
I tore through the Shiloh books, and I vividly remember renting the film. I was so anxious because I knew I’d see a dog in (fictional) peril.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

I think when you're 5 it's a movie with lots of neat dogs, and then at the end Billy is sad. Fifth graders are twice that age and presumably have more sophisticated understandings of death.

As a kid I was never particularly affected by pathos in books or movies; I don't think I cried at a movie until I was in my 20s. Kid-me cried when our dog died, sure, but a story was just a story.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nashona posted:

Jumping Jack Flash. Penny Marshall's first joint starring Whoopi Goldberg.
"I'm a little black woman in a big silver box"

Oscar starring Sylvester Stallone as Snaps Provolone, Peter Riegert, Tim Curry, and Marisa Tomei.
includes this Clue throwback , "You're a butler now! Butle!"

Speaking of sly, I love the 90s judge dredd. I know it's not good, but it's got atmosphere damnit

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I adore the US theatrical cut of Blade Runner 1982, especially it's half-assed narration by Harrison Ford/Deckard. The half-assed-ness of the narration fits the half-assed-ness of the effort Deckard is putting into a job he got voluntold into.

Also, Liquid Sky. So much about that film is amazing.

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
O Brother Where Art Thou.

I like musicals so of course I like this one. I like the Christian songs in it but I'm not like a in-your-face Christian.

I like that the three main characters are morons and none of them are aware of it.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Cleuseau Remos posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou.

I don't know a single person who has seen that movie who dislikes it. With this confession, the trend continues.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oxyrosis posted:

I don't know a single person who has seen that movie who dislikes it. With this confession, the trend continues.

Pretty sure it also won a bunch of awards and received near universal critical praise. Anyway my pick is The Shashank Redemption.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

who tf is calling a Coen Brothers movie bad

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Rockman Reserve posted:

ive heard plenty of people say ladykillers is bad but i liked it. the coen bros cannot miss imo