Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I adore The One. A mouse strapped with C4 is released from a shoe, and explodes on cue with the disturbed guy going WAH-AHAHAH, and evil Jet Li goes on a rampage punching cars into the air while getting more powerful using Highlander rules by killing his multiverse clones.

It's like a really excited 12 year old told you about his movie idea while playing with his gi joes. it rules.

https://youtu.be/2w9eQ5FABko?si=xsCP70dfye4lkU70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I absolutely love Waterworld. Yes, the widely derided near-flop that only managed to claw back its notoriously expensive production costs on the home video and rental markets. Actually it's been slightly reevaluated in the decades since so it's not like it's really considered Hated By All, but still.

It's weird, camp, and basically a variation of Mad Max on water instead of the Outback. But damnit, it draws me in. There's something so sincere about it all, like say whatever else you want but I didn't feel that one single frame is cynical or looking to tick boxes and make safe money.

It doesn't hurt that I have always loved the sight of the ocean, the possibility that great expanse seems to represent, the isolation. I love the vibes, basically, same as how one of my favorite aspects of Populous: The Beginning is that most levels take place on mostly oceanic planets, and just building your little town before you go do God poo poo at your enemies can be really peaceful as a result.

Also Dennis Hopper is clearly having a blast as The Deacon, which never hurts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Waterworld was a movie I loving loved when it came out because I was like 10 years old

Then I hated the movie because I became an adult and started to develop a kind of sophisticated palette

Then I grew older and love the movie again because it's a great movie and tons of fun

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Tough and Deadly (1994).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEvGlp8JELg

Billy Blanks and Rowdy Roddy Piper direct to video action movie that has no business being this much fun. Billy kicks a thousand thugs in the head. Piper charmingly says lines like "I have a massive contusion fetish". A fuckload of things blow up. This is the only movie in the 90s that could give PM Entertainment a run for their DTV action money.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I have an eternal soft spot for Equilibrium. It's just so earnest and self-serious despite being utterly silly, and the action still owns. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfklP_tyagQ

You failed the assignment. You’re suppose to post bad movies. :blastback::slick::blaster:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Spring Breakers. I loved that film, but everyone I've showed it to has absolutely hated it. Like to the point they bring it up occasionally as an example of a terrible film I made them watch, and we watch a lot of bad films.

My partner also gave up 10 minutes into "Synecdoche, New York" and now refuses to watch Adaptation. :(

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Jan 21, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nettle Soup posted:

My partner also gave up 10 minutes into "Synecdoche, New York" and now refuses to watch Adaptation. :(

Oof, that sucks. Synecdoche, New York is definitely not for everyone, but Adaptation is!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Oh man, so many.

Baby Police
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cn3A1Yw4yQ

I spent a lot of time around film students and I think all of Nollywood feels like a Mecca for film students to make wild things.

Kin Dza Dza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtZOl_QxvY

Russian dystopia movies really have a whole vibe and I might love all of them. The length this movie goes to portray an alien world is pretty fun and I wish more movies with this budget would get this creative. This and A Boy and His Dog should be a double feature.

valor’s kids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4fOqjSwD0

What happens if a (pre)/teen makes a movie and goons help out? This masterpiece.

I think have sort of ascended to enjoying the idea of a movie more so than the movie itself.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i love Equilibrium, Waterworld, and Spring Breakers. those are all solid films. some flaws sure but on the whole real good

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I loved Krull as a kid, and bought it on DVD all these years later, and still loved it.

It's not a perfect movie. It's trying a little too hard with its vision or concept or whatever. And some elements seem a little derivative.

BUT there really are some fantastic elements in there, genuine moments of brilliance. The Beast is an enigmatic and strange threat, and its fortress is cool and weird and strange, and the way it moves around the world -- making typical assault impossible -- is clever and feels both grounded and hopelessly elusive as a threat. The Beast's silent forces are genuinely creepy, the way they scream piercingly while the... thing... inside them topples out of the suit of armor and falls into (not onto, into) the ground when killed is as unsettling as it is alien. Some of the effects and props are cheesy, but others are super well done and frankly inspired. Everything the heroes do costs them (or others) dearly, the stakes are convincingly high.

Come to think of it, Battle Beyond the Stars is a little like this, to me. Kind of derivative in concept, cheap/stilted in places, dialogue in some areas is eeesh, but there really are moments of brilliance in there. The way each of the mercs has a distinct personality and motivation, like the former "I'll take any job" contract killer who retired fantastically wealthy... but can't go anywhere or spend a dime because he's made so many enemies he's literally welcome nowhere and lives bored and alone on the planet/station he owns. The assassination attempt with the severed and re-attached arm is unexpected and harrowing. And the way the sentient ship plans to self-destruct to save everyone, but is damaged & not all there mentally, and as a result can barely manage the countdown... and when it goes silent as it approaches zero, you genuinely don't know whether it'll finish (did it die? Forgot what it was doing? Mind gave out before it could finish? The tension and sadness!)

Also I loved The Last Starfighter as a kid, but I haven't had the courage to watch it again and find out if I can handle the truth

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 21, 2024

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Also I loved The Last Starfighter as a kid, but I haven't had the courage to watch it again and find out if I can handle the truth

It holds up. Last Starfighter and Flight of the Navigator are maybe 2 movies I loved as a kid that still hold up.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Aw, that's good to know.

You know, I think the central concept of "video game is actually a simulator scouting for talent to hire/poach/kidnap for a desperate cause" would play even better today.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Aw, that's good to know.

You know, I think the central concept of "video game is actually a simulator scouting for talent to hire/poach/kidnap for a desperate cause" would play even better today.

Folks have been trying to get Last Starfighter rebooted or in a sequel for a while now but it stalled I think in 2022.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I'll gladly stump for Southland Tales, Super Mario Bros, and Spring Breakers to varying degrees.

Horror is my preferred genre, so there's way too many trashy flicks and endless sequels I'll vouch for to name here, but I'll say I genuinely enjoy the Jack Frost killer snowman movies and don't think there's any truly awful Jason movies aside from 9.

I've also watched Doom more times than is reasonable.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PuttyKnife posted:

I think have sort of ascended to enjoying the idea of a movie more so than the movie itself.

I never thought of it like this but I think I do better appreciate parts of a movie instead of just judging the movie as a whole these days.

My wife on the other hand :shrug: If something in a movie rubs her the wrong way, it's on a steep slope to being declared trash. If I think that there's elements I kind of liked despite other shortcomings I better just keep it to myself or talk about it with other people because hoo boy she does not want to hear it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nettle Soup posted:

Spring Breakers. I loved that film, but everyone I've showed it to has absolutely hated it. Like to the point they bring it up occasionally as an example of a terrible film I made them watch, and we watch a lot of bad films.

I can't watch Synecdoche, New York because when I was a teenager (a few years before the movie was made) I came up with the phrase "A synecdoche for Schenectady" and this offbeat motherfucker Kaufman extracted it from my mind in the night :argh:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Famethrowa posted:

I adore The One. A mouse strapped with C4 is released from a shoe, and explodes on cue with the disturbed guy going WAH-AHAHAH, and evil Jet Li goes on a rampage punching cars into the air while getting more powerful using Highlander rules by killing his multiverse clones.

It's like a really excited 12 year old told you about his movie idea while playing with his gi joes. it rules.

https://youtu.be/2w9eQ5FABko?si=xsCP70dfye4lkU70

Speaking of Highlander:
About a year and a half ago, I wanted to do an accent study for a tabletop character I was going to play, with a target accent of "confusingly pan-European", and I thought I should rewatch Highlander because Christopher Lambert's accent is ... strange. Highlander is a worse movie than I remembered it being.

Then I did something I'd never done before, and watched Highlander II.

Highlander II is amazing.

(To be fair to its reputation, the first version of it I ever saw was the Special Edition, which fixes up visual effects and cuts any references to the Immortals being aliens. I've watched a couple other versions, which include all the stuff about Zeist being an alien world, and it is indeed dumb.)

Cyberpunk dystopia of endless humid night!
The villains were moments away from winning, but hosed everything up in the first act! (And allowed the existence of subsequent acts.)
Michael Ironside running around with a grin on his face, joyfully murdering everyone!
Sean Connery repeatedly talking about GENERAL KATANA.

Seriously, if you've never heard Sean Connery say the word 'katana', check this movie out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJY1A9GiG6Q

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Highlander is total schlock to begin with, so I never really got why people act like Highlander 2 is some massive affront to the franchise. Besides, it has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzA4ABr-Lg

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

Highlander is total schlock to begin with, so I never really got why people act like Highlander 2 is some massive affront to the franchise. Besides, it has this:

If yall ain’t watched the Highlander Anime, you’re missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maIy6cf-Kg0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wild in the Streets is a great movie.

Imagine this: It's 1968. The voting age has been successfully lowered to 14, and Boomers parlay this newfound people power (fourteen or fight!) to elect a hippie as president. What follows is mandatory retirement at age 30, acid concentration camps and a lot of ridiculously over the top poo poo. This movie can't decide whether it wants to be a parody of the generations' (Boomers and Silents) perceptions of each other or a scary cautionary tale about not heeding the wisdom of elders, and that makes it all the more fun. I don't think Wild in the Streets is a particularly well known film but it should be.

The entire movie used to be on Youtube, so if you're interested check there.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

spring breakers is gonna be a criterion film in like 15 years.

i am a huge huge fan of jiangshi films like mr. vampire, and they are undeniably awful films, but so much fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRoK8I-ONf0

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I loved Krull as a kid, and bought it on DVD all these years later, and still loved it.

It's not a perfect movie. It's trying a little too hard with its vision or concept or whatever. And some elements seem a little derivative.

BUT there really are some fantastic elements in there, genuine moments of brilliance. The Beast is an enigmatic and strange threat, and its fortress is cool and weird and strange, and the way it moves around the world -- making typical assault impossible -- is clever and feels both grounded and hopelessly elusive as a threat. The Beast's silent forces are genuinely creepy, the way they scream piercingly while the... thing... inside them topples out of the suit of armor and falls into (not onto, into) the ground when killed is as unsettling as it is alien. Some of the effects and props are cheesy, but others are super well done and frankly inspired. Everything the heroes do costs them (or others) dearly, the stakes are convincingly high.

I love the idea of the race of cyclops sacrificed one of their eyes to see the future, but the only thing they can see is their own death. A good ol' Ancient Greek/Twilight Zone style "cursed by their own hubris" style ironic twist.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DrBouvenstein posted:

I love the idea of the race of cyclops sacrificed one of their eyes to see the future, but the only thing they can see is their own death. A good ol' Ancient Greek/Twilight Zone style "cursed by their own hubris" style ironic twist.

I kind of appreciated Krull for having a casualty count kind of befitting the nastiness of the bad guy; the heroes were just dropping like flies. Though I did enjoy one plot hole the ending generated; if marriage gave you a flamethrower hand, why couldn’t Liam Neeson’s character, who supposedly had a bunch of wives scattered around, project like Godzilla’s atomic breath or something?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Because 5000 years ago the ancient spirits of flame blessed the unions of any of pure heart BUT being of noble birth has, through the legacy of Amn-tur, brought only suffering to those who marry more than once and this has since generalized outward thanks to the prophesies of Yann-tahg :mad: I mean this is all covered within the first 100 pages of the extended universe GOD

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Shard posted:

We all have that one guilty pleasure movie. The one that in our heart of hearts know is bad but love it anyway. And no matter how many times you hear why people hate it you stand your ground and love it regardless. I wanna hear which movies those are for you and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxANWqgmsFc

Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows

I see your legitimate movie and raise you The Blair Thumb

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just wanted to say I learned about Kin Dza Dza from this thread, checked it out, and honestly found it weirdly compelling & kept thinking about it afterwards.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I just wanted to say I learned about Kin Dza Dza from this thread, checked it out, and honestly found it weirdly compelling & kept thinking about it afterwards.

It owns!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Because 5000 years ago the ancient spirits of flame blessed the unions of any of pure heart BUT being of noble birth has, through the legacy of Amn-tur, brought only suffering to those who marry more than once and this has since generalized outward thanks to the prophesies of Yann-tahg :mad: I mean this is all covered within the first 100 pages of the extended universe GOD

...I don't know if you're joking or not

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Asterite34 posted:

...I don't know if you're joking or not

If there actually is a Krull EU let it rest in blissful ignorance far from the sight of man, for we're probably not worthy of it anyway.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucLIxy23TA

Brian DePalma's Snake Eyes.

Maybe it was because I was a young impressionable kid when I first watched it, and it was one of the first batch of movies we had when my dad partially lost his mind and bought a LaserDisc player, but I love this film.

Nicolas Cage being Nicolas Cage, Gary Sinise being Gary Sinise. Thrills and intrigue out the arse.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Nettle Soup posted:

i saw spring breakers in the theatres 3 times

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Okay, so, I don't really know anything about ICP. I know they were a hit with the kids when I was in high school, and then kind of a joke for the next decade. I don't know if this movie is "hated," but it's got very low scores and a lot of people hate ICP just for the whole ICP aesthetic.

This movie is fuckin rad. Everything is self aware without being obnoxiously meta.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Furnok Dorn posted:

I don't know if I should congratulate or commiserate.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

credburn posted:

Okay, so, I don't really know anything about ICP. I know they were a hit with the kids when I was in high school, and then kind of a joke for the next decade. I don't know if this movie is "hated," but it's got very low scores and a lot of people hate ICP just for the whole ICP aesthetic.

This movie is fuckin rad. Everything is self aware without being obnoxiously meta.

Does this involve ICP assembling a literal posse of actual insane clowns, because it really should

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't know if I should congratulate or commiserate.

i wish i saw spring breakers in theatres three times

spring breaaaaakeeeers

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NoiseAnnoys posted:

spring breakers is gonna be a criterion film in like 15 years.

Furnok Dorn posted:

Sally posted:

i wish i saw spring breakers in theatres three times

spring breaaaaakeeeers

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i am a huge huge fan of jiangshi films like mr. vampire, and they are undeniably awful films, but so much fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRoK8I-ONf0

We watched a film the other day called Vampire Controller (2001) and it was pretty drat great.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The Stupids, me and brothers must have rented it 15 times. Still love it.

“2 wheels…4 wheels……8 wheels!”

“I’m the world’s smartest bush!!”

Oh and every now and then I catch myself humming “I’m my own grandpa”

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
My wife and I watched My Boyfriend’s Back recently and I was really taken because of my own experience being in a metaphorically dead relationship at the end of high school.

I was surprised to see the reviews all around hate it. I think people expect it to be a zombie movie, and it’s not really that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

Highlander is total schlock to begin with, so I never really got why people act like Highlander 2 is some massive affront to the franchise. Besides, it has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzA4ABr-Lg

oh my god the baby falling at the end I cant lol