Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I recently happened to look up The Ninth Gate, a movie in which Johnny Depp plays an unscrupulous rare book dealer who stumbles upon a book reputed to allow one to gain great power. I knew it was never really a hit, but I was a little surprised to learn it has very low reviews and scores. Apparently it's bad.

I loved it from beginning to end. He gets pulled along by circumstance as well as his own draw to the mysteries he encounters, and he always seems almost entirely out of his depth. He never has the power in any interaction, and more importantly as he bumps up against the types of people who are after the promises in "the devil's bible" it's very clear he is not actually part of that scene. He's not like them. He's neither a cultist nor a "satanist". And yet...

Reviews and critical reception I guess weren't kind, I still loved it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I recently happened to look up The Ninth Gate, a movie in which Johnny Depp plays an unscrupulous rare book dealer who stumbles upon a book reputed to allow one to gain great power. I knew it was never really a hit, but I was a little surprised to learn it has very low reviews and scores. Apparently it's bad.

I loved it from beginning to end. He gets pulled along by circumstance as well as his own draw to the mysteries he encounters, and he always seems almost entirely out of his depth. He never has the power in any interaction, and more importantly as he bumps up against the types of people who are after the promises in "the devil's bible" it's very clear he is not actually part of that scene. He's not like them. He's neither a cultist nor a "satanist". And yet...

Reviews and critical reception I guess weren't kind, I still loved it though.

Folks have a kind of a problem with the director more than the movie I think.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh, that makes a ton of sense. Duh

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can't say that I love The Big Hit, a movie that is about 90% bad and not even in a funny way, but I think about two characters from it a lot: the main character, Melvin Smiley, a professional hitman whose primary desire is to be liked by everyone he meets, and his professional acquaintance Crunch, a hitman who has just discovered masturbation and is completely obsessed. Crunch in particular is just a perfect jewel of stupid comedy in a movie that's mostly painfully unfunny.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Trace-buster-buster.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I had a fondness for post-apocalyptic films that used to pop up on the Scifi Channel back in the day. Waterworld was a big influence (still dig the soundtrack). I also liked The Postman, even if I preferred the book.

Neon City had its charms, even if it was basically Michael Ironside being a low-rent Mad Max taking an RV trip in the year 2053.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I can't say that I love The Big Hit, a movie that is about 90% bad and not even in a funny way, but I think about two characters from it a lot: the main character, Melvin Smiley, a professional hitman whose primary desire is to be liked by everyone he meets, and his professional acquaintance Crunch, a hitman who has just discovered masturbation and is completely obsessed. Crunch in particular is just a perfect jewel of stupid comedy in a movie that's mostly painfully unfunny.

Straight JACKIN saves you that mad cream.

I do love this movie and quote it a lot.

I said LANOLIN. None of that aloe vera BULLSHIT.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Grammarchist posted:

Neon City had its charms, even if it was basically Michael Ironside being a low-rent Mad Max taking an RV trip in the year 2053.

You have my attention.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

The Stupids, me and brothers must have rented it 15 times. Still love it.

“2 wheels…4 wheels……8 wheels!”

“I’m the world’s smartest bush!!”

Oh and every now and then I catch myself humming “I’m my own grandpa”

:hellyeah:

Only blemish on the movie is the way the pets are shoehorned in with very 90s CGI, otherwise it is immaculate.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I was going to say insane campy 1993 neon kung fu film The Heroic Trio with which I am obsessed but apparently it's a criterion film now so I guess not.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

hallo spacedog posted:

I was going to say insane campy 1993 neon kung fu film The Heroic Trio with which I am obsessed but apparently it's a criterion film now so I guess not.

It has a sequel! The Executioners. I caught it on TNT late at night in the 90s, lol. I wouldn't call either one a good movie, but they're both fun.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

atomicgeek posted:

It has a sequel! The Executioners. I caught it on TNT late at night in the 90s, lol. I wouldn't call either one a good movie, but they're both fun.

Apparently they're both on the criterion Blu ray so I really want it now. I've never seen the sequel but I've seen the first one so many times, it has so much crazy poo poo in it I just love it

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004
I have always loved Lord of Illusions and feel like it didn't get the attention it deserved. Also just learned that Scott Bakula's character goes on to become the leader of the cenobites in Hellraiser lore wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN1RToUAOQg

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked that one, too! One of those movies that I watched and enjoyed, but even though I don't remember it rocking my world exactly... I nevertheless find myself thinking about it every now and again and admiring some of the ideas.

I didn't expect the Hellraiser lore trivia, lol. Speaking of trivia, Clive Barker's original title for Hellraiser apparently was "Sadomasochists From Beyond The Grave"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mom and Dad, starring Nic Cage. I can see why it did bad in theaters but loving Hell it is good in a dark way.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mom and Dad, starring Nic Cage. I can see why it did bad in theaters but loving Hell it is good in a dark way.

I liked this one a lot too

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

As a kid, I LOVED the Warriors of Virtue, and it still holds a place in my heart despite how dumb it is. Basically, it's a ripoff of TMNT, but with ninja kangaroos that each have an elemental theme (including metal, for some reason) in a mystical vaguely-Asian inspired world. The plot barely holds together and the characters don't make much sense, but the world looked cool, and that's all I needed.

My poor grandmother even bought me the kangaroo warrior toys, and I have a sealed copy of the VHS lying around somewhere.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i dont know if anyone hates it, but other than the one scene everyone remembers, i doubt anyone really cares much about Deep Blue Sea. i however, love it and watch it at least once a year. an insanely good bad film

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh yeah, Smart Sharks!

I remember the researcher explaining her emotional motivation for Alzheimer's research, sharing the pain of how every day her dad would ask where his wife was, she'd have to tell him she died, and watch his heart break every time, over and over.

It seemed very cruel to me to not just say "she's coming home later/tomorrow" instead, but I'm not a genius researcher :shrug:

Some genuinely good scenes though, and smart sharks were a good boogeyman and not nearly as silly as it sounded to be at first.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah Deep Blue Sea is definitely fun trash. Good movie to put on with a few mates while having some drinks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh yeah, Smart Sharks!

I remember the researcher explaining her emotional motivation for Alzheimer's research, sharing the pain of how every day her dad would ask where his wife was, she'd have to tell him she died, and watch his heart break every time, over and over.

It seemed very cruel to me to not just say "she's coming home later/tomorrow" instead, but I'm not a genius researcher :shrug:

In all fairness to the Smart Sharks Movie, I believe that being honest with individuals with dementia about distressing facts was the accepted standard of care of the time, on the theory that it was more valuable for their long-term memory health to be oriented to reality? I think this has changed in recent years, though.

Anyway, ironically I remember very little about Deep Blue Sea aside from The One Scene, but whoever wrote and choreographed That One Scene deserves a medal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That was such a trash movie but I still love it, not only for that One Scene, but for the scene with the helicopter and the dude on the stretcher. In my mind, that's a perfect capsulation of how dumb trash but hilarious fun that movie is.

Also, just once I want there to be a scientist in one of these movies that keeps saying no, sharks in fact, do get cancer, and we don't know if they could Alzheimer's or not because we don't have tests for that.

Also, if you're going to breed insanely smart sharks, maybe go with something smaller that you can keep in a stock tank and not something has to be in the open ocean🙂

That said, some of the most terrifying animals we keep as pets are not terrifying because of their size. I want to see a movie with giant starfish and serpent stars that attack people. Especially the starfish that don't actually have a technical mouth and just push their stomach out to dissolve their food while it's alive.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hmm. yeah i hear all of your ideas on “plot holes” or “story inconsistencies” or “very stupid writing” and i choose to just get real mad irl that you would insult the perfect film, deep blue sea. my hat is like a shark’s fin!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hackers film 1995 posted:

hmm. yeah i hear all of your ideas on “plot holes” or “story inconsistencies” or “very stupid writing” and i choose to just get real mad irl that you would insult the perfect film, deep blue sea. my hat is like a shark’s fin!

i don't recall your avatar in the movie because that would have made it literal perfect.

HACK THE SHARK.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cowslips Warren posted:

HACK THE SHARK.

*Cheesy electronic 'bow-wow' sound effect emerges from tinny speakers*
(Jerks back from keyboard) "It's got watchdogs!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That said, some of the most terrifying animals we keep as pets are not terrifying because of their size. I want to see a movie with giant starfish and serpent stars that attack people. Especially the starfish that don't actually have a technical mouth and just push their stomach out to dissolve their food while it's alive.

In this line, there's the movie Slugs. It featured carnivorous slugs that attacked and ate people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

🙂

That said, some of the most terrifying animals we keep as pets are not terrifying because of their size. I want to see a movie with giant starfish and serpent stars that attack people.

James Gunn has u covered my dude

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

James Gunn has u covered my dude

nah that's some superhero movie.

Legit serpent starfish. Maybe some crown of thorns starfish that some idiot chops up to kill.

I remember watching the movie Orca as a kid, and thought it was pretty badass.

That Scene though is not quite as good as Deep Blue Sea, but as a kid reading about whales, I never understood why the crew was trying to capture an orca alive with a loving harpoon gun. That Scene, btw, was a bloody orca miscarriage with the fetus hosed off the side of the deck and most of the human crew freaking the gently caress out.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

nah that's some superhero movie.

Legit serpent starfish. Maybe some crown of thorns starfish that some idiot chops up to kill.

I remember watching the movie Orca as a kid, and thought it was pretty badass.

That Scene though is not quite as good as Deep Blue Sea, but as a kid reading about whales, I never understood why the crew was trying to capture an orca alive with a loving harpoon gun. That Scene, btw, was a bloody orca miscarriage with the fetus hosed off the side of the deck and most of the human crew freaking the gently caress out.

Is orca the one where the whale calls someone on the phone

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I rented Surf Ninja's so often as a kid. I loved that the bad guy was the dude I loved from Police Squad and Naked Gun.

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bOJs_z9M0

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shard posted:

I rented Surf Ninja's so often as a kid. I loved that the bad guy was the dude I loved from Police Squad and Naked Gun.

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bOJs_z9M0

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good one. Probably the funniest Rob Schneider has ever been.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

3 Ninjas Flashback

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Batman and Robin. I love 60s Batman so I appreciate every ridiculous pun out of Arnold’s mouth, every over the top moment Uma is in, the huge garish sets, the bat-nipples, all of it. I saw it three times in the theater (as I did Spice World). Just slather me in the cheese.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I don't think it's a bad movie but I love MirrorMask more than it probably deserves. It's got amazing visual design and a cool twist on the "running away to join the circus" thing. The story's not great but it manages to follow some kind of dream logic, just enough to make the movie coherent. I would recommend it to fans of things like The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth.

For a truly bad movie, I kinda like The Cell for its visuals. I think The Fall does everything The Cell does but better but it's still worth watching once.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

CordlessPen posted:

I don't think it's a bad movie but I love MirrorMask more than it probably deserves. It's got amazing visual design and a cool twist on the "running away to join the circus" thing. The story's not great but it manages to follow some kind of dream logic, just enough to make the movie coherent. I would recommend it to fans of things like The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth.

For a truly bad movie, I kinda like The Cell for its visuals. I think The Fall does everything The Cell does but better but it's still worth watching once.

The Cell is phenomenal, especially because of Vincent D'Onofrio. That man can do no wrong.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I would like to revisit The Cell. I remember being really let down by the film but I think I was focusing on the wrong parts of it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah the cells story and pacing is a bit eh, but yeah visually great. Just incredibly well shot. Oh and yeah Vincent D'Onofrio does some great acting as well.

The fall is better though.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

that creepy line “me got boy. boy me got” will pop into my head whenever i think of the cell.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
^^^ same

I'm definitely going to check out The Fall and MirrorMask.

Crimes of the Future bombed hard but I loved it anyway. I can see how it maybe tries to pull the rug out from under the viewer a little too... idk what exactly, but instead of multiple factions colliding at & over a looming pivotal point in humanity's history, it might just come across as jumbled and confusing.

But it's also highly weird and unsettling and if you manage to groove on its wavelength it's really wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not many people saw Crimes of the Future but I thought those who did mostly really enjoyed it. I know I and my mate who I saw it with did.