Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Shard posted:

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

Killer ending track, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shard posted:

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

Is this Dagon (2001)? Sounds worth a watch, that's the only one I found on a quick web search but I seem to think there was something more recent. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There was a recent adaptation of The Colour Out of Space with Nick Cage

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but I liked it. Dagon is a better Lovecraft adaptation though

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, that's it. Dagon is fairly old, but there's been a lot of Lovecraft and Lovecraft-inspired movies since.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks, I'll check it out. Always a sucker for creative Lovecraft adaptations.

Rappaport posted:

There was a recent adaptation of The Colour Out of Space with Nick Cage

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but I liked it. Dagon is a better Lovecraft adaptation though

I also liked it, partly because it really conveyed a sense of the uncanny; of reality fracturing. There's nothing you can do because the rug is just being pulled out from under you and you have no idea.

Tommy Chong's voice delivering the line "It's just a color... but it burns" was really good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think a lot of people have it as a guilty pleasure at this point but Southland Tales is amazing and terrible. I cannot get the scene where leslie knope and avon barksdale get blasted by Jay Sherman in front of Stiffler and Dwayne The Rock Johnson out of my head. Or the scene where Justin Timberlake gets really high, and the movie basically stops while he looks right at the camera and has a song and dance number to All the things I've done by the killers.

It feels like 2024 reportage, like when it came out everyone was all what is this absurd nonsense, now it's more Ah yes this accurately describes my lived reality

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lockout is a brilliantly terrible movie with guy pearce drowning standing up, as a brave man should

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sebmojo posted:

It feels like 2024 reportage, like when it came out everyone was all what is this absurd nonsense, now it's more Ah yes this accurately describes my lived reality

I'd love to try and watch it again, my immediate feeling when I saw it the first time was that he had just seen cremaster cycle and was regurgitating a lot of that back out for us but I'm curious if I'd still feel that way now

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hallo spacedog posted:

cremaster cycle

Oh man what a trip. My high school art teacher played this for us over the course of several classes. It is so perfectly pretentious and self-indulgent, the kind of work that people point to when they're making fun of contemporary art. But I love it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh man what a trip. My high school art teacher played this for us over the course of several classes. It is so perfectly pretentious and self-indulgent, the kind of work that people point to when they're making fun of contemporary art. But I love it.

I feel the same way. It's completely stupidly ridiculous and over the top and yet I love it a lot in a way and think about it frequently.

It definitely belongs in this thread too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hallo spacedog posted:

I feel the same way. It's completely stupidly ridiculous and over the top and yet I love it a lot in a way and think about it frequently.

It definitely belongs in this thread too.

The Isle of Man tricycle with the ballsack on the tyre gets me every time.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Southland Tales is awesome and speaking of The Rock, I also like Pain and Gain. At least glancing at RT, Metacritic and IMDB user data it's not hated, but I've never met another irl person that liked it. At least some of the people I've talked to went in blind thinking it was some The Rock/Marky Mark buddy comedy...which it kind of is, but got dark enough one couple I know walked out (lmao, what?).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Around 2000 I bought a book I now kick myself for giving away, a history of and interviews with influential special effects artists. I can’t remember his name but the guy that worked on Nightbreed spoke of his frustration how the film was advertised like any other stalker/slasher movie instead of being open about the monsters being the heroic characters. It was supposed to be a trilogy but the studio tanked it.
I’d be very into a Midian based trilogy and it might be time for me to check out more Clive Barker things. I love Hellraiser as well, I have what I call small Cenobite shrine in my living room, not by intention.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

sebmojo posted:

Lockout is a brilliantly terrible movie with guy pearce drowning standing up, as a brave man should

I'd seen that and forgotten all about it. Funny to read the Wikipedia page and find out:

* It's basically a Luc Besson French science fiction piece, just done in English with an English cast
* How it was successfully sued for ripping off Escape from New York
* How the cast are quoted being so serious in their pre-publicity: "what attracted me to this character is ..."

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

encino man is the GOAT

wheezing the juice

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

Is this Dagon (2001)? Sounds worth a watch, that's the only one I found on a quick web search but I seem to think there was something more recent. Maybe I'm misremembering.

That's it you can watch it for free on tubi

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Colour out of space was a movie I watched once thought it was great and said never watching that again. I can't handle what happens to the mom and little boy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Joey McChrist posted:

encino man is the GOAT

wheezing the juice

All you ever cared about were nugs, chillin', and grindage.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I too liked that Dagon movie when I watched it on the SciFi channel like 2 decades ago. Just go in knowing that it's really Shadow over Innsmouthy more than Dagony, I think. (never actually read Lovecraft; just been exposed to it via cultural osmosis but that's what I remember)

Maybe Del Toro will get to make his Lovecraft movie one day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I would love a remake of Dagon. Mostly because any of us might be envious of being that dude. Okay becoming a fish guy might suck, but you get to live a long time in the ocean and presumably can still live kinda on land, and don't have to pay rent or have a job?

It's like how Beauty and the Beast would have a line of applicants to live in the castle and make the Beast love them today.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Southland Tales is awesome and speaking of The Rock, I also like Pain and Gain. At least glancing at RT, Metacritic and IMDB user data it's not hated, but I've never met another irl person that liked it. At least some of the people I've talked to went in blind thinking it was some The Rock/Marky Mark buddy comedy...which it kind of is, but got dark enough one couple I know walked out (lmao, what?).

You know what, I did like Pain and Gain

I'm never gonna watch it a second time but it really codified for me the scorn Michael Bay feels for his characters. Just a movie full of lovely dumb assholes perpetually walking into their own garden hoes

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's also the pure distillation of his art, without the distractions of smashing cars and detonating buildings. Like, it's the most Michael Bay movie Michael Bay has ever made.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Death to Smoochy is a movie that most people I’ve discussed it with hate. More than one of them have complained “who is this movie *for*?”, which is kind of valid, it is tonally a very strange film.

But it’s for me. That’s who it’s for. I like this weirdly optimistic movie about being kind and principled against all kinds of overwhelming pressure and nihilism. Plus it might be my favorite performance from both Robin Williams and Ed Norton - Norton as a harmless goof and Williams as a psychotically violent shamed children’s entertainer, it’s fantastic.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

Death to Smoochy is a movie that most people I’ve discussed it with hate. More than one of them have complained “who is this movie *for*?”, which is kind of valid, it is tonally a very strange film.

But it’s for me. That’s who it’s for. I like this weirdly optimistic movie about being kind and principled against all kinds of overwhelming pressure and nihilism. Plus it might be my favorite performance from both Robin Williams and Ed Norton - Norton as a harmless goof and Williams as a psychotically violent shamed children’s entertainer, it’s fantastic.

Danny DeVito is a really underrated director, his stuff just oozes personality. I recently watched War of the Roses and his quirky camera movements and weird angles/shot compositions are fantastic, they add a fantastic touch of surrealism that makes everything feel just a tiny bit fantastical.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rockman Reserve posted:

Hah, I loved Death to Smoochy for similar reasons, so you're not alone. There's dozens of us!

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Mar 19, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I always thought Death to Smoochy was one of those films that everyone who saw it loved it, but just not that many people saw it. I never knew there were people who actually disliked it.

What the hell, it's great!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

dr_rat posted:

I always thought Death to Smoochy was one of those films that everyone who saw it loved it, but just not that many people saw it. I never knew there were people who actually disliked it.

What the hell, it's great!

I really enjoyed that movie and still will scream, “it’s a rocket ship!!!!” When my students try and sneak dicks into class.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Growing up I thought everyone my age loved Death To Smoochy. It's one of the best dark comedies because it's actually funny.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If it was an itchy and scratchy cartoon, it would be "Death To Poochie".

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Death to Smoochie is in the same camp (to me) as Cable Guy. Hilarious comedies that were really underrated at release that for some reason lots of people just didn't vibe with. I guess it was the same with War of the Roses and Throw Momma From the Train. Interesting that 3 of those were directed by Danny DeVito.

Oldstench has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Mar 21, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I didn’t watch Cable Guy until like 2021 and it kinda blew my mind, movie is good and weird.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't like Cable guy as a kid and I haven't watched it again. I might have to try it again to see how it hits now.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

cable guy was unfairly maligned for sure. so many quotable lines

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I bought and read the Cable Guy book way back in 1996, but I don't remember anything about it except for a dream scene. I need to reread it, if I can find the book.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm sure it's been mentioned before ITT, but another comedy that's objectively bad but I love, is Freddy Got Fingered. I don't know if there's any truth to the idea that it was Tom Green's big 'gently caress you' to Hollywood for being dumb enough to platform him, or if he was just having fun with it. But it sure is vulgar and has almost no rhyme or reason to it. He's a 28-year-old man who lives at home with his parents and has a half pipe in their driveway, yet he wins their affections (initially) over his more squared-away younger brother. There's no real way to ask this without being insensitive, but was he supposed to have a developmental disability, was this left on the editing room floor? I don't recall it being to heavy-handed with slurs but it was from the right (wrong) era of MTV comedies.

All I know is it sure is funny, and very quotable. I've said to security guards before, "It's OK, I'm here with a bag?" And certain friends and I will do back-and-forth Rip Torn impresions; "PROUD?" "PROUD." The animations, from the Ren & Stimpy-esque 'Zebras in America' to the stills the movie opens on, are also hilarious.

"I SAY 'HELSINKI', YOU HEAR 'GENEVA'?!?! YOU'RE FIRED, BOB! CLEAN OUT YOUR LOCKER AT THE CLUB BECAUSE YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before ITT, but another comedy that's objectively bad but I love, is Freddy Got Fingered. I don't know if there's any truth to the idea that it was Tom Green's big 'gently caress you' to Hollywood for being dumb enough to platform him, or if he was just having fun with it. But it sure is vulgar and has almost no rhyme or reason to it. He's a 28-year-old man who lives at home with his parents and has a half pipe in their driveway, yet he wins their affections (initially) over his more squared-away younger brother. There's no real way to ask this without being insensitive, but was he supposed to have a developmental disability, was this left on the editing room floor? I don't recall it being to heavy-handed with slurs but it was from the right (wrong) era of MTV comedies.

All I know is it sure is funny, and very quotable. I've said to security guards before, "It's OK, I'm here with a bag?" And certain friends and I will do back-and-forth Rip Torn impresions; "PROUD?" "PROUD." The animations, from the Ren & Stimpy-esque 'Zebras in America' to the stills the movie opens on, are also hilarious.

"I SAY 'HELSINKI', YOU HEAR 'GENEVA'?!?! YOU'RE FIRED, BOB! CLEAN OUT YOUR LOCKER AT THE CLUB BECAUSE YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

Where's your LeBaron, Freddy? don't see two LeBarons.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I bought and read the Cable Guy book way back in 1996, but I don't remember anything about it except for a dream scene. I need to reread it, if I can find the book.

Wait, what book?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Narzack posted:

Wait, what book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4812350-the-cable-guy

Weird

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before ITT, but another comedy that's objectively bad but I love, is Freddy Got Fingered.

One of the few films made purposefully bad that is actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

dr_rat posted:

One of the few films made purposefully bad that is actually good.

God drat but do I disagree.

Freddy Got Fingered was said to be the worst film ever, and not in a fun way, and this deserves to be said. There are some actors like Robin Williams or JB Smoove who you can let just do whatever in the scene and it somehow sort of just works. This script feels like it was written that way: give Tom Green a space to do Tom Green things. Nothing at all planned ahead of time. Just, here's your playground, go be funny. And he's not funny, not a single time. Not once. Not a goddamn one time in this movie.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Mar 23, 2024