Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

I was coming here to post this. It is not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. And I hate the "twist". But I love the overall concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My friend and I definitely only went to see Swordfish because of Halle Berry.

It was rated MA15 in Australia so my friend had the unfortunate luck to also be accompanied by his mum who did not approve of that scene and made it very clear on the drive home.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm just gonna post my review of the new godzilla film. I know it's not good and isn't scoring well but I loved it.

Shard posted:

Just got back from Godzilla x Kong new empire. Easily my favorite of the Legendary zilla films since 2014. It's way more focused and the journey is less all over the planet.

There is a non zero amount of wrestling moves in the film. Also it's just glorious schlock. One of my favorite parts was so absurd and wild that my son and I were cracking up in the theater. The team ups are amazing and great. There is a freaking tag team match at one point.

Also the villain is great. Just an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. It's just Scar from Lion King. He also reminded me of that kind of crazy portrayal like the one evil kid in Battle Royale. Just kinda lanky and lazy but loving nutso. Like a straight up mad king.

Also you just gotta accept things - there are things that may as well be magic that happen. And it was kinda funny when I'm seeing this destruction and it's like well that's a bunch of dead people. In the more serious movies that's treated with a lot of gravity. But it this they just dont really mention it and they don't even bother with a throwaway line like they somehow evacuated the entire area in a few minutes. But whatever.

The movie also ends pretty suddenly but not in a bad way. It was like this is what we promised and now it is done. No post credit scene either.

This is why Godzilla rules. You can get crazy movies like this and Final Wars or you can get deep films like the original, shin and minus one.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

It's maybe not a great film, but it feels like a good episode of Twilight Zone or the like - entertaining, clever, a few twists.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Mosnar posted:

I'm either surprised or comforted that Shock Treatment has not been mentioned. "Sequel" to Rocky Horror Picture Show, I find this movie to be an exquisite romp exploring the complete blurring of lines between perception and reality. Musical score is wonderful, and Jessica Harper (Janet) has one helluva voice. It's one of my absolute favourite flicks, yet anyone I have ever shared it with has summarized their experience as "the worst thing I have ever endured, I hate you forever".

Favourite music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcKwQMYzVCo&t=1s

Original trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGoUwRkT56k&t=1s

Fan made trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg-GOoG1cos

Full movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE0zN5c4XA8&t=1s

My wife looked at me in wide- eyed shock when we heard some of the music from it one day, and cried, "My loving dad used to go around singing this song!"

For context, her dad was a Southern Baptist preacher for most of our lives, though he left the church as clergy some time ago.

He very recently came out as bisexual, however, and I'm illustrating a book he's written about the power of the word no. :3:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DicktheCat posted:

My wife looked at me in wide- eyed shock when we heard some of the music from it one day, and cried, "My loving dad used to go around singing this song!"
Hopefully not this one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Hopefully not this one.

Don't even need to click.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Our annual bad movie month has started. As always, it culminates with us watching Food Fight!, an insane movie for freaks. This is the ninth year running.

The first movie this year was the Super Mario Brothers movie. That movie is a freakshow. how did this get made. why is it so horny. why is dennis hopper playing king koopa like he played Frank from Blue Velvet. It's horrible to watch, it's only loosely connected to mario. fantastic addition to bad movie month.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

The first movie this year was the Super Mario Brothers movie. That movie is a freakshow. how did this get made. why is it so horny. why is dennis hopper playing king koopa like he played Frank from Blue Velvet. It's horrible to watch, it's only loosely connected to mario. fantastic addition to bad movie month.

i never bothered to check out this movie before but now I'm intrigued

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Pham Nuwen posted:

i never bothered to check out this movie before but now I'm intrigued

If you DO check it out, try this fan edit. It is significantly better and includes additional scenes that help tie up some of the loose ends.

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs_202207

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

oxyrosis posted:

If you DO check it out, try this fan edit. It is significantly better and includes additional scenes that help tie up some of the loose ends.

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs_202207

quote:

Previously-unseen deleted scenes include the Mario Bros running afoul of the (probably Mafia-connected) Scapelli plumbing company, Koopa murdering a technician by de-evolving him into slime, and Iggy and Spike rapping about the overthrow of King Koopa at the Boom Boom Bar. There's more of Daniella and the Brookyln Girls. Most scenes are extended in this version, with a lot more of Dennis Hopper as Koopa, and the rest of the cast.
:sickos:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it's fun to go back and watch the one good mario brothers movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I also have a soft spot for the original Mario Bros movie. It had so much weird potential, the way it interprets some things from the game (1Up mushrooms saving Mario's life, Bullet Bill cartridges in the high-jump boots, etc.) was fun, and some of the original concepts (like how all the cars in the Koopaverse are powered by the ceiling like bumper cars) was legitimately cool.

It is a BAAAD movie though, yeesh. You read that blurb about how everyone knew it sucked and they all got drunk on set all day... and you can tell.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
OG Mario Bros Movie has been a staple of bad movie night. so loving absurd. just deranged. very quotable. the mario mario luigi mario prison intake scene is sublime comedy

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if this movie is considered bad or just not well known but I love Freaked. Saw it randomly on a Saturday morning when Cinemax was free for the weekend and I taped it onto a vhs. I was like oh man it's Bill from Bill and Ted! Love that guy. Then RLM did a review on it and I was reminded how much I love it. It's also free on youtube.

RLM Re:View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gk8cHCo4Y

Full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFfhcDmFJY

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Freaked is indeed an early 90's gem. Good time for that sort off the wall goofy experimental comedy.

Do miss that MTV experimental fun. Later comedies just never seem to be able to capture the vibe.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Freaked is my husband's childhood hauntological nightmare film that he thought he had fever dreamed up until recently

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it was a sad day when they stopped making movies and tv that people would just mistake for childhood fever dreams.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Anytime I mention FREAKED to someone who hasn’t seen it, they just don’t believe that it’s real.

When saying something in the affirmative, I still occasionally say “eye and eye” and it whooshes over everyone’s head. Sad times we live in.

It’s legitimately one of my favorite movies of all time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Willy's Wonderland is what FNAF wanted to be. I love how Nic Cage says nothing the entire movie. And when poo poo gets real, he doesn't panic or lose his poo poo or run, he breaks his loving mop over his knee and starts attacking the animatronics.

And Ding! Breaktime!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I didn't have high expectations when a friend invited me to see Willys Wonderland because I just saw "murderous animatronics" and kind of wrote it off as a cash grab riding the then-current popularity of FNAF. But I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Anytime I mention FREAKED to someone who hasn’t seen it, they just don’t believe that it’s real.

When saying something in the affirmative, I still occasionally say “eye and eye” and it whooshes over everyone’s head. Sad times we live in.

It’s legitimately one of my favorite movies of all time.

An alarming amount of my friends' movie references come from Freaked.

"Hello, Laughing Man? I need the shipping confirmation."
"Hahahahaho"
"Can you spell that?"
"Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ho."

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I saw the Super Mario Bros movie well before I ever actually played the games, so was confused when they were all colourful and cutesy and not about rear end in a top hat dinosaur people.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Creature posted:

I saw the Super Mario Bros movie well before I ever actually played the games, so was confused when they were all colourful and cutesy and not about rear end in a top hat dinosaur people.

I don't even know how that is possible. Different life experiences indeed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shard posted:

Maybe they're from the UK, and had to put up with the God awful tend of terrible micro computers and Euro-style platformers?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I saw the Great Giana Sisters movie before I played those so similar experience.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I had never played any of the Wing Commander games before I saw the movie.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My favorite old games industry story about Wing Commander is that right about around then (late 90s) Microsoft was making eyes at getting into games, and they paid Roberts a bunch of money to make the next Wing Commander game for them. Wing Commander was a big deal.

Roberts had always wanted to be a movie director and make a movie (which is why the Wing Commander games got progressively more and more movie-like) and apparently there was some "confusion" about what the money was for because instead of a new wing commander game for MS he used it to make the Wing Commander movie.

That was the common story and idk if it's 100% true, but it's definitely 100% ChrisRoberts.txt

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

oxyrosis posted:

I watched the edit the other day, and it's a great time as a Bad Movie as much as the original. The extra Dennis Hopper Koopa was delightful, as was the extra rest of the cast. The Iggy and Spike rap was funny. Not a deleted scene, but the booking scene at the police station remains one of my favorites. Whoever said it was sublime comedy was 100% right. The way the cop says "Marios" has been stuck in my head for decades. Every time I play a Mario game, at some point I hear "How many Marios are there between the two of you?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchwIoG9P2U

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I always forget that Mojo Nixon played Toad.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Shard posted:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe they're from the UK, and had to put up with the God awful tend of terrible micro computers and Euro-style platformers?

Australian. My first console was the PlayStation in 1997. All my gaming until then was entirely on PC. Somehow Mario completely passed me by.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I always forget that Mojo Nixon played Toad.

I've been watching it slowly while working and just got to that part... what a great little surprise

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wait til you see who plays Ortiz the dog boy!

The supporting case is shockingly good; for example the Cowboy is Sol from Deadwood, John Hawkes.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the fart guy is from Alex Winter's old sketch show The Idiot Box. He was also in that episode of Tales from the Crypt where the guy could hear his conscience voiced by Sam Kinison

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Question about Freaked for anyone who remembers seeing it in the 90s, did you see it on cable? VHS? It looks like it was only released to 2 screens here in the US weirdly

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I loving love Freaked! I bought it on DVD.

The props and make up in that are just superb.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Toys

I watched this movie with a few of my friends and they didn't really like it, I understand why but I can't bring myself to not love it.

Plot: Famous toymaker dies and instead of leaving it to his son (Robin Williams) he leaves it to his general brother (Michael Gambon) who in turn enlists his son (LL Cool J). He decides to MOTHERFUCKING INVENT DRONE WARFARE and recruit kids using video games. This movie was released in 1992.

Why I love it:

-The set design is surreal as hell. Most shots look like they come from a fever dream.
-Soundtrack is great. Has the superior Frankie Goes to Hollywood song on it. (Welcome to the Pleasuredome).
-Weird things just happen in scenes and the characters just roll with it. One scene has two characters drive through the factory and they stop to let toy ducks cross. No one mentions this.
-You think you know where it's going, but you really don't.
-Weaponized MTV.
-"Sorry folks, the general needed more room."
-The outdoor shots were fillmed on the Windows XP background.

Nobody, not even bad movie podcasts, talk about it. Wish more people would check it out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Question about Freaked for anyone who remembers seeing it in the 90s, did you see it on cable? VHS? It looks like it was only released to 2 screens here in the US weirdly

I saw it on on cable and taped it on a vhs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Corect on all points. This movie kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Toys rocks. I don't make a habit to watch it often, but I always have it on hand just in case someone is over that hasn't seen it and we've got some time to kill.