Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, I was just going by review scores I saw online & was surprised to see them low.
In retrospect it feels wrong to declare it bombed and I definitely don't consider it "bad"... but it's got low scores, and also I liked it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I liked Crimes of the Future. It felt like reaching into a big bag of Cronenburg and just nomnomnoming it

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Freejack is probably one of my favorite trashy 90's action movies. Sure, it features some truly awful performances and a plot that doesn't make much sense, but holy hell, is it just a lot of fun. Cars flipping and exploding at the drop of a hat, Mick Jagger trying to act as he leads his brightly-colored Mad Max-esque gang around, and a vision of a future 2009 that is truly strange. I can't help but love it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh poo poo, Freejack. It did have its moments, didn't it?

Two things I remember the 90s having was terrible cyber-movies, and "altered DNA" movies. The Relic was one of the latter but I remember coming out of the theatre with friends saying something like "I expected that to be terrible but I actually enjoyed it" and we all agreed (the ones who did not agree didn't admit it.) It was at that magical intersection of lowered expectations up front leading to a genuinely pleasurable watch.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BASEketball. I can't justify it, but I've watched it probably a dozen times since my roommate introduced it to me in college. Ditto Cannibal! The Musical.

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

15 years ago I'd have listed Lynch's Dune but it's had a well-deserved reappraisal over the last decade. Similarly the 1977 The Hobbit looks a hell of a lot better when you compare it to that crap trilogy we got not long ago (I hated it as a kid, but kind of love it now).

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pham Nuwen posted:

BASEketball. I can't justify it, but I've watched it probably a dozen times since my roommate introduced it to me in college. Ditto Cannibal! The Musical.

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

15 years ago I'd have listed Lynch's Dune but it's had a well-deserved reappraisal over the last decade. Similarly the 1977 The Hobbit looks a hell of a lot better when you compare it to that crap trilogy we got not long ago (I hated it as a kid, but kind of love it now).

1977 hobbit was always great wtf :mad:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

I mean I can see that now but back then I couldn't get past the elves. Or Smaug's cat face.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

hallo spacedog posted:

But yall. But yall. But yall. Do you know of the best LOTR adaptation?

1. Part 1: https://youtu.be/hZh7nwEUOeg?si=vu0NCnGHWRd4gQva

2. Part 2: https://youtu.be/tS6RZg_AqaY?si=TDflHiA2MRrqBcKt

Highlights: https://youtu.be/BVwypiLatbo?si=u10x1-pGUdZ7CX1F

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, I was also confused by that post. SSS is definitely a cult movie, but I wouldn't call it remotely bad? I'd say it's fully successful in meeting its artistic goals, which are weird and not exactly highbrow, but it's a very enjoyable movie and well executed for what it is.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

That was me and no else I showed it cared for it, unfortunately.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

PuttyKnife posted:

But yall. But yall. But yall. Do you know of the best LOTR adaptation?

1. Part 1: https://youtu.be/hZh7nwEUOeg?si=vu0NCnGHWRd4gQva

2. Part 2: https://youtu.be/tS6RZg_AqaY?si=TDflHiA2MRrqBcKt

Highlights: https://youtu.be/BVwypiLatbo?si=u10x1-pGUdZ7CX1F

I did it's ok but it's not the Hobbit

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if it's considered a bad movie but I love grave encounters. I love found footage movies I love that it perfectly mocks ghost hunting reality shows and I think it has some of the best portrayals of impossible space in movies

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
anyone else remember Rock And Rule? That was levels of WTF and perfection.

Also the 1980's Care Bear movies. The sequel with the demon that made a deal with the klutz girl at summer camp held a special place in my heart as a kid, because I had no physical ability either, but even as a kid I'd never make a deal with a red demon shapeshifter just to be a camp champ/good at running. The first movie with the demonic book was loving terrifying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd add Orgasmo and Team America: World Police. I'd put Parker and Stone alongside Penn & Teller and Mike Judge as people whose political opinions are terrible (and very obvious in their work) but whose work is still very entertaining.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I haven't watched Orgasmo since college, and I feel no need to revisit it, but I still occasionally reference Hamster Style.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I have seen The Lost Boys more times than is healthy for one person.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Ishtar: it's genuinely funny, and has terrible songs, but absolutely craftfully written by Paul Williams to be very deliberately bad.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (aka LXG): sure, it throws away everything great about the source, but the production design is fantastic - in particular, the prosthetics work for Mr Hyde is perfect.

Pixels: okay, 95% of its jokes aren't funny, it doesn't make sense, has bargain basement CGI and stars both Adam Sandler and Kevin James... but Peter Dinklage is so good as Not Billy Mitchell that I can forgive everything else.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1 posted:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (aka LXG): sure, it throws away everything great about the source, but the production design is fantastic - in particular, the prosthetics work for Mr Hyde is perfect.
I really enjoyed this one as well, as someone who's never read the source material.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Collateral Damage posted:

I really enjoyed this one as well, as someone who's never read the source material.

The original material is ok, but it's VERY Alan Moore-y and "of the time."

Which is to say, there's a lot of sexual assault and violence.

They recruit/find The Invisible Man because he's been raping teen girls at a boarding school and impregnating them.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

DrBouvenstein posted:

They recruit/find The Invisible Man because he's been raping teen girls at a boarding school and impregnating them.

yikes. i read the omnibus and do not remember this. granted it was almost 10 years ago that i read it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1 posted:

Ishtar: it's genuinely funny, and has terrible songs, but absolutely craftfully written by Paul Williams to be very deliberately bad.

:respek:

The terribly written songs in that movie are hilarious.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The original material is ok, but it's VERY Alan Moore-y and "of the time."

Which is to say, there's a lot of sexual assault and violence.

Yeah ...and he in turn gets raped to death by Mr Hyde.

To the film's credit, it also throws away everything terrible about the source!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

1 posted:

Yeah ...and he in turn gets raped to death by Mr Hyde.

To the film's credit, it also throws away everything terrible about the source!

Yeah. And I actually liked the inclusion of Dorian Grey, though I think one of the many background bits of info in the graphic novel that you could easily miss shows him as a member of a previous version of The League.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The movie is fun, kinda bad, but I fuckin love The Red Elvises and have seen them six times!

They're one of the funnest bands, but holy poo poo they NEVER PLAY in my area on a night where people are actually out. Monday night? All of eight people show up. It breaks my heart every time.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Has anyone said the Popeye movie starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duval? Because that is one meandering, brown rear end movie. Also its a musical for some reason and the songs are all god awful. But the casting is on point, Shelley Duval as Olive Oil was honestly inspired casting and the whole movie is full of these wacky cartoon sight gags. Its baffling and terrible and I love it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Love the sets too. For that matter and on topic, I decided to rewatch hook for the first time since probably the late 90s. People hate this movie why? Great sets, costumes, some amazing actors all having a ton of fun, it's awesome. The pirate hangout is probably the greatest movie set ever

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The terribly written songs in that movie are hilarious.

And I should have credited Elaine May as well as Paul Williams for the songs - especially when the film so perfectly depicts the collaborative writing process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-mQcPsPAjc

Debunk This! posted:

Has anyone said the Popeye movie starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duval? Because that is one meandering, brown rear end movie. Also its a musical for some reason and the songs are all god awful. But the casting is on point, Shelley Duval as Olive Oil was honestly inspired casting and the whole movie is full of these wacky cartoon sight gags. Its baffling and terrible and I love it.

Oh poo poo, yes, that's another amazing film (and I actually love the songs here as well).

The Sweethaven set, designed to look like the buildings have been constructed from broken ships, is genius. The songs are strange but catchy (I still sometimes find myself singing "Everything is Food" to myself when making dinner). The casting is 99% perfect - the one bit of casting that just doesn't work for me is Robin Williams - this was made at the point in his life when he was at his most frenetic and improvisational, but he's playing a very downbeat and introverted Popeye and mostly mumbling incoherently, not helped by his having to ADR pretty much his entire performance since he was mumbling a bit too softly and incoherently on camera.

I still love the film, though.

1 has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Feb 24, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
Pass the Ammo.

Tim Curry the televangelist was perfect casting and it's even a musical. When I was in elementary school this movie was so obscure that when I had to write a poem for homework, I just copied this song and got an A.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Batman and Robin. I love 60s Batman so I appreciate every ridiculous pun out of Arnold’s mouth, every over the top moment Uma is in, the huge garish sets, the bat-nipples, all of it. I saw it three times in the theater (as I did Spice World). Just slather me in the cheese.

Batman/Batman Returns are obviously the best of the 80s/90s films, but Batman Forever and Batman and Robin are the most rewatchable. Tommy Lee Jones and Uma Thurman go full ham and I love it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My friend and I watched Baseketball repeatedly when we were 12 or 13. Unfortunately we were easily influenced morons and picked up a few verbal habits that weren't so cool in hindsight.

I was going to post The Swimmer but according to IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes it was actually quite well received at the time. I don't know anyone who likes it!

Creature has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Feb 24, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

For how serious he usually is Tommy Jones loves to go full ham between Batman forever and natural born killers

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

A while back for bad movie night, we watched Dragon Blade and my god is it bad.

I love it so much.

https://youtu.be/lwMlpp8GIAI?si=gjMnn4T4T06Vrum4

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shard posted:

I don't know if it's considered a bad movie but I love grave encounters. I love found footage movies I love that it perfectly mocks ghost hunting reality shows and I think it has some of the best portrayals of impossible space in movies

I was curious and watched it the other night, I did like the way they handled that.

I discovered Amazon Prime video has like, tons of these movies and watched Hunter Prey which had its moments, actually.

Just loads of movies with titles like comic books from the 50s: FUTURE FIGHT, ROBOT WARS, DRONE KILLERS, SCIENCE GONE WRONG, or whatever that were probably pretty fun to make. They all have baller, eye-catching cover art of course.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Creature posted:

My friend and I watched Baseketball repeatedly when we were 12 or 13. Unfortunately we were easily influenced morons and picked up a few verbal habits that weren't so cool in hindsight.

You mean a tendency to say "Steeeeeeeeve Perry" when somebody is trying to do something involving hand-eye coordination? Yeah I've got that one too.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Pham Nuwen posted:

You mean a tendency to say "Steeeeeeeeve Perry" when somebody is trying to do something involving hand-eye coordination? Yeah I've got that one too.

i was gonna post this too haha.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

These are the best "bad movies" I've ever seen. Each one rewatchable again and again. Each one a sort of passion project to someone, each one a complete train wreck. But there's earnestness in it.

I think most of these are on Tubi and worth every minute.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

credburn posted:

These are the best "bad movies" I've ever seen. Each one rewatchable again and again. Each one a sort of passion project to someone, each one a complete train wreck. But there's earnestness in it.

babycat looks interesting…if you are a sex weirdo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1 posted:

The Sweethaven set, designed to look like the buildings have been constructed from broken ships, is genius.
It's still around too. I've never been there, but I've driven past on occasion while visiting Malta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye_Village

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Babycat is definitely a fetish thing, but it's making me picture a bunch of family-friendly pet films where all the animals are played by humans in minimal costumes and nobody ever comments on this, like how "Clifford" treats Martin Short as a completely normal child. Come to think of it, this idea would be prime for a Clifford the Average-Sized Guy in a Red Turtleneck Who Is Diegetically A Big Red Dog film.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Antivehicular posted:

Babycat is definitely a fetish thing, but it's making me picture a bunch of family-friendly pet films where all the animals are played by humans in minimal costumes and nobody ever comments on this, like how "Clifford" treats Martin Short as a completely normal child. Come to think of it, this idea would be prime for a Clifford the Average-Sized Guy in a Red Turtleneck Who Is Diegetically A Big Red Dog film.

Clifford is an insane movie. My younger sister loved it growing up so I've seen it way too many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

credburn posted:

Where is Bad Johnson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-0s_d2xlk