Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I loved Krull as a kid, and bought it on DVD all these years later, and still loved it.

It's not a perfect movie. It's trying a little too hard with its vision or concept or whatever. And some elements seem a little derivative.

BUT there really are some fantastic elements in there, genuine moments of brilliance. The Beast is an enigmatic and strange threat, and its fortress is cool and weird and strange, and the way it moves around the world -- making typical assault impossible -- is clever and feels both grounded and hopelessly elusive as a threat. The Beast's silent forces are genuinely creepy, the way they scream piercingly while the... thing... inside them topples out of the suit of armor and falls into (not onto, into) the ground when killed is as unsettling as it is alien. Some of the effects and props are cheesy, but others are super well done and frankly inspired. Everything the heroes do costs them (or others) dearly, the stakes are convincingly high.

I love the idea of the race of cyclops sacrificed one of their eyes to see the future, but the only thing they can see is their own death. A good ol' Ancient Greek/Twilight Zone style "cursed by their own hubris" style ironic twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Collateral Damage posted:

I really enjoyed this one as well, as someone who's never read the source material.

The original material is ok, but it's VERY Alan Moore-y and "of the time."

Which is to say, there's a lot of sexual assault and violence.

They recruit/find The Invisible Man because he's been raping teen girls at a boarding school and impregnating them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

1 posted:

Yeah ...and he in turn gets raped to death by Mr Hyde.

To the film's credit, it also throws away everything terrible about the source!

Yeah. And I actually liked the inclusion of Dorian Grey, though I think one of the many background bits of info in the graphic novel that you could easily miss shows him as a member of a previous version of The League.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shard posted:

I don't even know how that is possible. Different life experiences indeed.

Maybe they're from the UK, and had to put up with the God awful tend of terrible micro computers and Euro-style platformers?