Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I was going to say insane campy 1993 neon kung fu film The Heroic Trio with which I am obsessed but apparently it's a criterion film now so I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

atomicgeek posted:

It has a sequel! The Executioners. I caught it on TNT late at night in the 90s, lol. I wouldn't call either one a good movie, but they're both fun.

Apparently they're both on the criterion Blu ray so I really want it now. I've never seen the sequel but I've seen the first one so many times, it has so much crazy poo poo in it I just love it

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mom and Dad, starring Nic Cage. I can see why it did bad in theaters but loving Hell it is good in a dark way.

I liked this one a lot too

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

nah that's some superhero movie.

Legit serpent starfish. Maybe some crown of thorns starfish that some idiot chops up to kill.

I remember watching the movie Orca as a kid, and thought it was pretty badass.

That Scene though is not quite as good as Deep Blue Sea, but as a kid reading about whales, I never understood why the crew was trying to capture an orca alive with a loving harpoon gun. That Scene, btw, was a bloody orca miscarriage with the fetus hosed off the side of the deck and most of the human crew freaking the gently caress out.

Is orca the one where the whale calls someone on the phone

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pham Nuwen posted:

BASEketball. I can't justify it, but I've watched it probably a dozen times since my roommate introduced it to me in college. Ditto Cannibal! The Musical.

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

15 years ago I'd have listed Lynch's Dune but it's had a well-deserved reappraisal over the last decade. Similarly the 1977 The Hobbit looks a hell of a lot better when you compare it to that crap trilogy we got not long ago (I hated it as a kid, but kind of love it now).

1977 hobbit was always great wtf :mad:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

PuttyKnife posted:

But yall. But yall. But yall. Do you know of the best LOTR adaptation?

1. Part 1: https://youtu.be/hZh7nwEUOeg?si=vu0NCnGHWRd4gQva

2. Part 2: https://youtu.be/tS6RZg_AqaY?si=TDflHiA2MRrqBcKt

Highlights: https://youtu.be/BVwypiLatbo?si=u10x1-pGUdZ7CX1F

I did it's ok but it's not the Hobbit

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Antivehicular posted:

Babycat is definitely a fetish thing, but it's making me picture a bunch of family-friendly pet films where all the animals are played by humans in minimal costumes and nobody ever comments on this, like how "Clifford" treats Martin Short as a completely normal child. Come to think of it, this idea would be prime for a Clifford the Average-Sized Guy in a Red Turtleneck Who Is Diegetically A Big Red Dog film.

Clifford is an insane movie. My younger sister loved it growing up so I've seen it way too many times

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

i thought that movie was a fever dream I had.

Drop Dead Fred was similar. watching it as an adult, loving hell it is amazing how insane the mom is.

My dad loved both drop dead Fred and young Einstein for some reason too

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

the holy poopacy posted:

Well, she made the right call, it's the best Mike Myers has ever been as a movie lead.

I think Myers is (was?) actually pretty legit as a sketch comic and his movie roles succeed or fail based on how much they lean into that. Wayne's World with its frequent fourth wall breaks and goofy random interludes manages to hold onto that energy in a way that his more serious attempts (like Axe Murderer) do not. If he had gone the route of Monty Python and just said "ok, I'm going to do what I do best and just string a bunch of loosely connected but funny 3-5 minute bits into a barely coherent plot" instead of trying to be a serious actor I think everyone would have been a lot happier.

I think that's why the first Austin Powers is still pretty funny, it feels like a bunch of small bits cut together

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I saw this in theaters as a teen and the entire audience was cracking up.

I'm gonna nominate the Final Destination franchise, which my partner and I have been bingeing this week. Sometime around the middle of the second movie they just drop all the pretenses and stop pretending it's about anything other than elaborate teen-killing Rube Goldberg machines. The opening/closing credits of the fourth movie are a literal slide show of all the silly deaths in the franchise. It's loving hilarious and the wooden dialog and garbage performances really elevate things to the upper rung of the "so bad it's good" ladder. The fact that every movie is a beat-by-beat copy of the first script is just icing on the cake.

People love final destination though. I love the final destination movies.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The critics definitely didn't, the fifth movie was the only one to break 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. Point taken though.

That's fair, I know among myself and other horror movie people I know they are continually popular though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, probably one of the few times horror movies have given people a healthy respect for/fear of something that they should. First one also has someone slipping in the shower, death design or not, slipping in the shower, that's like one of the few times someones been killed in a horror movie by a way that it's actually really common for people to die (although normally slipping and hitting head or hip -big killer in the elder- usually not by accidentally hanging).

Don't piss off death/be safe in your showers y'all!!!

There's a healthy combination of splashy and ridiculous deaths and reasonable deaths in those movies

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Schubalts posted:

That loving kid who went out of his way to scare a bunch of pigeons had it coming.
Now I want to watch them all again

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ominous Jazz posted:

if big fat liar is bad why is Paul Giamatti there

We can do this all day

Edit: this is how I learned that Paul Giamatti was in a 2002 film with Rupert Grint called Thunderpants that has the following description:

"Patrick Smash is a young lad with an embarrassing problem: powerful, uncontrollable flatulence. Luckily his best friend not only has no sense of smell but is a genius who works out how to harness Patrick's power, first to win an unpowered flight competition and eventually to help NASA in a rescue mission to a failing space station."

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Mar 15, 2024

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sebmojo posted:

It feels like 2024 reportage, like when it came out everyone was all what is this absurd nonsense, now it's more Ah yes this accurately describes my lived reality

I'd love to try and watch it again, my immediate feeling when I saw it the first time was that he had just seen cremaster cycle and was regurgitating a lot of that back out for us but I'm curious if I'd still feel that way now

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh man what a trip. My high school art teacher played this for us over the course of several classes. It is so perfectly pretentious and self-indulgent, the kind of work that people point to when they're making fun of contemporary art. But I love it.

I feel the same way. It's completely stupidly ridiculous and over the top and yet I love it a lot in a way and think about it frequently.

It definitely belongs in this thread too.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Freaked is my husband's childhood hauntological nightmare film that he thought he had fever dreamed up until recently

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Question about Freaked for anyone who remembers seeing it in the 90s, did you see it on cable? VHS? It looks like it was only released to 2 screens here in the US weirdly

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

teen witch posted:

Oh! I finally saw Young Einstein and I get the jokes now! It is genuinely pretty terrible but if I was a kid I think I’d like it far more. The music was solid though??

My dad loved that movie so I saw it many times as a kid, it's really genuinely terrible and I'm sort of amazed it exists

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rockman Reserve posted:

who tf is calling a Coen Brothers movie bad

Hail Caesar was kinda bad

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Southland Tales is on Pluto TV. Man what an insane film. I love it for it's craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

nonathlon posted:

I wouldn't describe as a good film. But it's so absolutely, 110% into its own crazy idea, that's admirable. Everyone is so serious and the film never blinks at its own absurdity. It's amazing.

I agree completely - it ISN'T GOOD by any metric of the word good but it's very much its own batshit insane thing and I think that's amazing. I wish there were more films like that. Just giant weird sprawling insanity.