Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I loved Krull as a kid, and bought it on DVD all these years later, and still loved it.

It's not a perfect movie. It's trying a little too hard with its vision or concept or whatever. And some elements seem a little derivative.

BUT there really are some fantastic elements in there, genuine moments of brilliance. The Beast is an enigmatic and strange threat, and its fortress is cool and weird and strange, and the way it moves around the world -- making typical assault impossible -- is clever and feels both grounded and hopelessly elusive as a threat. The Beast's silent forces are genuinely creepy, the way they scream piercingly while the... thing... inside them topples out of the suit of armor and falls into (not onto, into) the ground when killed is as unsettling as it is alien. Some of the effects and props are cheesy, but others are super well done and frankly inspired. Everything the heroes do costs them (or others) dearly, the stakes are convincingly high.

Come to think of it, Battle Beyond the Stars is a little like this, to me. Kind of derivative in concept, cheap/stilted in places, dialogue in some areas is eeesh, but there really are moments of brilliance in there. The way each of the mercs has a distinct personality and motivation, like the former "I'll take any job" contract killer who retired fantastically wealthy... but can't go anywhere or spend a dime because he's made so many enemies he's literally welcome nowhere and lives bored and alone on the planet/station he owns. The assassination attempt with the severed and re-attached arm is unexpected and harrowing. And the way the sentient ship plans to self-destruct to save everyone, but is damaged & not all there mentally, and as a result can barely manage the countdown... and when it goes silent as it approaches zero, you genuinely don't know whether it'll finish (did it die? Forgot what it was doing? Mind gave out before it could finish? The tension and sadness!)

Also I loved The Last Starfighter as a kid, but I haven't had the courage to watch it again and find out if I can handle the truth

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Aw, that's good to know.

You know, I think the central concept of "video game is actually a simulator scouting for talent to hire/poach/kidnap for a desperate cause" would play even better today.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PuttyKnife posted:

I think have sort of ascended to enjoying the idea of a movie more so than the movie itself.

I never thought of it like this but I think I do better appreciate parts of a movie instead of just judging the movie as a whole these days.

My wife on the other hand :shrug: If something in a movie rubs her the wrong way, it's on a steep slope to being declared trash. If I think that there's elements I kind of liked despite other shortcomings I better just keep it to myself or talk about it with other people because hoo boy she does not want to hear it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Because 5000 years ago the ancient spirits of flame blessed the unions of any of pure heart BUT being of noble birth has, through the legacy of Amn-tur, brought only suffering to those who marry more than once and this has since generalized outward thanks to the prophesies of Yann-tahg :mad: I mean this is all covered within the first 100 pages of the extended universe GOD

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just wanted to say I learned about Kin Dza Dza from this thread, checked it out, and honestly found it weirdly compelling & kept thinking about it afterwards.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I recently happened to look up The Ninth Gate, a movie in which Johnny Depp plays an unscrupulous rare book dealer who stumbles upon a book reputed to allow one to gain great power. I knew it was never really a hit, but I was a little surprised to learn it has very low reviews and scores. Apparently it's bad.

I loved it from beginning to end. He gets pulled along by circumstance as well as his own draw to the mysteries he encounters, and he always seems almost entirely out of his depth. He never has the power in any interaction, and more importantly as he bumps up against the types of people who are after the promises in "the devil's bible" it's very clear he is not actually part of that scene. He's not like them. He's neither a cultist nor a "satanist". And yet...

Reviews and critical reception I guess weren't kind, I still loved it though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh, that makes a ton of sense. Duh

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked that one, too! One of those movies that I watched and enjoyed, but even though I don't remember it rocking my world exactly... I nevertheless find myself thinking about it every now and again and admiring some of the ideas.

I didn't expect the Hellraiser lore trivia, lol. Speaking of trivia, Clive Barker's original title for Hellraiser apparently was "Sadomasochists From Beyond The Grave"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh yeah, Smart Sharks!

I remember the researcher explaining her emotional motivation for Alzheimer's research, sharing the pain of how every day her dad would ask where his wife was, she'd have to tell him she died, and watch his heart break every time, over and over.

It seemed very cruel to me to not just say "she's coming home later/tomorrow" instead, but I'm not a genius researcher :shrug:

Some genuinely good scenes though, and smart sharks were a good boogeyman and not nearly as silly as it sounded to be at first.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cowslips Warren posted:

HACK THE SHARK.

*Cheesy electronic 'bow-wow' sound effect emerges from tinny speakers*
(Jerks back from keyboard) "It's got watchdogs!"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
^^^ same

I'm definitely going to check out The Fall and MirrorMask.

Crimes of the Future bombed hard but I loved it anyway. I can see how it maybe tries to pull the rug out from under the viewer a little too... idk what exactly, but instead of multiple factions colliding at & over a looming pivotal point in humanity's history, it might just come across as jumbled and confusing.

But it's also highly weird and unsettling and if you manage to groove on its wavelength it's really wild.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well, I was just going by review scores I saw online & was surprised to see them low.
In retrospect it feels wrong to declare it bombed and I definitely don't consider it "bad"... but it's got low scores, and also I liked it a lot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh poo poo, Freejack. It did have its moments, didn't it?

Two things I remember the 90s having was terrible cyber-movies, and "altered DNA" movies. The Relic was one of the latter but I remember coming out of the theatre with friends saying something like "I expected that to be terrible but I actually enjoyed it" and we all agreed (the ones who did not agree didn't admit it.) It was at that magical intersection of lowered expectations up front leading to a genuinely pleasurable watch.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shard posted:

I don't know if it's considered a bad movie but I love grave encounters. I love found footage movies I love that it perfectly mocks ghost hunting reality shows and I think it has some of the best portrayals of impossible space in movies

I was curious and watched it the other night, I did like the way they handled that.

I discovered Amazon Prime video has like, tons of these movies and watched Hunter Prey which had its moments, actually.

Just loads of movies with titles like comic books from the 50s: FUTURE FIGHT, ROBOT WARS, DRONE KILLERS, SCIENCE GONE WRONG, or whatever that were probably pretty fun to make. They all have baller, eye-catching cover art of course.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Did the film version manage to carry the central theme of Britain's heroes being completely indistinguishable from its monsters?

I know I watched it, but I honestly can't remember any of it. I guess it was a while ago.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The league's invisible man was an absolutely amoral sociopath, which does seem like it could be an extension of Hollow Man's premise of "not having to look at yourself in the mirror" kind of leading to a dissolution of identity and accountability leaving only base impulses, etc (but I think I remember Hollow Man suggested the invisibility formula did something melty to his mind, too)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I feel like if a plan includes the step "now everyone reads this book" then the plan is gonna fail.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shard posted:

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

Is this Dagon (2001)? Sounds worth a watch, that's the only one I found on a quick web search but I seem to think there was something more recent. Maybe I'm misremembering.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks, I'll check it out. Always a sucker for creative Lovecraft adaptations.

Rappaport posted:

There was a recent adaptation of The Colour Out of Space with Nick Cage

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but I liked it. Dagon is a better Lovecraft adaptation though

I also liked it, partly because it really conveyed a sense of the uncanny; of reality fracturing. There's nothing you can do because the rug is just being pulled out from under you and you have no idea.

Tommy Chong's voice delivering the line "It's just a color... but it burns" was really good

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rockman Reserve posted:

Death to Smoochy is a movie that most people I’ve discussed it with hate. More than one of them have complained “who is this movie *for*?”, which is kind of valid, it is tonally a very strange film.

But it’s for me. That’s who it’s for. I like this weirdly optimistic movie about being kind and principled against all kinds of overwhelming pressure and nihilism. Plus it might be my favorite performance from both Robin Williams and Ed Norton - Norton as a harmless goof and Williams as a psychotically violent shamed children’s entertainer, it’s fantastic.

Hah, I loved Death to Smoochy for similar reasons, so you're not alone. There's dozens of us!

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Mar 19, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked the way they did Zaphod's second head, I thought that was a good take on it and probably the least-silly way to give someone a second head (except maybe for Kuato in the 1990 Total Recall except I don't think conjoined-mutant-twin is the right way to go with Zaphod)

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My favorite old games industry story about Wing Commander is that right about around then (late 90s) Microsoft was making eyes at getting into games, and they paid Roberts a bunch of money to make the next Wing Commander game for them. Wing Commander was a big deal.

Roberts had always wanted to be a movie director and make a movie (which is why the Wing Commander games got progressively more and more movie-like) and apparently there was some "confusion" about what the money was for because instead of a new wing commander game for MS he used it to make the Wing Commander movie.

That was the common story and idk if it's 100% true, but it's definitely 100% ChrisRoberts.txt