Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Eclipse12 posted:

Hot Rod is one of the greatest comedies of the 21st century.
This is it

I'll lob The Day After Tomorrow onto the table, and will take this whole post to make the same point Roger Ebert made in one sentence:

quote:

What's amusing in movies like "The Day After Tomorrow" is the way the screenplay veers from the annihilation of subcontinents to whether Sam should tell Laura he loves her.

He nailed it, as always. The tonal shifts in this movie kill me every time:

[pretty consistently solid/realistic CGI of tornadoes shredding L.A. and people getting absolutely waxed left and right]
- Oh man this is a little unnerving, I would not call this a joke

[bunch of shamelessly stupid bullshit about the high school kids and Jake Hyllenhaal's puppydog eyes for Emmy Rossum]
- OK nm this is silly, I guess the whole movie is pretty silly

[classically-trained vet of Shakespearean theater Ian Holm cruises by and drops some really bad dialogue that is somehow rendered solemn and meaningful by his flawless delivery]
- Oh wow, now I feel sad/bad, he's right this is very serious

[hilariously bad science dialogue in the Wargames NOAA command center cheerfully rips any shred of credibility away]
- haha this is ridiculous and I am watching a dumb movie that makes no pretense of being anything but dumb

[wave of supercold wind freezes pilot dude solid in .8 seconds]
- oh man that is crazy and even a little sobering, perhaps I should

[running from the cold wave into the library, "quick burn more books! More books! Hurry!"]
- okay what the actual gently caress is going on here, pick a lane goddamnit

The end is unfiltered Emmerich where the camera gives us little four-second shots of every loose end - awww the dog survived! awww the old guy made it, that's great - awww nerdy kid got the girl, she's cuddling up to him in the rescue helicopter, what a happy ending - awww the dad w a friendly/fatherly grin at his son who is now a man, I guess everything's gonna be OK here for our plucky heroes pay no attention to the millions of corpses littering the Northern Hemisphere Welp, off to Mexico who has cheerfully accepted President Cheney's apology and has opened their borders to their good friends from the north

There are times when the whole thing feels like one of those flicks with two different directors in charge at different times, like one got fired so the other one took over? Except no, it's just one director and this was clearly his plan the whole time. And yet for all of that dissonance, the movie is undeniably entertaining. It's like a trainwreck but if the conductor was like, "what's the problem, trainwrecks are badass!", and was kind of right.

Couple of timeless quotes:

quote:

Physicist: The Canadians are reporting tremendous circulation moving from the Arctic. In Siberia, there's a low-pressure system unlike anything we've seen. And Australia just saw the strongest typhoon ever recorded.
Head Scientist: Hang on - are you saying these things are interconnected???
Physicist: We have to consider the possibility
goddamnit, I was so sure all this poo poo was just a big coincidence!

quote:

Vice President (obvious dead-ringer for Cheney): Mr. President, Los Angeles has been devastated by a series of tornados. On top of that, the FAA wants your approval to suspend all air traffic.
President (obvious dead-ringer for Bush): What do you think we should do
:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU