Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

The Stupids, me and brothers must have rented it 15 times. Still love it.

“2 wheels…4 wheels……8 wheels!”

“I’m the world’s smartest bush!!”

Oh and every now and then I catch myself humming “I’m my own grandpa”

:hellyeah:

Only blemish on the movie is the way the pets are shoehorned in with very 90s CGI, otherwise it is immaculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shard posted:

I rented Surf Ninja's so often as a kid. I loved that the bad guy was the dude I loved from Police Squad and Naked Gun.

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bOJs_z9M0

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good one. Probably the funniest Rob Schneider has ever been.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Debunk This! posted:

Has anyone said the Popeye movie starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duval? Because that is one meandering, brown rear end movie. Also its a musical for some reason and the songs are all god awful. But the casting is on point, Shelley Duval as Olive Oil was honestly inspired casting and the whole movie is full of these wacky cartoon sight gags. Its baffling and terrible and I love it.

:same:

It's so earnest. They didn't know how to make it into a good movie but they put 110% into being exactly what it is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh yeah, for new content: So I Married An Axe Murderer. Mike Myers sucks and it's a bad movie but I love all of Anthony LaPaglia's bits as the nice guy cop who really wants his life to be a hardass cop movie.

EDIT: does Empire Records count as a bad movie that everyone hates? Anthony LaPaglia was just a lot of fun in general

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Feb 29, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chrpno posted:

What? No. Come on. It's funny as hell with some memorable, unique crazy poo poo.

The jazz poetry. Woman!
Weekly World News = "the paper"
Head! Orange on a toothpick
Steven Wright
Piper doon!
The kindly, sensible chief
Hard hearted harbinger of haggis
and so on. love it

Everyone else is great! Someone just made the regrettable decision to put Mike Myers on camera for the entire runtime of the movie, which is generally a mistake.

I guess he's fine as the yelling Scottish dad, he's ok in small doses. That would have been a fine use of Mike Myers if they hadn't also cast him as the main character.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Penelope Spheeris, director of Wayne’s World, was basically given the choice: do the film Mike’s way and he will let you direct a sequel if there is one, or make the movie your way and forget about a return. She did it her way, the movie was amazing, and Myers said adios.

Well, she made the right call, it's the best Mike Myers has ever been as a movie lead.

I think Myers is (was?) actually pretty legit as a sketch comic and his movie roles succeed or fail based on how much they lean into that. Wayne's World with its frequent fourth wall breaks and goofy random interludes manages to hold onto that energy in a way that his more serious attempts (like Axe Murderer) do not. If he had gone the route of Monty Python and just said "ok, I'm going to do what I do best and just string a bunch of loosely connected but funny 3-5 minute bits into a barely coherent plot" instead of trying to be a serious actor I think everyone would have been a lot happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ladykillers was fine, it was a weird slow burn and not up to usual Coen standards but it had a good vibe.