Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BASEketball. I can't justify it, but I've watched it probably a dozen times since my roommate introduced it to me in college. Ditto Cannibal! The Musical.

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

15 years ago I'd have listed Lynch's Dune but it's had a well-deserved reappraisal over the last decade. Similarly the 1977 The Hobbit looks a hell of a lot better when you compare it to that crap trilogy we got not long ago (I hated it as a kid, but kind of love it now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

1977 hobbit was always great wtf :mad:

I mean I can see that now but back then I couldn't get past the elves. Or Smaug's cat face.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Creature posted:

My friend and I watched Baseketball repeatedly when we were 12 or 13. Unfortunately we were easily influenced morons and picked up a few verbal habits that weren't so cool in hindsight.

You mean a tendency to say "Steeeeeeeeve Perry" when somebody is trying to do something involving hand-eye coordination? Yeah I've got that one too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It was fine, the main problem is that a movie can't possibly capture the real magic: being 13 and reading the book for the very first time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

The first movie this year was the Super Mario Brothers movie. That movie is a freakshow. how did this get made. why is it so horny. why is dennis hopper playing king koopa like he played Frank from Blue Velvet. It's horrible to watch, it's only loosely connected to mario. fantastic addition to bad movie month.

i never bothered to check out this movie before but now I'm intrigued

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I always forget that Mojo Nixon played Toad.

I've been watching it slowly while working and just got to that part... what a great little surprise

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

Toys

I watched this movie with a few of my friends and they didn't really like it, I understand why but I can't bring myself to not love it.

Plot: Famous toymaker dies and instead of leaving it to his son (Robin Williams) he leaves it to his general brother (Michael Gambon) who in turn enlists his son (LL Cool J). He decides to MOTHERFUCKING INVENT DRONE WARFARE and recruit kids using video games. This movie was released in 1992.

Why I love it:

-The set design is surreal as hell. Most shots look like they come from a fever dream.
-Soundtrack is great. Has the superior Frankie Goes to Hollywood song on it. (Welcome to the Pleasuredome).
-Weird things just happen in scenes and the characters just roll with it. One scene has two characters drive through the factory and they stop to let toy ducks cross. No one mentions this.
-You think you know where it's going, but you really don't.
-Weaponized MTV.
-"Sorry folks, the general needed more room."
-The outdoor shots were fillmed on the Windows XP background.

Nobody, not even bad movie podcasts, talk about it. Wish more people would check it out.

The Worst Idea of All Time did an episode about it: https://shows.acast.com/worstideaofalltime/episodes/review-toys

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

New podcast. Cool. I'll listen to it at work.

They're fun, although doing one-off reviews is not their usual shtick. Their network's ads are 1) automatically inserted with no respect to the show content, and 2) utterly loving atrocious, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

One summer when my youngest sister was 5, she insisted on watching the VHS of Where the Red Fern Grows--or "Billy", as she called it--pretty much every single day.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

Good god was your sister made of steel? We read the book and watched the movie once in our fifth grade class and both book and movie turned into a room of children weeping.

I think when you're 5 it's a movie with lots of neat dogs, and then at the end Billy is sad. Fifth graders are twice that age and presumably have more sophisticated understandings of death.

As a kid I was never particularly affected by pathos in books or movies; I don't think I cried at a movie until I was in my 20s. Kid-me cried when our dog died, sure, but a story was just a story.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Slurs in a Clint Eastwood movie? Yeah, almost definitely. While the monkey movies are comedies, they are comedies from the 70s featuring Eastwood, so yeah, offensive language is almost guaranteed and also IIRC there are some rapey overtones. Maybe Cline Eastwood is not the star you want to follow.

High Plains Drifter blows way past overtones in the first 5 minutes to make sure you don't get confused and think Eastwood is playing a hero... Good enough movie otherwise but makes for an awkward start to movie night with mom & sister.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I still haven't seen The Room

edit: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuttyKnife posted:

I never felt more patriotic than when they fired up the old ww2 battleship with all the old veterans while AC/DC blasted in the background.

I think you mean the old WW2/Korean/Gulf War battleship because they stuck it in the harbor for 30 years and then reactivated it in the 80s. They slapped Tomahawk launchers on it and installed some of those old compact Macs which were still on the desks when I toured it in 2007.

OT sure but the Missouri is a loving cool ship.