Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I absolutely love Waterworld. Yes, the widely derided near-flop that only managed to claw back its notoriously expensive production costs on the home video and rental markets. Actually it's been slightly reevaluated in the decades since so it's not like it's really considered Hated By All, but still.

It's weird, camp, and basically a variation of Mad Max on water instead of the Outback. But damnit, it draws me in. There's something so sincere about it all, like say whatever else you want but I didn't feel that one single frame is cynical or looking to tick boxes and make safe money.

It doesn't hurt that I have always loved the sight of the ocean, the possibility that great expanse seems to represent, the isolation. I love the vibes, basically, same as how one of my favorite aspects of Populous: The Beginning is that most levels take place on mostly oceanic planets, and just building your little town before you go do God poo poo at your enemies can be really peaceful as a result.

Also Dennis Hopper is clearly having a blast as The Deacon, which never hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nettle Soup posted:

Spring Breakers. I loved that film, but everyone I've showed it to has absolutely hated it. Like to the point they bring it up occasionally as an example of a terrible film I made them watch, and we watch a lot of bad films.

My partner also gave up 10 minutes into "Synecdoche, New York" and now refuses to watch Adaptation. :(

I can't watch Synecdoche, New York because when I was a teenager (a few years before the movie was made) I came up with the phrase "A synecdoche for Schenectady" and this offbeat motherfucker Kaufman extracted it from my mind in the night :argh: