Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

credburn posted:

Okay, so, I don't really know anything about ICP. I know they were a hit with the kids when I was in high school, and then kind of a joke for the next decade. I don't know if this movie is "hated," but it's got very low scores and a lot of people hate ICP just for the whole ICP aesthetic.

This movie is fuckin rad. Everything is self aware without being obnoxiously meta.

Does this involve ICP assembling a literal posse of actual insane clowns, because it really should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I can't say that I love The Big Hit, a movie that is about 90% bad and not even in a funny way, but I think about two characters from it a lot: the main character, Melvin Smiley, a professional hitman whose primary desire is to be liked by everyone he meets, and his professional acquaintance Crunch, a hitman who has just discovered masturbation and is completely obsessed. Crunch in particular is just a perfect jewel of stupid comedy in a movie that's mostly painfully unfunny.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh yeah, Smart Sharks!

I remember the researcher explaining her emotional motivation for Alzheimer's research, sharing the pain of how every day her dad would ask where his wife was, she'd have to tell him she died, and watch his heart break every time, over and over.

It seemed very cruel to me to not just say "she's coming home later/tomorrow" instead, but I'm not a genius researcher :shrug:

In all fairness to the Smart Sharks Movie, I believe that being honest with individuals with dementia about distressing facts was the accepted standard of care of the time, on the theory that it was more valuable for their long-term memory health to be oriented to reality? I think this has changed in recent years, though.

Anyway, ironically I remember very little about Deep Blue Sea aside from The One Scene, but whoever wrote and choreographed That One Scene deserves a medal.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

Yeah, I was also confused by that post. SSS is definitely a cult movie, but I wouldn't call it remotely bad? I'd say it's fully successful in meeting its artistic goals, which are weird and not exactly highbrow, but it's a very enjoyable movie and well executed for what it is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I haven't watched Orgasmo since college, and I feel no need to revisit it, but I still occasionally reference Hamster Style.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Babycat is definitely a fetish thing, but it's making me picture a bunch of family-friendly pet films where all the animals are played by humans in minimal costumes and nobody ever comments on this, like how "Clifford" treats Martin Short as a completely normal child. Come to think of it, this idea would be prime for a Clifford the Average-Sized Guy in a Red Turtleneck Who Is Diegetically A Big Red Dog film.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

HungryMedusa posted:

And MST introduced me to Time Chasers. I ran across the unMSTed version of it on DVD and snapped it up right away. It's so drat earnest. Love me some Time Chasers.

I've never seen the unMSTed version, but it's hard not to love the time machine that runs on old-school floppies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The Room is best watched in its entirety, because a lot of its confusing allure is just how weirdly stitched together all its bits are. Half the scenes in the movie have no relevance whatsoever to the core plot, even if you ignore the scenes that are just shots of San Francisco, and there are tons of vestigial characters. It's worth watching just for the experience, and also because it's impossible to predict which bits of this crap will be hilarious to any given viewer.

Chrpno posted:

Oh! That reminds me of a fun stinker of a movie:

Daniel Stern, Ed Begley Jr, the drummer out of the Doors (seems like they wanted John Bonham but he was "unavailable") and Malcolm McDowell as aging rock star Reggie Wanker.

This movie doesn't suck, although it is extremely of its time. It's actually shockingly clever for a dumb '80's comedy, imho.