Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Who the hell is besmirching the Altman Popeye, the film that scared the poo poo out of me as a child? The soundtrack owns, it’s Harry fuckin Nilsson.

Anyway, I love dogshit films especially horror. But I do have a soft spot for lovely Lifetime films, Cannon, overly machismo 80s action films, some Troma, Full Moon Features, bad cyberpunk, Mary Woronov appearing as anything ever, it goes on. I’m a massive snob on Letterboxd and the worst person to ask “oh whsts your favorite movie”. I hate that I can’t get Tubi or Shudder here, I need my trash, I love my trash.

I guess for a film to recommend, here’s fiveish?

not horror
- The Hidden
- Stone Cold
- A Talking Cat?!
- Radioactive Dreams (if you like Fallout, run do not walk)
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (I’ve met people who think it’s garbage, they exist)

Horror
- Blood Beat
- Sleepaway Camp (a major plot point hasn’t aged well but has also been sorta reclaimed so heads up)
- God Told Me To
- Baby Blood
- Frankenhooker
- bonus: Nightbreed is criminally underrated and I drat near cried at the end of it, I genuinely think if it was released now it’d be a mainstream queer classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Around 2000 I bought a book I now kick myself for giving away, a history of and interviews with influential special effects artists. I can’t remember his name but the guy that worked on Nightbreed spoke of his frustration how the film was advertised like any other stalker/slasher movie instead of being open about the monsters being the heroic characters. It was supposed to be a trilogy but the studio tanked it.
I’d be very into a Midian based trilogy and it might be time for me to check out more Clive Barker things. I love Hellraiser as well, I have what I call small Cenobite shrine in my living room, not by intention.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also, nobody hates Buckaroo Banzai.
They exist and they give me the same icky feeling as someone who mysteriously has all bitch ex-girlfriends.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Freaked is wonderful and woefully underrated.

The OG Super Mario Brothers film has a cover of Roxy Music’s Love is the Drug I think about once a month. The whole movie, much like Freaked, is primo 90s kooky. You can’t replicate it. I hope it never is replicated.

I might rewatch Radioactive Dreams soon, with the new Fallout series. Here’s a trailer in German because :shrug:
https://youtu.be/3pV1GcqOPfE

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There was a period in 95-96 where my Swan Princess tape was just on a nonstop loop. I haven’t seen it in at least 20-25 years??

Occasionally Thumbelina was there too, but the Beetle guy wigged me out a bit. Sometimes when I do my makeup I feel very Mrs. Toad, I have a matte pink that’s a dead on for hers.

Speaking of, finding out that John Cusack was NOT involved with the actual Romanovs was crushing. In hindsight, weird but bold that they even had a movie based on Anastasia, given the uh, actual ending.

Had an obsession with her as a kid as well, there were these series of books for girls about royal women, I read the Anastasia one constantly, and the Marie Antoinette one as well. I’m noticing a pattern, ask me about Elena Ceaușescu! Please tell me there’s a bad movie about Elena Ceaușescu I will watch it, I need it.

E: yes I liked The Great

teen witch has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 15, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh! I finally saw Young Einstein and I get the jokes now! It is genuinely pretty terrible but if I was a kid I think I’d like it far more. The music was solid though??

Pham Nuwen posted:

One summer when my youngest sister was 5, she insisted on watching the VHS of Where the Red Fern Grows--or "Billy", as she called it--pretty much every single day.
Good god was your sister made of steel? We read the book and watched the movie once in our fifth grade class and both book and movie turned into a room of children weeping.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

I loved that movie as a kid! I hated the part where that guy was making pies with kittens, though. I always fast forwarded past that. :ohdear:
If it’s any consolation, I’m turning 33 in less than two weeks :negative: and even I got very nervous. I just don’t like kitties in peril! Ever!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I need to get back to watching maybe bad movies, my letterboxd is sparse. I mean, I’m to perhaps watch far better ~films~ or ~cinema~ but I want my slop, I require my slop.

CzarChasm posted:

I read it in the 4th grade, and I think it was for class. It absolutely broke me as a kid, and even now, in my 40s I can still recall being devastated. The sequel Summer of the Monkeys was much more light hearted.

Also, as a lark I decided to look it up on amazon, and it showed up on a list of Frequently Purchased Together along with Old Yeller and Bridge to Terabithia in some demented Childhood Trauma pack. Throw in Shiloh for good measure.
I tore through the Shiloh books, and I vividly remember renting the film. I was so anxious because I knew I’d see a dog in (fictional) peril.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished 1990s The Rookie, which is probably someone’s favorite but absolutely not mine. First Eastwood movie and perhaps another three decades until I watch another one. Maybe I’ll watch the monkey ones, I don’t know. Are there a cornucopia of slurs in the monkey movies?

Anyway I’m here to talk about Raúl Julia, who was the villain and finely dining on the scenery in parts. Christ what an actor, the versatility!

I might check out Tequila Sunrise even though Mel Gibson. I love Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, wish he did more PBS sci-fi, also wish there was more PBS sci-fi, what a weird concept.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Slurs in a Clint Eastwood movie? Yeah, almost definitely. While the monkey movies are comedies, they are comedies from the 70s featuring Eastwood, so yeah, offensive language is almost guaranteed and also IIRC there are some rapey overtones. Maybe Cline Eastwood is not the star you want to follow.

As for Julia, yeah he's something else. Isn't he playing a German in The Rookie?
Never really had interest in Eastwood outside of the usual “oh you loooove movies but have never seen a ton of westerns!?!”, and I figured, maybe a non-Western one would be a nice way to ease in. I’ve never sought them out but I mean, a podcast I love is covering it and Raúl Julia is in it. He could read the phone book and I’d have been there.

It’s not that there’s slurs in The Rookie, that I expected, it’s that there’s such an impressive variety of them, like they had a quota to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I rewatched They Live on Saturday and rereading the initial reviews from its release are baffling.

Like you’d be insane in 2024 to call it a bad film but 1988 seemed really hellbent on doing so? Or at least minimizing it to beefcake brawls and 50s-esque aliens?

Makes me wonder what is out now that’ll be seen as so ahead of its time in 30+ years. Maybe not Morbius.