Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
\/\/\/ The Red Elvises, who feature in that movie play in my town like twice a year, but they only do so on a fuckin awful monday night when absolutely nobody is out. I go to every show, but I'm only ever like one of eight people :(

credburn has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Waterworld was a movie I loving loved when it came out because I was like 10 years old

Then I hated the movie because I became an adult and started to develop a kind of sophisticated palette

Then I grew older and love the movie again because it's a great movie and tons of fun

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Nettle Soup posted:

My partner also gave up 10 minutes into "Synecdoche, New York" and now refuses to watch Adaptation. :(

Oof, that sucks. Synecdoche, New York is definitely not for everyone, but Adaptation is!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Okay, so, I don't really know anything about ICP. I know they were a hit with the kids when I was in high school, and then kind of a joke for the next decade. I don't know if this movie is "hated," but it's got very low scores and a lot of people hate ICP just for the whole ICP aesthetic.

This movie is fuckin rad. Everything is self aware without being obnoxiously meta.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I would like to revisit The Cell. I remember being really let down by the film but I think I was focusing on the wrong parts of it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I liked Crimes of the Future. It felt like reaching into a big bag of Cronenburg and just nomnomnoming it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

Whoever said Six String Samurai, I do love it (introduced me to The Red Elvises, for one thing) but I've never met anyone who hates it -- they either don't know it, or they like it.

The movie is fun, kinda bad, but I fuckin love The Red Elvises and have seen them six times!

They're one of the funnest bands, but holy poo poo they NEVER PLAY in my area on a night where people are actually out. Monday night? All of eight people show up. It breaks my heart every time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

These are the best "bad movies" I've ever seen. Each one rewatchable again and again. Each one a sort of passion project to someone, each one a complete train wreck. But there's earnestness in it.

I think most of these are on Tubi and worth every minute.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Next has a cool sequence where Nicolas Cage splits off into multiple people, each one representing an exploration of the future, and I thought that was a really well done execution of illustrating the concept.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

dr_rat posted:

One of the few films made purposefully bad that is actually good.

God drat but do I disagree.

Freddy Got Fingered was said to be the worst film ever, and not in a fun way, and this deserves to be said. There are some actors like Robin Williams or JB Smoove who you can let just do whatever in the scene and it somehow sort of just works. This script feels like it was written that way: give Tom Green a space to do Tom Green things. Nothing at all planned ahead of time. Just, here's your playground, go be funny. And he's not funny, not a single time. Not once. Not a goddamn one time in this movie.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Mar 23, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I never gave Shock Treatment a chance because I always heard it was like Rocky Horror but bad. I don't know why, but Rocky Horror is twice as good when it's good but twice as bad when it's bad.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When Swordfish was released I was a teenager. I've never seen it, but the only thing I remember about it is Halle Berry was paid extra if she showed two boobs instead of one, or something goofy like that.

edit: I've never seen the topless scene either, now that I think about it. I would look it up, but I can only imagine I would be disappointed. For how much attention it got, I expect some Matrix bullet-dodging level of impressive cinematography.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Narzack posted:

I will never stop defending Event Horizon. Also Mortal Kombat 97. The rest of Paul WS Anderson is poo poo. Except for Soldier, of course.

Did he do Soldier? God drat, I never thought I'd say this but Paul WS Anderson made three decent movies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember reading a review of The Ladykillers where it said that this is the second Coen Brothers movie in a row where someone accidentally shoots themself in the head.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

drat horror queefs posted:

I unironically like terminator 3

I unironically like Salvation. The only one I don't like is Genysis. I think otherwise they're all real solid, if flawed installments.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
None of them are bad because they all contain some pretty rad scenes that make it worth sitting through the not good stuff. They are movies that are less than the sum of their parts (?)

Tiggum posted:

Probably saw them as children and never rewatched them as adults. You get the same thing with the Star Wars prequels.

But as an adult I realize the prequels are really good (maybe not so much Episode 2) :confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

PuttyKnife posted:

But how do you feel about the live action Fist of the North Star because I love it a lot.

https://youtu.be/e0LLHDDgQns?si=tyMYXPyv4Mxn4ZBv

oh my god I have to watch this

The only experience I've had with Fist of the North Star was the NES game. In it, you could kick bad guys, which would make them fly away, or you would punch them, which would make them explode. I never understood why punching makes them explode, but I'm glad to see it seems to come from the source material and wasn't just... weird NES weirdness!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I think you could replace Liev Schrieber with a potato and it wouldn't be immediately obvious.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

I still haven't seen The Room

edit: a shameful snipe

I just watched it the other day; Greg Sistero (the fellow who plays Mark) introduced it and talked a little bit about it, then we saw it in a theatre. I loved the movie when I saw it on my own, but the theater experience is definitely the way to go. One of the best movies I've ever seen because of that. A room full of people who are in on the joke, and genuinely love the movie for what it is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DontMockMySmock posted:

the best way to experience "The Room" is to watch a 10-20 minute highlight reel on youtube, then watch "The Disaster Artist". "The Room" has just too much cringe and boring, not enough funny overall.

God drat but you are wrong as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

That kind of reminds me of my experience with Cats. Just absolutely terrible, and the theater was filled with people (including myself) who knew what to expect (an abomination). I can't imagine how boring & awkward it would be to watch it by myself on my laptop/TV.

I also had a great experience at Cats. The entire theater did -- except for one poor lady who shushed us (there were at least a dozen of us) and later was heard mumbling, "It's NOT funny"