Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah Deep Blue Sea is definitely fun trash. Good movie to put on with a few mates while having some drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah the cells story and pacing is a bit eh, but yeah visually great. Just incredibly well shot. Oh and yeah Vincent D'Onofrio does some great acting as well.

The fall is better though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not many people saw Crimes of the Future but I thought those who did mostly really enjoyed it. I know I and my mate who I saw it with did.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tumble posted:

They gave Dan Ackroyd a decent budget and you can allllll that money made it’s way on to screen. The sets and props that he had built are bizarre and often stupid, but a ton of effort went into the production. That effort didn’t quite produce a good movie, but there is so much weird poo poo going on it that it’s still an entertaining watch in certain states of mind.

Apparently the production crew loved it as Ackroyd was very collaborative and they all had great fun going wild. He also made sure to hire very talented production people, so yeah the sets are amazing, and fantastically weird. It's great.

Other than Chevy chase being his normal rear end in a top hat self, apparently just great set to work on for cast and crew. Glad they all had fun and a chance to go all out!

Pity it didn't -very understandably- do better. Would of been great to see Ackroyd do some more blank check movies during the 90's just to see what bizarreness he could come up with unsupervised.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Mar 5, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phy posted:

I spent some formative years of my childhood in northern BC and I always felt like FD2 did the world a service by instilling a very healthy respect for/fear of logging trucks

Yeah, probably one of the few times horror movies have given people a healthy respect for/fear of something that they should. First one also has someone slipping in the shower, death design or not, slipping in the shower, that's like one of the few times someones been killed in a horror movie by a way that it's actually really common for people to die (although normally slipping and hitting head or hip -big killer in the elder- usually not by accidentally hanging).

Don't piss off death/be safe in your showers y'all!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I always thought Death to Smoochy was one of those films that everyone who saw it loved it, but just not that many people saw it. I never knew there were people who actually disliked it.

What the hell, it's great!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before ITT, but another comedy that's objectively bad but I love, is Freddy Got Fingered.

One of the few films made purposefully bad that is actually good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I refuse to believe that Swordfish is a hated movie. Come on, John Travolta giving supervillain speeches every 10 minutes, Paul Oakenfold all over the soundtrack (one song sampled Grease!), Halle Berry? It's great.
It's writing is crap and nothing makes all that much sense, but it is an enjoyable bad movie. It's pretty fun how hard and tries and fails to be super cool.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it's fun to go back and watch the one good mario brothers movie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Freaked is indeed an early 90's gem. Good time for that sort off the wall goofy experimental comedy.

Do miss that MTV experimental fun. Later comedies just never seem to be able to capture the vibe.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it was a sad day when they stopped making movies and tv that people would just mistake for childhood fever dreams.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

Did he do Soldier? God drat, I never thought I'd say this but Paul WS Anderson made three decent movies.

Yeah seems 90's Paul WS Anderson was actually a pretty entertaining shlocky director. Then the 2000's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oxyrosis posted:

I don't know a single person who has seen that movie who dislikes it. With this confession, the trend continues.

Pretty sure it also won a bunch of awards and received near universal critical praise. Anyway my pick is The Shashank Redemption.