Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

sebmojo posted:

Lockout is a brilliantly terrible movie with guy pearce drowning standing up, as a brave man should

I'd seen that and forgotten all about it. Funny to read the Wikipedia page and find out:

* It's basically a Luc Besson French science fiction piece, just done in English with an English cast
* How it was successfully sued for ripping off Escape from New York
* How the cast are quoted being so serious in their pre-publicity: "what attracted me to this character is ..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I refuse to believe that Swordfish is a hated movie. Come on, John Travolta giving supervillain speeches every 10 minutes, Paul Oakenfold all over the soundtrack (one song sampled Grease!), Halle Berry? It's great.

Also, nobody hates Buckaroo Banzai.

I could understand someone who doesn't _get_ Buckaroo Banzai, because there's a lot to get. The first time I watched it I missed the first 10 minutes and assumed that it contained some important explanatory material. Nope. Which is what makes Buckaroo Banzai great, the way it sticks to its own crazy universe without winking.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

It's maybe not a great film, but it feels like a good episode of Twilight Zone or the like - entertaining, clever, a few twists.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Hail Caesar was kinda bad

Totally in line with the thread title, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't strongly recommend it to anyone, but it was a good watch. About the worst I could day is that it's a bit minor. Ditto for Intolerable Cruelty.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Thanks to the goons recommending Radioactive Dreams! I watched it, and it really is the perfect "bad" film.

The story is insane, the tone is all over the place, the music is ridiculous. But it does that thing that only really good Bad Films do: it never bored me and never stopped surprising me with some new madness. Would recommend, would rewatch.

It's true that there are a lot of "Bad Films" that are just bad. I'd say that most of the classic bad films - Ed Wood's output, for example - are just boring and tedious. I think it was Nathan Rabin who used to talk about "failures" and "fiascos" where the latter had a massive disconnect between ambition and skill, making for a truly Bad Film.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

teen witch posted:

I rewatched They Live on Saturday and rereading the initial reviews from its release are baffling.

Like you’d be insane in 2024 to call it a bad film but 1988 seemed really hellbent on doing so? Or at least minimizing it to beefcake brawls and 50s-esque aliens?

Makes me wonder what is out now that’ll be seen as so ahead of its time in 30+ years. Maybe not Morbius.

They Live is a surprisingly deep film. It trawls through issues like capitalism, media, collaboration, social classes. And then there's a 10 minute fist flight.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
When I saw it the first time, a friend got up during the fight scene, went to the bathroom, ordered some food, had a drink, came back, and the fight scene is still going ....

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Chrpno posted:

Oh! That reminds me of a fun stinker of a movie:

Daniel Stern, Ed Begley Jr, the drummer out of the Doors (seems like they wanted John Bonham but he was "unavailable") and Malcolm McDowell as aging rock star Reggie Wanker.

That's a great music ensemble film. We argued about who Reggie Wanker is meant to be. David Bowie? Marc Bolan?

It also features Lou Reed as the enigmatic musician "Auden" who works the entire film traveling to the gig in a taxi, writing a song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Southland Tales is on Pluto TV. Man what an insane film. I love it for it's craziness.

I wouldn't describe as a good film. But it's so absolutely, 110% into its own crazy idea, that's admirable. Everyone is so serious and the film never blinks at its own absurdity. It's amazing.