Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Isomermaid posted:

Xanadu (1980) was the film that was supposed to capitalise on the success of Grease and propel Olivia Newton John to mega-stardom by cashing in on the hip new dance sensation, Roller-Disco. But it took so long to pull together they were still rewriting the script when it came to shooting and only kept ahead by locking Joel Silver in a room with a load of cocaine and not letting him out until they had pages to shoot. By the time it came out the craze had long passed, nobody could work out why Gene Kelly also appeared in the film, the whole thing was barely held together camp nonsense and was instantly killed by the one word review "Xana-don't". It later went on to inspire the creation of the Razzies. Possibly BECAUSE it was so notorious the tie in 10 inch promotional picture disk of the main theme is now one of the rarest and most expensive records on the collector market.

But, but. It wears it heart on its sleeve, any time Olivia Newton John is performing she just radiates joy, the ELO-provided soundtrack is a time capsule of a less cynical era, and who doesn't love camp nonsense? Well, lots of people. But I saw this when I was 6 and fell in love with it, believed in muses, and even though on a rewatch I can't defend it on just about any level, I still kinda love it. It's trash, but I love it.
Described often as "the movie that killed Gene Kelley" and probably the best most apt description I've heard is "so bad, it's mesmerizing."

I also own it on DVD and have the soundtrack. Which fuckin' slaps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCm0_93WCCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU