Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

Dreamcatcher is a movie that people really hate but I absolutely love! Everything about it is just such a perfect storm of bad that it wraps around to being hilarious. Bizarre acting choices, calling the aliens 'poo poo weasels', Morgan Freeman clearly not giving a poo poo; it's all so, so good.

I saw this in theaters as a teen and the entire audience was cracking up.

I'm gonna nominate the Final Destination franchise, which my partner and I have been bingeing this week. Sometime around the middle of the second movie they just drop all the pretenses and stop pretending it's about anything other than elaborate teen-killing Rube Goldberg machines. The opening/closing credits of the fourth movie are a literal slide show of all the silly deaths in the franchise. It's loving hilarious and the wooden dialog and garbage performances really elevate things to the upper rung of the "so bad it's good" ladder. The fact that every movie is a beat-by-beat copy of the first script is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

People love final destination though. I love the final destination movies.

The critics definitely didn't, the fifth movie was the only one to break 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. Point taken though.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

i haven’t seen it since it was in theaters but The Village was honestly mostly fine? i knew the twist basically from the first ten minutes because it was a ripoff of some children’s book i read a summary of in a Scholastic book order catalog

idk, the cinematography seemed pretty rad and knowing the twist made a lot of little things jump out more

M. Night makes a lot of good-looking bad movies. Lady in the Water is probably the best example, imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

He needed a paycheck.

Lady in the Water is interesting only because of M. Night's huge ego. He plays an author who will publish a work so profound and deep that he will lead humanity into a new age of peace.

Hands down the biggest lol of the film for me, with any shot featuring the asymmetric bodybuilder in a close second.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

If i'm being serious, i'd probably say Shoot em Up because he seemed like he was really trying when everyone else was just there to be weird.

Thank you! I was trying to remember the name of this movie but Giamatti's filmography is like 80 pages long. God what a bizarre mess of a film.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

Death to Smoochy is a movie that most people I’ve discussed it with hate. More than one of them have complained “who is this movie *for*?”, which is kind of valid, it is tonally a very strange film.

But it’s for me. That’s who it’s for. I like this weirdly optimistic movie about being kind and principled against all kinds of overwhelming pressure and nihilism. Plus it might be my favorite performance from both Robin Williams and Ed Norton - Norton as a harmless goof and Williams as a psychotically violent shamed children’s entertainer, it’s fantastic.

Danny DeVito is a really underrated director, his stuff just oozes personality. I recently watched War of the Roses and his quirky camera movements and weird angles/shot compositions are fantastic, they add a fantastic touch of surrealism that makes everything feel just a tiny bit fantastical.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I really like 2005 HHGttG, but am compelled to point out that Zooey Deschenel was a terrible casting choice who dragged down the rest of the immensely talented cast in every scene she shared with them.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

credburn posted:

When Swordfish was released I was a teenager. I've never seen it, but the only thing I remember about it is Halle Berry was paid extra if she showed two boobs instead of one, or something goofy like that.

edit: I've never seen the topless scene either, now that I think about it. I would look it up, but I can only imagine I would be disappointed. For how much attention it got, I expect some Matrix bullet-dodging level of impressive cinematography.

I vaguely remember her lowering a magazine or something to reveal her boobs, but haven't seen it in forever. I saw it in theaters with a friend whose main motivation was Halle's berries, so the marketing definitely worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, The Room is an insufferable slog.