Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

We all have that one guilty pleasure movie. The one that in our heart of hearts know is bad but love it anyway. And no matter how many times you hear why people hate it you stand your ground and love it regardless. I wanna hear which movies those are for you and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxANWqgmsFc

Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows - it's a complete departure of style, none of the actors from the first are involved, in fact it treats the first movie as just that - a movie that the characters in the sequel went and saw and became obsessed with. By all rights it's not that good of a movie - but I love it!

It's interesting. Movie sequels are usually not as good as the first and sometimes just the same movie again but worse or different location. This one goes in a completely different direction, and by the end of it it has you asking if what you saw is what actually happened. And when you watch it again you can find a lot of little hints as to what is actually happening. I love this terrible movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beezle posted:

I never understood why nobody seemed to like this movie, it's great!

Same goes for the Last Action Hero and Mystery Men. What's not to love?!

Last Action Hero rules and feels like it's ahead of its time. My wife bought it for me at Play and Trade in the mall and the dude working there made fun of me through my wife. gently caress that guy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

I loved Howard the Duck as a kid.

Hot Rod is one of the greatest comedies of the 21st century.

I've seen A Night at the Roxbury more than a few times and even made a friend watch it.

wait do people not like Hot Rod? It rules!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

Highlander is total schlock to begin with, so I never really got why people act like Highlander 2 is some massive affront to the franchise. Besides, it has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzA4ABr-Lg

oh my god the baby falling at the end I cant lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I rented Surf Ninja's so often as a kid. I loved that the bad guy was the dude I loved from Police Squad and Naked Gun.

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bOJs_z9M0

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if it's considered a bad movie but I love grave encounters. I love found footage movies I love that it perfectly mocks ghost hunting reality shows and I think it has some of the best portrayals of impossible space in movies

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

For how serious he usually is Tommy Jones loves to go full ham between Batman forever and natural born killers

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

I was curious and watched it the other night, I did like the way they handled that.

I discovered Amazon Prime video has like, tons of these movies and watched Hunter Prey which had its moments, actually.

Just loads of movies with titles like comic books from the 50s: FUTURE FIGHT, ROBOT WARS, DRONE KILLERS, SCIENCE GONE WRONG, or whatever that were probably pretty fun to make. They all have baller, eye-catching cover art of course.

Grave Encounters 2 is also not terrible and I would say is a good enough sequel to watch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Film Invisible Man is a different character. He's a good-natured thief who stole the serum from its inventor (the guy who became the Invisible Man in the original comic), instead of a serial rapist.

Wasn't the invisible man being a rapist just the plot to Hollow Man

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if people think it's bad but I really like Shoot Em Up and how it is wearing its feelings on its sleeves to just being a live action loony tunes action film.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

Really enjoyed Dagon though sometimes I think Ghostbusters is the best Lovecraft movie though it’s more about how a Call of Cthulhu campaign usually goes.

that's the only way you should do cosmic horror in my opinion. The goal should never be defeating them, it should be making sure the gate closes. Mass Effect would have been way better if we never dealt with the reapers again after ME1. Also Hellboy does this ending well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

Is this Dagon (2001)? Sounds worth a watch, that's the only one I found on a quick web search but I seem to think there was something more recent. Maybe I'm misremembering.

That's it you can watch it for free on tubi

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Colour out of space was a movie I watched once thought it was great and said never watching that again. I can't handle what happens to the mom and little boy

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Growing up I thought everyone my age loved Death To Smoochy. It's one of the best dark comedies because it's actually funny.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't like Cable guy as a kid and I haven't watched it again. I might have to try it again to see how it hits now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You didn't laugh when he jacked an elephant and used it like a gun to shoot his dad?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm just gonna post my review of the new godzilla film. I know it's not good and isn't scoring well but I loved it.

Shard posted:

Just got back from Godzilla x Kong new empire. Easily my favorite of the Legendary zilla films since 2014. It's way more focused and the journey is less all over the planet.

There is a non zero amount of wrestling moves in the film. Also it's just glorious schlock. One of my favorite parts was so absurd and wild that my son and I were cracking up in the theater. The team ups are amazing and great. There is a freaking tag team match at one point.

Also the villain is great. Just an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. It's just Scar from Lion King. He also reminded me of that kind of crazy portrayal like the one evil kid in Battle Royale. Just kinda lanky and lazy but loving nutso. Like a straight up mad king.

Also you just gotta accept things - there are things that may as well be magic that happen. And it was kinda funny when I'm seeing this destruction and it's like well that's a bunch of dead people. In the more serious movies that's treated with a lot of gravity. But it this they just dont really mention it and they don't even bother with a throwaway line like they somehow evacuated the entire area in a few minutes. But whatever.

The movie also ends pretty suddenly but not in a bad way. It was like this is what we promised and now it is done. No post credit scene either.

This is why Godzilla rules. You can get crazy movies like this and Final Wars or you can get deep films like the original, shin and minus one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if this movie is considered bad or just not well known but I love Freaked. Saw it randomly on a Saturday morning when Cinemax was free for the weekend and I taped it onto a vhs. I was like oh man it's Bill from Bill and Ted! Love that guy. Then RLM did a review on it and I was reminded how much I love it. It's also free on youtube.

RLM Re:View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gk8cHCo4Y

Full movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFfhcDmFJY

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Creature posted:

I saw the Super Mario Bros movie well before I ever actually played the games, so was confused when they were all colourful and cutesy and not about rear end in a top hat dinosaur people.

I don't even know how that is possible. Different life experiences indeed.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the fart guy is from Alex Winter's old sketch show The Idiot Box. He was also in that episode of Tales from the Crypt where the guy could hear his conscience voiced by Sam Kinison

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Question about Freaked for anyone who remembers seeing it in the 90s, did you see it on cable? VHS? It looks like it was only released to 2 screens here in the US weirdly

I saw it on on cable and taped it on a vhs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Totally in line with the thread title, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't strongly recommend it to anyone, but it was a good watch. About the worst I could day is that it's a bit minor. Ditto for Intolerable Cruelty.

I really liked Hail Cesar. I love period pieces and just enjoyed all the performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the only interesting thing to me about the room is the genre. Most rich people who finance their own movies, write/direct/star in it usually go for action.