Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mom and Dad, starring Nic Cage. I can see why it did bad in theaters but loving Hell it is good in a dark way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That was such a trash movie but I still love it, not only for that One Scene, but for the scene with the helicopter and the dude on the stretcher. In my mind, that's a perfect capsulation of how dumb trash but hilarious fun that movie is.

Also, just once I want there to be a scientist in one of these movies that keeps saying no, sharks in fact, do get cancer, and we don't know if they could Alzheimer's or not because we don't have tests for that.

Also, if you're going to breed insanely smart sharks, maybe go with something smaller that you can keep in a stock tank and not something has to be in the open ocean🙂

That said, some of the most terrifying animals we keep as pets are not terrifying because of their size. I want to see a movie with giant starfish and serpent stars that attack people. Especially the starfish that don't actually have a technical mouth and just push their stomach out to dissolve their food while it's alive.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hackers film 1995 posted:

hmm. yeah i hear all of your ideas on “plot holes” or “story inconsistencies” or “very stupid writing” and i choose to just get real mad irl that you would insult the perfect film, deep blue sea. my hat is like a shark’s fin!

i don't recall your avatar in the movie because that would have made it literal perfect.

HACK THE SHARK.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

James Gunn has u covered my dude

nah that's some superhero movie.

Legit serpent starfish. Maybe some crown of thorns starfish that some idiot chops up to kill.

I remember watching the movie Orca as a kid, and thought it was pretty badass.

That Scene though is not quite as good as Deep Blue Sea, but as a kid reading about whales, I never understood why the crew was trying to capture an orca alive with a loving harpoon gun. That Scene, btw, was a bloody orca miscarriage with the fetus hosed off the side of the deck and most of the human crew freaking the gently caress out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
anyone else remember Rock And Rule? That was levels of WTF and perfection.

Also the 1980's Care Bear movies. The sequel with the demon that made a deal with the klutz girl at summer camp held a special place in my heart as a kid, because I had no physical ability either, but even as a kid I'd never make a deal with a red demon shapeshifter just to be a camp champ/good at running. The first movie with the demonic book was loving terrifying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Clifford is an insane movie. My younger sister loved it growing up so I've seen it way too many times

i thought that movie was a fever dream I had.

Drop Dead Fred was similar. watching it as an adult, loving hell it is amazing how insane the mom is.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I haven’t watched this film since I saw it in the theater (dressed up as Mina Murray no less). I was a huge fan of the comics, problematic aspects aside. I remember it as being a fun adaptation and I was bummed it wasn’t more popular if only because that’s probably the most accurate Captain Nemo we’re ever gonna get, Naseeruddin Shah knocked him out of the park and as a massive 20,000 Leagues fan I wish he was the star instead.

My strongest memory of the film is Mr. Hyde rushing down a corridor of the Nautilus and Dr. Jekyll is reflected in the portholes saying something like “that’s it Henry, you’ve got this!” It was so ridiculous but in retrospect that’s where the film sold me.

Was the Invisible Man a super creepy Bill Cosby fucker in the movie too? I remember something about that, and it turned me off the movie entirely.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oxyrosis posted:

I agree, Son-In-Law is one of my most treasured Thanksgiving movies.

I think I remember Pauly shore saying how much he hated that movie in an interview, but I grew up watching that, and I know it sounds stupid but that movie actually changed my perception of college and how I could get away from my little town. That I didn't necessarily have to marry some dude why I went to high school. With that I could actually get out and learn some interesting things and interesting people. Not most of that was squashed by the time I got to high school and kind of fell into the anxious mess of clicks, but I honestly think the message of the movie is pretty good.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would love a remake of Dagon. Mostly because any of us might be envious of being that dude. Okay becoming a fish guy might suck, but you get to live a long time in the ocean and presumably can still live kinda on land, and don't have to pay rent or have a job?

It's like how Beauty and the Beast would have a line of applicants to live in the castle and make the Beast love them today.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Willy's Wonderland is what FNAF wanted to be. I love how Nic Cage says nothing the entire movie. And when poo poo gets real, he doesn't panic or lose his poo poo or run, he breaks his loving mop over his knee and starts attacking the animatronics.

And Ding! Breaktime!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Narzack posted:

I will never stop defending Event Horizon. Also Mortal Kombat 97. The rest of Paul WS Anderson is poo poo. Except for Soldier, of course.

who the gently caress says Event Horizon is a bad movie? Some people say the effects are bad these days but dude, I watch it and the loving everything is perfect. I still use the "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see." and "Hell is just a word. The reality is far worse."

Let's hit on some crap animated movies, like the bad bad ones. Don Bluth did amazing with American Tail and Land Before Time (the first ones at least for both) and I love All Dogs Go to Heaven, but everything else kinda was just....so bad. Titan AE was perhaps the best of the bunch, and even that was weird (and cut the explanation of how the bad guys could get erased, there should have been buildup over the movie, and aside from Nathan Lane's character, everyone else was pretty forgettable).

I remember my neighbor had like every lovely Bluth movie, and the kids didn't even want to watch the poo poo. Talking Pebble and the Penguin, which I liked most of the songs, and how loving ridiculous the bad guy was (voiced by Tim Curry) even if everyone else again, poo poo. I could not get into the designs of Rock a Doodle or the Central Park troll movie though.

Remember Swan Princess? Amazing soundtrack, and the best scene ever in any princess movie:

The prince has proposed to the princess, everyone in the ballroom is clapping, and she asks why he wants to marry her.

Prince: You're beautiful!

Princess: And what else?

Prince: .........what else is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

There was a period in 95-96 where my Swan Princess tape was just on a nonstop loop. I haven’t seen it in at least 20-25 years??

Occasionally Thumbelina was there too, but the Beetle guy wigged me out a bit. Sometimes when I do my makeup I feel very Mrs. Toad, I have a matte pink that’s a dead on for hers.

Speaking of, finding out that John Cusack was NOT involved with the actual Romanovs was crushing. In hindsight, weird but bold that they even had a movie based on Anastasia, given the uh, actual ending.

Had an obsession with her as a kid as well, there were these series of books for girls about royal women, I read the Anastasia one constantly, and the Marie Antoinette one as well. I’m noticing a pattern, ask me about Elena Ceaușescu! Please tell me there’s a bad movie about Elena Ceaușescu I will watch it, I need it.

E: yes I liked The Great

i remember bringing Swan Princess over for my nieces to watch. They grew up with Cinderella and Ariel, i got them onto Mulan and Avatar, but the Swan Princess they thought was hilarious for the scene I mentioned (they both hated the prince after that) and mocked the "go shopping for a princess" song. They did, and I did, enjoy how the bumbling friend sidekick actually helped save the day. And the frog who thought a princess kiss would turn him into a prince. Spoiler: it did not. He was still a frog.

I liked NIMH as an adult, but as a kid, I hated it. I hated the crow, I hated the whiny mouse kids, I hated the magic amulet. I also didn't understand why the rats were all males.

I remember seeing Titan AE and knowing that yeah, purple hair girl is totally gonna get with the Blonde Hero dude, but damnit, Nathan Lane's alien was just so much cooler.

Another rat movie: A Mouse and His Child. Apparently I watched this nonstop as a kid, but it's a living toy movie that I don't think anyone else remembers. I do recall the scene that always gave me nightmares, when a toy says he's too tired to work, and one of the rat masters literally rips him to shreds; you only see the shadows and hear the toy donkey screaming that he'll work, he changed his mind. It was all very weird hand-drawn animation as befit cartoons in the 80's, but it was not Disney or Bluth.