Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Welcome to the stopgap Doctor Who thread, where we re-litigate the (season) 30s and speculate misinformation on how to watch the show outside of the UK. ANYWAY, Russel T Davies and his independent production company Bad Wolf have clearly won over the Goon audience, what with the last thread (for four episodes) getting almost as many pages as the thread for Whittaker's first season and New Year's special (eleven episodes). Will the honeymoon last? We won't know until May, when Doctor Who returns! Or debuts, if you believe the Walt Disney Company.

The previous thread can be found here Now, the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
We have a designated spoiler thread that is thankfully relevant once again. If you think it's a spoiler, don't post it in this thread!

WHERE DO I START?
The Church on Ruby Road is the easiest place to start, given that it features a new Doctor and new companion giving first impressions. Hey, you finished! If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

HOW DO I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're in the UK, it's easy - turn on BBC One to watch new episodes, or fire up your iPlayer and watch almost every episode of Doctor Who in existence! For everyone else, it's complicated. Here's where you can stream:

1963-1989: BritBox
2005-2022: Max in the United States, Prime Video in Canada, and Foxtel Now in Australia (if you live somewhere else, I'm sorry, but I can't put every nation here)
2023-20??: Disney+

And no, it's not getting any simpler. Also, don't ask about how to stream the TV movie, because I can't find out. Leave me alone!

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone. They can't take those away from you!

THE ALL-NEW GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally THOUSANDS of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. In previous threads, I would pour over all the individual lines and describe them. With the great restructure of Big Finish lines, though, I have to adapt. So, here are some bullet points:

-Doctors 1-12 have their own individual lines now, although obviously the first three Doctors are not played by Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee. Here's a handy guide: if it's current series Doctor Who, "Adventures" means it's the actual actors, while "Chronicles" means it's not.
-The Companion Chronicles & the Early Adventures generally do not feature the Doctor, and some of them are essentially audiobooks with sound effects. Check the cast list if you want to know which is which.
-If you have ever asked "what about <random character x>?", boy are you in luck! There are so many spin-offs featuring characters both familiar and unfamiliar that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a series that makes you say "THEY got a series?" Some are good, some are bad, most are unremarkable.
-Everyone has a taste, so don't rely on other people's opinions. For example, I don't care for or about Charlotte Pollard and her spin-off, but some people do! Some crazy people enjoy the story Nekromanteia - you do you!

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago!

Plavski posted:

I hate that cold feeling of horror that shivers up my spine whenever I remember Bonnie Langford was a companion.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always for a new thread... shameless self-advertising! (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you don't want to read it!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children | Revolution of the Daleks | The Halloween Apocalypse | War of the Sontarans | Once, Upon Time | Village of the Angels | Survivors of the Flux | The Vanquishers | Eve of the Daleks | Legend of the Sea Devils | The Power of the Doctor

Television Gifs/MP4s - May give weird 404 warnings or warnings about "erotic imagery" (Pertwee eating a sandwich?), will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker | Ncuti Gatwa

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The Ratings War | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends

8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New thread!

No new jukebox :smith:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

New thread!

No new jukebox :smith:

True, but it is wheelchair-accessible.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh the round things, I love the round things!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh the round things, I love the round things!

Me, too! ... What do they do?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

W.T. Fits posted:

Me, too! ... What do they do?

…no idea

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

voted Key to Time, results did not disappoint

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
One of my girlfriends got me back into Who earlier this year after I fell off during Eleven, and I ended up listening to a bunch of the Ninth Doctor Adventures at my lovely night job.

Do you like that season? Do you wish there was more of it? Good news! You, too, can hear the Ninth Doctor be a trans ally and also listen to an episode that’s just about how cool the early polar expeditions were, and it’s all great.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

New thread? Oooo, new thread, that's weird.

Now, where was I? Oh, right - you made me think there was some weird new news about the 96 movie with that thread title. 😂

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I know this thread…what? WHAT?!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Ooh, should've waited a little longer to post. But then I ran the risk of not getting my joke in...

Looks like we've got a big 7th Doctor release:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-seventh-doctor-adventures-the-last-day-1-2626

quote:

There is always injustice to fight. There is always a new danger for the universe. But what if the Doctor found a way to put things right, once and for all? Would it really be so terrible to take a stand? Would the end justify the means? And would his friends agree? The Seventh Doctor’s last day is coming…

Joining Sylvester McCoy, the story stars his television co-stars Sophie Aldred as Ace and Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush.
Plus, from the worlds of audio drama, Lisa Bowerman as Professor Bernice Summerfield, Philip Olivier as Thomas Hector “Hex” Schofield, Amy Pemberton as Sally Morgan, Maggie O’Neill as Lysandra Aristedes, Yasmin Bannerman and Travis Oliver as Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester, and Chase Masterson as Vienna Salvatori.

We’re also promised the returning menace of Geoffrey Beevers as the Master, and Dan Starkey as the Sontarans.

12 parts of Sly scheming and plotting? I am onboard. If I wasn't already sold by that, including Beevers' Master was the cherry on top that pushed it over.

Diving into this today, will report back!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Looks like we've got a big 7th Doctor release:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-seventh-doctor-adventures-the-last-day-1-2626

12 parts of Sly scheming and plotting? I am onboard. If I wasn't already sold by that, including Beevers' Master was the cherry on top that pushed it over.

Diving into this today, will report back!

I'm an episode in, and I'm mostly being annoyed with how mediocre Joe Kraemer's score and sound design is. I'm used to him self-plagiarizing, I'm used to him ripping off John Williams, but the bit where the newscast jingle comes on made me do a double take. It's the opening to the DS9 theme.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm an episode in, and I'm mostly being annoyed with how mediocre Joe Kraemer's score and sound design is. I'm used to him self-plagiarizing, I'm used to him ripping off John Williams, but the bit where the newscast jingle comes on made me do a double take. It's the opening to the DS9 theme.

Well, I'm having phone issues that are preventing me from listening at the moment. So this is now on hold while I perform tech support.

Hopefully the rest of it covers for the mediocre scoring.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Well, I'm having phone issues that are preventing me from listening at the moment. So this is now on hold while I perform tech support.

Hopefully the rest of it covers for the mediocre scoring.

Yeah like I'm one episode in it's okay so far. They're basically doing Infinity War, as far as I can tell, which is fair enough. But they're also trying to stitch together the work of a bunch of different recording sessions and unfortunately BF have sent their worst director and sound guy to solve the problem.

There's cool stuff, like some of the structural cleverness in the first episode -- I'm a fan of how the first episode basically explains exactly what's going on without anyone actually being told anything -- but, on the other hand, I'm also pretty sure Bonnie Langford has no idea what's going on either.

It's the kind of story where you actually need a director who's got a strong handle on the material because the plot relies on a bunch of references to other stories, it's being relayed to us via implication, it's jumping around all over the place, it's being recorded without actors being anywhere near each other (seven recording sessions for something that would normally take three)... and Samuel Clemens is just not up to that IMO. So, you end up with a reliable actor like Langford actively struggling to track her character's emotional state from scene to scene. Feels like a bit of a mixed bag.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
A Pond becomes a River....but.....a River....can become....a Flood...

Do it RTD you coward, do it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Damming of The Flood

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DavidCameronsPig posted:

A Pond becomes a River....but.....a River....can become....a Flood...

Do it RTD you coward, do it

The Toymaker: Und then he vas meeting River Song again! Und River Song......
Toymaker spends several minutes rapidly blinking, the Doctor and Donna quietly leave.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Response to my "maybe the Tardis is the Timeless Child" post.
Alright, you've sold me.

I just want a retcon that un-fucks everything that you talked about.

They're not special by birth, dammit!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m on The End of Time. I forgot how batshit insane it was. The Master doing a super frog jump and eating homeless people. The Doctor knowing that The Master is out there somewhere, instinctively checks a rock quarry. Obama fixing the economy. Obama becoming The Master.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m on The End of Time. I forgot how batshit insane it was. The Master doing a super frog jump and eating homeless people. The Doctor knowing that The Master is out there somewhere, instinctively checks a rock quarry. Obama fixing the economy. Obama becoming The Master.

It's peak bad RTD. There's a few great character moments, but the story and part 1 in particular is rough.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Obama’s head rapidly shaking as he becomes The Master is an image I’ve never been able to get out of my head.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a reason the End of Time is a punching bag on Radio Free Skaro, particularly the potions bit.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I just got to The Day of the Doctor on my rewatch and my main thought was "Wow, this really doesn't fit with The End of Time at all", but equally I can sort of understand Grand Moff Steven's impulse to overlook it. (Hell, he already retconned Stolen Earth/Journey's End out of existence with some throwaway lines in Victory of the Daleks).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I just got to The Day of the Doctor on my rewatch and my main thought was "Wow, this really doesn't fit with The End of Time at all", but equally I can sort of understand Grand Moff Steven's impulse to overlook it. (Hell, he already retconned Stolen Earth/Journey's End out of existence with some throwaway lines in Victory of the Daleks).

Isn't End of Time happening simultaneously? I swear they reference Rassilon hanging out with his forces doing a hail mary.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, they comment that Rassilon is off doing his own thing and they can't rely on him to save them/fight for them. We can presume that Rassilon's plan to "ascend" was to do so with a chosen political elite and he was willing to leave everybody else on the planet to die.

Luckily the Doctor stopped Rassilon's plan in his 10th incarnation, while 11 saved all those people, including Rassilon's elite, by freezing Gallifrey and shunting it into a pocket universe. Everybody lived, especially all those children whose deaths haunted him.

Then the Master just brutally murdered all of them, kids included, a little later and the Doctor just kind of shrugged and didn't give a poo poo.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't End of Time happening simultaneously? I swear they reference Rassilon hanging out with his forces doing a hail mary.

They do mention it in passing. What isn't clear is how Gallifrey being locked a little spacetime pocket per Rassilon's plan in that materially differs from Gallifrey being locked in a little spacetime pocket per the gambit the Doctors pull off in Day of the Doctor.

I mean, unless I badly misinterpreted the end of The End of Time, Gallifrey isn't destroyed at the end of that, it just goes back into the weird timelocked state the rest of the Time War is in - and so could presumably be extracted again, albeit not via the Master-based means Rassilon had planned.

And even if that's not the case, you still have a setup where "actually, the time colonialists were bad, we should probably keep them in the cupboard" has this tension with "but think of the time colonialists' children, maybe we should let them out of the cupboard" and I am not sure I wholly trust Moffat to handle that (I've only just started on 12th Doctor stuff, which I had seen none of before bar Twice Upon a Time).

I don't know, I just think Moffat wanted to pivot back from "oh no, actually Gallifrey is a bad place" to "I miss Gallifrey :(" but didn't really do the legwork prior to Day of the Doctor to sell me on that. Which, given that he had three chuffing seasons to do it in, is pretty negligent.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, they comment that Rassilon is off doing his own thing and they can't rely on him to save them/fight for them. We can presume that Rassilon's plan to "ascend" was to do so with a chosen political elite and he was willing to leave everybody else on the planet to die.
Except not because explicitly the entire planet shows up in orbit around Earth in The End of Time.

EDIT: Also, the visuals in End of Time seem fairly clearly set up to give the impression that the majority of Gallifrey is firmly behind Rassilon. He might have his elite war council but his plan is announced in a massive assembly hall (ripping off the Star Wars prequels because End of Time was really big on its Star Wars riffs, it even has a Millennium Falcon in it), with only two people out of the masses and masses of folk there dissenting. In terms of what the show presents us with, there's no basis to think that there's sad Gallifreyan children getting exterminated or brave little soldiers on the front lines - especially considering the way RTD made the Time War seem weird and mythic and distinctly unconventional in his allusions to it - and "But what about the kids?" is basically something Moffat adds in. It's a legitimate alternate take, but it's an alternate take which to my mind goes beyond responding to what RTD did in End of Time and creeps into disrespecting it.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 31, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Warthur posted:

They do mention it in passing. What isn't clear is how Gallifrey being locked a little spacetime pocket per Rassilon's plan in that materially differs from Gallifrey being locked in a little spacetime pocket per the gambit the Doctors pull off in Day of the Doctor.

I mean, unless I badly misinterpreted the end of The End of Time, Gallifrey isn't destroyed at the end of that, it just goes back into the weird timelocked state the rest of the Time War is in - and so could presumably be extracted again, albeit not via the Master-based means Rassilon had planned.

I was sure he said they planned to "ascend" to something akin to the Eternals and essentially cease to exist as material/physical beings, wiping out the rest of the universe to "win" the war while protecting those Rassilon deemed worthy of joining him?

I'll need to rewatch it though. As you note in your other post, I remembered a much smaller assembly of Time Lords then you say there was, so I thought it was a few hundred people at most with just a couple of the "elites" dissenting (with the suggestion they may have been Romana and Susan, or at least maybe I just made that assumption?) as opposed to tens of thousands if not more.

Edit: here it is from the transcript:

Rassilon: We will initiate the Final Sanction. The end of time will come at my hand. The rupture will continue until it rips the Time Vortex apart.
Master: That's suicide.
Rassilon: We will ascend to become creatures of consciousness alone. Free of these bodies, free of time, and cause and effect, while creation itself ceases to be.

So basically Rassilon's plan was essentially very close to Davros' "Reality Bomb", except Davros intended to just sit outside of reality with the Daleks while the rest of reality was wiped out, then return to exist in a state where the ONLY thing was existed physically was the Daleks (who would promptly set about having a civil war over what counted as a Dalek, I'm sure).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 31, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I think it's different. Rassilon's plan in The End of Time is that he jump Gallifrey forwards past the end of the war, where as the Doctor's plan in Day Of The Doctor is that Gallifrey get banned to an alternate universe.

Warthur posted:

And even if that's not the case, you still have a setup where "actually, the time colonialists were bad, we should probably keep them in the cupboard" has this tension with "but think of the time colonialists' children, maybe we should let them out of the cupboard" and I am not sure I wholly trust Moffat to handle that (I've only just started on 12th Doctor stuff, which I had seen none of before bar Twice Upon a Time).

I've always thought this was dumb. The Doctor wouldn't ever kill kids but apparently absolutely would exile them to an empty universe populated by fascist death cult with no one around to target except the weakest of their own herd. Ahuh.

I think there's a FP short story collection that suggests the Doctor's "will nobody think of the children" moment was actually a Gallifreyian psyop lmao.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finally got around to watching the Christmas special. It was decent enough for that kind of thing and I certainly like Ncuti but I think I'm over the sugar rush high of Rusty and show being back and am really looking forward to more of a variation in tone

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I was sure he said they planned to "ascend" to something akin to the Eternals and essentially cease to exist as material/physical beings, wiping out the rest of the universe to "win" the war while protecting those Rassilon deemed worthy of joining him?

I'll need to rewatch it though. As you note in your other post, I remembered a much smaller assembly of Time Lords then you say there was, so I thought it was a few hundred people at most with just a couple of the "elites" dissenting (with the suggestion they may have been Romana and Susan, or at least maybe I just made that assumption?) as opposed to tens of thousands if not more.

Edit: here it is from the transcript:

Rassilon: We will initiate the Final Sanction. The end of time will come at my hand. The rupture will continue until it rips the Time Vortex apart.
Master: That's suicide.
Rassilon: We will ascend to become creatures of consciousness alone. Free of these bodies, free of time, and cause and effect, while creation itself ceases to be.

So basically Rassilon's plan was essentially very close to Davros' "Reality Bomb", except Davros intended to just sit outside of reality with the Daleks while the rest of reality was wiped out, then return to exist in a state where the ONLY thing was existed physically was the Daleks (who would promptly set about having a civil war over what counted as a Dalek, I'm sure).

Honestly with the context of the recent episodes it kinda sounds like Rassilon was trying to become the Not-Things from Wild Blue Yonder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

Honestly with the context of the recent episodes it kinda sounds like Rassilon was trying to become the Not-Things from Wild Blue Yonder.

I figured a force akin to the Eternals or maybe even the Toymaker, but Rassilon being Rassilon he would definitely turn into some monstrous Lovecraftian incomprehensible horror like the Not-Things. He was already sorta kinda half-way there in The Five Doctors anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the main difference between Davies and Moffat and their visions of the climax of the Time War is their respective levels of cynicism.

Davies says that evil not only exists but lurks in the hearts of normal people, and can be released without much prompting- see Midnight. The Daleks are actively, consciously evil, like Mind Flayers in D&D or something. Of course the Time Lords turned evil. A whole species became unrepentantly, unfixably evil, and had to be extinguished for the good of the universe.

Moffat refuses to believe in evil in the same way. His first two Doctor Who stories were about malfunctioning machinery. The whole Silence arc was ultimately about people with relatable motives loving up. Even the Daleks are portrayed as victims, their evil maintained by constant technological control over what they're allowed to see, even what they're allowed to express, reinforced from the top down. Through that lens, of course the entire Time Lord species didn't turn evil. Maybe the elites did, Rassilon and his inner circle and the Time Lord Congress or whoever that he made his "Gallifrey Rises" speech to. But not the salt of the earth common folk. Not the janitors, the shopkeepers, the Shabogans. Not the children.

Clara says in Day Of The Doctor, "you said you wiped out your own people, I just never pictured you doing it". Moffat can't imagine the Doctor actually destroying Gallifrey, Davies could

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

2house2fly posted:

But not the salt of the earth common folk. Not the janitors, the shopkeepers, the Shabogans.

I just don't think these people exist on Time War Gallifrey. Gallifrey doesn't have janitors, shopkeepers, etc. and the Shabogans would be rounded up into reeducation camps, and either conscripted or slaughtered.

So I think it's a problem of Moffat's imagination, rather than Clara's, in that he has to assume such people would exist for any place to function.

It's like the Daleks. They've got slaves because slaves serve a purpose for Dalek recreation, but they don't actually need them for anything else.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 31, 2023

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

In the bit you quote I speak not of the state Gallifrey was in post-ascension, I speak of the intermediate state it was in after the Doctor ended the Time War and before The End of Time happens, where Rassilon has rules lawyered it into a bubble of time towards the end of the War or something.

People in this thread are probably right, I misunderstood and misremembered. But the mere fact I did get confused when I got to The End of Time in my watchthrough really not that long ago suggests that Moffat didn't do enough heavy lifting in this episode to avoid the question. A bit where Clara drags the Eleventh Doctor aside and said "I thought you said Gallifrey hopped out of the Time War thanks to Rassilon's plan?" and he said "Yes, but I sort of had to make it hop back again" would have been enough for me, and would have also been a chance for Eleven to say "FFS don't tell Ten or War about anything I've told you, they probably won't remember it and if they did you could seriously gently caress up my timeline."

Maybe it's RTD's fault for making the situation in The End of Time rather confusing? It perhaps isn't helpful that RTD (and to an extent Moffat) has a tendency to treat time and space as basically the same thing, so "locked in a bubble of time towards the end of the Time War, which has been partitioned off from the rest of the time stream" ends up feeling functionally identical to "locked in a pocket universe separate from the rest of space", even if in principle those should be different things.

Maybe it's my fault for thinking too hard about the continuity stuff, rather than the story at hand.

But actually, gently caress you, it's not my fault: when the story at hand is specifically obsessed with continuity, I am going to pay attention to continuity, and when you have two stories explaining their concepts in as hurried and technobabble-filled manner as those two confusion is inevitable.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 31, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

But actually, gently caress you, it's not my fault: when the story at hand is specifically obsessed with continuity, I am going to pay attention to continuity, and when you have two stories explaining their concepts in as hurried and technobabble-filled manner as those two confusion is inevitable.

Yeah no, Moffat does a lot of big continuity stories and they're usually a huge mess with a lot of off-screen heavy lifting. But that mostly turns up again in the Ninth Series.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Imagine the universe as a tall building, with each floor being a different period of history. The Time War is one floor of that building and all the doors are locked so none of the participants can go to a different floor. Rassilon's plan is to pick the lock on a door to a stairwell and get himself to another floor, doing so much damage to the building itself in the process that the whole thing comes tumbling down. David Tennant shoves him back in and locks the stairwell door, and then later Matt Smith moves everyone he likes on that floor into a different building entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warthur posted:

The time lock isn't a separate bubble, it's a period of space/time with blocks so you can't travel in or out of it or change it with time travel. Gallifrey's existence ended a few minutes after Rassilon tried to pull off his plan and failed, when at the Doctor's command the moment vapourised both the planet and the Dalek fleet. The time lock just ensures that nothing can ever change that.

(At least that's what it seemed, but the Moment, the creator of the lock, allowed them an alternative where with the help of other versions of the doctor, they would just make it seem like Gallifrey was vapourised, but instead continued to exist hidden away.)

Rassilon, under the belief that Gallifrey was about to end, engineered a pathway out of the lock (via the Master) and tried to forcefully drag Gallifrey out of the lock back into the wider universe, with all the worst poo poo of the time war coming with it along for the ride. Doing that would have so much space time fuckery it would split the vortex apart and destroy them universe, but Rassilon was going to ride that and ascend the Time Lord council into beings of consciousness beyond space-time at the cost of the universe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 31, 2023