Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

The doctor doesn't want to travel with soldiers because the doctor wants companions who are creative, self-directed, and will challenge him. The entire purpose of military training is to take thinking feeling human beings and turn them into reliable executors of amoral orders.

1. Tell me you've never served in the military, without telling me you've never served in the military.

2. I see someone never watched the Pertwee years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've watched a lot of Pertwee and the Doctor is constantly in conflict with the militarism of UNIT. His very second story ends in tragedy because the Brigadier murders the Silurians because the Brig's military inclinations and the Doctor's desire for understanding are in fundamental conflict.

The fact that later UNIT stories become so enamoured with charming characters in a military context that they dispense with this fundamental conflict in favor of a workplace family dynamic doesn't mean that conflict was never meaningful.

I've been paying too much attention for too long to be duped by narratives of brilliant, brave, self-sacrificing soldiers. If the purpose of military organizations was to make people brave, smart, and selfless for social benefit, that money would be spent on public works projects instead of bullets and bombs.

And yes, I'm familiar with the Army Corps of Engineers and other military funding of public works. But we can all recognize that operations like engineering and coast guard work are entirely out scaled by imperially-motivated police action and regime change operations that alchemize chaos and death in the global south into economic benefits for the MIC.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 1, 2024

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

DoctorWhat posted:

I've watched a lot of Pertwee and the Doctor is constantly in conflict with the militarism of UNIT. His very second story ends in tragedy because the Brigadier murders the Silurians because the Brig's military inclinations and the Doctor's desire for understanding are in fundamental conflict.

The fact that later UNIT stories become so enamoured with charming characters in a military context that they dispense with this fundamental conflict in favor of a workplace family dynamic doesn't mean that conflict was never meaningful.

I've been paying too much attention for too long to be duped by narratives of brilliant, brave, self-sacrificing soldiers. If the purpose of military organizations was to make people brave, smart, and selfless for social benefit, that money would be spent on public works projects instead of bullets and bombs.

Nobody said anything about "narratives of brilliant, brave, self-sacrificing soldiers". That's just as much a fiction as your apparent belief that the military turns people into mindless drones with no sense of ethics or morals.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nobody said anything about "narratives of brilliant, brave, self-sacrificing soldiers". That's just as much a fiction as your apparent belief that the military turns people into mindless drones with no sense of ethics or morals.

It's not so much that it does as it's intended to do so.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I said that the purpose of military training is to produce a class of soldiers who act directly according to amoral orders. What other purpose could there be in such rigorous training and adherence to hierarchy than to create a soldier who will act before they think? Whether this strategy reliably dehumanizes people to the total degree intended is another question.

I'm sure there are people in this thread who are basically functional human beings despite previous military service. But sublimating yourself to a hierarchical structure of state violence should actually disqualify you from the TARDIS crew, because the US and UK militaries aren't fighting Daleks and neither was Danny. Danny signed up for a job where he and his colleagues, just like their real life counterparts, were killing human children for the benefit of empire and oil companies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

ikanreed posted:

It's not so much that it does as it's intended to do so.

Having actually gone through military basic training, I can assure you that it isn't. A mindless drone that can't reason or function for themselves without someone giving them orders is useless to a military unit, because they can't make quick decisions under stressful circumstances.

DoctorWhat posted:

I said that the purpose of military training is to produce a class of soldiers who act directly according to amoral orders. What other purpose could there be in such rigorous training and adherence to hierarchy than to create a soldier who will act before they think? Whether this strategy reliably dehumanizes people to the total degree intended is another question.

See my response above. You're making the fundamental mistake that the military just wants the human equivalent of Cybermen. It does not.

quote:

I'm sure there are people in this thread who are basically functional human beings despite previous military service.

Gosh, thanks. :rolleyes: Get down from your loving ivory tower.

quote:

But sublimating yourself to a hierarchical structure of state violence should actually disqualify you from the TARDIS crew, because the US and UK militaries aren't fighting Daleks and neither was Danny. Danny signed up for a job where he and his colleagues, just like their real life counterparts, were killing human children for the benefit of empire and oil companies.

Jesus, you're so far up your own rear end, I'm surprised you're able to watch the show. Done engaging with you any further.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drat this sure is some fine Doctor Who discussion

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

CommonShore posted:

drat this sure is some fine Doctor Who discussion

You're right and I apologize for my part in the derail.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In no way did this constitute a derail. Doctor Who is a science fiction and fantasy television program that frequently explores and addresses sociopolitical themes including militarization, imperialism and resource extraction. Using real world analogs and examples to engage with these fictional uses of political ideas and themes is appropriate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dehumanizing people because they were in the military once isn't appropriate or okay though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

In no way did this constitute a derail. Doctor Who is a science fiction and fantasy television program that frequently explores and addresses sociopolitical themes including militarization, imperialism and resource extraction. Using real world analogs and examples to engage with these fictional uses of political ideas and themes is appropriate.

It had broken away from Doctor Who though. Imo discuss those things while keeping it clearly anchored in the show and how those ideas relate to it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm very upset that Dr who doesn't 100% reflect my opinions on what people don't count as people.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I must've missed the part during Pertwee's era where he told the Brigadier et al. that they weren't fit to travel in the TARDIS because they were all just pawns of the military-industrial complex. Maybe I'll do a rewatch, just to be sure :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh gently caress, is that why Moffat threw cyber Brig in at the end? So we knew the Doctor had realised his anti military stance was silly?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
In all seriousness, while the Doctor (at least, the Third Doctor) decried what he saw as the military mindset, he did so without having to dehumanize or reduce his friends in UNIT to being just mindless drones in his eyes. He even chewed Jo out over it, when she was poo poo-talking the Brig one time, telling her he was doing his best under very difficult circumstances. The Doctor knew that just as there are idiots and incompetents and blood-thirsty maniacs in the military, so too are there essentially decent people who are just trying to do the right thing, which is what he saw in the Brig, Benton, etc. In other words, just like the real-life actual military.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Dehumanizing people because they were in the military once isn't appropriate or okay though

The military aims to dehumanize people. It's very difficult to succeed entirely but that is the institutional goal. Me saying "the military aims to take human beings and change the way they think, in furtherance of imperial benefit" is not me saying "soldiers have forfeited their humanity forever".

Separately from this, joining with a police force or military unit is, at least in the UK and US, a conscious choice. It's a decision to say "the improvements to my circumstances caused by joining this organization outweigh the costs that my participation will inflict on others". There are conscientious objectors and police abolitionists all over the world and history, refusing conscription because they refuse to take that bargain. Military volunteers have had enough hagiography.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Here was me thinking that the Brigadier was one of the most well-liked side characters in all of Doctor Who. I never knew he was a mind-washed imperialist drone.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

DoctorWhat posted:

And yes, I'm familiar with the Army Corps of Engineers and other military funding of public works. But we can all recognize that operations like engineering and coast guard work are entirely out scaled by imperially-motivated police action and regime change operations that alchemize chaos and death in the global south into economic benefits for the MIC.

I'm not sure why you keep giving American examples (like the Army Corps of Engineers). I'm by no means saying that the British armed forces are clear of all wrongs, but you seem to be continually conflating the practices and institutions in quite different countries. I suppose you would say that they're all part of the imperial core or whatnot, but that appears to be particular to the ideological standpoint you're operating from.

Do we actually know where Danny served? I assume it was meant to be Afghanistan or Iraq given that those are the two conflicts that Britain has had soldiers deployed in most recently (if he was going to kill a civilian it would probably be one of those two, though a generation earlier it would be much more likely to be Northern Ireland).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's almost as if art produced in the imperial core is weirdly obsessed with redeeming and sympathizing with the agents of imperial violence

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This derail reminds me of when Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS aired and uninformed Americans believed the character of Albert Steptoe was Black.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

lines posted:

I'm not sure why you keep giving American examples (like the Army Corps of Engineers). I'm by no means saying that the British armed forces are clear of all wrongs, but you seem to be continually conflating the practices and institutions in quite different countries. I suppose you would say that they're all part of the imperial core or whatnot, but that appears to be particular to the ideological standpoint you're operating from.

Do we actually know where Danny served? I assume it was meant to be Afghanistan or Iraq given that those are the two conflicts that Britain has had soldiers deployed in most recently (if he was going to kill a civilian it would probably be one of those two, though a generation earlier it would be much more likely to be Northern Ireland).

UK involvement in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were direct extensions of imperial foreign policy. The lives and life experiences of Iraqis and Afghans were judged to be valueless in the face of the oil-lust of the global north. Blair and Bush and the rest were architects of mass death for profit, and the fiction of the victimized, bamboozled soldier is one finger of a larger cultural project to make war permanently ambiguous - complicated and sad and tragic but never a crime, never evil, never a choice made on the premise that some people count LESS, or not at all.

Danny Pink signed up for that and through his direct actions a child died. That's the sanitized, redeemable version. The one where you learn a little lesson but the soldier remains now and tragic.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
And while we're on the subject...if the Brig etc. are all just mindless pawns of the MIC, doesn't that make the Doctor even worse than them? He certainly has no problems willingly using UNIT's resources, equipment, and manpower, or throwing his UNIT credentials around whenever it suits him, even after he's left the organization.

If the Brig and co. are all just mindless drones brainwashed by the military machine to do nothing but follow orders, what does that make the Doctor, who willingly associates with them and uses them for his own purposes? At least, given that "mindless drone " worldview, they have a (bullshit) excuse. What excuse does the Doctor have?

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 1, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lines posted:

Do we actually know where Danny served? I assume it was meant to be Afghanistan or Iraq given that those are the two conflicts that Britain has had soldiers deployed in most recently

They said five years service in UK and Afghanistan.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

UK involvement in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were direct extensions of imperial foreign policy. The lives and life experiences of Iraqis and Afghans were judged to be valueless in the face of the oil-lust of the global north. Blair and Bush and the rest were architects of mass death for profit, and the fiction of the victimized, bamboozled soldier is one finger of a larger cultural project to make war permanently ambiguous - complicated and sad and tragic but never a crime, never evil, never a choice made on the premise that some people count LESS, or not at all.

Danny Pink signed up for that and through his direct actions a child died. That's the sanitized, redeemable version. The one where you learn a little lesson but the soldier remains now and tragic.

I am obviously not defending the killing of civilians. The whole point of Danny's character, I thought, was to present someone who had done something for which they felt *personal* guilt. So I think you're being somewhat trite in your summary of it - I don't think he is redeemed by the narrative.

I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores and the justification or condemnation of those conflicts, because this isn't the thread for it. I was just asking if we knew specifically where he had served - because Afghanistan and Iraq were quite different conflicts taking place under different conditions, and I don't want to conflate them: but I have a notion that the show might have left it ambiguously "somewhere foreign", which I think is deserving of criticism.

Edit: ah no, I see from a follow-up post that they were specific. Fair enough!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Matthew Modine said that originally, his character was supposed to die at the end of Full Metal Jacket; but he managed to convince Kubrick to let him live, because to Modine that was the true horror of war. Surviving a war, and having to live with the knowledge of the things you did to survive.

Steven Moffat is hardly Stanley Kubrick by any measure, and lord knows I'm hardly one of his defenders, but I'm sure that was what he was trying to go for with the character of Danny. He probably handled it in the most ham-fisted way possible, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't going "a kid died, tough luck, huh".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And while we're on the subject...if the Brig etc. are all just mindless pawns of the MIC, doesn't that make the Doctor even worse than them? He certainly has no problems willingly using UNIT's resources, equipment, and manpower, or throwing his UNIT credentials around whenever it suits him, even after he's left the organization.

If the Brig and co. are all just mindless drones brainwashed by the military machine to do nothing but follow orders, what does that make the Doctor, who willingly associates with them and uses them for his own purposes? At least, given that "mindless drone " worldview, they have a (bullshit) excuse. What excuse does the Doctor have?

You said you wouldn't engage with me further and I appreciated that because your form of engagement was to put words in my mouth.

The Doctor is written with an extremely complicated relationship with the military industrial complex and with our societal notions of war and soldiers. As I said previously, culture in the Imperial corps is extremely preoccupied with the internal life of the soldier and the cop and spends much less time considering the lives of the people who suffer at their hands.

The Brigadier was introduced as a fairly antagonistic figure with multiple serious character flaws into which the Doctor came into conflict. But the charm of Nicholas Courtney as an actor on set chemistry and the predispositions of writers for the series, especially later on once the Brig had become a legacy character and held in reverence, softened the brigadier into an uncontroversial ally representing only the positive qualities of militarism. Culture is preoccupied with the internal life of the soldier.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Matthew Modine said that originally, his character was supposed to die at the end of Full Metal Jacket; but he managed to convince Kubrick to let him live, because to Modine that was the true horror of war. Surviving a war, and having to live with the knowledge of the things you did to survive.

Steven Moffat is hardly Stanley Kubrick by any measure, and lord knows I'm hardly one of his defenders, but I'm sure that was what he was trying to go for with the character of Danny. He probably handled it in the most ham-fisted way possible, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't going "a kid died, tough luck, huh".

When did I accuse Moffat of saying "tough luck"? He created a story where a soldier could have a tragic backstory where he murders an innocent non-character, and then demonstrates that same soldier's virtue by reversing the bargain and dying for his victim. This is a manifestation of the same preoccupation.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 1, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And neither did it try to say it was only the fault of his commanders - because actually soldiers do have moral responsibility and if they kill a civilian then that's not alright, that they were following orders isn't a defense, and indeed I think soldiers are trained to question orders that might be illegal. (In this case it seems it was some kind of accident or misjudgement, but while that might change the legal situation I would assume it doesn't change the guilt).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

lines posted:

And neither did it try to say it was only the fault of his commanders - because actually soldiers do have moral responsibility and if they kill a civilian then that's not alright, that they were following orders isn't a defense, and indeed I think soldiers are trained to question orders that might be illegal. (In this case it seems it was some kind of accident or misjudgement, but while that might change the legal situation I would assume it doesn't change the guilt).

That is correct, when I was in the service we were told during basic training (and at other points during my time in the military) that it was not just a responsibility, but a duty to refuse to obey an unlawful order. As one of our trainers put it, "The Nazis didn't get away with 'I was just following orders', and neither will you."

E: and I'm still going to do a Pertwee rewatch, though it's not like I really need an excuse to do one :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Who really decides what orders are lawful. Come on.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In all seriousness, while the Doctor (at least, the Third Doctor) decried what he saw as the military mindset, he did so without having to dehumanize or reduce his friends in UNIT to being just mindless drones in his eyes. He even chewed Jo out over it, when she was poo poo-talking the Brig one time, telling her he was doing his best under very difficult circumstances. The Doctor knew that just as there are idiots and incompetents and blood-thirsty maniacs in the military, so too are there essentially decent people who are just trying to do the right thing, which is what he saw in the Brig, Benton, etc. In other words, just like the real-life actual military.

Three also has a sizable number of stories where his allies are military and the villains are also military. I can see how someone might not like that because the show is definitely showing militarism in a positive light (government bureaucrats come off worse than UNIT pretty consistently), but it's also frequently nuanced and concerns itself with people. Contrasting some of One's and especially Two's stories where all X are bad (Ice Warriors, say), Three's run of stories sometimes insists that we as an audience treat "monsters" as people, with differing motivations and distinct personalities. It doesn't always hold to that. We get the Silurians and the "Ambassadors" and the Ice Warriors (in Curse of Peladon) on the one hand, but we get the Primoids and the Ogrons, too. And the Sontarans, where the initial joke is "they are actually all exactly the same, but we only ever see one."

Three's a bit inconsistent himself, as he can be very acerbic but has a streak of arrogance that seems to include pride at knowing members of the upper class (not to mention Chairman Mao). His attitude toward the Master is also a bit uncomfortable as it implies he's fine with the deaths of lots of Daleks and Autons but a little chummy with a man who casually kills humans and invites those "still unified monsters" to the planet all the time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Narsham posted:

Three also has a sizable number of stories where his allies are military and the villains are also military. I can see how someone might not like that because the show is definitely showing militarism in a positive light (government bureaucrats come off worse than UNIT pretty consistently), but it's also frequently nuanced and concerns itself with people. Contrasting some of One's and especially Two's stories where all X are bad (Ice Warriors, say), Three's run of stories sometimes insists that we as an audience treat "monsters" as people, with differing motivations and distinct personalities. It doesn't always hold to that. We get the Silurians and the "Ambassadors" and the Ice Warriors (in Curse of Peladon) on the one hand, but we get the Primoids and the Ogrons, too. And the Sontarans, where the initial joke is "they are actually all exactly the same, but we only ever see one."

Three's a bit inconsistent himself, as he can be very acerbic but has a streak of arrogance that seems to include pride at knowing members of the upper class (not to mention Chairman Mao). His attitude toward the Master is also a bit uncomfortable as it implies he's fine with the deaths of lots of Daleks and Autons but a little chummy with a man who casually kills humans and invites those "still unified monsters" to the planet all the time.

I think it's because the producer of the Pertwee era, Barry Letts, was both a practicing Buddhist and a Royal Navy veteran, who likely felt a duty to show the duality of things. The idea of UNIT as a largely peacekeeping force vs. UNIT (and other military agencies, both fictional and real) being used strictly as instruments of force. The Doctor both rebelling against authority and authoritarian structures, while cozying up to it when it suits him. That sort of thing. That's also evidenced in several stories where the villains aren't presented as just having a black-and-white worldview (though there are certainly more than a few of those during Pertwee's run).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

y'all know what's a good "Doctor Who?"

Carnival of Monsters

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

egon_beeblebrox posted:

y'all know what's a good "Doctor Who?"

Carnival of Monsters

Fun fact, I read the novelisation of Frontier in Space long before I saw any Pertwee stories and for a good long while the idea of what a Drashig was and why it terrified Jo so much would really mess with my head. Imagine my glee at finally seeing one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-spin-start-filming-31522208

quote:

The first of the new Doctor Who spin-offs will feature the Sea Devils and is due to start filming this spring.

The reptile monsters, first seen in 1971, are the hibernating original inhabitants of Earth who woke to find humans had taken over. Last year they reappeared in an episode with Jodie Whittaker’s 13th Doctor. The five-part spin-off – The War Between The Land and the Sea – will be the first of several planned series centring on monsters from the 60-year-old BBC show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Fil5000 posted:

Fun fact, I read the novelisation of Frontier in Space long before I saw any Pertwee stories and for a good long while the idea of what a Drashig was and why it terrified Jo so much would really mess with my head. Imagine my glee at finally seeing one.

Same here, I think I chuckled more at the costumes the humans and aliens were wearing than I did at the Drashig, though. :v:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Edward Mass posted:

This derail reminds me of when Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS aired and uninformed Americans believed the character of Albert Steptoe was Black.

...wait, what?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Steptoe And Son was a British sitcom about junk merchants that was remade in America as Sanford and Son, which kept the premise but made the main characters black. The main characters in Journey To The Centre Of The Tardis are three black junk merchants who inherited the business from their father. Those seem to be the pieces, though I don't know how they fit together to lead to that outcome

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

2house2fly posted:

Steptoe And Son was a British sitcom about junk merchants that was remade in America as Sanford and Son, which kept the premise but made the main characters black. The main characters in Journey To The Centre Of The Tardis are three black junk merchants who inherited the business from their father. Those seem to be the pieces, though I don't know how they fit together to lead to that outcome

Did they at least have them come out to the strains of Quincy Jones' "The Streetbeater", or have one of them say "You big dummy"? :v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bum bum bwada!

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlkZY-S3LiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

2. I see someone never watched the Pertwee years.
None of the soldiers in UNIT ever became travelling companions of the Doctor. At most some of them took brief trips but that's not enough to meet the criteria of Companion in my book, which is that you travel with the Doctor in the TARDIS across consecutive stories. (Liz Shaw gets an exception solely because the TARDIS was broken during her one season, and had it been functional then clearly she'd have been travelling in it regularly - by contrast it was super rare for the Brigadier or Benton or Yates to take trips in it, even in the two seasons when it was working fine.)