Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
One of the black-and-white seasons
Season 7
Season 11
Season 13
Season 15
The Key to Time
Season 21
Season 25
View Results

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Miles doesn't give a poo poo about clout lol

He declares he doesn't in a way that suggests he totally does. That interview linked upthread (and others pulled from the same site via wayback) paint a picture of a man determined to present himself as a Harlan Ellison-esque enfant terrible, and you don't strike that pose unless you want social cachet out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

It's better than The Shadow of the Scourge

Ugh, yeah, that one was bad. But his other efforts (all cowritten apart from his segment in 100) are a lot better.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I find Shadow of the Scourge amusing if you parse it as a parody of the New Adventures, but on the other hand that's a very inside joke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I find Shadow of the Scourge amusing if you parse it as a parody of the New Adventures, but on the other hand that's a very inside joke.

Yeah but it's not, it's just an NA.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yeah but it's not, it's just an NA.

I dunno, the gimmick of the Scourge being all about people succumbing to the worst versions of themselves feels like a jab at the NA's tendency towards grimdark edgelordery.

It's not a particularly well-executed jab, even then. I enjoyed listening to it but it was very much car crash listening.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Actually, on that note: what are regarded as being the actually good 7th Doctor audio adventures? I've started working my way through Big Finish but the Seventh ones seem to be the weakest - other than The Fearmonger none of those I've heard so far have been up to much (I've heard the main range ones up to Shadow of the Scourge).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Live 34 and Colditz are good, I thought.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I dunno, the gimmick of the Scourge being all about people succumbing to the worst versions of themselves feels like a jab at the NA's tendency towards grimdark edgelordery.

It's not a particularly well-executed jab, even then. I enjoyed listening to it but it was very much car crash listening.

It seems pretty much of a piece to me, compared to stuff like Falls The Shadow, Cartmel's War trilogy or Strange England. Even Damaged Goods (RTD) have psychic presences encouraging angst and drama, mixed in with actual angst and drama.

Warthur posted:

Actually, on that note: what are regarded as being the actually good 7th Doctor audio adventures? I've started working my way through Big Finish but the Seventh ones seem to be the weakest - other than The Fearmonger none of those I've heard so far have been up to much (I've heard the main range ones up to Shadow of the Scourge).

He gets a lot of weak stories, plus McCoy often delivers weak performances ngl. People like the stories with Hex a lot, though I think they go to pot after (the very good) A Death In The Family. If you're just going for random stories, I'd recommend Live 34, The Magic Mousetrap, The New Adventures Of Bernice Summerfield (Volumes 1 and 2), The Settling, Red, Valhalla, The Death Collectors and No Man's Land. Plus the Klein arc (the first four-five stories, not the second arc with Will).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warthur posted:

Personally (and looking at a list of 7th doctor audios) I would say Colditz (mostly just to introduce Klein) and then the batch that involve Klein (A thousand tiny wings, klein's story/survival of the fittest and the architects of history), because Klein is a good foil for 7 in my view.

I also like The Harvest (first appearance of Hex and written by Dan Abnett), Live 34 and The Magic Mousetrap.

He gets a lot of weak stories, plus McCoy often delivers weak performances ngl. People like the stories with Hex a lot, though I think they go to pot after (the very good) A Death In The Family. If you're just going for random stories, I'd recommend Live 34, The Magic Mousetrap, The New Adventures Of Bernice Summerfield (Volumes 1 and 2), The Settling, Red, Valhalla, The Death Collectors and No Man's Land. Plus the Klein arc (the first four-five stories, not the second arc with Will).

Hey look at that, lot of crossover in those recommendations.

Edit: Just going to add a general recommendation to avoid any audio that starts with "Project" because while Cavan Scott may have gone on to greater things and seems generally well regarded, anything involving The Forge and Nimrod can get in the bin.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: Just going to add a general recommendation to avoid any audio that starts with "Project" because while Cavan Scott may have gone on to greater things and seems generally well regarded, anything involving The Forge and Nimrod can get in the bin.

I've got the first one of those but it's 6/Evelyn and I really enjoy them, so I will give it a chance and if it turns out I don't enjoy it on any level I won't expect improvement in the later ones.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:shrug: I've always enjoyed them, and they're fairly essential if you're following several different arcs.

Edit: wait, are you buying these, Warthur? A lot of them are available for free on Spotify.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

:shrug: I've always enjoyed them, and they're fairly essential if you're following several different arcs.

Edit: wait, are you buying these, Warthur? A lot of them are available for free on Spotify.
I don't do Spotify.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I can only think of one real ongoing arc they're that important to and you get a brief recap of the relevant details in episodes that arc comes up without having to listen to Stephen Chance playing someone's Best Original Character Do Not Steal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I can only think of one real ongoing arc they're that important to and you get a brief recap of the relevant details in episodes that arc comes up without having to listen to Stephen Chance playing someone's Best Original Character Do Not Steal.

1. Project Lazarus directly sets up Evelyn's leaving arc.
2. Project Destiny is fairly essential to Hex's arc
3. Project Destiny introduces Aristedes, who then goes on to be in a bunch of stories that take the events of PD into assumed knowledge.

And they all rely on Project Twilight.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

UNIT: Dominion is a good 7 story. Especially if you go into it unspoiled.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

1. Project Lazarus directly sets up Evelyn's leaving arc.
2. Project Destiny is fairly essential to Hex's arc
3. Project Destiny introduces Aristedes, who then goes on to be in a bunch of stories that take the events of PD into assumed knowledge.

And they all rely on Project Twilight.

Oh right - I forgot about 1 and 3 completely!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoy Red, though mostly for McCoy's performance when he gets infected. Red. Red. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Isn't Red also the one with the pleasant white noise that plays throughout the whole thing or am I misremembering?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I really enjoyed Bang-Bang-a-Boom!, but I think that depends how you feel about a story which would fit in with Season 24, spoofing 70s sci-fi and is overall very camp and silly.

Plus I think it was a Gareth Roberts one…

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

Isn't Red also the one with the pleasant white noise that plays throughout the whole thing or am I misremembering?

That describes a lot of big finish's output

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Red's story isn't very good for a lot of reasoms but the sound design is great. There is a lot of very soothing white noise present as part of the story, in addition to a very strong vocal performance for the computer system/AI running the facility literally called White Noise.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It requires a lot of knowledge going in, but A Death in the Family is an incredible 7th story.

Other great stories:
The Fires of Vulcan
Dust Breeding
The Dark Flame
Night Thoughts
Robophobia
The Defectors
The Quantum Possibility Engine

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

MrL_JaKiri posted:

5 months is not bafflingly long

Season 13 aired late 2021. They released 4 episodes at the end of 2023. How is it not a long gap that the start of season 14 isn't until mid May?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a long gap between the last full series and the next one, but not between the Christmas special and the next full series

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That describes a lot of big finish's output

lol.

Jerusalem posted:

Red's story isn't very good for a lot of reasoms but the sound design is great. There is a lot of very soothing white noise present as part of the story, in addition to a very strong vocal performance for the computer system/AI running the facility literally called White Noise.

Yeah, this is the one I was thinking of, I don't even remember what happened it but it was very soothing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TRAILER (Disney plus didn’t want to wait, apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhL5ihOUUcs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

TRAILER (Disney plus didn’t want to wait, apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhL5ihOUUcs

lmao, the David Bowie overlay.

I'm excited, it feels like it will have the typical RTD flops but that he'll give Ncuti Gatwa a lot to chew on. Betting he'll give Matt Smith a run for his money in terms of young talent.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Can see evidence of that disney money in the sfx for sure

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's loving bananas that out of fourteen doctors, there has never been a single bad one, but Gatwa just danced his rear end right into it like it was written for him from the start.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope there's a multi-doctor episode sometime soon with RTD writing 13, 6, and 8 with 15. It'd be nice for them to all have a good TV episode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope there's a multi-doctor episode sometime soon with RTD writing 13, 6, and 8 with 15. It'd be nice for them to all have a good TV episode.

I mean 8 got a quarter of a good episode. Ish. About.

I also feel like Whittaker is going to take a long time away from the show if she ever does come back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty sure if we didn't get a multi-doctor story for the 60th (the last few minutes of The Giggle notwithstanding,) we're not geting one, which makes me quite sad.

Have they ever done one that wasn't an anniversary?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Pretty sure if we didn't get a multi-doctor story for the 60th (the last few minutes of The Giggle notwithstanding,) we're not geting one, which makes me quite sad.

Have they ever done one that wasn't an anniversary?

The Two Doctors wasn't as far as I recall.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If they could recapture Eleven's Series Five energy and pair him with Ncuti...

Perhaps with Twelve filling the Grump role

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still don't understand why we haven't done one with every living Doctor and maybe even all the old companions. I'm shocked the 50th didn't do it, and it wasn't so amazing I'd be angry about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You realize how many Doctors there have been, right? The Five Doctors had too many mouths to feed, and there were only four Doctors in it!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, the idea of every living Doctor coming back sounds awful. Also, you kind of got that with the last episode for Thirteen.

RTD has also gone on record saying he doesn't like multi-Doc episodes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Lawrence Miles is the Harlan Ellison of Doctor Who novels. Some brilliant ideas and writing, possibly some of the best books in the EDA range.

Also a complete inability to play nicely with others, and a grudge list he's determined to hold onto.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Theres the rub, the more multiple Doctor episodes we get the less special they'd become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

True, but it's awesome watching The Doctor talk to themselves.