Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
One of the black-and-white seasons
Season 7
Season 11
Season 13
Season 15
The Key to Time
Season 21
Season 25
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, the idea of every living Doctor coming back sounds awful. Also, you kind of got that with the last episode for Thirteen.

RTD has also gone on record saying he doesn't like multi-Doc episodes.

And yet he has already done one and is the second showrunner to have two doctors at once as new Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

LividLiquid posted:

Have they ever done one that wasn't an anniversary?

I don’t think Twice Upon a Time was an anniversary(?)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I can see them bringing back 14, since it feels like there's maybe some more room for character development to happen there, but otherwise I'd rather they didn't do another multi-Doctor story.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back all the dead Clara's for a multi-clara episode. We never got to see her interact with her selves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That butterfly joke :kiss:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Robert J. Omb posted:

I don’t think Twice Upon a Time was an anniversary(?)
I suppose you're right! For some reason I don't count that or Power. The former because more what I mean is the original actors, though it's still fun even when it's, say, Matt Smith and Flesh Matt Smith, so Twice counts. It was a good time and I enjoyed it.

Maybe the latter I don't count because it was happening in Thirteen's mind. I don't know. My brain is weird.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Khanstant posted:

And yet he has already done one and is the second showrunner to have two doctors at once as new Doctors.

I'm not sure I follow what examples these are?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
14 & 15 together in a special, and 13 & Fugitive Doctor. I'm just goofing, those are distinct from a "multi doctors" type specials.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The 10th doctor and the next doctor:colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I admit that it's something that could easily become a crutch, or overdone, but there have only been a handful of them in sixty years.

You're all right, of course. Like with River. I want something that would only end up breaking my heart if it didn't turn out amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's time we met the Doctor's family, like his brother Cletus.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I see that RTD is right back into having the Doctor lie to a companion family that he'll keep them safe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah it should really be a "I'll try but sometimes we run into the end of all time or a monster that eats only time travel companions and poo poo happens, but it's still safer than driving in a highway so be prepared.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care if they stop being special, I like seeing the Doctors argue amongst themselves (themself?)

It’s also an avenue for giving previous Docs with garbage/nonexistent tv eras (*cough* 6, 8, 13, Fugitive *cough*) a chance to actually shine for once outside of audios/books.

The only real danger in having more multi-Doc episodes is making sure the current Doc isn’t overshadowed by their predecessors, but that’s an issue you can fix with good writing and not necessarily a flaw in the concept.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
RTD did iirc mention that he thought about having the First Doctor involved in Wild Blue Yonder and decided against it to stay focused, which kind of suggests he's not against multi-doctor stuff in principle

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That butterfly joke :kiss:

I know that it'll be in the first 5 minutes of episode 1 but it would be hilarious if it happened late in the series and she's just like that for the rest of the series

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Muppetjedi posted:

I know that it'll be in the first 5 minutes of episode 1 but it would be hilarious if it happened late in the series and she's just like that for the rest of the series

I know they're doing it as a joke, but I'm kind of curious how RTD walks out of it because Doctor Who (and most stories that want to use time travel as a concept) really shouldn't get into how it interacts with chaos theory because it means every time you go back in time you change literally everything just by being there. Their presence would proliferate through every chaotic system in the world, randomizing everything within two weeks time. You can do something with that, but it's not especially flexible as a concept so it's better to ignore it.

Maybe the Doctor pokes a little dinosaur and everything goes back to normal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Random Stranger posted:

I know they're doing it as a joke, but I'm kind of curious how RTD walks out of it because Doctor Who (and most stories that want to use time travel as a concept) really shouldn't get into how it interacts with chaos theory because it means every time you go back in time you change literally everything just by being there. Their presence would proliferate through every chaotic system in the world, randomizing everything within two weeks time. You can do something with that, but it's not especially flexible as a concept so it's better to ignore it.

I figure one of 3 things; Most likely, quick one off joke as you say. Either the doctor fixes it immediately, or it fixes itself after a minute and the doctor says "Time is largely self correcting, little changes tend to sort themselves out" or similar. Less likely but still not entirely possible it ties into the episodes plot (this time traveling scientist has invented a time machine that damages the very fabric of space and time and exaggerates the butterfly effect until the doctor fixes it). Or, wild swing here, its tied into a plot arc for the season along with "mavity". Doubt she'll be looking like that for longer than an episode (and probably less than 2 minutes) in any case, for budgetary reasons if nothing else.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The "is that a monster" bit looks to take place in close proximity to the dinosaurs bit, so my guess is there'll be a quick montage early in episode 1 where he shows her he can go to the past and the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the dinosaurs bit cuts back to them on the Tardis looking normal, "anyway," then the monster on a spaceship bit, then they land in a 45 minute adventure somewhere

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

2house2fly posted:

The "is that a monster" bit looks to take place in close proximity to the dinosaurs bit, so my guess is there'll be a quick montage early in episode 1 where he shows her he can go to the past and the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the dinosaurs bit cuts back to them on the Tardis looking normal, "anyway," then the monster on a spaceship bit, then they land in a 45 minute adventure somewhere

The "is that a monster" bit is the main plot/setting of the first episode as confirmed by Doctor Who Unleashed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

"There's no such thing as monsters, just creatures you haven't met yet," is a fantastic line for the Doctor. Looking forward to this season.

Multi Doctor episodes are fun, but they absolutely should not occur in a Doctor's first season. Give this Doctor a chance to define himself on his own, especially after his odd introduction as the guest in another Doctor's story. And then in his second season let David Tennant's 14 be a part-time companion or some poo poo, go wild.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We also are getting mini seasons so there is even less screen time to spend with the new Doctor who already has potential competition.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just sneak the other Doctors into the backgrounds of scenes without explanation, rhyme, or reason

Stick the Wax Tom to the ceiling of a bar Ncuti and Ruby are partying in with a bandoleer of wine bottles strapped to it

...No, wait, that's the real Tom :stare:

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
That Ncuti fella is just an insanely charismatic fellow, ain't he. The next few years could be utter dreck from a writing standpoint and I suspect he can salvage it with the force of sheer enthusiasm alone.

SiKboy posted:

I figure one of 3 things; Most likely, quick one off joke as you say. Either the doctor fixes it immediately, or it fixes itself after a minute and the doctor says "Time is largely self correcting, little changes tend to sort themselves out" or similar. Less likely but still not entirely possible it ties into the episodes plot (this time traveling scientist has invented a time machine that damages the very fabric of space and time and exaggerates the butterfly effect until the doctor fixes it). Or, wild swing here, its tied into a plot arc for the season along with "mavity". Doubt she'll be looking like that for longer than an episode (and probably less than 2 minutes) in any case, for budgetary reasons if nothing else.

That might not be as wild of a swing as you think. 14 regretted 'invoking a superstition' about salt on the edge of the universe, there's Mavity, Kate burying the Toymakers box in salt because myth is suddenly now true, bigeneration also being a timelord myth that is also now suddenly true, there was a bunch of blink-and-miss-them lines when they were on the goblin ship about 15 trying to understand a whole new set of rules of the universe afterwards and how fate and belief and myth and legend are now a things that really exist in the world, and now a butterfly effect joke and the trailer is literally set to David Bowie's Changes. I think that's evidence to count as a full on theme. The universe is somehow fundamentally different to the universe before 14 did the salt thing and let the Toymaker in.

This SFX shot of London is really annoying me in the most goony pedantic dorky way. Maybe it's because I live about 10 minutes walk away from where she's standing and walk past that point just about every day, but the Thames is not remotely that shape. You can't see either St Pauls or Tower Bridge from there, the river bends almost 90 degrees long before it gets to St Pauls. They'd both be way out of shot to the right from there. And there's about 7 bridges missing between there and Tower Bridge. They just removed the whole of Southwark from existing. Which wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to happen to Southwark, but still.

Maybe that's another 'change'? But I suspect they just wanted to shove famous London stuff into the shot, and in reality she'd be staring at a bunch of big, but relatively forgettable Victorian office blocks housing various government departments from there so whatever.

Also, there's a whole bunch of landmarks missing - no London eye, no City skyscrapers, no Isle of Dogs, but given what she's wearing that might not be present day London. What's there would all fit with an alternative 60s-mid90s London - another bit one for a theme of time being constantly rewritten?

This post might be the dorkiest 6 paragraphs I've ever written, I'm very proud.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nukes did it. Shortened and straightened the whole Thames.

I've worked both at Parliament and St Thomas's so this annoys me too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Random Stranger posted:

I think The Time Travellers by Jim Mortimore jumps on this; it's a very timey-wimey book with Ian and Barbara going to 2005 and it's a dystopian hellhole, because the First Doctor hasn't dealt with the War Machines yet. But it suggests that every time they leave the TARDIS, it alters history. And that's why the Doctor never really goes back to see anyone, it's not the 'them' he remembers precisely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

That Ncuti fella is just an insanely charismatic fellow, ain't he. The next few years could be utter dreck from a writing standpoint and I suspect he can salvage it with the force of sheer enthusiasm alone.

That might not be as wild of a swing as you think. 14 regretted 'invoking a superstition' about salt on the edge of the universe, there's Mavity, Kate burying the Toymakers box in salt because myth is suddenly now true, bigeneration also being a timelord myth that is also now suddenly true, there was a bunch of blink-and-miss-them lines when they were on the goblin ship about 15 trying to understand a whole new set of rules of the universe afterwards and how fate and belief and myth and legend are now a things that really exist in the world, and now a butterfly effect joke and the trailer is literally set to David Bowie's Changes. I think that's evidence to count as a full on theme. The universe is somehow fundamentally different to the universe before 14 did the salt thing and let the Toymaker in.

This SFX shot of London is really annoying me in the most goony pedantic dorky way. Maybe it's because I live about 10 minutes walk away from where she's standing and walk past that point just about every day, but the Thames is not remotely that shape. You can't see either St Pauls or Tower Bridge from there, the river bends almost 90 degrees long before it gets to St Pauls. They'd both be way out of shot to the right from there. And there's about 7 bridges missing between there and Tower Bridge. They just removed the whole of Southwark from existing. Which wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to happen to Southwark, but still.

Maybe that's another 'change'? But I suspect they just wanted to shove famous London stuff into the shot, and in reality she'd be staring at a bunch of big, but relatively forgettable Victorian office blocks housing various government departments from there so whatever.

Also, there's a whole bunch of landmarks missing - no London eye, no City skyscrapers, no Isle of Dogs, but given what she's wearing that might not be present day London. What's there would all fit with an alternative 60s-mid90s London - another bit one for a theme of time being constantly rewritten?

This post might be the dorkiest 6 paragraphs I've ever written, I'm very proud.

Rivers aren't exactly known for keeping one shape, takes a lot of heavy engineering to keep them in place once folks start settling on them. Humanity pretty regularly gets wiped out on Earth so I reckon plenty of time between rebuild periods for the river to shift up again. The similar buildings are just future Brits trying to recapture the past.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfechu posted:

I think The Time Travellers by Jim Mortimore jumps on this; it's a very timey-wimey book with Ian and Barbara going to 2005 and it's a dystopian hellhole, because the First Doctor hasn't dealt with the War Machines yet. But it suggests that every time they leave the TARDIS, it alters history. And that's why the Doctor never really goes back to see anyone, it's not the 'them' he remembers precisely.

There was Pyramids Of Mars as well, where Sarah Jane suggests peacing out halfway through the adventure and the Doctor takes her to the modern day earth which is wiped clean of life because they didn't stop Sutekh

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I can see that last line being a big part of it, a quick way of showing how the Doctor has an innate sense for the flows and currents of time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The_Doctor posted:

Nukes did it. Shortened and straightened the whole Thames.

I've worked both at Parliament and St Thomas's so this annoys me too.

Welcome to (almost)EVERY TIME New Orleans is portrayed in just about every sort of media, for me. NOLA only exists as a fun house mirror version of itself in the public consciousness.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A.o.D. posted:

Welcome to (almost)EVERY TIME New Orleans is portrayed in just about every sort of media, for me. NOLA only exists as a fun house mirror version of itself in the public consciousness.

Out of curiosity, how was Treme for you? Better or did it just pay lip service to trying to be an accurate representation of New Orleans in the aftermath/rebuilding from Katrina?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.o.D. posted:

Ha! I lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years, so I feel that one too!

I’m currently writing something set in nola and I’m trying my hardest to make it a more realistic take on the city.

EDIT: if you can, track down a copy of the EDA ‘City of the Dead’, it’s very good. There’s some mildly cringey bits, but Lloyd Rose has done lots of research.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 24, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Out of curiosity, how was Treme for you? Better or did it just pay lip service to trying to be an accurate representation of New Orleans in the aftermath/rebuilding from Katrina?

It was fine, good even, mostly because it was about the people and the realities of post-Katrina New Orleans and didn't just use a few landmarks as set dressing. The frustration, anger, and despair was all too real.

Homer Simpson's restaurant tour was pretty cool, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Homer Simpson's restaurant tour was pretty cool, too.

It’s wild only like 2 of those places have closed.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Pretty sure that is from the 60s episode, the shot just a couple of seconds after that has the Doctor in his 60s outfit holding her and looking at (presumably) the same devastation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It’s wild only like 2 of those places have closed.

A lot of those places were institutions, but it was nice that they not only left the Quarter, but also the parish for some of those goodies.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Alien Heart/Dalek Soul was one of Big Finish's experiments with two two part stories on one release. And honestly, there's nothing really special about Alien Heart. The Fifth Doctor and Nyssa meet some bug things, turns out it's a dalek weapon, you know the score. The second half, Dalek Soul is fantastic - properly fleshing out what does it mean to be a Dalek Duplicate? They're an interesting concept that never really get explored that much, but this story nails it. To say more is to give it away, but Davison and Sutton excel in this one.

The Fourth Wall - Flip is pretty great, isn't she? Sadly Lisa Greenwood's extended illness has meant we haven't had many stories between Six and Flip recently, but it seems like she's started to record again recently. In The Fourth Wall, Flip gets trapped in a pocket dimension being used to create a low budget sci-fi TV show - while this seems like it's a chance for easy "boy, wasn't Doctor Who cheaply made and the sets wobbled" metahumour, there's a broad enough variety of jokes about TV production, and an almost Westworld-esque subtext about the relationship between humans and fiction.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

There was Pyramids Of Mars as well, where Sarah Jane suggests peacing out halfway through the adventure and the Doctor takes her to the modern day earth which is wiped clean of life because they didn't stop Sutekh

I assumed that bit in the trailer was a direct reference. And we know that Pyramids is one of RTDs favorite stories.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

https://deadline.com/2024/03/bbc-doctor-who-ai-complaints-1235867333/

BBC have dropped the plans to use AI as a marketing experiment for the show, after the uproar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That’s probably for the best, lest we get a Willy’s Chocolate Experience case on the BBC’s hands.